Thread: NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller

NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller

NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller

Modern gaming machines have come a long way since the first computer that I built. My first system build was a Pentium 166 MHz with MMX Technology, 32mb of RAM, and a S3 video card. 3d graphics cards were for the most part, non-existent. Thermal issues did not exist, at least not for the interior of a mini AT case. My latest system is a far cry from that old machine that if it was still operational, would be older than most people who I game with on Call Of Duty 4. Today we are adding some needed control options to my CoolerMaster HAF Quad Core system. Today we are reviewing the NZXT Sentry LX Dual Bay Fan Controller.

“NZXT is a company that was built upon gamer’s dreams and hopes to create products that put consumers first”. A California based company; they were founded in 2004, and have several gamer hungry products that appeal to ones sense of customization and uniqueness. Their products stand apart from your big-chain hardware selections and accessories (you know who they are). They say “look at my system and drool”.

Packaging

This item came securely packaged in foam peanuts and had plenty of room on the inside to provide ample space between the product box and the shipping box. Damage should be impossible unless the box gets run over by the delivery truck. Opening the item package revealed a secure 2 piece molded foam enclosure on both ends. Very secure.

Contents:
    The Contents were as follows: 2 bay aluminum control panel, mounting screws, temperature probe placement tape, extra temperature probe, molex to 3 pin fan adapter (actually it is only 2 leads since most molex based fans do not have the third lead used for transmitting the actual fan speed), product manual.

Features and Construction

This unit has 5 separate temperature probes to control 5 fans and keep the different areas inside your case as cool as possible. You can switch between auto and manual modes for fan control. Auto mode will adjust the fan’s RPM’s to keep temps down. Switch to manual mode to turn the fans down, or even off if you are doing anything that requires reduced ambient noise, such as vocal recording, or podcasting. The temperature alarm feature lets you know when things are heating up. The LCD display has crystal clear real-time information for each fan, along with a date and time display, that makes this unit a welcome addition to any PC. It also looks great too. Temperature display can also be switched from Fahrenheight to Celsius for those of us who refused to go with the rest of the world and the metric system. This unit is well made from aircraft aluminum and should last for a long time. It is built to take some repeat installs when you upgrade to a different case or new computer.

Installation

Installation was practically event-free. I had anticipated needing extension cables to reach some of the rear-mounted fans, but this was not necessary since NZXT provided plenty of length to reach those fans that had concerned me. Nice job guys! Connecting the fans was as simple as it sounds. Each lead is numbered and each thermal probe is numbered to correspond to those fans. Plug them in and that’s about it. The thermal sensors were placed in the areas in direct proximity to the corresponding fans. I powered up the system and reset the controller as instructed from the manual. Set the time and date and that's it! (I also realized while posting this review that the date was set wrong! Sorry).

This is my HAF Q6600 system that will be receiving this piece of hardware.

Disconnecting the fans from the motherboard.

Making room in the drive bays.

One of the thermal sensors installed.

The wires for the fans are on the motherboard side which makes it perfect for routing behind and out of site thanks to the HAF's pleated side panel.

Installed and looking good!

Performance

This unit performed very well. I used a GE digital thermometer with a corded sensor to compare the temperature zones with the case closed and the sensors were right on. I also tested the sensors in areas that were cooler than others and heated them up with a 1200 watt heat gun. The fans responded quickly with an RPM increase along with the system alarm as well. The only problem I had after the installation was complete with my system back together and on my desk, was being able to read the display. From my desk chair, I have about a 20 degree angle to look up at the display where I installed it in the uppermost bays on the tower. The LCD was difficult to read from just 2 feet away, and at that angle it appeared that all of the individual LCD characters were lit. (See photo below) I did decide at the end to move the unit to the lowest position on my tower and visibility was then perfect. It sits at about 15 degrees below eye level. If you have your case on your floor you will definitely have trouble reading the display from your chair, since the display appears the same from above or below at greater angles. A possible fix for this problem would be to make the display adjustable for maximum resolution.

Final Thoughts

This is the first fan controller that I have owned. After using this unit for 2 weeks, I can say that I need not look elsewhere for another brand if needed. This product has performed very well, and although I found a workaround for the display issue, others may not have the same results. A redesign of the display with perhaps a different type of LCD configuration or making the display panel adjustable for an optimal viewing angle would easily make this problem disappear.

Overview

Performance: 9/10 Frags- This was so easy to set up and use.

Packaging: 9/10 Frags- The package lists all features and pics in full color.

Features: 9/10 Frags- Cool lights and colors!

Construction: 6/10 Frags- The display issue must be fixed!

Price: 9/10 Frags- This unit retails at NewEgg.com for$69.99. Very afordable.

The NZXT Sentry LX Fan Controller earns a 8.4/10, which makes it Clan Team Xtreme Approved!

Last edited by Duke-Nukem; 03-09-2009 at 07:03 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Nice review, I have the same controller, but mine randomly cycles all the fans to max speed and then brings them back down to my set speeds again its really weird. Let me know if that happens to you too, my is set in manual mode.
    i7 940/Rampage 2 Extreme/Corsair 6g Dominator/Corsair HX100W/GTX 580/SSD

I love mine to death. Easy install and it looks good.

Sticky, I run mine in auto unless im doing heavy loads but when i do run it in manual ive never had that issue. Maybe a defect?

Xtreme Addict
    totally recommend this fan controller.

been using it and its pretty good.

only con for me..
    the reset button shouldnt be near to the fan select
    it should have been inside or hidden etc.. cause any itchy fingers want to test the controller might accidentally press it and result all my fan settings become auto and date/time have to be set again.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burthouse View Post
    I love mine to death. Easy install and it looks good.

Sticky, I run mine in auto unless im doing heavy loads but when i do run it in manual ive never had that issue. Maybe a defect?
    I don't think its a defect, it hasn't done it lately at all, seems like the sweet spot is around 1600 rpms. I think it might have to do with the jumpers the thermaltake fans has, it is set on auto speeds or what ever and might cause it. I agree with cstkl though that reset button could be somewhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by cstkl1 View Post
    totally recommend this fan controller.

been using it and its pretty good.

only con for me..
    the reset button shouldnt be near to the fan select
    it should have been inside or hidden etc.. cause any itchy fingers want to test the controller might accidentally press it and result all my fan settings become auto and date/time have to be set again.
    I totally forgot about that, I've hit the reset button a few times, but i try to be careful about it.

Xtreme Member
    New update, I swiched all my 120mm fans to 140mm koolance blue led fans and it hasn't done that random spin up thing at all anymore.

Xtreme Member
    I had one and sold it I didnt like that the leds were so dim at a specific angle like the old 80s style lights you could see it head on, but not at an angle.

Xtreme Member
    wow.. nice review.. i love the fan cooler..