Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Review: Solid State Drives

Worlds Fastest F5

Review: Solid State Drives

SSD's going from strength to strength here

Last edited by Biker; 05-11-2008 at 04:38 AM.
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Wanna look under my kilt?
    MMMMMmmmmMMmMmmMMMMMmmMMmmmMMm
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Addict
    All those tests are in 4-way raid0 if got that correctly. How's that relevant to any users here?
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Worlds Fastest F5
    The article covers single drive and RAID 0 performance figures but most of the results are comparing single drives...

Also the more these drives are released to and begin to saturate the market the faster the price will drop and consequently the more relevant they will become to the average Xtreme systems user...

Last edited by Biker; 05-11-2008 at 03:20 PM.
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Guru
    Now drop the price to 1/10 and I'm interested.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Biker View Post
    The article covers single drive and RAID 0 performance figures but most of the results are comparing single drives...

Also the more these drives are released to and begin to saturate the market the faster the price will drop and consequently the more relevant they will become to the average Xtreme systems user...

Yeah you are right. Thats not what they show in the Test setup page. And they also didnt mention which Mtron drive the are comparing it too. Not that i saw anyway
    Seems we made our greatest error when we named it at the start
    for though we called it "Human Nature" - it was cancer of the heart
    CPU: AMD X3 720BE@ 3,4Ghz
    Cooler: Xigmatek S1283(Terrible mounting system for AM2/3)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte 790FXT-UD5P(F4) RAM: 2x 2GB OCZ DDR3 1600Mhz Gold 8-8-8-24
    GPU:HD5850 1GB
    PSU: Seasonic M12D 750W Case: Coolermaster HAF932(aka Dusty )

Worlds Fastest F5
    Quote Originally Posted by largon View Post
    Now drop the price to 1/10 and I'm interested.

So say we all!!!

Last edited by Biker; 05-11-2008 at 05:29 AM.
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Addict
    I'd like to know how they compare to Super Talent's new MLC SATA-II drives. Nobody has done a review on Super Talent's new drives yet but some may show up next week if we're lucky.
    http://www.supertalent.com/home/press_release.php#

I am Xtreme
    wow. mtron gets whipped
    edit: why does the memo get raped in 'XP start-up' tho??
    Last edited by tiro_uspsss; 05-11-2008 at 05:58 AM.
    DNA = Design Not Accident
    DNA = Darwin Not Accurate

heatware / ebay
    HARDWARE I only own Xeons, Extreme Editions & Lian Li's
    https://prism-break.org/

Administrator
    Do they say in there which MTRON they are testing ?

I read through that but all I see is the MTRON Flash SSD, is it the Pro or Mobi ?

MRTON's web page also states that the Memoright has better write speed than the Pro.

The Memoright's also cost half again as much as the Pro's do.

The bench's are also right on the benchmark page MTRON has and clearly shows the Memorights are faster than the MTRON PRO's.
    http://www.dvnation.com/benchmarks.html

The only real news here is showing the Adaptic 5805 raid card performance.

I would like to see a shoot out with Areca 1231ML vs Adaptic 5805
    Last edited by Buckeye; 05-11-2008 at 06:20 AM.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechromancer View Post
    I'd like to know how they compare to Super Talent's new MLC SATA-II drives. Nobody has done a review on Super Talent's new drives yet but some may show up next week if we're lucky.
    http://www.supertalent.com/home/press_release.php#
    MLC ->
    You were not supposed to see this.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Still way too unreliable. The fact that these things die (dropping out of RAID or flat-out die) often in heavy enterprise workloads and yet cost so much is disappointing. You pay for reliability or your pay for speed/access... and SSDs have a long way to go.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    Still way too unreliable. The fact that these things die (dropping out of RAID or flat-out die) often in heavy enterprise workloads and yet cost so much is disappointing. You pay for reliability or your pay for speed/access... and SSDs have a long way to go.
    Any links for that information ?

HDD also die in heavy enterprise works loads. Thats one reason why different versions of Raid's were designed, often they are desgined in case a drive fails then another can take its place until the failed drive is replaced.

I have yet to see any graph or link that shows SSD vs HDD reliability over time in Raids, or any fact that shows a SSD worn out from over use vs a HDD.

I would also like to point out that Eve-Online has been using RamSan setups for there online game servers for some time. Is that heavy use servers ?
    http://www.superssd.com/success/ccpgames.htm

Clearly these are costly and you are right in one respect, you pay for speed/access.

I will agree with you that SSD's do have a long ways to go, in price per GB. And I am willing to bet that speeds will increase also. Low power and speed for laptops is a great addition though.

So much fud is out there that relates to first gen SSD's or completly different units.

here is this
    http://www.storagesearch.com/ssdmyths-endurance.html

Configuration:- a single flash SSD. (Using more disks in an array could increase the operating life.)

Write endurance rating:- 2 million cycles. (The typical range today for flash SSDs is from 1 to 5 million. The technology trend has been for this to get better.)

Sustained write speed:- 80M bytes / sec (That's the fastest for a flash SSD available today and assumes that the data is being written in big DMA blocks.)

capacity:- 64G bytes - that's about an entry level size. (The bigger the capacity - the longer the operating life - in the write endurance context.)

Today single flash SSDs are available with 160G capacity in 2.5" form factor from Adtron and 155G in a 3.5" form factor from BiTMICRO Networks.

Looking ahead to Q108 - 2.5" SSDs will be available upto 412GB from BiTMICRO. And STEC will be shipping 512GB 3.5" SSDs.

To get that very high speed the process will have to write big blocks (which also simplifies the calculation).

We assume perfect wear levelling which means we need to fill the disk 2 million times to get to the write endurance limit.

2 million (write endurance) x 64G (capacity) divided by 80M bytes / sec gives the endurance limited life in seconds.

That's a meaningless number - which needs to be divided by seconds in an hour, hours in a day etc etc to give...

The end result is 51 years!

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Any links for that information ?

HDD also die in heavy enterprise works loads. Thats one reason why different versions of Raid's were designed, often they are desgined in case a drive fails then another can take its place until the failed drive is replaced.

I have yet to see any graph or link that shows SSD vs HDD reliability over time in Raids, or any fact that shows a SSD worn out from over use vs a HDD.

I would also like to point out that Eve-Online has been using RamSan setups for there online game servers for some time. Is that heavy use servers ?
    http://www.superssd.com/success/ccpgames.htm

DRAM based SSD's are not the same as NAND based SSD's. DRAM based SSD's are many times faster and have a proven reliability and track record in the enterprise environment.

The reports of questionable reliability are starting to come in. Remember NAND based SSD's have just been out for about a year. Have a look at the Dell forums, 100's of SSD users from notebooks are reporting problems.

I'll try to find the links for you, but Dave Graham (a member here and deals with a lot of server-business type clients) reported months ago problems with NAND based SSD's in the server environment, many dying after a few months of heavy usage.

In addition, the inferior random writes makes NAND SSD's suboptimal for enterprise level heavy database applications. For desktop scenarios, you should be OK...hopefully. I would definitely look for ones with the 5 year warranty (Look at OCZ's 1-year warranty...LOL)
    Last edited by NeedMoMegaHurtZ; 05-11-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Administrator
    What SSD's are the Dell's using ?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsama View Post
    SSDs are often touted for their reliability. Do you have links and sources to back up your claims?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    holy !

now let the prices drop!
    ASUS P8P67
    i7 2600K 3.4GHz @ 4.6GHz
    Twintech 8800 GT 512Mo Samsung (vgpu modded)
    Crucial Ballistix DDR3 C7 2 * 2Go
    2 * WD VelociRaptor 150Go RAID 0
    2 * Samsung Spinpoint F3 1To RAID 0
    Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
    Seasonic S12 600HT

WC :

1A-SL2 CPU // 1A-SL2 GPU (home made fix)
    Eheim 1048 + magicool 25
    2 * Black Ice Pro 3 serial
    Tygon 3603 + glycoshell

Xtreme Member
    @Buckeye-

I think most Dell SSD's are 1st Generation Samsung's. FYI the SATA2 version of the OCZ is a rebadged Samsung v2 (100/80 read/write), only about $500 for 32GB, but 1 year warranty...

Dell officially disclamimed the 20-30% return rate (most of these were customers disappointed with performance, not actual failures).... but it makes you wonder...

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff
    its pretty amazing how fast the SSD market is moving.
    whats good 2 months ago, is todays antique.

its pretty cut throat from what I seen over the last few months.
    prices have even begun dropping alittle a few weeks ago.
    with results like these coming so fast, it will amaze me if mechanical hard drives have much of a life ahead of them.

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Let me look in my crystal ball of hope

I'd say, Q1 09, SSDs will have completely displaced the Raptor as the go-to drive for high-end enthusiast builds.

Xtreme Addict
    The Mtron's on test are the non-Pro series. The read/write rates are 95/75 MB/s, respectively.
    Kunaak, where'd you see the price drops? I don't recall any significant drops (except EUR/USD going up and up, and thus most stuff costing much less for us in Europe ^^)
    P5E64_Evo/QX9650, 4x X25-E SSD - gimme speed..
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_SmartAss View Post
    Lately there has been a lot of BS(Dave_Graham where are you?)

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post

Today single flash SSDs are available with 160G capacity in 2.5" form factor from Adtron and 155G in a 3.5" form factor from BiTMICRO Networks.

Looking ahead to Q108 - 2.5" SSDs will be available upto 412GB from BiTMICRO. And STEC will be shipping 512GB 3.5" SSDs.
    I think up to 1.6tb is already available from bitmicro.

The thing I'm wondering is how many times can you write to these before they start to flake? Is that an old issue or are they similar to flash that has a short life span?

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BrowncoatGR View Post
    All those tests are in 4-way raid0 if got that correctly. How's that relevant to any users here?
    because it is extreme my friend
    PC Lab Qmicra V2 Case SFFi7 950 4.4GHz 200 x 22 1.36 volts
    Cooled by Swiftech GTZ - CPX-Pro - MCR420+MCR320+MCR220 | Completely Silent loads at 62c
    GTX 470 EVGA SuperClocked Plain stock
    12 Gigs OCZ Reaper DDR3 1600MHz) 8-8-8-24
    ASUS Rampage Gene II |Four OCZ Vertex 2 in RAID-0(60Gig x 4) | WD 2000Gig Storage

Theater ::: Panasonic G20 50" Plasma | Onkyo SC5508 Processor | Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2 | CSi A6 Center| 2 x Polk RTi A9 Front Towers| 2 x Klipsch RW-12d
    Lian-LI HTPC | Panasonic Blu Ray 655k| APC AV J10BLK Conditioner |

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcape View Post
    I think up to 1.6tb is already available from bitmicro.

The thing I'm wondering is how many times can you write to these before they start to flake? Is that an old issue or are they similar to flash that has a short life span?
    Please see my post above about this issue. The MTRON Pro's have a 5 year warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanometer View Post
    because it is extreme my friend
    Ha ! not extreme enough, mine has 8

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'll stick with my Raptor until I can pick up a 160GB SSD for under $200.
    Thermaltake Armor Series Black
    GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3R
    Q6600 3.6 GHZ Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme
    4 GB Corsair XMS2 w/ OCZ XTX Ram Cooler 2 x 60mm
    9800GT 512MB
    18X Pioneer DVD-RW Burner
    720 Watt Enermax Infiniti
    4x640GB RAID 10
    Windows 7

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast