Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Intel Will Lock Overclocking on LGA1160 (Mainstream Nehalem) - Fud

Hybrid View

Xtreme Member

How Intel Will Lock Overclocking on LGA1160 (Mainstream Nehalem) - Fud

No easy work around

As we told you some time ago, Intel has put in what can only be called an overclocking lock in the upcoming LGA1160 processors which are currently going under the codenames of Lynnfield and Havendale.

Until now we didn't know how this had been implemented, but we've learned some more about it and it looks like there is no easy work around. As these processors have the memory controller and a few more bits integrated into the CPU itself, Intel suddenly has a lot more control than it has had with past designs that utilized a separate chipset which contains the memory controller.

As Intel seems to want to push the much more expensive Bloomfield platform to overclockers,
    the company implemented a lock that prevents these new processors from being overclocked by adding two PLL clock generators, one inside the CPU itself and one in the PCH.

This might not sound like it's a big problem in itself, but what Intel has done is that these two will clock generators will reference eachother and this means that just changing the bus speed won't have any effect if you're trying to overclock the CPU as it will dissregard the information from the PCH if it's not a correct value.

There might still be options for overclocking these CPU's, but our understanding is that this isn't easily done and Intel doesn't want it to be and as such Intel is unlikely to give out this information to third party motherboard manufacturers.

The sum of all this is that Intel might loose out a few enthusiast users that don't have deep enough pockets to get a Bloomfield system to AMD, which might not be a bad thing for AMD in the end.
    Source:
    http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...7255&Itemid=35

Old thread:
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=185374

Does it really makes sense? and would they seriously do that? I really hope it ain't so.
    Last edited by Face; 05-16-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: title
    Faceman

Xtreme Addict
    I really do hope this is all just a big load of BS, that or Bloomfield better be one kickass platform that OCs to hell and back.

The sum of all this is that Intel might loose out a few enthusiast users that don't have deep enough pockets to get a Bloomfield system to AMD, which might not be a bad thing for AMD in the end.
    Assuming AMD has anything worthwhile by then.
    i5-750 w/ Thermalright Ultra120X
    Coolermaster HAF-932
    MSI GD65
    2x2GB G.skill Cas7 1600MHz
    Sapphire HD6870
    Western Digital 640GB.AAKS
    2x Samsung F1 1TB
    2x Samsung SLC 64GB SSD
    Pioneer DVR-212BK
    Corsair HX620W
    Creative X-Fi Xtreme Music (dead, using onboard -.-)
    LG W2286L

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    The Old Bait & Tackle maneuver with C2D..........
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyNV View Post
    I really do hope this is all just a big load of BS, that or Bloomfield better be one kickass platform that OCs to hell and back.

Assuming AMD has anything worthwhile by then.
    Depends if oveclocked AMD is faster than the mainstream nehalem.

If AMD is slower by stock, but faster when overclocked, then I'd go with AMD anyday if the prices aren't too high.

Quote Originally Posted by gdogg View Post
    I have to call fake.
    For intel to do this, they'd loose market they weren't even trying to make buy the more expensive stuff.

Enthusiasts build pcs for non-enthusiasts, if I had to buy the extreme edition to overclock type idea, I'd be going amd all the way, every system i'd build, intel would no longer be an option.

Remember when Intel was against overclockin? What actually brought C2D to it's prime? 1: good OC capability 2: good performance over K8.

What if you couldn't OC C2D's, but could K8? C2D would fail here in XS.

Intel seems to have no threat from AMD right now, but what about if AMD becomes competitive @ same clockspeeds and AMD's clock like C2D does right now? Then Intel would want people to OC.

RIght now people just buy the cheapest parts and OC them to near the top parts. :p
    Last edited by Calmatory; 05-10-2008 at 01:36 PM.

Xtreme Mentor
    I'm calling BS because Intel isn't going to ditch the enthusiasts once they finally got their grasp with enthusiasts.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I'm calling BS because Intel isn't going to ditch the enthusiasts once they finally got their grasp with enthusiasts.
    The won't ditch you they will MILK you. IMO it makes perfect sense - what for buy overpriced Bloomfield when you can buy cheaper and yet overclockable Lynnfield ? But if they will lock overclocking you have no choice - pay us or stay with stock Mhz,till now overclocking was free but it seems Intel wants to enforce some kind of 'overclocking tax'.

If they do - I'm going AMD.

YouTube Addict
    Umm not if anyone notices this but that simply means we can't overclock via FSB... that doesn't mean we can't overclock
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

I am Xtreme
    Bloomfield is a Skulltrail replacement correct?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    But they have a different platform for enthusiasts on Nehalem, the last thing i want is for this to be true but i wouldn't be too surprised if it happened
    Quote Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
    Bloomfield is a Skulltrail replacement correct?
    It's average-Joe's version of Nehalem iirc
    Main Components
    QX9650 @ 4.5GHz | Asus Maximus Formula SE | HD3870 Crossfire | 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500
    150gb Raptor X | 2x Hitachi 500gb | 2x Seagate 500gb
    Silverstone TJ-07 | Coolermaster Real Power 1000w
    EK Supreme | EK-FC3870 CF
    Thermochill PA120.3 | Thermochill PA120.2
    Swiftech MCP655

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Bloomfield is the desktop quad for LGA1366. The LGA1160 Lynnfield and Havendale are 'average joe's Nehalem'.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Bloomfield is the desktop quad for LGA1366. The LGA1160 Lynnfield and Havendale are 'average joe's Nehalem'.
    Ahh okay easy to make mistakes with this
    Main Components
    QX9650 @ 4.5GHz | Asus Maximus Formula SE | HD3870 Crossfire | 2gb Crucial Ballistix PC2-8500
    150gb Raptor X | 2x Hitachi 500gb | 2x Seagate 500gb
    Silverstone TJ-07 | Coolermaster Real Power 1000w
    EK Supreme | EK-FC3870 CF
    Thermochill PA120.3 | Thermochill PA120.2
    Swiftech MCP655

Xtreme Legend
    looks like i'll be moving onto a new hobby

looks at golf maybe
    got a course right next door.....wonder how much a set of clubs is and can they be tweaked a little
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by dinos22 View Post
    looks like i'll be moving onto a new hobby

looks at golf maybe
    got a course right next door.....wonder how much a set of clubs is and can they be tweaked a little
    Around the price of the entry level Bloomfield cpu probably.
    Core i5 750 3.8ghz, TRUE 120 w/Panaflo M1A 7v
    ASRock P55 Deluxe
    XFX 5870
    2x2GB GSkill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
    Samsung 2233RZ - Pioneer PDP-5020FD - Hyundai L90D+
    Raptor WD1500ADFD - WD Caviar Green 1.5TB
    X-FI XtremeMusic w/ LN4962
    Seasonic S12-500
    Antec P182

Wanna look under my kilt?
    If these dont overclock, any performance gains to be had from the architecture will be neutralised by the overclocking we can do on C2D.

Heres hoping its either wrong, or poorly implemented. Why bother going to such effort to annoy 2% of the market?
    Quote Originally Posted by T_M View Post
    Not sure i totally follow anything you said, but regardless of that you helped me come up with a very good idea....
    Quote Originally Posted by soundood View Post
    you sigged that?

why?
    ______

Sometimes, it's not your time. Sometimes, you have to make it your time. Sometimes, it can ONLY be your time.

Xtreme Member
    Why would they do this? I thought the people that overclock are such a small percent of the market that it's not worth doing anything about? What's the $ motive behind this? Do they think we'll go for the more expensive models instead of overclocking the cheap ones?

Xtreme Member
    Well I don't know how's you guys. But I work as System's administrator.
    Because current Intel architecture is superior to AMD's, I've got quad core
    under my hood at home's computer.

Now because I'm the one who decide what kind of Office desktop's we're
    buying it's all Intel C2D. There's about 500 of those.

When I was on AMD side I was buying AMD's for the Company.

Now, if they will lock their CPUs, i'm back at AMD's door step.

I'm sure there is much more guys like me...

Quote Originally Posted by Xope_Poquar View Post
    Why would they do this? I thought the people that overclock are such a small percent of the market that it's not worth doing anything about? What's the $ motive behind this? Do they think we'll go for the more expensive models instead of overclocking the cheap ones?
    i3770K@ 4.4 - 1.25v - TR120 Black+ Scythe GT AP-14
    Crucial Ballistix Tracer 4x4096 DDR3 1866Mhz
    Asus P8Z77-v Deluxe
    PowerColor HD R290 moded to X
    Samsung SSD 256GB 840 Pro
    Samsung HDD 7200RPM 2TB (2x1TB) SA(N)TA
    Corsair HX 650W
    Antec P182 +3x Scythe -800-1200RPM
    Asus 27" VN279QLB
    Logitech G100S, CM Storm Quick Fire TK
    Win 8.1

Xtreme Member
    Damn Nation no donation no salvation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Hey Blauhung, is there any chance you could throw us a word on the subject? confirm? negate?

Much appreciated
    Faceman

Xtreme Member
    This news comes from Fudzilla.....nuff said
    Second, it would be a very stupid decision
    Third, pinmods ffs. There is no way they can lock that, except if ALL procs have the same FSB, which I doubt.
    PC: none at the moment
    Lappy: Dell Latitude D520
    CPU: Core Duo T2300E 1.66GHz
    RAM: 1 Gb generic
    VGA: Intel 950 gma
    HDD: 60 GB Hitachi 5400 rpm + 250 GB Phillips external
    Mouse: Razer Lachesis
    Mousepad: Razer Mantis
    Headphones: AKG K701 + LittleDot MK II + Behringer U Control UCA202
    OSes: Fedora 9 - work || XP-games (only DOTA)
    Additional cooling: seated on cigarette packs with custom made USB powered fan

Coat It with GOOOO
    First off this is not the position of the company, only my personal feelings, but....

there isn't really any bus on the Lynnfield or Havendale chipsets, only the interface to the southbridge. Everything is on the package and that is all locked to where it's set at. The reason for the in package PLL is most likely because the clock generation and splitting can now all be done on die which makes for far more control over the process and less part compatibilities to worry about. The second PLL probably just sets speeds for the SB and all the other IC's on the board that need clock generation. This is not a change that is there to lock out overclocking, that is a side effect of the new platform structure.

Second, Intel is not ditching enthusiasts, they have devoted a platform specifically for them.
    Last edited by Blauhung; 05-10-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    First off this is not the position of the company, only my personal feelings, but....

there isn't really any bus on the Lynnfield or Havendale chipsets, only the interface to the southbridge. Everything is on the package and that is all locked to where it's set at. The reason for the in package PLL is most likely because the clock generation and splitting can now all be done on die which makes for far more control over the process and less part compatibilities to worry about. The second PLL probably just sets speeds for the SB and all the other IC's on the board that need clock generation. This is not a change that is there to lock out overclocking, that is a side effect of the new platform structure.

Second, Intel is not ditching enthusiasts, they have devoted a platform specifically for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    Yup, Intel isn't ignoring us. They are devoting entirely new platforms to this comunity. Because of the requirements that this community wants, these new platforms may cost a bit more. They are ignoring the people who get the cheap chips and make them work like the better ones do. They are not locking them out to prevent you from overclocking them. They are moving everything on die to lower power requirements and cost of production of the home and business desktop/mobile platforms with the goal of greatly improving performance per watt and dollar. This has the side effect of removing the levers that this community uses to raise the clock speed.

I repeat, this is not in place to screw this community. That just happens to be a side effect of all the improvements that 98% of the users will greatly appreciate.

Just calm down.

Thanks.

So if I gather correctly, the information is "true" in the sense that OC'ing will not be possible, not because Intel is playing malicious, but as a no choice side effect of the new architecture? (But would still be impossible?). AKA clockspeed is set in stone. Or did I get it wrong?

Anyway I just hope the improvements from the new architecture will compensate for all that in any case.. Looks promising either way .
    Faceman

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Yeah right,lock OC in they're mainstream CPU's and we'll see AMD rise again
    After all why are C2D/C2Q and C2X so popular?Because of they're easy ability to achieve big clock's with simple coolers and now they do this?I don't think so,they aren't dumbas(r)ses

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DMH View Post
    Yeah right,lock OC in they're mainstream CPU's and we'll see AMD rise again
    My thinking as well, if this goes down as I (mis)understand it, as of now based upon a FUD site, and a member's information that may be very correct (I call FUD upon the first source, but not the latter).

I would welcome anything that makes AMD CPU an excellent alternative, but I still think this is too much in the dark, and those that really know what this is all about, can't say anything really significant (Blauhung is still in that catogory until I am convinced otherwise).

Too little information, or I am too dumb to understand what is given. I'll wait and see, and both will probably be correct
    Last edited by Seraphiel; 05-10-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Xtreme Addict
    they will make us all have dell motherboards :o
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

E6600- Asus striker Extreme-2 x 750gb- Igloo 5710- 8800gt- antec 850w Quatro- 4gb DDR2 800- Antec 1200- 24/7 cruncher

**Wishes for a dual- quad core cruncher **

Xtreme Guru
    Well, screw Intel if they do that. I'm so NOT buying overpriced Bloomfield NOR a Lynnfield platform that doens't overclock.
    Any takers for the $$$ that I wrote "FOR UPGRADE ONLY"?

I think I'm seeing GREEN.
    You were not supposed to see this.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast