Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel ICHxR RAID Data Recovery 101

Intel ICHxR RAID Data Recovery 101

Just posting up some useful information for those who need to repair a broken raid on Intel chipsets.

Sometimes a drive can drop out of the raid set and get reset to "non-raid disk and when this happens it can be a nightmare and you can lose data if not handled properly.

Do not go into the CTRL-I raid utility to fix, this will destroy the data as it resets back to raid disk.

You need a few applications downloaded from the net from www.runtime.org.

You will need a PC that boots and has plenty of connectors for the raid drives you need to get data from.

Connect the drives and boot into windows with raid drives connected, do not enable raid for those drives, just connect and boot into windows.

Windows will go though its discovery and stuff, let it finish but dont go into the drive system manger panel in windows.

Download and run Raid Reconstructor and tell it what raid level you had and select what drives are from the raid set. If you had raid 5 it needs all but one drive to reconstruct the set or it can use all drives, it didnt seem to make a difference in speed. Once Raid Reconstructor runs it quick wizard to figure out stripe and block size it will then prompt you to start up Captain Nemo or Getmydataback NTFS. I used GMDB NTFS.

Raid Reconstructor then feeds its discovery map into GMDB and begins the rebuild process, it will scan the entire raid set for all data and display the directory structure. You can then copy the data from the damaged raid onto a hard disk or whatever you have to hold the data you want to recover.

When a disk drops from raid, the map information is lost and this is why you cannot just reset back to a raid disk. With the information from Raid Reconstructor it is possible to reset the drive back to raid when you pay for the $299 service. I am yet to go that route but I was successful in a raid 5 recovery of all data.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
    GTX 2080 ti Galax Hall of Fame
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    GRX 1080ti Galax Hall of Fame
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

Xtreme Mentor
    Sticky.
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    can confirm fugger's observations!

about 2 weeks ago, one of my disks died! this was no problem for the raid 1 volume on the disks, but the raid 0 volume where my xp installation sits was to be called lost.

as i expected the electronic module on the disk as the faulting part and i had nothing to loose anymore i decided to do some research and found Runtime Software on the net.

using the electonic module from another identical drive on the defective disk and "RAID Reconstructor" from runtime, i was able to recover all data of my raid 0 volume!

great product to recommend. also take a look at their imaging software DriveImage XML which is free to download. this software, like RAID Reconstructor can also be integrated in BartPE via Plugins allowing you to create a bootable cd with all the tools you need ...
    Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    Memory: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
    Video Card: MSI N680GTX Lightning
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 650W
    Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B

Xtreme Member
    Sounds like some very useful information.

Would this 'RAID reconstructor' also be necessary for RAID1 arrays?

I have heard stories where people could only recover failed RAID1 arrays (the spare disk that is still in good health) when it was attached to the original controller.

Since it is a plain mirror i am quite puzzled as to how this would be necessary.

Is this the case with Intel ICHxR controllers?
    Da_maniaC's Rig (Eclipse) | Client / Server port for DooM!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Da_maniaC View Post
    Would this 'RAID reconstructor' also be necessary for RAID1 arrays?

Is this the case with Intel ICHxR controllers?
    no, you should not need it for a raid 1 array. its the idea of raid 1 to be able to access data after the failure of a single drive (assuming two drives in the array).

the system will boot and access data as if there is no problem, tough bios and matrix storage manager will notify you of the failed drive. at least this was the case in my situation working with an intel ich8r.
    Processor: Intel Core i7 990X
    Motherboard: ASUS Rampage III Extreme
    Memory: Corsair CMT6GX3M3A2000C8
    Video Card: MSI N680GTX Lightning
    Power Supply: Seasonic S12 650W
    Case: Chieftec BH-01B-B-B

Xtreme Cruncher
    So this concerns mainly RAID 0?

http://mato78.com - Finnish PC Hardware news & reviews
    BulldogPO @ Twitter

There is another way to restore your RAID array if a disk dropped out. If you have a hardware failure on one of your disks, this way won't work, otherwise it should be fine. It worked for me three times. Note that this way also won't work if your windows install is on the raid array you're trying to recover, because then your pc won't boot.

