Thread: Anyone know how to turn my VOB files into high quality AVI files?

I am Xtreme

Anyone know how to turn my VOB files into high quality AVI files?

I've been using virtual dub MPEG2 with divx but even at 1000mbps the quality is absolutely crap. The audio sounds great but the picture is extremely compressed.

Someone recommended me TMPGenc but i tried it and it doesnt support VOB files. I have tried a few other apps with no luck.

I'm surprised there isn't an easier way to do this as I figured alot of people would be interested in storing thier DVD collection on thier PC for backup in a compressed format.

Edit - something may be wrog with virtual dub here.... i have it set to 1000 mbps insane quality with Divx and still the output video file is under 500mbps... maybe its not using my selected codec? but i cant seem to find any way to specify hmmm...
    Last edited by Revv23; 05-08-2008 at 08:13 AM.

Xtreme Member
    have a look at the Gordian Knot package that reads the vob files direct.
    Asus P6T Dlx Palm , Core i7 920 , 3gb OCZ DDR3 1600 , 9600gt , cosmos 1000.

I am Xtreme
    Hello leejsmith,

I tried gordian knot, and it was very slow going and user intensive, good, but not quite perfect. I then found autoGordianKnot and it looks like i hit a home run, select input file, select output file, select audio stream, codec, and desired output file size, repeat for as many movies as you have. Hit start, and off we go. I have six movies lined up to be automatically changed to Divx.

I previewed and quality using xvid set for 1000mb output file size is just like DVD, at least to my eyes, for audio i chose 256VBR MP3. I am very excited to have my movie collection on my HDD.

Thanks for you help buddy!

You may want to give MediaCoder a try ...

http://www.mediacoderhq.com/index.htm

Don't know if it will be a great deal faster but it can output more than a dozen video formats (not sure if it will do DivX) and output 5.1 sound under a bunch of different codecs.

Xtreme Addict
    download the x264 codec and encode it using that, you should also try to keep the original audio source aswell so that you can get the true 5.1 surround sound. Converting it down to Mp3 means you'll only get the two channels which really spoils the film.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    Hello leejsmith,

I tried gordian knot, and it was very slow going and user intensive, good, but not quite perfect. I then found autoGordianKnot and it looks like i hit a home run, select input file, select output file, select audio stream, codec, and desired output file size, repeat for as many movies as you have. Hit start, and off we go. I have six movies lined up to be automatically changed to Divx.

I previewed and quality using xvid set for 1000mb output file size is just like DVD, at least to my eyes, for audio i chose 256VBR MP3. I am very excited to have my movie collection on my HDD.

Thanks for you help buddy!
    thats actually what i ment to say but forgot about the auto bit so glad you found it and yes it's easy to use and building up a que of jobs saves so much time.
    Asus P6T Dlx Palm , Core i7 920 , 3gb OCZ DDR3 1600 , 9600gt , cosmos 1000.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    download the x264 codec and encode it using that, you should also try to keep the original audio source aswell so that you can get the true 5.1 surround sound. Converting it down to Mp3 means you'll only get the two channels which really spoils the film.
    Hey Scubar, what program would you recommend for doing that? Gordian knot only supports xvid and divx.

I am Xtreme
    Update: found an App called autoMKV. Much better then autoGK. About the same only it doesn't support divx, but it does let you control almost every quality setting imagineable rather then autoGK that just let you choose a target filesize. Oh, and it supports x264.

So I couldn't find any conclusive evidence of whether xvid or x264 were better so im batch encoding the same movie in both formats, we will se how it works out.

Xtreme Addict
    Yea AutoMKV is a truly excellent program. You can also use VirtualDubMod with x264.