Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Raid 0 Hardware :banana::banana::banana::banana: :)

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye View Post
    Nice find there !
    Checking on that now to see if that would be a improvement.

Update:
    The 1680 has been tested and it actually has same write speed but lower read speed. It is actually geared more for SAS.

How can the 1231 be OC'd as it is the current speed champ as far as I have been told.
    <looks for a phase cooler setup for the 1231 and OC tools>
    Have they tested with the newest firmware? 1.45 I believe. It made a BIG performance difference. It was only available as of 4/29/08 and likely wasn't considered in DVNation's original try with those, given your conversation with them on that controller took place on the 5th of May or before (implying their experiments happened in April or before).

http://www.areca.com.tw/products/pci...erformance.htm
    http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=us

Performance boost talked about in 2CPU as well.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-01-2008 at 12:02 AM.

Administrator
    hmm... good question Speeder. I will pass those links over to them and see what they say.

Thanks !

Xtreme Mentor
    hmm... good question Speeder. I will pass those links over to them and see what they say.

Thanks !
    Post back any response because I am about to get one.

Administrator
    I saw you left me a PM Speeder but I have been unable to even see them because of an data base error.

But I think your question was if I had heard anything back, and saddly no I have not.

Xtreme Member
    Are you a millionaire or something? You gotta be to spend 10k on storage

Xtreme Mentor
    I saw you left me a PM Speeder but I have been unable to even see them because of an data base error.

But I think your question was if I had heard anything back, and saddly no I have not.
    Actually I was going to ask you how the RAID 0 array "felt" in daily use. Is it a vast improvement or is the improvement limited to a few specific tasks?

I'm trying to decide on 2+ SSD drives in RAID 0 or one drive for OS + apps and leave it at that. The cost difference between the two is, obviously, very large. So is the improvement worth the extra $1600 it would cost for a controller plus the second drive? That $1600 can go to a lot of other hardware if it isn't going to this. Additionally, I could save even more and funnel that money if I went velociraptor for OS + apps. But I am willing to spend the money if the benefit is really that vast. I'm not yet convinced it is.
    Last edited by Speederlander; 06-01-2008 at 06:07 PM.

Xtreme Member
    wait...so out of the 1231, 1280, and adaptec 5805, which one is best?
    correct me if I'm wrong...

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazinTiger View Post
    wait...so out of the 1231, 1280, and adaptec 5805, which one is best?
    adaptec is pretty universally not liked among the server people I have seen commenting on controllers in several forums.

Xtreme Member
    so areca's are the "best" so to say

Xtreme Mentor
    so areca's are the "best" so to say
    They come pretty universally recommended. Go to the 2CPU forums and ask around.

Xtreme Member
    ok so then it comes down to 1280 vs. 1231 vs. 1681
    im too lazy to read the 4 pages of this thread, but which ones "the best"

Xtreme Mentor
    Alright, screw it. I'm not getting SSD for now.

Going:
    Areca ARC-1680ix-16 16-Port w/2 gig of cache and 5x Velociraptors, 4 in an expandable RAID 5 and 1 for OS + apps + VMs (which will sit in a superspeed RAMdrive anyway).
    If I go SSD then I can move the 5th raptor to the RAID 5 array and add the SSDs either singly or in RAID 0 format. This should make for a very snappy RAID 5 array and 16 ports on the areca can hold up to 128 drives with SAS expanders.

Xtreme Mentor
    ok so then it comes down to 1280 vs. 1231 vs. 1681
    im too lazy to read the 4 pages of this thread, but which ones "the best"
    1681 is unproven but the new firmware apparently offers a vast speed improvement. The 1200MHz clock speed in theory overcomes the approximately 800 MB/s ceiling on the RAID array throughput if you have enough drives. If you don't plan on going that many drives I say get whatever makes sense for you that's reasonably inexpensive (such as higher end controllers can be). Just make sure it makes sense for you.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Speederlander View Post
    Actually I was going to ask you how the RAID 0 array "felt" in daily use. Is it a vast improvement or is the improvement limited to a few specific tasks?

I'm trying to decide on 2+ SSD drives in RAID 0 or one drive for OS + apps and leave it at that. The cost difference between the two is, obviously, very large. So is the improvement worth the extra $1600 it would cost for a controller plus the second drive? That $1600 can go to a lot of other hardware if it isn't going to this. Additionally, I could save even more and funnel that money if I went velociraptor for OS + apps. But I am willing to spend the money if the benefit is really that vast. I'm not yet convinced it is.
    Well I can say this... it is freaking fast ! This is the one area that will take a machine that has a great OC on it, and make it like 100x's better. I notice it a great deal.

Mine is a rather large SSD Raid and I can fit a huge amount of stuff on it. But if you a large amount of Photoshop or video work it would rock your world. It is pretty unbelievable.

In gaming zones load extremely fast.

I believe that DVnation has a 20% discount on the MTRON PROs going on now. I like these because they are classed as server usage and have a 5 year warranty. That was very important to me as I was concerned about wear leveling, I am not now.

There are other brands coming out there that might be pretty good. Be sure to research them before buying.

The benefit is really that vast as the .1 access time is huge, that and the bandwidth you get from a Raid 0. I am very impressed with this Raid, but it came at a steep cost. Raptors are great and you can get some pretty good speeds out of them in a nice Raid and for the price of them you can’t go wrong either.

I am so lookig forward to getting a nice Phase Cooling setup for this rig to make this baby fly. That and a nice LN2 benching run would be great fun

Administrator
    Here is my PCMark05 screen of my setup. No OC yet, so everything is still stock.

I need to get PCMark05 Vantage, dang thought I had it.

I think my HDD stats can be improved also. With XP they seem to get much higher results, stupid Vista

Xtreme Addict
    Vista should score better as it was supposed to be SSD aware.
    I guess it does nothing with this awareness. :P

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by m^2 View Post
    Vista should score better as it was supposed to be SSD aware.
    I guess it does nothing with this awareness. :P
    I think you might be right, but also it's the benching program. I have not found 1 program that will match up to any other's stats wise when using this Raid for testing.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Talonman View Post
    I love the rig Buckeye...

It's just so Xtreme...
    +1 !

Its so very...XS
    Loonym...You are missed.

The element of one

Breathe me in
    Breathe me in

I disbelieve in separation. I close my eyes to see you.
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    I, I disbelieve separation. I close my eyes
    there's no escaping me
    This is for you, everything I am. This is for you, take it from me.
    In your heart in your soul. I perceive rejuvenation

Breathe me in. I am forever. Deep within I am eternal.

I will return to you. I am with you always. I will never turn away from you.

Xtreme Member
    Hi

I have seriously considering getting 2 x 32GB Mitron Mobi's which have 100mb/s read rate and raid-0 them to get a 64GB OS drive which is fast and dead silent for my quiet PC.

Can those that have these drives tell me ... how much different does it feel compared to a standard desktop drive ? How quickly does Windows load ? How responsive is the system ? When you launch apps, is it faster than when launching from HDD ?

is there a comparison of SSD vs 7200rpm drive vs 10.000 rpm drive in terms of seconds etc ...?

I just dont want to wasted $900 if I can get away with getting maybe 2 x WD6400AAKS for fraction of that cost ...

cheers!!!!
    i7 920, EX58-UD5, 6GB Corsair 1600Mhz, 8344ELP + 4x146GB SAS, 2x640GB, 27" DELL, 4870, P182 liquid cooled, Antec Quattro 1kW, X-Fi Prelude + Z5500, Razer Mamba, G15

Administrator
    Here is 32GB MTRON MOBI vs Raptor.

That said if you are talking about getting 3 and using Raid 0 your bandwidth should be around ~280-300mb/s.

http://www.dvnation.com/benchmark-6.html

What really does it with SSD's imo is the access times, at 0.1 things really spring into action fast. Writes could be faster but again imo the access times more than make up for it.

Your Motherboard Raid setup should be fine with using 3.

Xtreme Member
    Here is 32GB MTRON MOBI vs Raptor.
    thats a veeeeeery old raptor ... it should be compared to the 300GB Vraptor which is on par with SSDs with STR....

of course, access time is the secret ... I still would like to get answers to my questions though before I fork out all this cash ....
    i7 920, EX58-UD5, 6GB Corsair 1600Mhz, 8344ELP + 4x146GB SAS, 2x640GB, 27" DELL, 4870, P182 liquid cooled, Antec Quattro 1kW, X-Fi Prelude + Z5500, Razer Mamba, G15

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, I don't know whats up with hdtune; it gives me crappier results as well. For example, on my 12x1TB in raid5 ARC-1231ML on hdtach I get:

Hd tune only supports 2 GB and always gave me spikes somewhere:

My actual file-system tests give me similar results to hdtune (without the spikes) but since I am reading/writting from a file-system it does add some overhead:

Write speeds:

sabayonx86-64 data # dd bs=2M count=10000 if=/dev/zero of=./20gb.bin
    10000+0 records in
    10000+0 records out
    20971520000 bytes (21 GB) copied, 31.7737 s, 660 MB/s

Read speed:

sabayonx86-64 data # dd bs=2M count=10000 if=./20gb.bin of=/dev/null
    10000+0 records in
    10000+0 records out
    20971520000 bytes (21 GB) copied, 26.809 s, 782 MB/s

Xtreme Member

Just read whole thread.... nuff said.
    DFI Lanparty X48 T2r (Swiftech GTZ)
    Intel Q9450 (DD MPC)
    4 x 2GB OCZ DDR2 1000
    ATI Radeon 4870 512mb (EK-4870FC)
    2x 500gb SATAII RAID 0
    2x 200gb SATA RAID 1 (Back ups)
    2x 160gb SATA RAID 1 (Back ups)
    Creative X-fi Fatal1ty (Overglorified software sound in Vista...was great with XP )
    Don't Forget - The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Administrator

Working on busting the 1GB/s barrier. In fact going for 3-4GB/s but I need more SSD's also for that, plus some new equipment.

Xtreme Addict

Working on busting the 1GB/s barrier. In fact going for 3-4GB/s but I need more SSD's also for that, plus some new equipment.
    *Push it to the Limit song plays*

You can do it!
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast