Thread: Vapochill LS mod question

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...

Vapochill LS mod question

Well, I've been doing testing with the phenoms for the past 5 months. Its come to the conclusion that phenoms do decent on air and best on high end water, as long as it isn't cooled below 0C. Using my vapochill I've found that it clocks less when its cold, my 9850 won't do above 2750 on the vapochill and does over 3ghz on air. My 9600 does slightly better, it got 2875 on cold and 3025 on air(but it hates voltage).

I was wondering if there is anything I can do to mod my vapo so that it the chip remains above 0C or just stays at 0C idle, but then more power can be applied at load. I'm clueless as to how to go about this, it'll probably go back to sitting in my closet if I can't do anything.
    Not much to say right now.

-150c Club Member
    Can't

If you have a cooling question or concern feel free to contact me.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    maybe you want to to mod your vapochill.
    Last edited by Marvin; 05-03-2008 at 07:11 PM.
    Q9550 EO @ 4.1
    Asus P5Q Deluxe
    4 Gb DDR2 Gskill
    2xVelociraptors 300 gb Raid 0
    Sapphire Vapor 4870 1Gb
    PCP&C 750w silencer psu

Xtreme Member
    Sorry, there is no easy mod to control the temperature on the head of your vapochill. If you are into AMD, perhaps a Waterchiller would be best for you? In the slight positive Celsius range this would be the way to go.

Perhaps (and I mean PERHAPS), a change from 404 or 134a to R600 would do the trick...

Regards,

Philipp

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Northeast Ohio, Where the weather changes every 30 min...
    I was seeing if there was a less expensive way to do it before buying a completely new cooling solution again. That looks like the easiest thing to do, I'm not knowledgable on how to change refridgerants so I'm not going to bother. I'll just save the vapo for another day, when I decide to get an intel system again or at least 45nm phenoms come out cause the odds of someone doing testing with cold on them is slim to none because they just look for the temp it stops working and then do nothing else.
    Not much to say right now.

-100c Club Member
    Tune the unit based on R134a or warmer gas with larger capacity...
    [SIGPIC]http://www.vapoli.com/Images/Forum/vapoli.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Single Stage Work Logs

Quote Originally Posted by killermiller View Post
    Those ccb's will die if you look at them wrong.

heatware: jinu117

Phenomns are not very good overclockers ... with the new price drops of the Intel Q series ... maybe you should give the Q6600 or Q6700 a shot. A Q6700 can be had for just over $200 now. The performance on a Vapochill will be dramatically better than any Phenomn. I would guess an easy 4Ghz for a Q6700 45nm. A Phenomn would probably have to go as high as 4.2Ghz for similar performance ... something I think is quite impossible.

I do find it strange that the Phenomn overclocks better with water cooling than Vapor. I am trying to figure out why but really cannot ... most likely the delta curve of the Vapochill is not enough to handle the heat load produced by the Phenomn and thus it cannot hold the sub zero temperature before you get the dreaded overload and quick rise in temperatures. I think you could try removing 30cm or 40cm from the cap tube first ... this should give you better capacity but not as low final temperatures. Otherwise simply buy another Vapochill condenser and add it to your original condensor thus increasing condensor capacity. This is the route I plan to take in trying to get better performance out of my Vapo LS ... ofcourse I might have to change the compressor to a more powerful unit ... but I doubt it. At the moment an Intel Q series processor can only get to around 4.3Ghz before it craps out on the Vapochilll after some time ... 4 ghz is pretty easy though on my system for 24/7 use.