Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: using car radiators...why not?

Xtreme Member
    P.s. I am looking for info on building a 230v potentiometre and a way to connect system startup and pump startup. Not so many people have 230v pumps in the forum so I have difficulty in finding relevant threads.

Maybe some of you have some advice/hint to threads or forums they can give me.

thanks
    Watercooled by:
    ek supreme
    2 iwaki md-30rz in series
    2 Audi tt 44x66cm car radiators....

The Ultimate Tribute to Radiators...

Daily:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Eheim pumps are 240 V. Try searching eheim relay. As for changing the voltage for the pump, try to see if you can get hold of a lamp dimmer spec at 300 W. I don't know how well it would work though, as a lamp is considered as an inductive {charge? my english is failing me here} and the pump is capacitive.

But if I were you I wouldn't mess with it. I had once a 2300W pot for a heating element so that I could control the power transferred to a liquid, over time the transmission lines became dust covered and started a fire. Thank God that I was home and noticed that the power went out.

I Are DuneCat
    I Controls The Spice
    I Controls The Universe

Cooler Master ATCS 840 | Corsair HX 520W | Asus P5Q Pro | Q9550 | HD4870 | Corsair Dominator 4GB PC8500 |
    D-Tek FuZion v2 - EK RES 150 - Swiftech MCR-220/320 - Swiftech MCW-60 - DDC 3.2 + Petra's Top

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexontherocks View Post
    well I have a dog and even though cats and dogs behave very differently (dogs being on average more trusting thus dumber) I have noticed animals are particularly apt at avoiding dangerous substances. I know this is not always the case and sorry if someone lost any kind of pet over poisonous spillage of any kind but the fact remains that 9/10 an animal won't lick a chemical unless it was especially designed to be very inviting for the dog itself.

Several times in the mountains (I go climbing and hiking a lot hence the nick ) my dog has avoided streams and puddles even if thirsty. I can only infer that there was something wrong with the water which is entirely possible given that algae and especially chemicals used in cultivation and secondary agricultural activities are prone to be dispersed in the environment.

This is my two cents on how dumb dogs really are. We should give them more credit IMHO.

cheers
    I replied before seeing other people address it. Like I said, some of you did not know before. Now you do. If you pet dies and you just did what you always do then that is on your shoulders.
    Last edited by DarthBeavis; 05-05-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Xtreme Member
    I was just sharing my personal experience. Unfortunately accidents happen so I agree with you: better to err on the side of caution than be sorrow.

My best choice would be to use high quality barbs,good strong metal clamps and thick tubing. Then of course I would not normally leave my computer on during my absence but just in case the afore mentioned precautions should suffice.

Getting back to my watercooling rig I am curious: have tests been conducted on watercooling setups do determine wether it is better to keep the circuit flowing 24/7or is it ok to have the pump going on and off?
    Watercooled by:
    ek supreme

Daily:

I am Xtreme
    I was just sharing my personal experience. Unfortunately accidents happen so I agree with you: better to err on the side of caution than be sorrow.

My best choice would be to use high quality barbs,good strong metal clamps and thick tubing. Then of course I would not normally leave my computer on during my absence but just in case the afore mentioned precautions should suffice.

Getting back to my watercooling rig I am curious: have tests been conducted on watercooling setups do determine wether it is better to keep the circuit flowing 24/7or is it ok to have the pump going on and off?
    Good question. I run my clinic server 24/7. No problems. I have had to add coolant once in the last year that about it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Glycol also has a higher viscosity than plain water. Antifreeze also acts as an anti-boiling agent. Coolant temps in car engines typically run 180F+, and it's not uncommon to have it over 212F on a hot day with heavy driving. Heat reduces the viscosity and I believe cars are mostly aluminum (head, pump, and radiator anyway).

I'm almost always available on Steam to chat. Same username.

Xtreme Member
    as far as I know G12 is effective against galvanic corrosion and cavitation. I believe substancial occurance of both is due to the presence of metals with different characteristics in the loop. I was actually pretty amazed that this guy on this forum found a racing car radiator made out copper. As fr as I know copper is a better absorbant of heat than aluminium but it is just not as effective as releasing that same heat. Also the weight must have been quite an issue. If at all possibile I would go for an aluminium radiator.

I also thought of using parts from phase change arrays such as condensers (I may be wrong...I meant the aluminium radiators with copper coils) but the size and weight made me alook elsewhere. The surface area is good but the shape is wrong. I will have my radiator sitting under my table against the wall (held 10 cm away from the wall) thus I rather not have anything thicker than that.
    Watercooled by:
    ek supreme

Daily:

Xtreme Member
    small edit: is Zalman ZM-G100 a good anti corrosive? Honestly I feel all modding products are a waste of money when it comes to large scale water cooling loops (my loop will ahev almost 5 metres of tubing). Anyway I await your opinions...
    Watercooled by:
    ek supreme

Daily:

I am Xtreme
    I will look into having an impeller made out of copper; I just will have difficulty finding anyone willing to make one for a very reasonable price.

Regarding anticorrosives I gather that

1) the optimal ratio is 1:10

2) antifreeze designed to avoid cavitation and galvanic corrosion is preferable thus something like G12 could do

3) there is still a minor issue: I would like to add UV additives to the mixture but anything other than red will react negatively in terms of end result. I was hoping for green but it seems that being forced to use a red anticorrosion agent I would eventually end up with something dark purple. Isn't there an alternative to G12 that looks more blu/green? (this is not important but it would look very good in the end)

thanks!
    Naval Brass would be a better choice for the impeller.

