Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dell XPS Case Mod - Gender Change => BTX to ATX

Xtreme Enthusiast

Dell XPS Case Mod - Gender Change => BTX to ATX

Having always liked the Dell XPS 700 series of case, i finally decided to get one and attempt to mod it so that a standard ATX board would fit. Translation - i was drunk, on ebay and thought "phuck it, lets give it a whirl"

Oh i should warn 56k users (are there any still out there?) that the pictures here arent exactly small!!!

Admire the case if you will .... before i get to butcher it .....

Its a damn heavy case, with the surrounding metal being 4mm thick. Its not magnetic either denoting really good quality steel. The finish is awesome and the case has an awesome quick release catch at the back and the door comes off very easily, but is rock solid when fitted.

Before you ask, the wires dangling down from the hard drive cages is from a 8cm fan placed between them.

The backing is completely the opposite to ATX, guaranteeing plenty of cutting. I'm wanting to keep the black plastic as much as possible to keep the look of the case.

The LED's at the front.

Stealth covers are actually part of one big door (release mechanism visible on 2nd picture). Each optical bay cover can be individually removed . Nice one!

A closer look at the drive cage, and the back plastic piece removed.

The front USB / Firewire & Audio connectors. Middle torch like thingies are dell's LAN activity and diagnostic lights.

As you can see its a proprietry part which the front LED's connect to. The plastic piece is the switch which affixes to the metal housing.

These LED's were at the back of the case, illuminating the IO panel. I intend to use them at the front, most likely for HDD activity lights.

The motherboard tray I have aquired for the job is from an Akasa Eclipse 62. They were willing to sell me one for £30 delivered. Sweet! Its a medium grade stainless steel piece (a magnet does stick to it) but it has an excellent finish. I wanted aluminium for cutting purposes but much preferred the look of this one.

First job is to cut the back out and see how the new motherboard tray is going to fit. But first, i need fuel!!

Ahhhhh the kebab, corner stone of any nutritional diet ...... to be washed down with liver destroying swedish "feel good" drink.

Bloated and feeling very important to the world for some reason, i started to attack the case. Marking and cutting out the back so that the motherboard tray would slide in was not as easy as i first thought. It involved many attempts at sliding it in only to discover a little bit more needed cutting here and there. The steel was particularly tough, its about 3mm thick and is by no means mild steel.

To top it off the dremel or JCB rotary tool gets very hot after 20 minutes of use. After much pulling on and off the bench i finally get the board seated.

I've lined the sides of the tray with electrical tape to avoid scratching on the rough metal. Since there will be much cutting i didnt see the point of smoothing it off each time only to cut it later. I dont want to waste too much time.

Another reason i chose the akasa is because it is wider than the xps case. Some of the Lian Li motherboard trays i found were not as wide and would only leave a gap to fill. Since this overlaps so much, it should hide any poor workmanship. Meaning much neater finishing lines. At least thats what i'm hoping.

Here you can see what i mean by the need to repeatadly measure and cut .... fitting it as best as possible, mark where / what needs to be cut and chop it off like a jewish newborn. It did start to get quite frustration.

You may dub it being overly cautious but i'd rather cut too little off at a time and take longer to complete than cut too much off and ruin it.

After much more cutting and smoothing of the xps case, its starting to come together. The fan was a bit high up so i had to drop the whole motherboard tray 4mm because of the plastic backing. But thanks to the thick and folded metal, weakening it is not an issue. Even with the extra cut off its still very strong.

As hoped, the Akasa mobo tray is covering up things nicely. A bit more cutting and milling to finalise the lines on the case and tray and i should be getting there. I even drilled some holes at the sides of the xps case so that the rivets on the mobo tray will pass through, seeing a flush fitting.

Need to mill down the rough and burs from the mobo tray. Also the fan grill has got to go! It is visually smaller than the 120mm fan and is going to choke airflow. Besides, the honey comb grill pertrudes outward and i will be mounting the fan externally. Reason being is that when i did this on my current case, my mobo temps dropped 1-2 degrees. Probably because of the location of rear heatsink on the P5B-Deluxe - air can be dragged up and out rather than up around and out. It never did anything to CPU temps, but i would like to keep that scenario for this case. I'll mount it internally as well just to compare.

Grill cut and top lines smoothed. Notice that the fan hole looks much bigger!

I also had to relocate the drilled holes .... remember i said i dropped the mobo 4mm? Well i didnt! At this stage, when fitting the mobo tray the back plastic piece was also re-fitted to see how things were lining up. Good thing is they cover up those drill holes. Yay.

Time to concentrate on the back plastic for a bit to assure proper allignment.

I dont really want to cut away all the plastic, i intend to re-use the off cuts and re-arrange / rebuilt the back to the new motherboard tray layout. You can see where i am going in the next picture

Its going to require some careful sanding and gluing .... i asked a friend to get me some quick drying epoxy resin since he was on the way up. Superglue turns plastic white with blisters!

However the idiot brought me 1 hour curing stuff. Do you know how long that takes to dry? YES, AN HOUR!!! Im not going to sit there holding two piece of plastic together for an hour, look how many of them there are! In his defence he does have an IQ that would rival a tomato plant in winter - "he thought it would go hard in a few minutes and be solid in an hour", where as its 24 hours.

Anyway, thats it for now. I've typed way to much and i'm coming down, or sobering up .... feel free to point out spelling or grammer errors, im sure it will keep me up at night. Otherwise comment away.

*edit* - ok after a quick read i saw loads of errors and did edit them, probably missed some but at least i'll sleep better !!!!!
    Last edited by it_burns_when_i_pee; 05-06-2008 at 06:33 PM.

"Never under estimate the predictability of stupidity"

=======
    Q6600 @ 3.6 / TRUE (both lapped)
    P5Q Deluxe
    4Gb Corsair DominatRIX 1066Mhz
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    2 x 320gb WD3200AAKS RAID-0
    Thermaltake Toughpower 850
    X-Fi Fatality / SR-71 Amp > Sennheiser HD650's & Logitech Z-5500
    HP W2207 TFT

and me??? Powered by absolut, kebabs, tramadol & a new liver

Xtreme Member
    Wow, this is going to be one nice project. That is already one beautiful case. Keep up the log!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Suscribed.. i want to see this finish..
    Nice work and very good start....
    iMac 24''
    BNDMOD @
    Cruz Alta (Cba.) Argentina

Xtreme Enthusiast

Talking

subscribed....good luck...take lots of pics for us who can't read without pics

Win7Pro 32-bit/ ABIT IP35 Pro v1.1 BIOS v.16beta09/ Intel C2D E8400 Batch Q748A223 /Xigmatek HDT-RS1283/ 4GB Corsair CM2X2048-6400C5DHX 5-5-5-18 1.80V ver4.1/ CORSAIR 850AX/ CM Stacker 830SE/ ZALMAN ZM-F3RL 120mm Red LED/120mm Yate Loon D12SL-12 Red LED/ Creative Labs Fatal1ty ProGamer/ MSI R7870/ Dell UltraSharp 2407FPW-HC...new FPS: Groundbranch.com/
    Ace's 40mm fan solution...be my buddy

Xtreme Addict
    FINISH IT NOW!!

this is going to be SICK

what machine you putting in there?
    FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    Cruncher Support:
    Utnorris
    DarthBeavis
    DEFRANCO NATION

E6600- Asus striker Extreme-2 x 750gb- Igloo 5710- 8800gt- antec 850w Quatro- 4gb DDR2 800- Antec 1200- 24/7 cruncher

**Wishes for a dual- quad core cruncher **

Xtreme Member
    call me blind, but i think this case looks awesome
    if i had the $$$ and the skillz, i'd try modding it (or a powermac g5 <- also awesome) myself

keep it up lad, subscribed
    }{ my photoBLOG

Canon 5D | Canon 17-40 F4L | Canon 135 F2L | Sigma 70 F2.8 EX Macro | Manfrotto CXPRO4 | Markins Q3 | Lee filters

Xtreme Addict
    WoW!

now i gotta get me some Kebab myself!

oh, and amazing work BTW!
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Suscribed. Good luck on the modding.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    cheers guys

any suggestions are welcome too. you may have an idea that i didnt

have done more work today and will be uploading some more pictures in a little while

=======
    P5Q Deluxe
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    HP W2207 TFT

Xtreme Enthusiast

update!

Started off cutting the HDD carriages this morning. Only issue is i cant find my ear plugs and it gets a bit loud. Doesnt help that i have tinitus either. Its only a small mod but will help with airflow and drag:

Done some finishing detail to the mobo tray and case too - rubbing off the burs and smoothing the rough edges.

Fitting quite nicely! There's a bit more metal work to do but i've had enough of the dremel and noise so i am going to concentrate on some other parts of the case today.

Time for gluing or rather, epoxy'ing the new plastic layout ... with 5 minute stuff!!

I'm still doing small bits at a time, making sure its all going to align.

Most have glued on flush all round but some have gaps at the sides. I'm going to fill these with a bit of car body filler, rub down, polish and re-lacquer. If i am unhappy with the result i can always line a piece of black plastic to run parallel to the side of the case, hiding the joins.

The little curved piece left over is going to bridge the gap and intersect the next plastic run. Reverse of how it is in the first lot of pictures.

Not looking bad at all. But thats it for plastic work until tomorrow as the epoxy says it should be left a whole 24 hours to truly harden and i'll give it that before i work on it some more.

Time for some grub! Tonights kebab is from the Bengal Spice, known as a Chicken Chat Kebab ....

... mmmmmmmmm, its not so carb friendly because of the naan bread, but it's well worth it. Having to settle for an inferior 37.5% generic brand vodka too

Oh well, back to work ....

I want to use the cases power button, usb & firewire ports & LED's.

Using a multi meter i quickly gave up on dell's proprietary PCB. I'm going to have to make my own ports.

First i need some spares :

Which are then cut down to size to give a snug fit:

After some sanding they are now a little loose but this is intended so that there is room for the epoxy.

I used some penny coins to bridge the gaps and aid alignment. All the ports are glued to one another, the metal housing & coins, making for extra strength. I've plugged and un-plugging USB and firewire and they are rock solid. Excellent!

I ended up using different USB ports which i forgot to photo before they were glued in, reason for change is that they had longer flat edges meaning more surface contact to adhere to, similiar to the firewire port.

As you can see, i've had to improvise on the power switch! When fitted, the dell's power button only moves about 1mm when pressed, its a very smooth effect. The button is part of a lengthy piece of plastic, which at the extreme does travel 6mm and when fitted to the dell PCB, presses a very "easy to click" button. Check the first set of pictures to see what i mean.

I intended on using a spare power button i got from an old case, however the dell mechanism does not move or exert enough pressure to work it. Seeing as the power button simply closes a circuit the solution is not complex and just needs to make contact when pressed.

A closer look ... cables are soldered to metal motherboard stand off's, one being epoxy'd to a piece of plastic, insulating it from the chassis and the other to the extended shaft of the power button.

Tested and it all works! It wont really be that visible when installed but i intend to cover it up since the rear looks a bit ugly. I may revise the power button depending if i find an alternative solution.

Next up the LED's - they are multi colored and can be changed via the bios on dell xps motherboards.

Using a multi meter it wasnt long before i worked out whats what. There's 7 colors available, 2 different blues, green, purple, red, white & yellow:

All from the same LED gadget. Neat eh?

The front LED's are wired the same so there's no difference with them. I'm a bit unsure on how i'll be having the LED layout. Im thinking of having the small one for HDD activity LED's at the front bottom and the case LED's would be static. I could manufacture a little PCB or wire system with switches so i can change the colors at will, even when on. What do you guys think?

I also got the EL wire from a Habu mouse i would like to use somehow. It was salvaged from my mates mouse when it died ..... immediately after bouncing off the wall. He takes being owned in CSS very badly

Any suggestions?

And lastly, for now anyway. I got this doo-hickey:

It'll allow me to hook up sata drives externally, more of a neat feature than a requirement. I have an old FDD i can butcher and merge the two, then have it occupy a 3.5 bay which is stealthed - check the first set of pictures.

Thats it for now. Tomorrow i'm hoping to finish off the metal work, plastic and make a start on the front audio ports - would like to intergrate the SR71 somehow.

=======
    P5Q Deluxe
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    HP W2207 TFT

Xtreme Member
    Seems to me that you have too much spare time or a hobby which is just great for us as we like to watch
    I'd say it's awesome what you've done so far but that is just a peak of an iceberg I assume. Well I've subscribed the theard. It'll be great to see what you'll do with this case becouse I love it :P. Too bad I just can't do one.
    All in all, I'm astonished and hope i'll be even more ;o
    Pentax k10d and a backpack of lenses...

My flickr

-AK

Xtreme Cruncher
    Amazing...subscribed for sure!

Xtreme Member
    Subscribed as well, great attention to detail!
    My new Intel build, logged here.

WE GO PLAY HOOP
    -Barry

Xtreme Member
    Definately some awesome work, and thanks alot, I am now hungry.

Xtreme Member
    Looking very nice mate, keep up the good work, and them kebabs
    · Asus P5E Mobo
    · Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Clocking @ 3.05GHz (335 x 9 multiplier, 1.43V) 1600FSB
    · GeIL 4GB PC6400C4 Memory @ 835MHz
    · XFX 512MB 8800GTS ~ (Core Speed: 780MHz, Memory Speed: 2080MHz, Shader Clock: 1950MHz)
    · X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Sound
    · Samsung F1 1TB HDD
    · SpinPoint T 320GB HDD
    · CoolerMaster RealPower M 700w
    · Windows 7 Enterprise 64bit, Service Pack 1

EXTREME-SHOWCASE.com

Xtreme Member
    Subscribed and wow... you sure know how to spend your buzz on something productive!

Xtreme Member
    arrrg bad memories once i saw that glens vodka, its disgusting and probally the cheapest vodka next to value vodka . Anyway nice modding, I always thought the XPS range we're ugly to be honest. Prove me wrong

Xtreme Addict
    there you go with the kebabs again...

damn, i'm hungry...
    "The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times challenge and controversy."
    Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

DIY: Self Clinching Nuts

Canon EOS 7D | Tokina 12-24mm f/4 | Canon EF 24-105 f/4 L | Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 L IS Mk II | Canon EF 35mm f/1.4 L | Canon EF 400mm f/5.6 L | Canon EF 100-400mm f/4-5.6 L

Xtreme Addict
    i've always liked that case...now i'm liking it MORE! nice job!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    cheers for the comments!

not really had a chance to do anything today, still may get a kebab tho?

nah, i dont think i earned it. will be attacking it some more tomorrow

=======
    P5Q Deluxe
    1Gb HD 4870 + HR03-GT
    HP W2207 TFT

Xtreme Member
    You need to start eating something other than kebabs and vodka or you wont get to finish this project :o

Xtreme Enthusiast
    vodka thread? im here then

Intel Xeon W3520 4200MHz HT
    Foxconn Bloodrage
    3x2Gb Patriot Viper II DDR3-1600 6-6-6-16
    MSI GTX480 M2D15 850/1700/2000
    Samsung F1 1TB
    Corsair TX950W
    Stacker 832 w/ Dual Loop Watercooling aka *Bong Build*
    NEC 2690WUXi
    Loop 1: Laing DDC1-T -> Watercool HK 3.0 LT -> Thermochill PA120.3 -> Bloodrage NB -> EK Res 150
    Loop 2: Laing DDC1-T -> EK-FC GTX480 -> Thermochill PA120.2 -> EK Res 150

*New* CM 690 II Advanced Watercooled

*Coming soon* Stacker 832 Rebirth!

Xtreme Addict
    this is so interesting....a lot of mod stuff has been done along with Vodka!

DySfunCtiOnal MeMbEr
    Why cant i see the pictures??
    Windows 7 64 Bit
    BenQ FP241W Black 24" LCD
    Mountain Mod Case w/ Base
    Asus Rampage III Black Edition
    i9-990x @ 4.58GHz - 1.36v Temps (Idle 23C - Load 48C)
    12GB Corsiar Dominator GT (PC3 15000) @ 9-9-9-24 1T - 1.65v
    Sapphire 5870 x3 "OC" w/ EK Water Block Temps (25C-49C)
    EK-Supreme / 4 Alphacool Laing DDC-Pump Ultras + Extras
    Power Supply / 2x Silver Stone DX1000
    Western Digital 1.0TB x 3
    Crosair SSD 128GB x 2

World Community Grid!

Subscribed, have seen somebody attempt this before. Attempt and quit i might add.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast