Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Majestic 12 Milestones.

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    while our beloved friend Martijn is cheating j/k ( I have peeped into his setup and even takes a rig to the university to pump out the precious BW of a Dutch University) I am planning to get some horse power and see how he can handle that ( he will have to study another career so he can steal BW from that University also :P)
    It's going to be a lot easier for you I suppose, I am only running MJ12 at uni and on Sammy now. In the past week my download-queue has risen to 300GB

If only I could run a rig at uni 24/7... 10000/10000 is just
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    why not take a serious server there than :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana: err sammy.. a dual w3520 would not do that bad 10000/10000 is 10 Gbit pipe? I can get such infra (10 gbit) for something like 3.5 k u$..
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

Mr. Boardburner
    The University computers are E6850s, they aren't too bad. However, since I don't live at university it's impossible for me to set up a seedbox. Should I ever go and live there I'll still have a 100/100 pipe, but it's shared with the rest of the building. The problem is just that I don't have money left to go there.
    Main rig:

Xtreme Enthusiast

Time to toot my own horn

2,000,000,000 for me!

....however, I am having nightmares recently

Where's me Beer?
    congrats mate more than twice of what i have done, i should be ashamed

I've got more fire power coming soon, deciding between a IPCOP or an Untangled machine. IPCOP seems to use less resources, but Untangled has some neat features like monitoring which machine in my network is hogging my machine's bandwidth, so i can go and smack that person on the head

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by hixie View Post
    congrats mate more than twice of what i have done, i should be ashamed

I've got more fire power coming soon, deciding between a IPCOP or an Untangled machine. IPCOP seems to use less resources, but Untangled has some neat features like monitoring which machine in my network is hogging my machine's bandwidth, so i can go and smack that person on the head
    Thanks!

I thought about setting up an old machine as a linux router but I have no more spare parts laying around I'm thinking about getting one of those ultra min-pc's for ~$200. It's not very powerful but for internet routing purposes it's overkill(most retail home routers can't compare with only 16-128 megs of ram/4-32 megs of flash ram and maybe a 200-500 Mhz processor at most). I've read more than I'd like into the guts of routers and the most performance limiting factor seems to be the ram size and my router has 64mb A mini with a 1.6ghz CPU and a gig of ram would more than satisfy all my nodes

Where's me Beer?
    firmware is actually the limiting factor, processing power and ram plays a huge role in theory but most of it is locked away by the firmware. Modified firmware helps quite a bit.

In my experience with Smoothwall & IPCOP, an old Dell P3 that i got paid to take away was waaaayyyy more than i needed (Dimes and MJ-12)
    It was a P3 with 128MB RAM and i think a 20GB Quantum Fireball HDD

Back in the days i was running dimes, i had something like 30 clients smoothie didn't even break a sweat, on a normal router 15 clients would crash the router and 25 would crash the modem, had to install Smoothie and get my ISP to upgrade my modem.

EDIT: Just checked my old stats, i had 53 clients!
    Last edited by hixie; 02-03-2010 at 01:49 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    firmware is actually the limiting factor, processing power and ram plays a huge role in theory but most of it is locked away by the firmware. Modified firmware helps quite a bit.

In my experience with Smoothwall & IPCOP, an old Dell P3 that i got paid to take away was waaaayyyy more than i needed (Dimes and MJ-12)
    It was a P3 with 128MB RAM and i think a 20GB Quantum Fireball HDD

Back in the days i was running dimes, i had something like 30 clients smoothie didn't even break a sweat, on a normal router 15 clients would crash the router and 25 would crash the modem, had to install Smoothie and get my ISP to upgrade my modem.

EDIT: Just checked my old stats, i had 53 clients!
    Wow!! Thanks for the insights

I assume you know your way pretty well around setting up smoothwall/M0n0wall/pfsense/ipcop? Any suggestions on which is the better of the bunch? I'm very eager to setup my own router but I have almost no experience in linux(unless it's a gui-based installation).

Where's me Beer?
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyFire View Post
    Wow!! Thanks for the insights

I assume you know your way pretty well around setting up smoothwall/M0n0wall/pfsense/ipcop? Any suggestions on which is the better of the bunch? I'm very eager to setup my own router but I have almost no experience in linux(unless it's a gui-based installation).
    I'm not very good with linux but setting up a smoothie or ipcop is so simple even dave could figure it out without a manual. They have a simple 16bit colour GUI for installation, after everything is installed you can unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Accessing all router functions are just the same as a normal router via a browser with a nice GUI.

I've only used smoothie and IPCOP so i can't comment on the others but i do lean towards IPCOP a little bit more as i find it's easier to find add-ons, and it also has a 'blue zone' for wireless.

If you do setup an IPCOP box make sure you install and setup the advanced QoS add-on, this way normal web browsing won't be affected by MJ-12.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm not very good with linux but setting up a smoothie or ipcop is so simple even dave could figure it out without a manual. They have a simple 16bit colour GUI for installation, after everything is installed you can unplug the monitor, keyboard and mouse. Accessing all router functions are just the same as a normal router via a browser with a nice GUI.

I've only used smoothie and IPCOP so i can't comment on the others but i do lean towards IPCOP a little bit more as i find it's easier to find add-ons, and it also has a 'blue zone' for wireless.

If you do setup an IPCOP box make sure you install and setup the advanced QoS add-on, this way normal web browsing won't be affected by MJ-12.
    I did a little googling and it looks very easy like you said. I'm wondering how I can hookup the 3 pc's in my house plus my Vonage phone box up to share the line? Maybe turn my current router into a bridge? Or buy a switch?

I have 1 more question about the hardware part of the process; does the box you setup as the firewall require 2 NIC's? (I'm assuming 1 will be needed for the external WAN connection that will be connected at the wall and another that will connect from the firewall box to my computer/switch/bridged-router).

Xtreme Enthusiast
    This is weird, I am just putting together a pfsense box myself for all my routing needs as I am typing this

Trust me I'm no *nix expert but its so easy to setup, there are tons of tutorials out there to help you.

I ended up using my dual P3 box with 2GB of RAM, I brought a CF to IDE adaptor and am running a 2GB CF card for pfsense (modified embedded version - less read/writes to the CF card but with full VGA support)

It's just formatting the CF card as I type this, next up is to install the 2 Intel Pro100 server NIC's I bought for Ģ2 each brand new

I'll post up pics of when its all done.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarki View Post
    This is weird, I am just putting together a pfsense box myself for all my routing needs as I am typing this

Trust me I'm no *nix expert but its so easy to setup, there are tons of tutorials out there to help you.

I ended up using my dual P3 box with 2GB of RAM, I brought a CF to IDE adaptor and am running a 2GB CF card for pfsense (modified embedded version - less read/writes to the CF card but with full VGA support)

It's just formatting the CF card as I type this, next up is to install the 2 Intel Pro100 server NIC's I bought for Ģ2 each brand new

Nice!

Where's me Beer?
    I did a little googling and it looks very easy like you said. I'm wondering how I can hookup the 3 pc's in my house plus my Vonage phone box up to share the line? Maybe turn my current router into a bridge? Or buy a switch?

I have 1 more question about the hardware part of the process; does the box you setup as the firewall require 2 NIC's? (I'm assuming 1 will be needed for the external WAN connection that will be connected at the wall and another that will connect from the firewall box to my computer/switch/bridged-router).
    Yes you will need at least 2 NICs, one for WAN one for LAN. If you have 3-4 NICs then you could setup wireless and also a DMZ (Demilitarized Zone)

Get a good switch, at a minimum get an unmanaged switch. Don't buy a hub, they're pretty dumb and get relay the signals. Switches do some wizardry and witchcraft so it's faster with high loads.
    I don't know what's the difference but my cheap plastic brought from a shop hub didn't do very well, my more expensive SMC rackmount switch made a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarki View Post

2GB of RAM, i remember once running smoothie on 64MB RAM and i was still fine.

It is
    2,000,000,000 for me!

I thought you'd just drop by, but somehow you have shipped around 800 mill, since the cat dragged you in .....
    ~Opinion about Dogs~~~~~~~Hug~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post

I thought you'd just drop by, but somehow you have shipped around 800 mill, since the cat dragged you in .....
    Has it been 800mil already?? Time flies fast

Has it been 800mil already?? Time flies fast
    That it does.

Good to see you again Hixie also!

Im just crunching away to get to 700mill...
    < MB / CPU > Asus X99 Pro / Intel Core i7 5820K
    < MEM / GFX >Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 / EVGA GeForce GTX 780 Ti SC ACX
    < PSU / HSF > OCZ Z-Series 1000W / Phanteks 140PE
    < CASE / OS > Phanteks Enthoo Primo / Windows 7 Home Premium x64
    < STORAGE > Samsung 840 EVO 120GB - Samsung 840 250GB - 2 x Seagate Barracuda 3TB - Intel Intel X25-M 80GB

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Dave, for God's sake, slow down!!!

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Dave, for God's sake, slow down!!!
    Just saw that myself.. Nice way to start the day but really an overflow from yesterday when his upload server was down.
    10+mill in the first 6 hours of the day!
    I've learned to config the machines to cover my ass when this happens..

Good to see all the new and old faces..
    We got ourselves a real team going and I just looked and we are #1 for the day so far..
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Mr. Boardburner
    I only just found out MJ12 had crashed and failed to restart a few days ago... 15M down the drain
    Main rig:

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    Just saw that myself.. Nice way to start the day but really an overflow from yesterday when his upload server was down.
    10+mill in the first 6 hours of the day!
    I've learned to config the machines to cover my ass when this happens..

Good to see all the new and old faces..
    We got ourselves a real team going and I just looked and we are #1 for the day so far..
    I īve seen you save some buckets ( for the just if)... well done

off topic: is auto merge doable to be installed on XS MM?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Martijn View Post
    I only just found out MJ12 had crashed and failed to restart a few days ago... 15M down the drain
    No sh I realised you were not making any points . I was gonna ask if someone got news about ya pal

Mr. Boardburner
    Quote Originally Posted by Duh View Post
    No sh I realised you were not making any points . I was gonna ask if someone got news about ya pal
    I'm fine, it's just been extremely busy the last few months. Sadly it doesn't look like it's going to change any time soon
    Main rig:

Xtreme Enthusiast
    100 terabytes crawled for me on to the next 100!

Xtreme Legend
    Grats man ...that is one big number! I won't ever catch you with this connection but I will reach that eventually...thankfully there are some smaller targets in the meantime

My Biggest Fear Is When I die, My Wife Sells All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Paid For It.
    79 SB threads and 32 IB Threads across 4 rigs 111 threads Crunching!!

Xtreme Cruncher
    100 terabytes crawled for me on to the next 100!
    way to go! congrats. as someone posted google's db is 100 pb , so keep crawling

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast