Thread: Taking ownership of System32 folder

Xtreme Member

Exclamation Taking ownership of System32 folder

Hi guys,

Do you know some way to take ownership (full control) of system32 directory when I'm not admin?

Some registry way, or bat file... something...

I need it ASAP.

Thanks,

Xtreme Member
    Isn't it against forum rules to offer up advise or ask for advice on hacking. If you need administrative permissions to do what you want and you don't have them then you are essentially trying to hack the system.
    Ntech Duo podcast covers tech news, products reviews, gaming, and any other technology related item.
    Listen to Ntech Duo Podcast
    Ntech Duo Blog and Show notes

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mpilchfamily View Post
    Isn't it against forum rules to offer up advise or ask for advice on hacking. If you need administrative permissions to do what you want and you don't have them then you are essentially trying to hack the system.
    Yes m8 I'm trying to hacking my own system...

I just lost the admin password access of some shop rig and need access to system32 using user account.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Hey Daniel, do the following ( assuming it's a Windows XP box )

Get into Safe Mode ( that logs you in as admin ) and open up a CMD Prompt and type:

net user USERNAME NEWPASSWORD

for example if the administrative account that you lost its password is "JohnQ", and you want to set a new password, 1234 you have to type:

net user JohnQ 1234

After confirming the command ( enter ) restart the PC get into normal mode and log in with your new password.
    Coding 24/7... Limited forums/PMs time.

-Justice isn't blind, Justice is ashamed.

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Hey Daniel, do the following ( assuming it's a Windows XP box )

Get into Safe Mode ( that logs you in as admin ) and open up a CMD Prompt and type:

net user USERNAME NEWPASSWORD

for example if the administrative account that you lost its password is "JohnQ", and you want to set a new password, 1234 you have to type:

net user JohnQ 1234

After confirming the command ( enter ) restart the PC get into normal mode and log in with your new password.
    you mean, say you only got a limited account in XP, and you just gotta go into safe mode to create a new password for an admin account...and even though you're on a limited account, you're logged in as admin in safe mode ...so you could just as well create a new admin account , bypass any restricted policy applied on your account etc...

too bad I haven't got an XP box anymore, I would have loved to check all this. Honestly I hardly believe it...

from what I just read, limited accounts are not even listed in the Welcome panel of XP in safe mode. And I doubt a limited account could log in from the classic logon interface, as admin rights are required obviously in safe mode.
    Last edited by Logos; 05-14-2008 at 03:10 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Quote Originally Posted by Logos4 View Post
    you mean, say you only got a limited account in XP, and you just gotta go into safe mode to create a new password for an admin account...and even though you're on a limited account, you're logged in as admin in safe mode ...so you could just as well create a new admin account , bypass any restricted policy applied on your account etc...

too bad I haven't got an XP box anymore, I would have loved to check all this. Honestly I hardly believe it...

from what I just read, limited accounts are not even listed in the Welcome panel of XP in safe mode. And I doubt a limited account could log in from the classic logon interface, as admin rights are required obviously in safe mode.
    Typical Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 installation.
    Two users, the "administrator" account named "BenchZowner" ( the one you pick during Windows Setup ) and another account, a limited user named "Limited".
    Let's say I forgot my password for "BenchZowner".
    Enter Windows XP in Safe Mode, open up CMD, type:
    net user BenchZowner newpassword4bill ( press Enter )
    exit, restart pc.
    Login with "BenchZowner" account using the new password ( newpassword4bill ).

If you're still looking for proof that this works... I can take a ( cr*ppy ) video of the process with my cellphone ( I left the camera at my other house ).

Edit: Just saw your edit. Safe mode doesn't allow you to use your limited account, but lets you log in with a Administrative account named "Administrator" which is automatically created. ( not the Windows Setup administrative account which is BenchZowner in this case )

Many thanks to: Sue Wu, Yiwen Lin, Steven Kuo, Crystal Chen, Vivian Lien, Joe Chan, Sascha Krohn, Joe James, Dan Snyder, Amy Deng, Jack Peterson, Hank Peng, Mafalda Cogliani, Olivia Lee, Marta Piccoli, Mike Clements, Alex Ruedinger, Oliver Baltuch, Korinna Dieck, Steffen Eisentein, Francois Piednoel, Tanja Markovic, Cyril Pelupessy (R.I.P. ), Juan J. Guerrero

Xtreme Addict
    the threadstarter did seem to have no access whatsoever to any admin account, either the one automatically created during the setup process, or the one you create with your name when you log in to Windows for the first time. Thought we were talking about a limited account issue all the way long here, which can't be solved unless Windows is either hacked or reinstalled. Now if the guy has still got access to the automatically created admin account, I can't see where's his problem. Don't even need to go into safe mode, unless he's got the bloody MS welcome screen on.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    the threadstarter did seem to have no access whatsoever to any admin account, either the one automatically created during the setup process, or the one you create with your name when you log in to Windows for the first time. Thought we were talking about a limited account issue all the way long here, which can't be solved unless Windows is either hacked or reinstalled. Now if the guy has still got access to the automatically created admin account, I can't see where's his problem. Don't even need to go into safe mode, unless he's got the bloody MS welcome screen on.
    You didn't realize what I said.
    On my PC there are only 2 accounts, "BenchZowner" ( admin rights ) and "Limited".
    If you boot in Safe Mode it shows up a "Administrator" account ( not listed anywhere ) and allows you to log in with that.

I'm pretty sure you can find a Windows XP rig near you and test it yourself

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    You didn't realize what I said.
    On my PC there are only 2 accounts, "BenchZowner" ( admin rights ) and "Limited".
    If you boot in Safe Mode it shows up a "Administrator" account ( not listed anywhere ) and allows you to log in with that.

I'm pretty sure you can find a Windows XP rig near you and test it yourself
    look, if you reread my post you might realize that I mentioned this default admin account as well, already passworded during the setup of Windows (just after you set the time zone ), and not listed until you've used it...which is hardly needed unless you really had a named admin account, and lost the password. What I'm saying is that the threadstarter doesn't even know the password of this default admin account either, which he should if he had installed Windows himself. So the guy won't even be able to use that default account to login and change the password of his other (with his name) admin account. OK no big deal
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    look, if you reread my post you might realize that I mentioned this default admin account as well, already passworded during the setup of Windows (just after you set the time zone ), and not listed until you've used it...which is hardly needed unless you really had a named admin account, and lost the password. What I'm saying is that the threadstarter doesn't even know the password of this default admin account either, which he should if he had installed Windows himself. So the guy won't even be able to use that default account to login and change the password of his other (with his name) admin account. OK no big deal
    The account used in Windows Setup IS PASSWORDED

To set this straight, I'm not using any password at all to enter safe mode.

However this trick doesn't work always ( different setups, and of course will not work if the system admin modified the registry and g. policy to prevent the usage of this command ).

However #2 there are also other ways to get in
    Last edited by BenchZowner; 05-14-2008 at 05:20 AM.