Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Our good friend David Baker...

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Well whats to say on this? I have heard the story behind all of this and I suppose its just another instance of one mans vanity blocking the thorough Fair.
    I have found that in Lif the 2 Hardest things to do is to Achieve Balance and Harmony and also deal with Different Peoples personalities and their Vanity
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Cruncher
    Never knew there was some past history into this? Haha, based on that video, I really don't get the impression he is intelligent. As someone has pointed out earlier, his oral skills is pretty disappointing and it is made even worst when he is lecturing and/or giving a speech to an audience. Poorly articulated I would like to say. And his mentality on this whole project is totally whack, I don't think he even has the right mindset for these kind of things. It is a pity on his behalf.
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I'm slightly confused here.

Baker fires up Rosetta project a while back, most of the old timers here crunch rosetta.

Baker pisses "us" off (this is the part I'm unclear about, did he just not give proper credit, or did he accuse "us" of cheating?)

XS's rosetta members defect to WCG, where we are today.

I'm certain there is more to it than this, but this is what I managed to gather from reading through this thread.

Forgive me if I got something wrong, but I only want to know the history of the crunching team I belong to

CM Stacker 810 w/ Yate Loons | Enermax Infiniti 650W
    ASUS P5K Deluxe | Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB | ASUS Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
    Logitech G15 | Logitech G5

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yea, still a bit sketchy, would like to know what happened about this David Baker fiasco. Something about optimised WUs and how Baker was afraid of offending people when the fact that he did not act/say something offended more people instead. I only comprehend a part of the big picture.
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeFire View Post
    I'm slightly confused here.

Baker fires up Rosetta project a while back, most of the old timers here crunch rosetta.

Baker pisses "us" off (this is the part I'm unclear about, did he just not give proper credit, or did he accuse "us" of cheating?)

XS's rosetta members defect to WCG, where we are today.

I'm certain there is more to it than this, but this is what I managed to gather from reading through this thread.

Forgive me if I got something wrong, but I only want to know the history of the crunching team I belong to

While I hold David Baker in the same negative light as most others here I find it amusing that some of these people are blind bashing someone whom they know little to nothing about..granted in his case it is well deserved.

Basically back in the day, we dominated R@H, led by one Mr Baker, someone from SETI@Home had made optimized files which increased the benchmarks of BOINC... we all used them and coupled with the substantial overclocks and dedication of the team, we stomped a mudhole in every one else.. similar to what you folks are doing here in WCG.... however some people got their panties in a bunch and called us cheaters, there was a lot of hostility between several forums/teams/chats and Ultimately we the folks who were giving David Baker the majority of his support were "betrayed" by him.. he refused to support us at all in... basically batting the blind eye... this is after some of the more esteemed members of our team contacted him directly.

You'll notice or have noticed that DDTUNG's signature used to have a line to the effect of " I left the optimized files on 3 P4's sue me" ... this is about R@H and what happened there.

Bullet. his sig still has it there. And also You were reading my mind. i was gong to repl;y to this thread by saying "Check out DDT's sig LOL"

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    You know how hindsight is 20-20?
    The deal is that we here at Xs lived in a small part of the Dc world.
    Our competition had always been "local"..IE: Free-Dc and the Dutch Power Cows.
    Since both those teams used the Crunch3r BOINC files we did also.
    In our 'little world" all was well and fair.
    We didn't compete with any of those other teams and quite frankly didn't care about them or pay attention to them.
    Then along comes a few people from other teams with the "cheating" comments. Most of the ones doing the name calling didn't do in a year what the average guy at Xs did in a day.
    I kid you not on this. I remember researching what this one guy with a big mouth doing the name calling was actually contributing to Rosetta and what he did in 6 months I did in a day and this is pre clovertowns at my house.
    Just 2 DX systems at the time so it's not like I had any sort of big farm.
    He actually was running app 20 Boinc projects and was scheduling each to have app an hour a day on what would best be called crap machinery that you or I would use for a doorstop.
    As the cries from these people increased I emailed Dr. Baker with a polite request that he come to his own forum and make a statement on this one way or the other. Had he said that the Crunch3r files were cheating we'd have pulled them as I assure you, to win by cheating means nothing.
    It has no value at all and I have never understood those who do cheat in any of lifes endeavors.
    Dr. Baker didn't respond to my email and I questioned myself as to whether I'd said it clear enough so after 2 weeks I emailed him again and I said it very clear but still politely.
    Still nothing from him so I said it in his forum but still he wouldn't respond.
    The last week we were on Rosetta I spent 4 days in a row close to 20 hours each day trying to resolve this mess as I did beleive in the program and thought it was some error on my part communicating that was causing the problem. By the end of the week I was fried emotionally and physically.
    Just too much stress and too many hours.
    It was at that point I figured I'd done all I could and saw his inaction as lack of character.
    That is what caused us to leave Rosetta.
    Plain and simple..Lack of leadership at the projects end.
    There were some things that happenned after we left.
    Dr. Baker didn't want to talk to me as I beleive he saw me as a hard liner who wouldn't back off so he contacted DDTUNG as a "end around" play to avoid me but found in Victor someone who wasn't going to play that game.
    Then he went to Fugger but Charles stood up for us as he beleived in what we were doing.
    Last Dr, Baker posted here in the Rosetta section and that thread got very nasty and very fast.
    The frustration of 2 months of being called cheats all came out at him from myself and others. Not a good night and my temper did show.
    I told him plainly that " Your project is worthwhile but you are not"
    That is the true story of what went on and why we went to WCG.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

^^^ Thats not far off the mark actually. Myself and Haltech had a right old time on the project forums unfortunately. LOL

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    ^^^ Thats not far off the mark actually. Myself and Haltech had a right old time on the project forums unfortunately. LOL
    It was not a fun two months and the last week was a nightmare.
    That German kid I would have strangled had I been able to get my hands on him..
    (Disclaimer: Just figuratively speaking)
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

version 2.0
    It was not an orchestrated move to WCG . Noone was ever told to stop doing R@H.
    But a lot of us joined WCG (around august 2006) and that was the beginning of our little team.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    It was not an orchestrated move to WCG . Noone was ever told to stop doing R@H.
    But a lot of us joined WCG (around august 2006) and that was the beginning of our little team.
    Actually we did take a vote at the time amongst the top 50 people on the team but yes, no one was forced to leave Rosetta.
    As always, freedom of choice is the key.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Actually we did take a vote at the time amongst the top 50 people on the team but yes, no one was forced to leave Rosetta.
    As always, freedom of choice is the key.
    That is correct there was a vote and Yup freedom of choice is free, hence why i'm free to choose to post here whenever i want

You guys here in the WCG section have matured quite a bit over the year or so, I remember when I would post here and everyone would get all uppity about something i said...

Good work

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by bullet2urbrain View Post
    That is correct there was a vote and Yup freedom of choice is free, hence why i'm free to choose to post here whenever i want

You guys here in the WCG section have matured quite a bit over the year or so, I remember when I would post here and everyone would get all uppity about something i said...

Good work
    That's because you said something uppity!
    LMAOFOTF!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Moving this thread to the Rosetta section where it belongs..

Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    It was not a fun two months and the last week was a nightmare.
    That German kid I would have strangled had I been able to get my hands on him..
    (Disclaimer: Just figuratively speaking)
    Lol. Ya I was been sarcastic.

And there was also that older yanks dude too. I remember the avatars. The stupid avatars.

Xtreme Cruncher
    @Bullet & Movieman: Ah, that was the missing link. Thanks for the explanations

It is weird to know that a cause as simple as lending a hand to the search for a cure can turn into a full scale conflict.
    I'm glad to know the history of my crunching team, what happened here and there. Yet, when I joined up, I did so because I wished to help people, heh, so much more to it than that.
    Perhaps in time, I'll find my own place amongst the ranks in the WCG team, but for now, I'll focus on crunching
    Speaking of which, I've got a ps3 coming in in a few weeks time, which will surely do it's job.

CM Stacker 810 w/ Yate Loons | Enermax Infiniti 650W
    ASUS P5K Deluxe | Corsair XMS2 PC2-6400 2x2GB
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 | Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
    BFG Geforce 8800GTS 640MB | ASUS Ageia PhysX P1 128MB
    Logitech G15 | Logitech G5

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeFire View Post
    @Bullet & Movieman: Ah, that was the missing link. Thanks for the explanations

It is weird to know that a cause as simple as lending a hand to the search for a cure can turn into a full scale conflict.
    I'm glad to know the history of my crunching team, what happened here and there. Yet, when I joined up, I did so because I wished to help people, heh, so much more to it than that.
    Perhaps in time, I'll find my own place amongst the ranks in the WCG team, but for now, I'll focus on crunching
    Speaking of which, I've got a ps3 coming in in a few weeks time, which will surely do it's job.
    That PS3 would be for f@h I suppose

Was nice reading this thread, I knew what happend I was around already just not active and I didn't remember everything.

I'll keep doing f@h though

No Too Xtreme
    rotflmbo! 64dragon, I almost spit dew all over my monitor...
    Hey, You! Know anyone that died of Cancer or Aids? Do something about it. Crunch for World Community Grid. Join Xtreme Systems in helping fight the most important war in human history. The war on disease. WCG needs YOU!

World Community Grid Registration

Xtreme Cruncher
    I always try to focus on the positive things, and what comes to mind, is that i kicked levi's A$$.....maybe my memory fails me...whatever....i choose to remember it that way.... (ok...i got help)

OH , and some guy leading the project, that didn't know the world is bigger than his ego.
    im waiting for you int he wcg team to beat you again with or without help

because i love turtle pie
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post

Wasn't that turtle soup?
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

It is
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] leviathan18 View Post

Turtles joining WCG, would be like serving food for free.......

Quote Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
    Wasn't that turtle soup?
    They stopped serving us as soup, after several complains about shells appearing in the soup.

God, that was hurtful to type....

Last edited by Frisch; 05-15-2008 at 06:26 PM.
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

XS_THE_MACHINE
    Turtle pie.. lol

Xtreme Cruncher
    well the turtle pie and soup are excellent for real, in fact you eat the soup in the shell
    Incoming new computer after 5 long years

YOU want to FIGHT CANCER OR AIDS join us at WCG and help to have a better FUTURE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123