Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our good friend David Baker...

Nothing more than your standard academic. I'm not sure if anyone has heard my views on academics here but there's many a rant on the net posted by me about how I feel about academics. By "academic" I do not mean those dedicated persons working their butts off to help people, I mean snotty, pampered, cowardly, outright Báltaí, bitseach, cac ar oineach...David Baker Téigh trasna ort féin who slander those who work under them. A lot of credit for many, many discoveries should've gone to the grad students who actually do the work, not the jerk sitting in the chair.

Xtreme Cruncher
    He even looks like a in the picture and I know nothing about him...

I am Xtreme
    Where's the movie link? Did it get deleted?

I don't know the guy but he - or at least his researchers - gave a nice mention to WCG in a paper last year

The size of the calculation is significant and is estimated at 12 million CPU hours, or 1,350 CPU years. This calculation was performed on the World Community Grid (WCG) parallel grid computing facility provided by IBM (http://wcgrid.org).
    see http://biology.plosjournals.org/perl...o.0050076&ct=1

Plus, it was another reasearcher - Bonneau - who blew the lid off of the apparent scam at grid.org. Can look for the posts from last year if anyone is interested.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post
    ? the big pic that looks like film and has a photobucket logo in the bottom right
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    ? the big pic that looks like film and has a photobucket logo in the bottom right
    Didn't load first time I looked - or second. Lot of disk activity atm, so maybe that's it.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Quote Originally Posted by 64dragon View Post
    ick he uses a mac. he's a horrible public speaker, from that video i dont perceive him as "smart" or educated. he seems like a cheap skate, he used the SETI program for rosetta, because he couldn't create his own program? and from RSmura's link in original post, he created a game so other people could do his work and find a new protien structure?

i say we stamp reject on his forehead and push him in front of a heavy moving object (bus, train...)
    Why would want to insult any self repecting heavy object by getting his crap all over it?
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    Why would want to insult any self repecting heavy object by getting his crap all over it?
    Beat him with his mac book?
    fermiNow Dave will see FERMI where ever I go
    Quote Originally Posted by jbartlett323 View Post
    So please return to the "Darkside of the Moon" and check your "Pulse" while you wait for the "Animals" that will be "Obscured By Clouds". And watch me wave as I say "Wish You Were Here" in "A Momentary Lapse of Reason"

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    nah, make him live with my ex that set me on fire....................

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

It is
    I always try to focus on the positive things, and what comes to mind, is that i kicked levi's A$$.....maybe my memory fails me...whatever....i choose to remember it that way.... (ok...i got help)

OH , and some guy leading the project, that didn't know the world is bigger than his ego.
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

Love will tear us apart
    So I guess....wait whaaaa fart plume's ex set him on fire? Was she lighting a smoke while you were letting one rip?
    Dark Star IV
    i5 3570K | Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | 8GB Samsung 30nm | GTX 670 FTW 4GB + XSPC Razer 680 | 128GB Samsung 830
    Apogee HD White | 140MM UT60/120MM UT45/120MM ST30 | XSPC D5 V2

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyVillain View Post
    So I guess....wait whaaaa fart plume's ex set him on fire? Was she lighting a smoke while you were letting one rip?
    God no, then we'd have lost the whole state!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by twilyth View Post

I don't know the guy but he - or at least his researchers - gave a nice mention to WCG in a paper last year

see http://biology.plosjournals.org/perl...o.0050076&ct=1

Plus, it was another reasearcher - Bonneau - who blew the lid off of the apparent scam at grid.org. Can look for the posts from last year if anyone is interested.
    Eh, scam? what scam?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    my bad. we can make him pull your finger...or you can pull your own finger and be facing him so he gets hit with the full force of impact
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    I wouldn't waste a perfectly good plume on that walking bag of fertilizer(no insult intended to fertilizer,lol)...................

Now Showing:

my wife's system now!

'Want a real high?

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by STEvil View Post
    Eh, scam? what scam?
    It was suspected that UD was sending out busy work towards the end. In fact I think they had actually admitted to doing this at some earlier time, but claimed that this was no longer true. However when someone asked Baker why Grid.org hadn't been mentioned in the article (the one where WCG was mentioned), Bonneau responded to say that it was because they had not done any significant work on the project and the work they did do had to be redone anyway. But it wasn't a reply on the forum, it was an email to one of the members so there was some question about whether the supposed email was genuine. A few weeks after this UD shut down their distributed computing operations.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Quote Originally Posted by WrigleyVillain View Post
    No, actually I was trying to stop her drug use and her cheating on me with her dealer. Never get between an addict and their drugs.........

Now Showing:

my wife's system now!

'Want a real high?

Xtreme Addict
    This um guy uh speaks uh like uh this wtf......
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Glow9 View Post
    This um guy uh speaks uh like uh this wtf......
    yea, the world isn't all rosy..
    Sometimes a cloud enters your life and it's your character that pulls you through.
    Night all.. Sleep calls.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    yea, the world isn't all rosy..
    Sometimes a cloud enters your life and it's your character that pulls you through.
    Night all.. Sleep calls.
    When that guys speaking in the video I cant tell if he's trying to be funny, or insulting or informative.
    i3 2100, MSI H61M-E33. 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws.
    MSI GTX 460 Twin Frozr II. 1TB Caviar Blue.
    Corsair HX 620, CM 690, Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Xtreme 3D Team Member
    from the very start of the clip he belittles SETI who gave him the software to begin with. he just doesn't appreciate anyone.
    QX 9650 5ghz with 1.55v 4.8ghz with 1.5v 24/7 in a VAPOLI V-2000B+ Single stage phase cooling.
    DFI LP LT X-38 T2R
    2X HD4850's water cooled , volt modded
    Thermaltake 1KW Psu
    4x Seagate 250GB in RAID 0
    8GB crucial ballistix ram

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    from the very start of the clip he belittles SETI who gave him the software to begin with. he just doesn't appreciate anyone.
    But that's the truth, LOL. No really, I noticed that as well. He could've been a little more thankful.
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Member
    ouch! he works at the UW. (U-Dub) we call it.
    -TJ07
    -Core i7 920
    -Rampage II Extreme
    -EVGA 8800 Ultra
    -Corsair Hx1000w
    -Corsair 6GB DDR3-1600 Dominator
    -Intel 80GB SSD gen.2
    -WD 6400AAKS Raid 0

Xtreme Legend
    David who?

DDTUNG
    XtremeSystems - we overclock and crunch you to the ground

I left the optimized files on three 3GHz P4 HTs. Ban me.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Sounds like JAIAH to me. (just another ignorant a-hole).

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by DDTUNG View Post
    David who?

DDTUNG
    Good one.. Cracked me up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast