Thread: Creative refunding Alchemy buyers?

Xtreme Member

Creative refunding Alchemy buyers?

Just got an email from creative stating that they will offer a free Alchemy for Audigy/XFI users and are refunding everyone that has bought it^^

Nice move.
    P8Z68 Pro
    2600k@4.5 NH-14
    8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600
    GTX 570 SLI
    Windows 7 x64
    1x Corsair F115 SSD
    WD Black 2T Raid 0
    Xfi Titanium PciX

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ouch, Creative's reaction to the publicity backlash may actually turn them into a worthwhile company.

Xtreme Mentor
    Whats an Alchemy?

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavv View Post
    Whats an Alchemy?
    software soy ou can make use of EAX effects under openal, basically a patch you have to pay for
    Core i7 2600k|HD 6950|8GB RipJawsX|2x 128gb Samsung SSD 830 Raid0|Asus Sabertooth P67
    Seasonic X-560|Corsair 650D|2x WD Red 3TB Raid1|WD Green 3TB|Asus Xonar Essence STX

Core i3 2100|HD 7770|8GB RipJawsX|128gb Samsung SSD 830|Asrock Z77 Pro4-M
    Bequiet! E9 400W|Fractal Design Arc Mini|3x Hitachi 7k1000.C|Asus Xonar DX

Dell Latitude E6410|Core i7 620m|8gb DDR3|WXGA+ Screen|Nvidia Quadro NVS3100
    256gb Samsung PB22-J|Intel Wireless 6300|Sierra Aircard MC8781|WD Scorpio Blue 1TB

Harman Kardon HK1200|Vienna Acoustics Brandnew|AKG K240 Monitor 600ohm|Sony CDP 228ESD

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well this is good to hear. Totally stupid to pay for something which is essentially a patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

Xtreme Member
    this action does not prove that they will make better cards/drivers in the future

XS_THE_MACHINE
    I've been using it for a couple years and it was free for me? Had no idea there even was a paid version.

naked X2 3800+ Toledo LCBIE 0618EPMW ]3020mhz@1.554v]
    TT BigTyphoon
    DFI LP UT NF4 Sli-D - 4/06 BT mod
    PCP&C Silencer 750w

2x1GB Mushkin XP4000 Samsung C-UCCC @253mhz 3,4,3,8 1T @ 2.65v
    eVGA 8800GT 512MB@ 787/1944/2244

Xtreme Member
    When did Alchemy ever cost anything?

I am Xtreme
    Although I am taking a guess it sounds to me they are ready to release a new series of sound cards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    Although I am taking a guess it sounds to me they are ready to release a new series of sound cards.

But that was pretty much obvious since the last 2 months. Didn't Creative even state this?

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Seraphiel View Post
    When did Alchemy ever cost anything?
    I remember a while back it was around $15 or something, I don't remember too well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmyz View Post
    A DFI board is like a divorce, expensive, but well worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    I dunno... I think a DFI board is more like marriage... demanding, time consuming, and a PITA but rewarding in it's own twisted way.

I am Xtreme

But that was pretty much obvious since the last 2 months. Didn't Creative even state this?
    I am not sure if they made any official announcement yet. Was one made?... Link?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Member
    I heard that somewhere as well. Can't remember where though. My personal creative software favorite is the sound recorder. When the original version came out with the driver installation disk you could record in mp3 format. Then with there update system they removed that function so you were stuck recording in wav or wma. Soon after they released this RECORDER PACK for 10$, which restored that function.
    i7-3930K
    GA-x79-UD3
    Corsair H100
    4x2GB F3-12800CL6
    X-Fi Xtreme Music
    EVGA GTX 470
    Pioneer BDR-207DBK
    2X128GB Samsung 830's
    3XWD2002FYPS
    Corsair TX850
    Dell U2412M

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoasthandle View Post
    I am not sure if they made any official announcement yet. Was one made?... Link?
    Yeah, they said in the whole Daniel_K driver madness, that they intended on releasing new cards.
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Xtreme Member
    http://us.creative.com/alchemy/welcome.asp

Here's the link for the refund. Looks like they are getting serious in getting back their outraged customers including me.
    Core i7 920
    Scythe Mugen 2
    Silicon Power DDR3-1333 2GBx3
    Gigabyte EX58-UD4
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic 896MB
    Samsung Spinpoint F1 640GBx2 Matrix RAID
    Samsung Spinpoint F2 1TB
    Creative Audigy 2 ZS
    Winfast TV2000 XP Expert
    Antec Earthwatts 650W
    Coolermaster CM 690
    LG W2442PA
    Win 7 RC x64

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wyemarn View Post
    http://us.creative.com/alchemy/welcome.asp

Here's the link for the refund. Looks like they are getting serious in getting back their outraged customers including me.
    Hmm, did Audigy users ever had to pay for ALchemy. I have never used my Audigy 2 ZS Notebook card for Vista, and only my desktop X-Fi Fatal1ty Pro card (where ALchemy drivers/update most certainly didn't cost me anything).

There shouldn't be a refund for any software one hasn't purchased, but viewing the links, then I would assume that some actually have payed for ALchemy.

Creative should repay them of course, as this is a shameful act from Creative Labs. Good of them to offer this, but it was wrong to begin IMO.

What was the price of ALchemy to Audigy users? I have some difficulty to find what it is, but CL would never offer this if it wasn't a real thing. So... What was the price?

What was the price of ALchemy to Audigy users? I have some difficulty to find what it is, but CL would never offer this if it wasn't a real thing. So... What was the price?
    $10 USD.
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | 2x 4 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | 512 GB Crucial M4 SSD | Zotac Geforce GTX 660 Ti @ 1100 / 1600 MHz | OCZ ModXstream 600 PSU | Coolermaster Elite 120 mITX Case

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF-Inferno View Post
    $10 USD.
    Damn

Have any links (not that I doubt you, I am just curious)?

Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | 2x 4 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | 512 GB Crucial M4 SSD | Zotac Geforce GTX 660 Ti @ 1100 / 1600 MHz | OCZ ModXstream 600 PSU | Coolermaster Elite 120 mITX Case

Xtreme Addict
    Hmm, did Audigy users ever had to pay for ALchemy.
    Yes, Audigy users had to pay about 15$ for the software. For X-Fi users it was free.

Although this isn't proof that their drivers will get better, it's certain that this refund is a step in the right direction.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TRF-Inferno View Post
    Thanks alot!

This is just bad business practice and style. Again, good of CL to refund people, but bad in the first place

From the link, it appears that daniel_k had more to do with this (offering for free what CL wanted to be payed for), so they had no choice in the end. It wasn't CL's good will, but lack of choice that forced this.

Or have I misunderstood something?