If your stuck using mixed metals (which I will never recommend), use an sacrificial anode (like zinc) or run a much higher mix of anti-freeze than normal (say no less than 3:10, maybe 4:10), anything less is just a honest request for trouble. The 1:10 most ppl run doesn't provide anywhere near the protection needed (IIRC, phelan1777 had trouble at this ratio). I suspect that ratio to be near optimal for those that want colored coolant, just enough for good color yet not enough to hurt the heat transfer properties too much.
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

Xtreme Member
    so if I understood correctly you suggest getting hold of a piece of zinc and putting it in the system...

regarding the ratio would you suggest that even with my pump, a car radiator and only one block in the loop I could encounter significant drop in efficiency?

Anyway please be patient because I will be posting pictures very soon of my rig. I just need to understand what fittings to use to adapt tygon 8mm to the intake/outake of the car radiator.
    Watercooled by:
    ek supreme

Daily:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    look for the redline water wetter i think it has an anticorrosive agent in it and it doesnt hinder performance

Q9450 @3.60 Ghz, Striker II Formula, Evga 9800GTX (863/2050/1200), 2X2gb 1100 5,5,5,18 D9's at 2.20V
    Cooled by: MCR320, D-Tek Fuzion V2, MCP335 w/ EK G3/8 TOPS, Full BP high flow 1/2" fittings
    Oh and Vista Ultimate (i know, I KNOW!)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Ethylene glycol merely toxic, not highly toxic. I don't want to encourage irresponsible use around children and pets, but looking around in my household i can find far more dangerous products.

Xtreme Addict
    this is kinda funny and off topic but i just read this

"The cure for antifreeze poisoning is alcohol. (It''s like treating diabetes with Charleston Chews.) It inhibits the toxicity of the ethylene glycol.

When Australian paramedics brought the Italian man to the hospital, they hooked him up and started dripping medical-grade alcohol into his veins. The hospital was low on their supply of alcohol and quickly ran out.

Apparently, the Italian man had been at the hospital before he found the antifreeze.

The Australian doctors had to go to the store and buy a case of vodka. They dripped about three drinks an hour into the man's veins. They had to keep the poor guy drunk to keep him alive. That will teach him."

aside from that

im taking G11 out of my loops and going distilled +pt nuke from now on.. unless nukes going to kill me too

Xtreme Addict
    The copper sulfate, which is the active chemical in it, is really only harmful to fish, snails, and aquatic parasites.

So unless your one of the above you should be safe.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairydust View Post
    Ethylene glycol merely toxic, not highly toxic.
    You do not know what in the hell you are talking about. Show me your medical degree.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post
    The copper sulfate, which is the active chemical in it, is really only harmful to fish, snails, and aquatic parasites.

+1 . . .the wife agreed it is safe to use

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by aspire.comptech View Post

looks like im out if luck..

thanks

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
    You do not know what in the hell you are talking about. Show me your medical degree.
    I was wrong, it's not even toxic.

Neither criteria for classification as "highly toxic" or "toxic" are met by ethylene glycol as per US OSHA or EU. I am not saying it's harmless, far from it, I just don't like the wrong use of clearly defined labels.

Xtreme Addict
    Toxic by definition means: Harmful, destructive or deadly to living things.

I think it is safe to say that Ethylene Glycol is in fact harmful, destructive or deadly to living things and as such could be considered Toxic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chruschef in regards to Thermaltake water cooling
    you'd be better off cooling your components with a fire....

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairydust View Post
    I was wrong, it's not even toxic.

Neither criteria for classification as "highly toxic" or "toxic" are met by ethylene glycol as per US OSHA or EU. I am not saying it's harmless, far from it, I just don't like the wrong use of clearly defined labels.
    LOL . . .you word mincer. Dude, please try to be responsible at least a bit. I am probably one of the biggest goofballs you will ever come across . . .but I personally have seen many animals die while I am at our clinic. I hear tons of horror stories from my wife that take place most of the time I am not there. We own a 6 doctor practice that is one of the few that takes walk-ins during normal hours so we basically are a day-time emergency clinic.

The cases that really make you feel bad are the ones that are so easily prevented if people just took a little extra step or exercised the smallest bit of common sense (like not having a dog free in the back of your pickup truck).

http://www.avma.org/communications/b...d_brochure.asp
    Antifreeze, Herbicides and Insecticides
    Ethylene glycol-containing antifreeze and coolants, even in small quantities, can be fatal to both dogs and cats. While antifreeze products containing propylene glycol are less toxic than those containing ethylene glycol, they can still be dangerous. In addition to antifreeze, other substances routinely stored in the garage including insecticides, plant/lawn fertilizers, weed killers, ice-melting products and gasoline also pose a threat to your pet's health if ingested.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I might be a little pedantic, i give you that. But pretty much everything shows some form of toxicity depending on dose. Either way, I agree with you that when kids or pets are around you have to pay extra attention to things you have lying around.

edit: Kaptcrunch you might find this helpful.
    Last edited by Fairydust; 05-05-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    Something i think you guys overlooked, transmission oil coolers. A lot of them have copper coils with aluminum fins and have an internal design in the coils to creat a turbulence for maximum cooling. might give a look to some of these.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

yea, I have been thinking about transmission oil coolers, especially automatic transmission coolers, but the problem is most of them are aluminum from what ive seen. they are also the perfect size for 4 120mm fans

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    yeah, if you got to an auto speed shop, you can pick what you need, plus they come precleaned and a warranty.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Chasing After Diety
    im just going to keep quiet in this one.

But everyone knows my personal opinion. :T

And yes car radiators unless heatercores are made out of alu.
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast