Thread: ThermalTake Sonic Tower dual fan mod?

Xtreme Enthusiast

Question ThermalTake Sonic Tower dual fan mod?

Has anyone added a second fan to the Thermaltake Sonic Tower? I currently have one Link Depot 120mm fan on there. It seems like the air just got dispearsed in the middle, it doesn't penetrate through the other side's tower. I was to add another 120mm fan in the middle, but the Link Depot fan that I current use is too thick. Are there a thinner but still high flow (80cfm or higher) fan that will fit in the middle? Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by awdrifter View Post
    Has anyone added a second fan to the Thermaltake Sonic Tower? I currently have one Link Depot 120mm fan on there. It seems like the air just got dispearsed in the middle, it doesn't penetrate through the other side's tower. I was to add another 120mm fan in the middle, but the Link Depot fan that I current use is too thick. Are there a thinner but still high flow (80cfm or higher) fan that will fit in the middle? Thanks.
    better would be fitting fan on the other side instead of in the middle... you should do it like this

Fan pushing->1st part of heatsink->empty space->2nd part of heatsink->fan pulling

In this setup the pulling fan can suck some fresh air. It will improve your temps even more

Hope could help

EDIT: When you'll have those two fans on both heatsink sides, don't even think of mounting 3rd one in that empty space between The Two Towers (lotr, eh ?). Having fan in that empty space, it will blow hot air and will INCREASE your temps
    Last edited by Kosior; 05-05-2008 at 01:10 AM.
    Pentax k10d and a backpack of lenses...

My flickr

-AK

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Cool. In that case, I think I'll just get another Link Depot fan. Thanks for the reply.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I did the dual fan and the tape mod today, dropped the max load temp from 65c to 61c. So I'm pretty happy with it.