Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: **Unified** DFI LanParty UT 790FX-M2R-M2RS / Phenom /Data Base Thread**

the jedi master
    it may just be my boards here, but 2 are doing exact the same. I set 1.67V on the 4-16 and I get 1.8V at the dimm slot, i tested with 4-25 and 1.8V gets me 1.89 so its still not working as it should be...i shot a video to show Jimmy so we wait to see what he says.

4-25 is a good clocker though and is worth a shot if you want to play
    Last edited by Tony; 04-26-2008 at 04:16 PM.
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammsteiner View Post
    No clue what steppings those high clocking Phenoms have. They were posted a few times but there are like a lot of HUGE Phenom threads now, no clue where to look.
    Also, what Drive Strengths did you use to achieve such high DDR speeds? Did you have CS/ODT Pin Fine Delay on or off?
    I used Normal Mode and left all the strength settings at default. The SPD of my mem says it should be 1x for all stregths but that did not post.
    I had CS/ODT Pin Fine Delay On i'm unsure about Bank Swizzle mode.
    I had used 2.3V for the mem and also used 75ns tRFC.
    I tried to install debian 64bit today at 2.8GHz/1.325V and it froze at those settings. Our cpu's seem to be very identical in behaviour.
    Quote Originally Posted by KTE View Post
    Thanks Achim.

As I expected, that's still the same situation as earlier DFI BIOSes, they need to sort it out because some load temps here are actually in the 70s at least - the temps are reading lower than the CPU registers are showing, by a few degrees at minimum. The diode [CPU in EVEREST] will always be lower than Core temps, if not, BIOS has a problem with giving incorrect temps. In your case, they're adding negative offsets to read lower than actual temp values, which is misleading for all and mainly for the temp controlled HSF.

I've not had a problem with Sandra in anything yet, many different builds now. Just finished the total benchmark suite with 4450e including Java. Probably a DFI thing.

Yea, you need to find fully stable settings first. Sandra will crash if it detcts instability very quickly, it has done for me for a while now.
    Then you can maybe try disabling SMBus/DMI and other unnecessary options access in Hardware>Processors>Options and check if it makes a difference [should do] whenever you want, enough to retrieve Tctl values.
    The bios allows an offset for the cpu sensor in the range -8°C - +8°C. I use Auto (means no offset is used). The sensor reads ~5°C lower temps in idle and up to ~8°C higher temps under load. Everest display the sensors labeld correct if i use an DFI bios with an Sapphire bios it show's cpu temp as aux and PWM temp as cpu. I tried the 9850e in the M3A with the same cooler and get similar readings there +-1°-2°C. After a few trials with TIM I got the temps down about 5°C so all my testings run below 60°C cpu.
    Last time i tried that java benchmark in sandra i got an "out off memory" error, I used the jre coming with oo-2.3.1 also tried the latest sun jdk with the same result.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    I will wait for the Next Beta Candidate myself as I take Tony's work on it when he says that its not as good as 4/15 4/16 Beta
    Yeah, for you this is a wise decision. I had no memory timing and voltage problems so i had to try it out. With my up to 2.2V rated mem i get very good readings now. It seems to be a different thing with 2GB modules rated for lower voltages.
    All the freezes i get now do not seem to be related to the 425 bios. It was just a cooincidence. I had not done wise testings at 2.9GHz before. That 2.8GHz setting however was rock solid while i used the sapphire 415 bios so the next thing i will try is this bios again.
    Thank you for the awardflash switches you posted in the official thread. They are all required to switch between dfi and sapphire.
    Last edited by justapost; 04-26-2008 at 04:29 PM.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Achim, Is that you in the Avatar?
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    It's howie, the jerk from the "FALL GUY". You remember?
    Last edited by justapost; 04-26-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    it may just be my boards here, but 2 are doing exact the same. I set 1.67V on the 4-16 and I get 1.8V at the dimm slot, i tested with 4-25 and 1.8V gets me 1.89 so its still not working as it should be...i shot a video to show Jimmy so we wait to see what he says.

4-25 is a good clocker though and is worth a shot if you want to play
    I've got 4-25 in now and it destablized like I've not seen before. Apps are now crashing which I think is a voltage issue. The problem I'm seeing with setting the VID is that what I set is not what I get. 1.28 In bios and I'm seeing 1.248 in CPUz and 1.3 in AOD. I think 1.25 is what it is running based on the temperature.
    Main Win64; Phen940BE, Sunbeam Cooled, DFI LP790FX-M2R, 2x2G Corsair, R3850XT
    Production XP; Athlon 6KBE, GByte POS mobo, 2x2G Gskill 800, R3750XT.

Vista 64 Test; GP9500, ECS740M, 2x2G GSkill, IGP.
    Server; 4 X 8347 Opterons, 8x1G Kingston.
    XP Home Test; A5000BE X2, ECS RS485M, 2x1G Wintec, IGP.
    S&Gs Test; A5000BE X2, ECS A770M-A, A5800 X2, ECS KA3-MVP-580X, 2x1G ?

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Like I said I am not dedicating anymore testing and time until they get this Voltage table on these Bios sorted out with it constantly overvolting
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    I flashed the Sapphire 415 bios and i'm still having the freezing issues at 2.9GHz. So i decided to play with ref HT.

CPU: 12.5x225 = 2812.5MHz at 1.3625V
    NB: 10x225 = 2250MHz at 1.3375V
    MEM: 533*225/200 = ~600MHz at 2.12V

Code:
    >HT Link Control:

HT Link Width......................... - 16 bit
    HT Frequency.......................... - 1.8GHZ MHz
    IH Flow Control Mode.................. - Disabled
    HT Link Tristate...................... - Disabled
    2x LCLK Mode.......................... - Disabled
    Unit Id Clumping...................... - Disabled

>CPU Feature:

CPU DID.............................. - NA
    CPU FID.............................. - NA
    CPU-NB DID........................... - 1
    CPU-NB FID........................... - 06
    AMD CPU stepping..................... - P0

>DRAM Configuration:

MCT Memory Timing.................... - Manual
    2T Mode.............................. - Auto
    Cas Latency Time..................... - 5
    Pre Charge Delay (tRAS).............. - 24
    DRAM RAS# Precharge.................. - 7
    DRAN RAS# to CAS# Delay.............. - 7
    Bank to Bank Cmd (TRRD).............. - Auto
    TRC.................................. - 31T
    TRTP................................. - Auto
    Write Recovery (TWR)................. - Auto
    Write-Read Command (TWTR)............ - Auto
    TRFC0................................ - 105ns
    TRFC1................................ - 105ns
    TRFC2................................ - 105ns
    TRFC3................................ - 105ns
    Trdrd................................ - Auto
    TrwtT0............................... - Auto
    Twrrd................................ - