Thread: Disabling Vista64 Driver Enforcement

I am Xtreme

Disabling Vista64 Driver Enforcement

just to let you know that i have driver enforcement disabled in vista64 permanently using VistaBoot Pro program....you can do it by just editing BCDedit.exe but that program makes it super easy!

NOW, here is the kicker...that was done without any window updates...as soon as i installed most of the available updates other than language packs, i lost the ability to disable driver enforcement other than through the F8 selection at boot time.

good thing, i saved my install without any updates so i can recall it anytime to start over again....SO...here is what i've done so far...i excluded these four dates from being downloaded from the get-go!

KB932596
    KB938979
    KB941649
    KB943078

---------------
    KB943899 (added to list as one to not install right from the get-go: Disk I/O)

then, i installed this solo update and it did not affect the disablement of driver enforcement: KB943302 ...this has to do with 3rd party software compatibility with vista64...big long list under that update like HDTach or HDTune.

i shutdown for the evening and this morning i installed this update which has to do with disk I/O operations...it was stated in the update that it was suppose to speed up file transfers by 15%...right!...anyway, this update put the ca-bash on permanent disabling of driver enforcement: KB943899

this AM i will recover my acronis true image file (can't use vista's program to resore the image...won't work with my areca raid card because of drive letter assignments).

i will restore the image and then download the one above update that works and then, i will do it one update at a time to find what works and what does not work.

i thought to let you guys know because i HATE this driver enforcement BS!!!...if the key buzz words for this driver enforcement was for safety/security of vista64 kernel then tell me why they did not do this in vista32...it really comes down to making more money off developers of software...software developers have to pay, at least, a $400 fee per year ("The Coolest" statement; developer of "CORETEMP") to keep their digital signature on the installed software.

i'll keep you posted with my progress.
    Last edited by Ace-a-Rue; 03-08-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 UNOFFICIAL THREAD

BIOSTAR TPOWER BOLT MOD FOR HEATPIPE AND HEATSINK

BIOSTAR TPOWER I45 BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

ABIT IP35 PRO HEATPIPE MOD

ABIT IP35 PRO BIOS FLASHING PROCEDURE

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

I am Xtreme

Update

still have driver enforcement disabled so far...i have been installing window updates one by one ....i found two updates that gave me JUST problems (had nothing to do with driver enforcement)...those two updates are these:

KB942763 (cumulative time zone update..gave me system_service_exception BSOD)
    KB930857 (has to do with error reporting..gave me BSOD for code being modified)

i uninstalled both of them..still had a few instances after uninstalling them but everything is now stabilized.

i think most of us, including myself, would install the updates in a block and then suffer whatever consequences without knowing the ramifications for each KB update...from now on, i have this list to know what ones work and what ones are a hindrance.

i installed a few of the "recommended" ones but i mostly concentrated on the "Important" ones, which were Security or hotfixes....only four more to go

i hope this helps anyone wanting to remove this annoying feature of vista64...i definitely won't be installing SP1!

IP35 Pro: 9650@4000Mhz, par overclocker; Freezone Elite; 4Gb GSkill DDR-800@DDR-1068 (2 x 2gb); XFX 8800 GTS; Areca 8X PCIe in Raid 0 working at 4x speed; 4-250 Gb (single platter) 7200.10 drives; Giga 3DAurora case with side window.

Xtreme Member
    Has anyone tried the latest Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider for Vista x64?

http://www.start64.com/index.php?opt...197&Itemid=104
    Asus P5Q Deluxe (P5QD1406) || Q9400 at 3.4GHz || 2x2GB Mushkin Redline PC2-8000 || HIS HD 4870 1GB w/ Scythe Musashi (silent) || 501GB Samsung HD || Zalman ZM850-HP || Antec P182 || Windows 7 x64 RTM

I am Xtreme
    i'll give it a try...sounds fairly involved, in a sense, you have do single typing entries for each driver file...ugh

i finally installed SP1 installed after i gave up on the this little project with keeping driver enforcement disabled on every boot...what i found happening to my install with no updates installed; i would lose the capability to get into the control panel folder (would try to open but did not)...i fell into this scenario after about a dozen boots, where everything worked as i wanted for those dozen or so boot ups. (during this problem with the control panel, driver enforcement was disabled)

after doing some research on regaining the control panel opening authority, i found a way to make the control panel folder open again by opening "services.msc" (through the "RUN" box on the Start menu)...after opening "services.msc", i would slide down to "Software Licensing" entry and click on 'restart' that service...doing that made the control panel work for that boot only...upon rebooting (restart), i would have to go through the same procedure again....so...it got old after a while correcting that particular problem on every boot up!
    Last edited by Ace-a-Rue; 04-28-2008 at 05:36 PM.

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by doakh View Post
    Has anyone tried the latest Driver Signature Enforcement Overrider for Vista x64?

http://www.start64.com/index.php?opt...197&Itemid=104
    tried it and it does not work with SP1 installed.