Thread: lil' help with excel spreadsheet?

Xtreme Member

lil' help with excel spreadsheet?

Hoi, this is in the wrong forum, but it's more likely to get answered here than in the relevant forum.
    ANYWAY
    I've got my assignment in for uni tomorrow, and i'm just stuck on 1 little bit.
    Basically i've got this car rental company, we've got 10 cars, and everyone a person rents out a car, we make note of the car they take, how many miles they take and charge them accordingly..

Now basically, I just want to find out how much money each car has generated.. (if that makes much sense?)

I've thought of using a =dsum()

Basically, here's a little screenshot of it,

Now, lets say I want to add up all the money that "Car Reference Number" "1" has made, how would i do it?

So far I've tried using a =dsum( and then adding the "Total Charge" together, BUT some how I can't make it just add up only where "1" is?
    something like, =dsum(b3:j174,"Total Charge",1) and everything else, I've spent the last like hour looking for an answer, can't find
    If that make sense.
    Oh and I'm not asking for the answer! Maybe just some guidance to find the answer. Oh and ignore how ugly the spreadsheet actually is, that's hpw the university issued it.. and we're not allowed to changed it -.-

Cheers
    Last.fm?
    A lesson lived is a lesson learned.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You need to replace the '1' in =dsum(b3:j174,"Total Charge",1) with something like A1:A2 where cell A1 holds the exact text of "Car Reference Number" (copy it from the field heading, and A2 holds the number 1.

Xtreme Member
    Hi,
    but then wouldn't i need a criteria table for EACH car?
    Last.fm?
    A lesson lived is a lesson learned.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    where is the screenshot?
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie View Post
    honestly there are some really stupid people here. I mean stupid as in low IQ and fantastic imaginations with little deductive reasoning.