*I am not responsible for any data loss blablabla, I'm just giving you a possible sollution; from my experience it tends to work*
    1) Enter the Ctrl-I configuration utility. Write your raid level, array size, stripe size and everything else that can be configured on a piece of paper, you'll need this info later.
    2) Delete the Raid-array. Yup, that's right, just throw it away.
    3) Reboot and create a new array just like your old one. If you do not use the full disk for your array, make the array slightly (0.5GB or so) larger than the old one, so you're sure the old one fits on the new one.
    4) Reboot. Don't enter the drive system manger panel in windows. Download and install testdisk. http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
    5) Start testdisk. The program ask you whether or not it should create a log file. It doesn't matter for all I know, so choose whatever you like. Select your brand new raid array. Select 'Intel partition' if you have a regular
    Windows partition. Next choose 'Analyse', then 'Quick search'. If your old array doesn't show up, try 'Deeper search'. Now your partition should show. Select the old partition and press Enter, then 'Write'. Testdisk now
    writes the old partition table on your new array.
    6) Close the program, reboot and everything should be fine.

This is how I always do it, might be worth a try.

Xtreme Member
    basically what is ICHxR?
    or what's the diferences between ICH9R?

SILVERSTONE TJ07 . ASUS RAMPAGE EXTREME . INTEL C2D E8600@ Q822A435 . 6GB CELLSHOCK PC3 15000 . EVGA GTX 285 . WD VELOCIRAPTOR 300HLFS . WD AAKS 640GB ''RAID0 . CORSAIR HX 1000W . X-Fi FATAL1TY TITANIUM . LOGITECH WAVE . G9 LASER . Z5500 . DELL ULTRASHARP 2047WFP
    Aquaero VFD . Enzotech revA . Laing DDC 12v . Black Ice GTS-Lite 360 . Swiftech Mcres Micro . 3/8"
    By MrHydes®

sales
    feedback Techzone

Xtreme Mentor
    The X can stand for any number. ICH6R, 7, 8, 9, 10, etc...
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    book marking this since i am just venturing into matrix raid!
    |Rig|Sold my monster, stuck on a Q8200 and 9500Gt with 4G of ram.

Quote Originally Posted by
    Originally Posted by jimmyz
    This chip is gonna stop piracy like condoms prevented unwanted pregnancies and STD's.

Hello all,

After i defaulted the bios of my P5e3 premium my raid0 array would not boot anymore.

I think the problem is that i saved (and exited) the defaulted bios, before changing the raidcontroller setting from ide to raid. So in other words. I booted my mobo with the incorrect raid controller setting (IDE). With the incorrect setting i did not try to boot my Vista 64bit, I just booted into bios again to change it from ide to raid. But after i set it to the correct setting and tried to boot into vista 64bit it did not work. It says i have to insert bootable media and press a key.

They array seems to be fine and the array is still listed in bios as a bootable device, but the system isnt able to boot from it anymore.

Can anyone confirm that booting the mobo with incorrect raid controller settings will messup the Raid0 bootdevice (partition)?
    Is this a common issue? and is here a work arround?

Kazi
    Lian Li PC-V2100BplusII
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W (one over F noise!!)
    GIGABYTE EX58 Extreme
    Intel Core i7 920 @3Ghz (1.275v)
    Corsair CM3X4096-1600C7DHXIN ver3.1 1.9v(1.7v)@740Mhz
    ATI HD4879X2 GPU@500Mhz Mem@500Mhz
    OCZ Vertex 2 Raid 0
    WD VelociRaptor Riad 0
    Windows 7 64bit OEM
    Cooling:
    1x D-TEK Fuzion 2x Swiftech MCW60
    3x Laing DDC-1PlusT in serial @ 1.3 bar
    Thermochill PA120.3
    1/2" Tubing all quick disconnects
    3x LOOP PARALLEL

Xtreme Addict
    sounds like the MBR is broken. Run the repair utility on the Vista install disk. Also does the raid Rom see your configuration IE Raid 0,1,5 as the same as it was before?
    Desktop:
    Antec 300
    Foxcon A7AD-S 790GX
    8GB Gskill PC-1066@5/5/5/12
    PII X940 BE @3.6GHZ
    Sunbeam Core Contact
    2x 640GB in Raid 0+1
    4870 512MB@800/1000
    Vista Business 64bit W/ SP1

Quote Originally Posted by Kazi View Post
    Hello all,

After i defaulted the bios of my P5e3 premium my raid0 array would not boot anymore.

I think the problem is that i saved (and exited) the defaulted bios, before changing the raidcontroller setting from ide to raid. So in other words. I booted my mobo with the incorrect raid controller setting (IDE). With the incorrect setting i did not try to boot my Vista 64bit, I just booted into bios again to change it from ide to raid. But after i set it to the correct setting and tried to boot into vista 64bit it did not work. It says i have to insert bootable media and press a key.

They array seems to be fine and the array is still listed in bios as a bootable device, but the system isnt able to boot from it anymore.

Can anyone confirm that booting the mobo with incorrect raid controller settings will messup the Raid0 bootdevice (partition)?
    Is this a common issue? and is here a work arround?

Kazi
    You just have to go back into bios and enable all your sata drives again. Happens everytime you go to defaults in bios.
    Themaltake XaserV case
    EVGA 132-CK-NF78 780i
    PSU: Themaltake Toughpower 1000 watt
    CPU: E6750 8x475 lapped 59c AIR prime95 blend stable 24/7
    RAM: Gskill 2x2gb PC2 9600 1200Mhz 5 5 5 15 2T 1.150 volts
    GPU: GTX280 @756/1566/1296
    HDD: WD 2x250GB Raid0
    SND: Xonar D2
    OPT: Samsung Super Write Master D/L burner
    HS: Xigmatek S1283 w/TT 120mm smartfan
    Op sys: Vista x64 Home Premium
    Monitor: Hanns:G 22"
    Vantage 15586
    http://service.futuremark.com/result...eResultType=19

Quote Originally Posted by FUGGER View Post
    Just posting up some useful information for those who need to repair a broken raid on Intel chipsets.

Sometimes a drive can drop out of the raid set and get reset to "non-raid disk and when this happens it can be a nightmare and you can lose data if not handled properly.

Do not go into the CTRL-I raid utility to fix, this will destroy the data as it resets back to raid disk.

You need a few applications downloaded from the net from www.runtime.org.

You will need a PC that boots and has plenty of connectors for the raid drives you need to get data from.

Connect the drives and boot into windows with raid drives connected, do not enable raid for those drives, just connect and boot into windows.

Windows will go though its discovery and stuff, let it finish but dont go into the drive system manger panel in windows.

Download and run Raid Reconstructor and tell it what raid level you had and select what drives are from the raid set. If you had raid 5 it needs all but one drive to reconstruct the set or it can use all drives, it didnt seem to make a difference in speed. Once Raid Reconstructor runs it quick wizard to figure out stripe and block size it will then prompt you to start up Captain Nemo or Getmydataback NTFS. I used GMDB NTFS.

Raid Reconstructor then feeds its discovery map into GMDB and begins the rebuild process, it will scan the entire raid set for all data and display the directory structure. You can then copy the data from the damaged raid onto a hard disk or whatever you have to hold the data you want to recover.

When a disk drops from raid, the map information is lost and this is why you cannot just reset back to a raid disk. With the information from Raid Reconstructor it is possible to reset the drive back to raid when you pay for the $299 service. I am yet to go that route but I was successful in a raid 5 recovery of all data.
    Awesome stuff.

Thank you very much for this....it worked like a charm!

Xtreme Member
    Dont know where else to ask this,

but is it possible to transfer a raid from a ICH7 (975x board) to a newer board with ICH10?
    my buddy, Lian Li A70:
    * Asus P6T Deluxe & Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 + HT, stable @ 1.3875v & 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 Triple Channel Low Voltage & 1X Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    * DELL 30"WFP3007-HC & 2x 4850 CrossFire & X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro & Sennheiser HD595
    * SilverStone Zeus 750W

my liquid setup:
    *cpu EK Supreme Acrylic *rad TFC Xchanger 480QUAD *pump DDC-2 + XPSC reservoir top
    *tubing Tygon B-44-4X 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD + all Feser compression fittings

MY LIAN-LI A70-480QUAD WORKLOG - KAOZZ.COM

Tjelaw, yes Intel RAID has been forward upgradeable for many revs now but going from 7 to 10 I never tried. It might work but you would need newest .inf already on the drive when you boot or you will BSOD on boot.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel
    Intel Optane 900P RAID

I am Xtreme
    I ahve done this, and as Fugger suggest, install newest chipset driver before migration.

Xtreme Member
    Ok thanks for the info, much appriciated
    my buddy, Lian Li A70:
    * Asus P6T Deluxe & Intel Core i7 920 @ 4.2 + HT, stable @ 1.3875v & 6GB OCZ PC3-12800 Triple Channel Low Voltage & 1X Hitachi Deskstar 1TB
    * DELL 30"WFP3007-HC & 2x 4850 CrossFire & X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro & Sennheiser HD595
    * SilverStone Zeus 750W

my liquid setup:
    *cpu EK Supreme Acrylic *rad TFC Xchanger 480QUAD *pump DDC-2 + XPSC reservoir top
    *tubing Tygon B-44-4X 1/2"ID - 3/4"OD + all Feser compression fittings

MY LIAN-LI A70-480QUAD WORKLOG - KAOZZ.COM

Good info on careful management of dropped RAIDs.

I defend the no nonsense way: a RAId 0 of fast and small drives,like a pair of velociraptors (better yet on a hardware implementation like ASUS easy RAID feature to AVOID OS hassles with ACIH-IDE modes) and and external drive with routine dayly drive image backup:
    A-Not all the dropped RAID 0s can be recovered by softwares, and the solution proposed demands another working machine for the data recovery
    B-failed BIOS setups or failed OSs installs can ruin a RAID, but with a backup drive image RAID recosntruction is direct and much faster than any software solution
    C-A burned electronic circuit in a HD does not mean permanent data loss, like was demonstrated above, but you will still need another HDs circuit board for the repair- just save costs and add and external drive dedicated for image backup: the 300GB velociraptors can be recovered for $80 with Maxtor OneTouch external HD.
    The product information couldnt be more oriented towards the RAID0 velociraptors situation: "Back up your files with a push of a button or set up the software to perform convenient automatic backups.
    Simplifies drive management and backup scheduling
    "

Xtreme Cruncher
    When I lost my raid0 array on my ich8r I just put the disks to IDE in bios, started windows from another HD and recovered the data with raidreconstructor and getdataback. No need for another comp if you have a spare HD.

Xtreme Member
    Thanks a million for this info Fugger!
    It worked like a charm using RaidReconstructor and GetDataBack to recover the data from my two Raptors that I had used in RAID-0!

And now I'll try to do at least weekly backups of the array!

Intel Core i7-5930K(ES) 4.4GHz (100x44) 1.35V
    ASUS Rampage V Extreme 3701
    Corsair Dominator 4x4GB DDR4-3000C15 (15-17-17-35) 1.35V
    ASUS GTX680DCII Top SLI
    1x Intel 750 800GB SSD
    2x Intel 730 240GB SSD RAID-0
    Plextor PX-820SA DVD-RW
    Antec 920
    Corsair Obsidian 750D case w/ Corsair HX1000W PSU

Thanks for posting this, good info.

Quote Originally Posted by BulldogPO View Post
    So this concerns mainly RAID 0?
    RAID 0 is most susceptible, but RAID 1 can have an issue, too. When the first disk of the pair drops, it leaves a perfect copy but that copy may not be bootable. Windows instructs you to test both alone to be sure they boot, apparently because the 'Make Array' function often fails so that you cannot boot directly to the second drive. The MS Knowledge Base doesn't say how to fix it. You have to edit BOOT.INI to correct the entry for the second drive.

Here is the thread from when I had to deal with the problem.

Btw, I never did figure out why the first drive wouldn't boot when re-installed, but if you can boot from the second you can always rebuild it.
    Last edited by DMF; 11-12-2008 at 01:26 PM.

Some more valuable information for using Raid Reconstructor.

As mentioned in Fugger's post, you must disable RAID in the BIOS. But you also must disable AHCI. If you don't, the Intel BIOS can recognize the first disk in the RAID array as the complete RAID drive, which for a 2 disk array is 2x the size of the physical disk.
    Current project: Asus P5B Deluxe
    Core 2 Duo E6700 ES QTOE
    2x1GB PQI Turbo DDR2 667 4-4-4-12
    eVGA 7900GS KO 256MB
    Freezer 7 Pro
    Ultra Aluminus Blue case
    Ultra X-Finity 500W power supply
    250GB Maxtor PATA HD

Stable Media Center: Windows MCE 2k5, Asus P5LD2, Pentium 4 650 (3.4GHz), 2x512MB PQI Turbo DDR2 667 4-4-4-12, Albatron 6600GT, Thermaltake Big Typhoon, Thermaltake Tsunami case, XClio 450BL power supply

I was asked to fix a Intel ICHR stripe where one drives dropped out of set and no longer appeared as a "member disk".

I set it up with the above utilities and one of the drives was physically damaged and it could not complete the image process enough to restore data.

What I did

I hooked both drives up and enabled Intel raid and entered the Raid Utility with CTRL - I
    I deleted the one remaining drive from the raid set and then remade the raid with default settings
    After it rebooted, windows loaded and I was able to copy off critical stuff

I got lucky with this method.
    Intel 9990XE @ 5.1Ghz
    64GB Galax Hall of Fame
    Intel Optane
    Platimax 1245W

Intel 3175X
    Asus Dominus Extreme
    96GB Patriot Steel