Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto 4 sales tops Hollywood movies

Xtreme Member

Grand Theft Auto 4 sales tops Hollywood movies

http://uk.reuters.com/article/techno...kmorningdigest

Criminal action game "Grand Theft Auto 4" scored over $500 million in global receipts its first week in release, selling over 6 million units to become one of the most lucrative entertainment launches in history.

Initial sales of the highly anticipated Take-Two Interactive Software Inc game topped the $300 million for last year's "Halo 3" video game from Microsoft Corp.

Sales exceeded Hollywood's biggest blockbuster film debut, "Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End," which raked in $406 million globally in its first six days.

"Grand Theft Auto IV's first-week performance represents the largest launch in the history of interactive entertainment, and we believe these retail sales levels surpass any movie or music launch to date," Strauss Zelnick, chairman of Take-Two, said in a statement.

Read page 2 of the article too. It says about the impact of this on the takeover bid from EA. Having a game that is constantly the best selling and now topped the biggest box office at Hollywood... I think that says something about the value of the company. The 2 billion $ bid was a joke considering they've made 25% of that in a week with just one game. Estimates show sales to be over double that within the year and they still haven't released it on the PC.

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Xtreme Addict
    As I have stated so many times: good games sell well.

Xtreme Addict
    No surprise really, nearly every review site have given GTA IV 10/10 or 99% as a rating and i can certainly see why, I absolutely love the game, Once you get used to the initial handling of the cars they become pretty good fun to drive. The being drunk thing is really a clever touch and even makes me feel slighly sick when im playing.

Xtreme Member
    hope they release it soon on the pc

Xtreme Enthusiast
    yes pc with better graphics.
    CPU: INTEL Q9550 E0 @ 3600 1.28V + CORSAIR H50
    GPU: EVGA GTX 480 @ 725/1450/3800
    PPU: EVGA 9800GTX @ 738/1836/2250
    MB: ASUS P5E X38
    RAM: MUSHKIN 2X2GB
    SOUND: X-FI TITANIUM FATAL1TY | LOGITECH Z-5500 | LOGITECH G35
    HDD: WD 76GB X 2 RAPTORS RAID 0 10KRPM | WD 1TB CAVIAR BLACK 32MB STORAGE
    PSU: CORSAIR HX1000W PSU
    MON: HANNSPREE 28" 1920X1200 RESOLUTION

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Envydia007 View Post
    yes pc with better graphics.
    NO! PROPER PC port please! If they just make it run on a PC with the limitations of consoles(Though I doubt that there are any, yet. ), then I can say already that they are going to whine about piracy. IF they got spare time then they can concentrate on graphics, but IMO gameplay and bugs are the first priority, if they are going to port it.

Xtreme Member
    GTA never interested me I can see why its so popular I just found it to unfocused. To each its own I guess. I am geting older and games no longer really apeal to me that much.

Xtreme Addict
    Rockstar havent even said if they will release it on pc yet anyway, it may never happen. I actually think GTA IV will be better on console too. Having played VC and SA on PC i can say that the controls and gameplay movement is better on the xbox360.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubar View Post
    Rockstar havent even said if they will release it on pc yet anyway, it may never happen. I actually think GTA IV will be better on console too. Having played VC and SA on PC i can say that the controls and gameplay movement is better on the xbox360.
    I've got GTA4 on the X360 and I agree that it's really fun once you get a hang of the controls, but i still think a PC version would be much better. One of my biggest gripes is the low FPS, it seems like it's constantly running at <30FPS to me, especially if you compare it to a PC game. Plus I really like keyboard and mouse for shooting, using the joysticks on the 360 is difficult and i don't like the auto aim. Also, shooting while trying to drive a car would be easier on PC I think.
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ @ 3.0GHz||Biostar TF560 A2+||4x1GB Team Xtreem D9s||Visiontek HD3870||WD 250GB||Seasonic SS-600HT
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.6GHz||DFI NF4 Ultra-D||OCZ VX 4000 2-2-2-5||ATI X1900XT||Seagate 320GB||Seasonic S12 600

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo View Post
    http://uk.reuters.com/article/techno...kmorningdigest

Read page 2 of the article too. It says about the impact of this on the takeover bid from EA. Having a game that is constantly the best selling and now topped the biggest box office at Hollywood... I think that says something about the value of the company. The 2 billion $ bid was a joke considering they've made 25% of that in a week with just one game. Estimates show sales to be over double that within the year and they still haven't released it on the PC.
    I'm happy to see it do so well even after the early piracy leak

Xtreme Addict
    uwe bolls next movie

Xtreme Member
    ^^ might gross -$5mil its first week from customer dissatisfaction refunds

On a more serious note though, i'm losing respect for a lot of companies for jumping ship PC wise. Release a good game on the pc and for once i'll buy it.

GTA4+SA were jokes on the pc; GTA3 however is still an ultra 1337 game (pcwise) to this day. Everyone's gotta agree its easier to aim then on the ps2 "joy"stick.

Cheers.
    I used to be a schizophrenic; but we're okay now.

Xtreme Member
    Not suprising but you must also consider that games are MUCH more expensive that movies/song albums so the 500 million is "only" 10 million sales where as pirates 400 million was about 40 million sales, Still good numbers ^_^.

Ive played the x360 version and can say with confidence that a PC version would be much better for the email, its a pain moving the analog sticks back and forth to delete messages. As always the mouse is the vastly superior method for aiming.

Once it again it goes to show that the only companies really worried about piracy is those who make crap games. I have downloaded this and burnt it for myself and three friends. Every one of us has also bought a legit copy.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Although not THAT much has been changed from other GTA games, it's still a good game, well developed as some of the in-game features are really detailed. (All the mini-games, websites, etc etc)

I wish it would come out on PC earlier, I'm hating to shoot people with my PS3 controller, and it doesn't really help when the game looks like it's running at 25fps all the time. Not only that, with a PC version, I can enable proper AA and AF to really bring out the cool graphics.
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    the controls dont overshadow the horrible framerate and downright useless 2xaa.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    case:Antec 1200
    MB: XFX Nforce 750I SLI 72D9
    CPU:E8400 (1651/4x9) 3712.48
    MEM:4gb Gskill DDR21000 (5-5-5-15)
    GPU: NVIDIA GTX260 EVGA SSC (X2 in SLI) both 652/1403
    PS:Corsair 650TX
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED
    Displays: Samsung LN32B650/Samsung 2243BWX/samsung P2350

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by CandymanCan View Post
    surpises me the game sucks, i never liked them for some reason
    I will tell you what i tell every other person judging this one based on its past, its a little different than earlier games and is alot more intuitive.
    This post above was delayed 90 times by Nvidia. Cause that's their thing, thats what they do.
    This Announcement of the delayed post above has been brought to you by Nvidia Inc.

RIGGY
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Decami View Post
    the controls dont overshadow the horrible framerate and downright useless 2xaa.
    I agree about the 2xAA, its totally pointless. The framerates havent been too bad but they could be abit smoother. The controls for shooting out of vehicles could be improved as its very difficult to aim and drive at the same time.

Xtreme Member
    The controls for shooting out of vehicles could be improved as its very difficult to aim and drive at the same time.
    And isn't driving and shooting difficult in real life too?

Seriously.... can't wait for the PC version to come out. I really don't want to buy an xbox or ps3 just to play this game, but if there's no other alternative.... I just might.

Generalizations are, in general, wrong.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I agree about the 2xAA, its totally pointless. The framerates havent been too bad but they could be abit smoother. The controls for shooting out of vehicles could be improved as its very difficult to aim and drive at the same time.
    the reason why i would think it would actually be better on the pc than console, like GTA 3 was.

Quote Originally Posted by gallardo View Post
    And isn't driving and shooting difficult in real life too?

Seriously.... can't wait for the PC version to come out. I really don't want to buy an xbox or ps3 just to play this game, but if there's no other alternative.... I just might.
    ....not has hard as you would think...not explaining why i know that.

RIGGY
    --Cooling--
    5x120mm 1x200mm
    Zalman 9700LED

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I don't really play games anymore...I'm too busy but I will makwe time to play this one it totally looks great. I have owned them all and am ready to own the latest installment to the series.

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

You would be a retard not to buy this game for PC...The multiplayer component is to sweet to resist...[INSERT_EVIL_GRIN]

Xtreme Member
    this is one that is worth the money for sure, i will buy it for ps3, this game has all to be the most rentable game in history
    Core2 extreme QX9650 on Mach II GT
    Evga nforce 780i
    4GB Cellshock Micron D9
    BFG 9800Gx2
    Creative X-Fi elite pro whit Logitech Z5500