Thread: need help with XP...

Xtreme Member

need help with XP...

I am trying to troubleshoot my dads PC from 800 miles away. It is normally an open and closed case...but not tonight. He ran Spybot S&D and found 360+ spywarez and he ran avast and found 69 viruses

Here is the problem. Via DOS, he can ping any server in the world. IE and e-mail cannot connect to the internet. He gets the following Errors: 10013 and 12039.

Does anyone know a fix for this? he can't find his XP install disk either...any help would be appreciated.

I searched the net and found what they mean...but couldn't find a fix that didn't require downloading something

thanks in advance.
    When Lightning strikes...The Heartbeat stops...

I am Xtreme
    I would wait to get other opinions since I'm not sure about this, but I don't think it would do any harm.

You dad could edit the hosts file and delete the contents then save the file. To be safe, he could type in the default content - See wikipedia entry for location and default content

But with that many infections, his system is almost certainly corrupted beyond repair. However he should be able with just doing a delete and reinstall of windows (as opposed to reformating). This will rewrite the MBR and overwrite any corrupted windows files. He'll still have to run malware removal software since there is probably still cr@p hidden all over the drive, but at least windows will be clean and he won't lose his files - the old my documents folder will be under a renamed 'documents and settings' subfolder.

Xtreme Member
    try getting into safemode and see if he can get online, tcp/ip is probably corrupted due to all the spyware/viruses, if he can get online download WinSockXP to try to reset all his tcp/ip keys. I would also say use Firefox if he has it and see if that works, maybe just IE is caked with spyware, could be alot of different issues and alot of different fixes/work arounds.
    Last edited by Th3MadScientist; 04-25-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Xtreme Member
    damnit...why didn't I think of trying safe mode.....

I will mention that tomorrow when he calls and see where we can get with it. The fresh install of the OS is the last resort...since he can't find the disk. But I will definately see what I can do based on the recommendations here. Thanks a bunch guys...and if anyone else has any ideas...post 'em up!

Xtreme Member
    you can also try System Restore, but its kind of flaky but its worth a try. If he has another computer and a flash drive I can give you a arsenal of tools in which he can download and you can use to try to spring some life into XP. Make sure you go into Safe Mode With Networking or else you wont be able to get online.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Th3MadScientist View Post
    you can also try System Restore, but its kind of flaky but its worth a try. If he has another computer and a flash drive I can give you a arsenal of tools in which he can download and you can use to try to spring some life into XP. Make sure you go into Safe Mode With Networking or else you wont be able to get online.
    yea, I mentioned flash drive and he asked me "wtf is that?" he is 69 yrs old...so, a computer in itself amazes him...let alone remote assistance, flash drives, etc. Although, if your "arsenal" can help XP out in general...post 'em up or PM them to me..I run XP Pro on two of my systems...one is a C2D 9300 (2.5G/6m L2) and the other is a pentium M @ 1.6 (old, I know...but it still runs)

Xtreme Member
    I use these programs myself and i run all of these for clients that come to me with problems that your dad is having. Some are freeware/trials, some you need to pay for but can be freeware depending upon where you look.

Internet TCP/IP Issues
    WinsockXPFix - This program will fix your internet. If it doesnt fix it, either there is a hardware issue, a firewall is blocking you or you have turned off TCP/IP

Anti-Virus
    AVG Anti-Virus
    Kaspersky Internet Security Suite (Trial)

Anti-Spyware
    Ewido Anti-Spyware
    Spyware Doctor(Trial)
    Spysweeper(Full)
    ThreatFire(Trial)
    VundoFix - For Vundo Spyware (only known program to remove Vundo)

Registry
    CCleaner
    Hijack This - Excellent Program to get rid of rogue processes
    Registry Mechanic(Trial)
    TuneUp Utilities 2008(Full)

Most non-savy computer users will default to using Norton or McAfee which are really resource intensive and I highly recommend not using them. If your dad uses any mainstream AV software, make sure it is up to date, Norton especially will block complete internet access if it is not updated.

I personally use TuneUp Utilities and it is a great piece of software for PC maintenance and they also give you a feature such as Window Blinds where you can download premade Desktop themes and apply them which is really sweet.
    Last edited by Th3MadScientist; 04-25-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Xtreme Member
    yea, he used to use McAfee AV...got him to switch to Avast. (my AV of choice), and spybot S&D. The rest of the stuff you posted I have tried or at least heard of. I really appreciate your help on this. I will be hearing from him tomorrow, so I will mention some things to him and see if I can't get him back and running

Thanks again!

Xtreme Member
    The only thing i have read lately is the the free spyware apps arent as good as they used to be and don't do a good job of detecting spyware. Have you ever herd of an app called Sandboxie? Sandboxie is all you need for the internet.

Da Goose
    Un-install IE7...Access internet with IE6....Then reload IE7

i7-860 Farm with nVidia GPU's

Xtreme Member
    Ok...can access his computer via remote assistance as long as he runs in safe mode w/ network support. Can also access the web, etc.

Unistalled and then re-installed IE7. also installed mozilla firefox. In normal mode, neither browser works. Ran spybot/avast again..nothing came up.

Any other ideas guys? I'd hate for him to have to format since he has no way of backing it up. any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Th3MadScientist View Post
    The only thing i have read lately is the the free spyware apps arent as good as they used to be and don't do a good job of detecting spyware. Have you ever herd of an app called Sandboxie? Sandboxie is all you need for the internet.
    No, I haven't, does it work with vista?

Xtreme Member
    go into safemode into msconfig and disable all the startup items and dont forget to run WinSockXP
    iRAQ - Apple's upcoming server racks