Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TorrentSpy Slapped with $110 Million Judgement

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The big problem with this that no one has mentioned is that it can be interpeted as case law. Even if the RIAA gets no money out of this particular suit, it is big ammo for further lawsuits. They can claim that since 1 court filed in their favor, other courts are obligated to do the same.
    i7-2600K @ 4806Mhz 102.3x47 1.368v LinX stable
    MSI P67 GD-80
    16Gb Corsair 8-8-8-24 1T 818.2Mhz
    MSI GTX560Ti 1005/2250 1.062v
    Crucial m4 256Gb SSD
    Corsair TX850 | 64bit WIN7 Pro
    Custom watercooling
    47" 1080p LCD | Onkyo 876/ Polk 5.1 surround

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    The big problem with this that no one has mentioned is that it can be interpeted as case law. Even if the RIAA gets no money out of this particular suit, it is big ammo for further lawsuits. They can claim that since 1 court filed in their favor, other courts are obligated to do the same.
    Well thats true, but the fact will remain that they won't ever see these settlement fees unless they go after some really big fish. I mean, these are already scandalous organizations filled with criminals that have no regard for the law... otherwise they wouldnt be facilitating the distribution of copyrighted material. Now, for people like this not paying isnt a big issue as they can just dissapear or claim bankruptcy. I mean, who cares, shut the site down, open another one iwth different name we are back in business.

Now for them to win a case actually worth winning, they would have to go after some legitimate organizations, say google. Google couldnt simply skip on it's payment. However, google would have the funding to appeal a ruling like this all the way up to the supreme court, and since google walks on water in the eyes of the public, It would also reate tons of negative publicity for anyone trying to take them down...

my 2c.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    Well thats true, but the fact will remain that they won't ever see these settlement fees unless they go after some really big fish. I mean, these are already scandalous organizations filled with criminals that have no regard for the law... otherwise they wouldnt be facilitating the distribution of copyrighted material. Now, for people like this not paying isnt a big issue as they can just dissapear or claim bankruptcy. I mean, who cares, shut the site down, open another one iwth different name we are back in business.

Now for them to win a case actually worth winning, they would have to go after some legitimate organizations, say google. Google couldnt simply skip on it's payment. However, google would have the funding to appeal a ruling like this all the way up to the supreme court, and since google walks on water in the eyes of the public, It would also reate tons of negative publicity for anyone trying to take them down...

my 2c.
    so google buying all torrent sites/engines/programs/trackers would be a very nice and comfortable solution for us all.
    Are we there yet?

Worlds Fastest F5
    Quote Originally Posted by LexDiamonds View Post
    Oh !

The legal precedent
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
    They can just declare bankruptcy, the judgement is against the company, so the worst they could do is liquidate a few servers.
    Thats just what i was thinking, There is no way in hell they could ever pay it so the only option they have is to liquidate the company and declare bancrupcy. Not so bad really.

Worlds Fastest F5
    Quote Originally Posted by Luka_Aveiro View Post
    so google buying all torrent sites/engines/programs/trackers would be a very nice and comfortable solution for us all.

LOL
    X5670 B1 @175x24=4.2GHz @1.24v LLC on
    Rampage III Extreme Bios 0003
    G.skill Eco @1600 (7-7-7-20 1T) @1.4v
    EVGA GTX 580 1.5GB
    Auzen X-FI Prelude
    Seasonic X-650 PSU
    Intel X25-E SLC RAID 0
    Samsung F3 1TB
    Corsair H70 with dual 1600 rpm fan
    Corsair 800D
    3008WFP A00

Xtreme Member
    Even if they never see the money the MPAA still benefits from this by writing it off as a loss AFAIK. The judgment money from a case like this is taxable, so if you never receive it you can write it off I assume.
    That will benefit the MPAA since they really dont do much except sit on their a$$es and collect money.

It's not like Hollywood has put out a great film in awhile anyway. No wonder video games outsell them and no one wants to pay.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] riptide View Post
    This is a big hit for torrent companies. Could be the end of torrents as we know it? Or the beginning of it?
    What torrent companies?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Revv23 View Post
    I mean, these are already scandalous organizations filled with criminals that have no regard for the law... otherwise they wouldnt be facilitating the distribution of copyrighted material.
    funny that its hard to tell if this is the mpaa or torrentspy when you take it out of context :P
    " Business is Binary, your either a 1 or a 0, alive or dead." - Gary Winston ^^

Asus rampage III formula,i7 980xm, H70, Silverstone Ft02, Gigabyte Windforce 580 GTX SLI, Corsair AX1200, intel x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb, hp zr30w, 12gb corsair vengeance

Rig 2
    i7 980x ,h70, Antec Lanboy Air, Samsung md230x3 ,Saphhire 6970 Xfired, Antec ax1200w, x-25m 160gb, 2 x OCZ vertex 2 180gb,12gb Corsair Vengence MSI Big Bang Xpower

Quote Originally Posted by stocius View Post
    It's not like Hollywood has put out a great film in awhile anyway. No wonder video games outsell them and no one wants to pay.
    didnt gta4 just bring in more in its opening week than the entire movie industry last year in the box office
    Last edited by zanzabar; 05-09-2008 at 01:13 AM.
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Tancoll View Post
    So typical USA. Does someone disagree?
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by gallardo View Post
    And this, my friends, is the difference between fairytales and reality.
    In fairytales Robin Hood helps the common man, has the laugh, overthrows the evil rich dudes and in the end gets the girl and the love and the respect of the people he helped.
    In reality, TorrentSpy tries to help the common man, gets sued for $110M and dies lonely without the support of any of the pirates that used their site.
    LOL QFT
    i3-8100 | GTX 970
    Ryzen 5 1600 | RX 580
    Assume nothing; Question everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12