Evga GTX 280
    Raptor X (3) 150's Raid 0
    Targen BZ 1100w
    Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Xclio

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentarius View Post
    this maybe offtopic .. but how do u actually hear a difference between the normal cd quality and the high def audio?

what actually benefit having high def audio? they sounds same to me though
    It also depends on the quality of the original source material. It's much easier to hear the difference on an album recorded in the 70s or 80s than today due to the beloved loudness war.
    3570K ● Asus V Gene ● 8GB Mushkin DDR3-2133 ● EVGA 660 Ti SC ● Seasonic X750 ● 128GB Samsung 830 SSD & External 1TB RAID1

SupremeFX SPDIF -> MHDT Constantine DAC -> Darkvoice 336i Tube Amplifier -> AKG K701

Xtreme Member
    you need a (very) good sound system to hear the difference

but those guys usually dont hear music like NIN, more stuff like classic
    (its the ultimative goal of not hearing the diffrence between the sound system and a really good orchestra, even as someone with the absolute pitch)
    system:

Phenom II 920 3.5Ghz @ 1.4v, benchstable @ over 3,6Ghz (didnt test higher)
    xigmatek achilles
    sapphire hd4870 1gb @ 820 1020
    Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H
    8gb a-data 4-4-4-12 800
    x-fi xtrememusic
    rip 2x 160gb maxtor(now that adds up to 4...)
    320gb/250gb/500gb samsung

Xtreme Addict
    lame question:
    is vbr quality 0 better than constant 320kbs?
    cause if so, then the FLAC i just downloaded and made 320kbs constant is worse than the mp3 one they have for download there lol.
    Last edited by grimREEFER; 05-06-2008 at 09:02 AM.
    DFI P965-S/core 2 quad q6600@3.2ghz/4gb gskill ddr2 @ 800mhz cas 4/xfx gtx 260/ silverstone op650/thermaltake xaser 3 case/razer lachesis

Xtreme Addict
    Downloaded, and appreciate what they are doing, but not really a fan of the music. Just cool having 1.4gb of 10 songs though

i5 750 @ 3.2 Ghz, stock volts on stock cooling
    4GB G.Skill DDR3-1600 7-7-7-21
    Gigabyte P55-DS2
    EVGA GTX260 192shader

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobalt View Post
    It also depends on the quality of the original source material. It's much easier to hear the difference on an album recorded in the 70s or 80s than today due to the beloved loudness war.
    QFT! I'm listening to Reel to Reel recorded with my Phase Linear Series 11 set up and was slammed with this after the first recordings. Even the Tapes with Analog Range Expansion and Noise Reduction showed just what the diag at Wikki showed
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Member
    kk, here are a few examples for some of the "quality" questions being asked.

This is a comparison of a complete different album: The wretched.

The top version is the Vinyl copy (16/44), the bottom version is the flac rip from cd (also 16/44). The replaygain difference is enormous and as someone pointed out earlier it has to do with the loudness war.

Now to the real difference. The top version on this one is the FLAC provided by NIN (16/44), the bottom is a FLAC I encoded from the 24/96 PCM's that came with the HD sound (.wav's are untaggable and there is no advantage to them). As you can see the replay gain on the HD's is slightly lower, but you can tell the 96kHz really plays a factor on the sound that is allowed by the track.

As far as needing "tens of thousands of dollars" of equipment to hear the difference, that used to be true. Nowadays you just need a HD sound card and a high quality headset from sennheiser or similar to pick up the difference.

LAME V0's are still the optimal compression/quality format for any music, and will be more than enough quality for 95% of users, I can't tell the difference between a V0 and FLAC most of the time, but vinyl vs v0 is night and day to me.
    Last edited by Verisimilitude; 05-06-2008 at 11:07 AM.
    Rig 1: E6400 @ 3.0Ghz // ASUS P5B-DLX // G.Skill 2GB DDR2 800 @ 4-4-3-4 // Western Digital and Seagate Drives = 1.5TB HDD // eVGA 9600GT KO
    Rig 2: FX-55 @ Stock // MSI nForce 4 Platinum // Mushkin 1GB DDR 400 @ 2.5-3-3 // Western Digital Caviar 160GB // Sapphire X1950PRO

I actually use V1 because there is miniscule difference if any at all. My files end up usually between 200-270kbps.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Ended getting up FLAC anyway, forgot my sound card doesn't do 96kHz w/ASIO. Foobar biatched at me.
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Addict
    Wait, so how does NIN gain a profit other than from concerts? If there isn't one, then I personally won't be holding my breath for a mass adoption.

Core i7 920 D0 B-batch (4.1) (Kinda Stable?) | DFI X58 T3eH8 (Fed up with its' issues, may get a new board soon) | Patriot 1600 (9-9-9-24) (for now) | XFX HD 4890 (971/1065) (for now) |
    80GB X25-m G2 | WD 640GB | PCP&C 750 | Dell 2408 LCD | NEC 1970GX LCD | Win7 Pro | CoolerMaster ATCS 840 {Modded to reverse-ATX, WC'ing internal}

CPU Loop: MCP655 > HK 3.0 LT > ST 320 (3x Scythe G's) > ST Res >Pump
    GPU Loop: MCP655 > MCW-60 > PA160 (1x YL D12SH) > ST Res > BIP 220 (2x YL D12SH) >Pump

I am Xtreme
    Maybe the downloads have spyware
    Core i3-550 Clarkdale @ 4.2GHz, 1.36v (Corsair A50 HS/F) LinX Stable
    MSI H55-GD65 Motherboard
    G.Skill 4GBRL DDR3-1600 @ 1755, CL9, 1.55v
    Sapphire Radeon 5750 1GB
    Samsung F4 320GB - WD Green 1TB
    Xigmatek Utgard Case - Corsair VX550

Xtreme Member
    Here is my chain:

Vista 64 set to 44.1/16 --> Foobar w/ASIO plugin --> Prelude driver (set to bit perfect) --> Prelude stock DAC --> Upgraded OPAMP --> headphones

Now this normally works perfect for CDs ripped to .wav using EAC.

My question is will ASIO automatically recognize the 96/24 when playing these NIN HD .wav files or will I have to freaking change Vista 64 sound properties from 44.1/16 to 96/24 (which would be annoying)?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    Wait, so how does NIN gain a profit other than from concerts? If there isn't one, then I personally won't be holding my breath for a mass adoption.
    You think artists make money from CD sales? They hardly make anything from them. The real money COMES from Concerts and merchandise sales
    Fold for XS!
    You know you want to

I am Xtreme
    which ASIO plugin are you guys using? I have found ASIO to be buggy at best with no noticable quality improvement in sound... All i find its good for is recording in zero latency... which according to my understanding thats all that asio is anyway, just zero latency from your pc to your ear. having no tonal impact on sound at all.

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

I admit I may be wrong in my understanding of ASIO, but here is a section from Wikipedia:

"...an unmixed ASIO output is "bit identical", that is, the bits sent to the sound card are identical to those of the original WAV file, thus having higher audio fidelity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output

Pie assassin
    Quote Originally Posted by Yukon Trooper View Post
    Probably not different at all unless you have the proper sound system.
    x-fi elite pro + these=

Quote Originally Posted by ColonelCain View Post
    as i recall pretty much every nin show for the last 10 years has been sold out within min. of ticket release.
    i dont think trent cares about money anymore.
    Last edited by ZenEffect; 05-06-2008 at 08:41 PM.
    Current Status - Testing & Research

I am Xtreme
    Downloaded. Too bad the album isn't all that great. I miss the good ol' NIN albums.

Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    x-fi elite pro + these=
    X-Fi + AT World Map?

Unless the X-Fi is modded its only "good" as far as audio quality goes.
    System
    ASUS Z170-Pro
    Skylake i7-6700K @ 4600 Mhz
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC
    32 GB G.Skill Ripjaws V
    Samsung 850 EVO (2)
    EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2
    Corsair Hydro H90
    NZXT S340

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Zorlac View Post
    I admit I may be wrong in my understanding of ASIO, but here is a section from Wikipedia:

"...an unmixed ASIO output is "bit identical", that is, the bits sent to the sound card are identical to those of the original WAV file, thus having higher audio fidelity."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Stream_Input/Output
    That's some creative editing.
    ASIO bypasses the normal audio path from the user application through layers of intermediary Windows operating system software, so that the application connects directly to the soundcard hardware. Each layer that is bypassed means a reduction in latency, the delay between an application sending sound to the sound being reproduced by the soundcard. In this way ASIO offers a relatively simple way of accessing multiple audio inputs and outputs independently. Its main strength lies in its method of bypassing the inherently high latency of operating system audio mixing kernels (KMixer), allowing direct, high speed communication with audio hardware. Unlike KMixer, an unmixed ASIO output is "bit identical", that is, the bits sent to the sound card are identical to those of the original WAV file, thus having higher audio fidelity.
    You still don't understand..ASIO has NOTHING to do with bit-matching....other than that it doesn't modify the source material. It allows for direct acces to hardware, with little-to know latency, using MIDI.

ASIO was developed by Stienberg(Cubasis) as a cross-platform multi-channel driver for audio. There are many instances where ASIO would NOT be bitmatched(such as with ADAT devices) although ASIO 2.0 should have solved this(X-FI should be ASIO 2.0 compliant). ASIO 2.2 works well with ADAT devices.

ASIO is a standard for communication, and nothing else. MIx an ASIO stream, and it can be unmatched, quite easily. Using ASIO for audio only allows you to bypass software audio processing, and was used for Creative cards in Vista before WaveRT was fixed. WaveRT is now fixed, and using ASIO prvides no benefit over WaveRT, unless using MIDI devices. It was a bypass for Vista's audio stack...which works quite fine now. You really have no need for ASIO, and now have added extra latency to your audio stream due to the foobar plug-in.
    Last edited by cadaveca; 05-07-2008 at 08:32 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    pretty awesome album and the fact that i downloaded it free and legal makes it even more sweet.

This is how music should be!

Xtreme Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cadaveca View Post
    That's some creative editing.

You still don't understand..ASIO has NOTHING to do with bit-matching....other than that it doesn't modify the source material. It allows for direct acces to hardware, with little-to know latency, using MIDI.

ASIO was developed by Stienberg(Cubasis) as a cross-platform multi-channel driver for audio. There are many instances where ASIO would NOT be bitmatched(such as with ADAT devices) although ASIO 2.0 should have solved this(X-FI should be ASIO 2.0 compliant). ASIO 2.2 works well with ADAT devices.

ASIO is a standard for communication, and nothing else. MIx an ASIO stream, and it can be unmatched, quite easily. Using ASIO for audio only allows you to bypass software audio processing, and was used for Creative cards in Vista before WaveRT was fixed. WaveRT is now fixed, and using ASIO prvides no benefit over WaveRT, unless using MIDI devices. It was a bypass for Vista's audio stack...which works quite fine now. You really have no need for ASIO, and now have added extra latency to your audio stream due to the foobar plug-in.
    So how do I make sure that I am hearing 24/96 through my headphones? Do I set Vista to 24/96, driver to bit perfect output and Foobar to 24/96? I understood that Vista would always mess with the audio source unless you used ASIO or an application supporting Exclusive Mode (foobar does not have this). I wish there was some sort of application that would tell you the sound signal info that was leaving the sound card's analog out or at least the info that hits the DAC in the soundcard.

Also, where can I find a dedicated analog volume control so as to bypass the digital volume control in Windows (or does such a thing exist)? Would look something like this:

Vista 64 --> Foobar --> Prelude driver --> Prelude DAC --> Prelude OPAMP --> analog out --> analog volume control box --> headphones

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Torrenting 96/24 and apple lossless now..

Barely hitting 1mib/s down... Im disapointed.
    SEED THIS!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The album art is nice, but the music.... sucks.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by ZenEffect View Post
    as i recall pretty much every nin show for the last 10 years has been sold out within min. of ticket release.
    i dont think trent cares about money anymore.
    QFT! NIN can afford to! I even have most of their Quake 2 and add on music. As a fan club member some were shown how to Rip the MP3 from the Games. At least 7 of the tracks are as the young folks say, "Da Bomb." It is sweet that some groups can afford this.

To the other guys, please stop the BS about bands or performers not making money off CD's. Please try to make yourself not feel guilty for stealin' some other way LOL!
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman
    With the two approaches to "how" to design a processor WE are the lucky ones as we get to choose what is important to us as individuals.
    For that we should thank BOTH (AMD and Intel) companies!

Posted by duploxxx
    I am sure JF is relaxed and smiling these days with there intended launch schedule. SNB Xeon servers on the other hand....
    Posted by gallag
    there yo go bringing intel into a amd thread again lol, if that was someone droping a dig at amd you would be crying like a girl.
    qft!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ZOMGVTEK View Post
    The album art is nice, but the music.... sucks.
    you may dislike the music but that does not however mean that it sucks , plenty of people like it , it may not be their best album but it is a very good one

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast