Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Interview: NVidia CEO Jen-Hsun Huang

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sr7 View Post
    I don't get why everyone harps on NVIDIA for the 9-series... I don't recall them claiming a massive performance increase over 8-series.. they simply brought 8-series power to the masses by lowering costs to make it and hence lowering the retail price.

Why is that such a problem when ATI did the same thing? It seems obvious that both companies did it because their next gen was not ready yet..

Why does everyone pretend to be so concerned for Joe Schmoe all of a sudden when it comes to the 9-series? Since when was everyone on these forums a consumer advocate, standing up for all that is true and just?

"Oh noes, Joe just saved a bunch of money on his video card. He got so screwed!"
    When did ATI do the same thing? There was already the SAME CARDS in 8800-series, but they changed THOSE cards names and clockspeeds and made new SERIES out of them. So basically Nvidias next gen. is the old stuff with new name, one could think that it is COMPLETELY new which it is not. Alot of people going to lose theyr money for "nothing", I guess.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    When did ATI do the same thing? There was already the SAME CARDS in 8800-series, but they changed THOSE cards names and clockspeeds and made new SERIES out of them. So basically Nvidias next gen. is the old stuff with new name, one could think that it is COMPLETELY new which it is not. Alot of people going to lose theyr money for "nothing", I guess.
    What?? They're not the same cards. They're a different chip on a different process.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

ATI went (R600: 2-series) ---die shrink---> (RV670: 3-series)
    NVIDIA went (G80: 8-series) ---die shrink---> (G92: 9-series)

Both lowered costs for about the same graphics horsepower of their predecessor..

ATI did *exactly* the same thing.
    Last edited by Sr7; 05-11-2008 at 11:02 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    What?? They're not the same cards. They're a different chip on a different process.

Do you even know what you're talking about?

ATI went R600 --(die shrink)--> R670
    NVIDIA went G80 --(die shrink)-->G92

Both lowered costs for about the same graphics horsepower of their predecessor..
    There are G92 based cards in 8800 series aswell. Just look at 8800GT or 8800GTS 512. Basically the 9800GTX/GX2 are just overclocked 8800GTS 512's.

ATI actually did something more than just bumped the clocks and lowered the cost. The power draw went to 50% of what it used to be with R600. I'd call that a way bigger improvement than what Nvidia has done since G80 to these days.

Nvidia uses SAME cards in 8800-series and in 9800-series(sure there are G94 and G96(?) only for 9k-series), ATI uses same cards ONLY in HD3k-series.

Basically Nvidia just recycles the old chip over and over again. ATI actually does MAJOR improvements.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Calmatory View Post
    There are G92 based cards in 8800 series aswell. Just look at 8800GT or 8800GTS 512. Basically the 9800GTX/GX2 are just overclocked 8800GTS 512's.

ATI actually did something more than just bumped the clocks and lowered the cost. The power draw went to 50% of what it used to be with R600. I'd call that a way bigger improvement than what Nvidia has done since G80 to these days.

Nvidia uses SAME cards in 8800-series and in 9800-series(sure there are G94 and G96(?) only for 9k-series), ATI uses same cards ONLY in HD3k-series.

Basically Nvidia just recycles the old chip over and over again. ATI actually does MAJOR improvements.
    Are you kidding me? So you're saying if NVIDIA had just slapped the 9-series label on the 8800GT and GTS sooner than waiting for the 9800GTX/GX2 to start the 9-series, you'd be happy?

Make up your mind about what you're upset over. ATI makes major improvements? You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. RV670 underperforms R600 in some cases.

To put the icing on the cake of showing you how uninformed you are, the TDP of G92 vs. G80 dropped very significantly as well.

Everything that RV670 was to R600, G92 was to G80.. except adding support for DX10.1. Aside from that the companies did the IDENTICAL thing.

Did you seriously not know this? Do your research before you post.
    Last edited by Sr7; 05-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    This guy wants to become Intel................he is just sooooo jealous of Intels power
    lots and lots of cores and lots and lots of tuners,HTPC's boards,cases,HDD's,vga's,DDR1&2&3 etc etc all powered by Corsair PSU's

Xtreme Addict
    Can we have a vote next time? It would even be fun to throw out "fanboi" every now and then. Ugh...XS on the weekend needs to be spent deeper, heh.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Some people should relax and try to put them selves in Jen-Hsun's shoes, and be mindful of his audience. So called wall-street analysts have been predicting the death of Nvidia for over 10 years but they keep getting better and better and are now dominating their market. Now that Intel is getting in the discrete GPU business (an obvious move to kill Nvidia), the doomsayers are coming out again and Nvidia is sick and tired of being underestimated. His comments lately are directed at the financial community not us end-users. Put fanboyism aside and actually think about that he is saying, he is correct on almost every point. Nvidia has pioneered this industry and they will be damned before they let Intel take it from them, shareholders and bankers who aren't gamers need to be reminded of this and Nvidia is starting to demand the respect it thinks it deserves. As a shareholder that is precisely the conviction and strength I want to see when going up against a much bigger company with significant advantages like Intel. Would you like him to welcome them with flowers and let them take his sharholders' money? When confronted with an bigger enemy who will have no mercy, you better man up and punch him in the mouth or bend over. At least Nvidia has balls, which is more than I can say for AMD these days. Jen-Hsun has always walked the talk and I'm confident his arrogance will be backed up with superior products.
    Last edited by shiznit93; 05-12-2008 at 12:08 AM.
    Core i5 750 3.8ghz, TRUE 120 w/Panaflo M1A 7v
    ASRock P55 Deluxe
    XFX 5870
    2x2GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
    Samsung 2233RZ - Pioneer PDP-5020FD - Hyundai L90D+
    Raptor WD1500ADFD - WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    X-FI XtremeMusic w/ LN4962
    Seasonic S12-500
    Antec P182

YouTube Addict
    Valid points. This bodes well for Us
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnyGURU View Post
    Someone asked him why he didn't think an Intel integrated GPU would stand a chance against Nvidia. He didn't bother with anything technical he just said, "Say in this (right) pocket, I have something good (an Intel CPU). Now let's say in this (left) pocket, I have a bunch of crap (Intel integrated GPU solution). If I put my good stuff in my left pocket, now there's crap all over my good stuff."

I LOL'd.

I soo wish, that I was there! I would have laughed my ass off, hearing those words from Jen-Hsun Huang - LIVE!
    He has some good points though! but his comments makin' me laugh out loud! - he just whoops azz!

This guy cracks me up!
    Last edited by Vargher Warg; 05-12-2008 at 02:37 AM.
    Be Reasonable! - Demand The Impossible!

Xtreme Addict
    Are you kidding me? So you're saying if NVIDIA had just slapped the 9-series label on the 8800GT and GTS sooner than waiting for the 9800GTX/GX2 to start the 9-series, you'd be happy?

Make up your mind about what you're upset over. ATI makes major improvements? You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. RV670 underperforms R600 in some cases.

To put the icing on the cake of showing you how uninformed you are, the TDP of G92 vs. G80 dropped very significantly as well.

Everything that RV670 was to R600, G92 was to G80.. except adding support for DX10.1. Aside from that the companies did the IDENTICAL thing.

Did you seriously not know this? Do your research before you post.
    You don't call it major upgrade when the power draw is cut to 50% of what it used to be? Or that the die size went down by over 50 %, whereas Nvidia was able to cut it down by about 31 %, still remaining around 40 % bigger than what RV670 is? Architectual changes arent big indeed, nor is there any speed imprivement really.

But what you asked first, is that why people are upset about Nvidia, and my answer was that they already released the G92 core with 8800-series, and then REreleased it as a completely new series called 9000-series. Same core with different clockspeeds isn't really worth new series IMO. They could've used 8900 if they wanted, but they didn't.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Awesome Can't expect much more from a "suit", what do you guys want? A free taco and 9800GTX if the Red Sox win the World Series?
    Every year, Huang said, "we're making chips that are twice as big as the (year) before that. And every single year, we deliver an experience that is twice as good as the year before. And every single year, people say, 'It's not good enough. I want more. I want more.'"
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123