Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627 LastLast

Thread: MSI Overclocking Contest (any Belgian XS'ers in here?)

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by DeDaL View Post
    hipro how meny days you and gprhellas was prepearing ?
    Me for about 18 hours straight after my vacations.......gprhellas for about 1.5 week but not for such high fsb - he did up to ~590MHz fsb - I had to mod the mobo to stabilise it for higher fsb and lower temp than 110*C we had our cold bug.....After mods I could do -163*C and much higher fsb........
    Last edited by hipro5; 08-28-2008 at 06:32 AM.
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

KiSUS
    After mods your CPU's cold bug was stretched ?
    Last edited by DeDaL; 08-28-2008 at 06:48 AM.
    Lights, Music, Camera, Action !

Nice Hardware!!!
    Hipro - You have a certain advantage compared to rest of us knowing electronics so well

Those fsb numbers are huge. Our 600fsb Cinebench seems so weak now
    You are as good as your samples are!

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by hipro5 View Post
    Me for about 18 hours straight after my vacations.......gprhellas for about 1.5 week but not for such high fsb - he did up to ~590MHz fsb - I had to mod the mobo to stabilise it for higher fsb and lower temp than 110*C we had our cold bug.....After mods I could do -163*C and much higher fsb........
    wow what mods did you do for lower temps lol
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme X.I.P
    If i remember well , you said me that this mod works on all motherboards. Could you share this mod or are you going to sell as a module ?
    ***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

Xtreme Addict
    Somewhere on earth between Taipei, Paris and Montreal
    Quote Originally Posted by Pt1t View Post
    If i remember well , you said me that this mod works on all motherboards. Could you share this mod or are you going to sell as a module ?
    If so i want one !

If not just give us some "orientation" where to search and investigate !
    Overclocking-TV Staff
    Ha, ha, ha.....NO WAY.....When I show someone preparing to take a shot, I hided the cigarette....

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by DeDaL View Post
    After mods your CPU's cold bug was stretched ?
    Yes, from -110*C to -163*C.....

Quote Originally Posted by Trouffman View Post
    If so i want one !

If not just give us some "orientation" where to search and investigate !
    Try to "think" as the CPU "itshelf" whould think........

It's a Voltage on a unique leg of the CPU.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pt1t View Post
    Nope.....sorry.....
    ONLY ONE of you guys knows what's all about (as we had a conversation in Netherlands) and I hope "he" will not spread it around.....
    After all "he" wanted to learn more.....

Last edited by hipro5; 08-28-2008 at 07:38 AM.
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme Member
    Thank you for a great event guys. It was a pleasure to meet you all. I would also like to thank MSI for aranging such a amazing event like this. I hope we will se more of this kind of events in the future.

Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by aspstein View Post
    Hi again guys!

I really loved hanging out with all of you at the MSI event. You all rock big time!

But a have a few questions, do anyone have the OVP mod for the VGA? Or some other crazy mods? I would like to play a little bit more with this card...
    It is OCP actually that is limiting the Vgpu. I posted here how i fixed it.

Xtreme Enthusiast

I think everyone wants to learn more

Xtreme Addict
    So this isn't something like Tcore mod - I take it that the the cpu has the coldbug not the motherboard. I've often wondered about the internal thermometer is possibly the case so fooling it may be advantageous...

Aussie God
    Yes, from -110*C to -163*C.....

Try to "think" as the CPU "itshelf" whould think........

It's a Voltage on a unique leg of the CPU.....

Nope.....sorry.....
    ONLY ONE of you guys knows what's all about (as we had a conversation in Netherlands) and I hope "he" will not spread it around.....

Sounds a little fantastic George....
    - Not tryin' to be a bully... But with your statements on OPB, I'd say you should backup your saying on this matter by sharing... But hey, thats just my oppinion..

EDIT:
    Dont get me wrong...
    - I just think full sharring is the better...
    ... Just miss the true spirit, as you have shown previously, especially with the dothan socket mod!! (Still most amazing HW mod ever made IMO)
    Last edited by M.Beier; 08-28-2008 at 12:18 PM.
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    So this isn't something like Tcore mod - I take it that the the cpu has the coldbug not the motherboard. I've often wondered about the internal thermometer is possibly the case so fooling it may be advantageous...
    There's one pin on the C2D, THERMTRIP#, that deals with temperature issues, but that's for overheating. Basicly, when the cpu gets too hot, the technology shuts down the processor to preserve the quality of the silicon. If I'm not mistaken, first the clock frequency goes down, then the Vcc is shut down.

Here's what the Intel whitepaper says:

In the event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon has reached a temperature approximately 20 °C above the maximum TC. Assertion of THERMTRIP# (Thermal Trip) indicates the processor junction temperature has reached a level beyond where permanent silicon damage may occur. Upon assertion of THERMTRIP#, the processor will shut off its internal clocks (thus, halting program execution) in an attempt to reduce the processor junction temperature. To protect the processor, its core voltage (VCC) must be removed following the assertion of THERMTRIP#. Driving of the THERMTRIP# signal is enabled within 10 μs of the assertion of PWRGOOD (provided VTT and VCC are valid) and is disabled on deassertion of PWRGOOD (if VTT or VCC are not valid, THERMTRIP# may also be disabled). Once activated, THERMTRIP# remains latched until PWRGOOD, VTT, or VCC is de-asserted. While the deassertion of the PWRGOOD, VTT, or VCC will de-assert THERMTRIP#, if the processor’s junction temperature remains at or above the trip level, THERMTRIP# will again be asserted within 10 μs of the assertion of PWRGOOD (provided VTT and VCC are valid).

Is a too low temperature "a catastrophic cooling failure" as well?
    Last edited by massman; 08-28-2008 at 01:18 PM.
    Where courage, motivation and ignorance meet, a persistent idiot awakens.

Xtreme Addict
    I think we first need to understand what exactly a coldbug is before we diagnose it - I surmise that it's not so much the transistors as a protection mechanism that has been tripped by going to far in the wrong direction, as I understand it the DTS is a digital registry that goes up to a set value so I'm guessing it has a bottom range too, could this be the case - any thoughts?

Champion
    Not quite. If it was like this, the different values for different CPU's wouldn't be so different. There are E8400's, for instance, that have CB at -80 and E8400's that have CB at -145.
    Weissbier - breakfast of champions

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by Monstru View Post
    Not quite. If it was like this, the different values for different CPU's wouldn't be so different. There are E8400's, for instance, that have CB at -80 and E8400's that have CB at -145.
    If Intel did not set the bottom temperature limits that doesn't matter. It would just be random.

By the way: this overheating protection is set by Intel, right? Is it the same for all cpu's as well? Or are some shutting down at 95°C and some at 125°C?

Champion
    Well, at the latest IDF they declared the Tj Max for 45nm, and it looks like this:

Xtreme Addict
    This is the question Monstru what exactly IS a coldbug, we how the effect and we coined the phrase but what is actually happening, the cpu gets throttled then shutdowns - why?

Champion
    Well, that is the question all of us are thinking about, but....who can answer exactly (maybe hipro? )

In pure theory it would be the lowest limit where the silicone/connections in the CPU stop working. BUT....having in mind that cold bugs are very random, and having in mind that Dothans would go all the way down, and having in mind that old AMD's would CB very early, and finally having in mind what hipro said above about a voltage....I think it's not that

I am Xtreme
    Well, at the latest IDF they declared the Tj Max for 45nm, and it looks like this:

Have you actually tested that? .

And is this temperature fully controlled by the cpu or by the motherboard? On some motherboards you can change the temperature a bit (-10°C), will the cpu then be able to hit 110°C before it shuts down?

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by massman View Post
    There's one pin on the C2D, THERMTRIP#, that deals with temperature issues, but that's for overheating. Basicly, when the cpu gets too hot, the technology shuts down the processor to preserve the quality of the silicon. If I'm not mistaken, first the clock frequency goes down, then the Vcc is shut down.

Here's what the Intel whitepaper says:

In the event of a catastrophic cooling failure, the processor will automatically shut down when the silicon has reached a temperature approximately 20 °C above the maximum TC. Assertion of THERMTRIP# (Thermal Trip) indicates the processor junction temperature has reached a level beyond where permanent silicon damage may occur. Upon assertion of THERMTRIP#, the processor will shut off its internal clocks (thus, halting program execution) in an attempt to reduce the processor junction temperature. To protect the processor, its core voltage (VCC) must be removed following the assertion of THERMTRIP#. Driving of the THERMTRIP# signal is enabled within 10 μs of the assertion of PWRGOOD (provided VTT and VCC are valid) and is disabled on deassertion of PWRGOOD (if VTT or VCC are not valid, THERMTRIP# may also be disabled). Once activated, THERMTRIP# remains latched until PWRGOOD, VTT, or VCC is de-asserted. While the deassertion of the PWRGOOD, VTT, or VCC will de-assert THERMTRIP#, if the processor’s junction temperature remains at or above the trip level, THERMTRIP# will again be asserted within 10 μs of the assertion of PWRGOOD (provided VTT and VCC are valid).

Is a too low temperature "a catastrophic cooling failure" as well?
    we tried it before and it didn't change much
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

I am Xtreme
    What did you try exactly?

k|ngp|n/Sham my brothers
    Quote Originally Posted by M.Beier View Post
    Sounds a little fantastic George....
    - Not tryin' to be a bully... But with your statements on OPB, I'd say you should backup your saying on this matter by sharing... But hey, thats just my oppinion..

EDIT:
    Dont get me wrong...
    - I just think full sharring is the better...
    ... Just miss the true spirit, as you have shown previously, especially with the dothan socket mod!! (Still most amazing HW mod ever made IMO)

I don't want to start a conversation about this BUT since you have started here's my answer: It's not the same as with OBP......He cheats and I tweak......

Guys it's not the thelmal of the CPU or so....It's something else we ALL are familiar with.....
    INTEL PWA FOR EVER

Dr. Who my arss...

Xtreme X.I.P
    I don't want to start a conversation about this BUT since you have started here's my answer: It's not the same as with OBP......He cheats and I tweak......

Guys it's not the thelmal of the CPU or so....It's something else we ALL are familiar with.....
    Something else as ?
    ***** Visit us on PCWorld.fr *****

Xtreme Member
    I think that most of you guys here know what its about. But what i dont get is how he did it.

Hipro please just torture us for a limited period of time

Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 15222324252627 LastLast