Thread: Crawlspace......?

Xtreme Addict

Crawlspace......?

Ok, I realize from lurking that many things have been tried for cooling the water, but I am wondering about the crawl space under this house.......

I put the outdoor probe of a general househould indoor/outdoor thermometer into the crawlspace. The Thermometer is probably accurate to +/- 1C=~2F. The temp in the crawlspace was 16.6C/62F--ambient in this room was 26.6C/80F. It dropped to about 13.8C/57F, before the sun went down.

I am thinking about this for the pc below:

E8400
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Crucial Ballistix 4x 1GB PC6400 800 w/ OCZ XTC cooler
    2x Seagate 500g 32mb sata
    Asus 8800GT

Current WCing:

Swifty MCR-220 rad w/ 4x 120mm fans push/pull (~74cfm each)
    Apogee GT--cpu
    MCW30--NB
    Single 5.25 bay Res
    MCP350 DDC
    3/8" ID Primochill tubing

Res>Pump>CPU>NB>Rad>Res

What I am thinking is probably pretty obvious to most of you.

Would it be worth while to connect into the current setup (quick disconnects), run tubing into the crawlspace to a MCR320 with 6 fans in push/pull? Yes, I would need another pump--that gets into the whole 2 pumps in one loop situation.....I've read the threads and I understand what's said, but this situation is a bit different.

I'm looking for ideas to make this work, or issues as to why it won't work (2 pumps, etc), isn't worth while, etc......

Hamster Powered
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    Is this the air under the crawl spacer or in the dirt? I never thought about putting the rad under there, but what about a long copper tubed wrap in large coils buried under the ground. Or would that be horrible inefficient?

The fans under the crawl space would be good. would you have it to an external power source? what about rain?

The link above it nuts.
    Abit IP35 Pro
    Intel Q6700
    Crucial Ballistics Tracers 4x1gb 1066 DDR2
    ATI X1800XT
    Seagate 250gb / 750gb SATA
    OCZ 600w
    Swiftech Storm, GPU, Pump, Res, BI GT240 Stealth

Xtreme Addict
    well i dont know what your guys crawlspaces are like in florida ^^
    but here in NY i have only seen once attached to the basement in some way.
    i think that it would be a great idea.

instead of 2 pumps why not just get 1 really powerful pump?
    Quote Originally Posted by NKrader View Post
    just start taking pics of peoples kids the parents will come talk to you shortly. if you have a big creepy van it works faster

Xtreme Cruncher
    Two pumps in the same loop is fine as long as the pumps are the same.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Naja002 View Post
    Ok, I realize from lurking that many things have been tried for cooling the water, but I am wondering about the crawl space under this house.......

I put the outdoor probe of a general househould indoor/outdoor thermometer into the crawlspace. The Thermometer is probably accurate to +/- 1C=~2F. The temp in the crawlspace was 16.6C/62F--ambient in this room was 26.6C/80F. It dropped to about 13.8C/57F, before the sun went down.

I am thinking about this for the pc below:

E8400
    Asus P5E-VM HDMI
    Crucial Ballistix 4x 1GB PC6400 800 w/ OCZ XTC cooler
    2x Seagate 500g 32mb sata
    Asus 8800GT

Current WCing:

Swifty MCR-220 rad w/ 4x 120mm fans push/pull (~74cfm each)
    Apogee GT--cpu
    MCW30--NB
    Single 5.25 bay Res
    MCP350 DDC
    3/8" ID Primochill tubing

Res>Pump>CPU>NB>Rad>Res

What I am thinking is probably pretty obvious to most of you.

Would it be worth while to connect into the current setup (quick disconnects), run tubing into the crawlspace to a MCR320 with 6 fans in push/pull? Yes, I would need another pump--that gets into the whole 2 pumps in one loop situation.....I've read the threads and I understand what's said, but this situation is a bit different.

I'm looking for ideas to make this work, or issues as to why it won't work (2 pumps, etc), isn't worth while, etc......
    keep watching my build as it's coming together just great

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=185867

Banned
    as for the buried copper pipe .. well alot of GREEN blgd's are now starting to use that for cooling but it take alot of excavation work & a really,really long run of pipe buried at least 3 feet to get a consitant temp all year unless yer in the "hard all day freeze zones" of the north & a huge pump
    google = passive earth cooling
    here's an interesting link
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...ling.htm#Other

Xtreme Addict
    Subscribed! You betcha!

Quote Originally Posted by redphoenix View Post
    Is this the air under the crawl spacer or in the dirt? I never thought about putting the rad under there, but what about a long copper tubed wrap in large coils buried under the ground. Or would that be horrible inefficient?

The fans under the crawl space would be good. would you have it to an external power source? what about rain?

The link above it nuts.
    Its an air space that varies from about 1-2'. I would attach the rad/fans up as far off the ground as possible, so rain shoudn't be a problem--but humidity might!

Someone did the pipe buried under the ground. I can't remember if it was pc or aquarium related (pc, I think). I've thought about trying it, but I've been thinking about a lot of different things lately! Here it is: 10-15C water from underground "radiator" pics

If I used standard 120mm pc fans--then the power would just be from an ATX psu with an extension and weather-proofed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by ripken204 View Post
    well i dont know what your guys crawlspaces are like in florida ^^
    but here in NY i have only seen once attached to the basement in some way.
    i think that it would be a great idea.

instead of 2 pumps why not just get 1 really powerful pump?
    Odds are I will need to buy a pump. I have 2 MCP350s, and I would like to pick up a MCP355. But according to the info below--I would have to run this with the 2x 350s, and swap the 355 into my other pc. Make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by Polizei View Post
    Two pumps in the same loop is fine as long as the pumps are the same.

Are You sure? What I got out of reading was that 1 will always be weaker than the other and eventually burn out. Maybe I read something wrong or got lost along the way, but I'm thinking that its the same even with identical pumps.....

What about the possiblity of 1 larger pump and putting the MCP350 on a switch to turn on/off. I have the switch and could mount it in short order. Would the 350 in the line create much drag/resistance if its not running?

This pc is actually "Lanparty-portable" (SFF-Modded-Lian Li PC-V350b). I want to keep the 350 in the system--for portability. But what about the 1x bigger pump for when its here at "home-base"?

Quote Originally Posted by bigslappy View Post
    keep watching my build as it's coming together just great

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=185867
    Too Cool! Literally! But beyond what I'm looking to do. Definitely Subscribed though! I missed Your thread, because I've been hanging out on the TEC forum. Kinda bored and looking for a project--like I don't already have enough of those!

Quote Originally Posted by bigslappy View Post
    as for the buried copper pipe .. well alot of GREEN blgd's are now starting to use that for cooling but it take alot of excavation work & a really,really long run of pipe buried at least 3 feet to get a consitant temp all year unless yer in the "hard all day freeze zones" of the north & a huge pump
    google = passive earth cooling
    here's an interesting link
    http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects...ling.htm#Other
    Sweet link. I have no desire to go down 3', but I do have runs that are shaded pretty much all day. I've been tossing this idea around for a bit too. Also, just skipping the rad/fans and running ~50' of copper pipe in the crawl space.....

Open to all ideas, suggestions and guidance....!
    Last edited by Naja002; 05-15-2008 at 05:51 AM.

Xtreme Member
    There's another thread about setting up a crawl-space cooling loop on here.

One thing that's bugged me about the idea (in both threads now), is this:

If the crawl-space ambient temp is really that much cooler than the ambient temp in the room the computer is housed in,
    and the loop works to bring temps down closer to the crawl-space ambient, then wouldn't you have to worry about
    condensation just like the chilled-water/phase-change cooling setups do?????? I don't think I've seen anyone mention that before.

Xtreme Member
    That would be extreme a geothermal cooled PC
    Shadowtester

Shuttle SG33G5B
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Quad-Core Processor 2.4GHz OverClocked 3.321GHz average 42c using SMP F@H Linux Client
    G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK DDR2-1066 PC2-8500 2048mb x2
    Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200 RPM 16MB
    LiteOn LH-20A1L-05 20X SATA DVD Burner Black DVD±RW

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post

If the crawl-space ambient temp is really that much cooler than the ambient temp in the room the computer is housed in,
    and the loop works to bring temps down closer to the crawl-space ambient, then wouldn't you have to worry about
    condensation just like the chilled-water/phase-change cooling setups do?????? I don't think I've seen anyone mention that before.
    I've already thought about it, but right now its not an issue for me. I'm more concerned about whether its worth the time and $$$, and just overall hassle.

Yes, during the winter I see condensation as a serious problem, but for now--I really wouldn't know until I set everything up and check out the temps..... If so, then the board would need to be insulated. No big deal since that's already been figured/sorted out! And would set me up to pursue direct TEC or a TEC chiller in the future.....

Its a pretty low-cost solution, if its practical.....

I have a blue 55gal barrel that I've thought about turning into a reservior.....

Got lots of old ideas here---just not sure which to pursue, and I would like to get the 2x pump answer--or ddc on switch + bigger pump--then I could probably pursue all of it: Crawlspace rad and crawlspace 50' pipe......with and w/o the 55gal drum.......

I don't mind doing the work--just don't want to dump a bunch of $$$ for nothing too.....
    Last edited by Naja002; 05-15-2008 at 04:44 AM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post

Humm!
    we'll see when i get to that point but I'm in California & the humidty is not a problem like in other areas but i am addressing that issue with the next stage
    as the cooler is a mock up stage right now ( works great) & have now plans of going forward with a sheet metal version BUT 1st i'll do testing on my test bed

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, I just picked up a Magdrive 9.5 pump. Looks like I'm going to do the 60' of copper pipe (M type) in the crawlspace. I'm going to keep the maze of pipe within 14' x 3', so that if it has much effect--I can then bury it under a flower bed that needs redone.

3/4" M type copper pipe, 0.875"OD, 0.811" ID.

My calculations give 165 sq. ft. surface area of 0.032" thick copper.

Crawlspace temp: ~15C/60F
    Ambient temp in this room: ~26C/78F
    WC PC temp via Real Temp crunching Rosetta: ~44C/111F

Can anybody give me an idea of what to expect?
    Last edited by Naja002; 05-15-2008 at 03:50 PM.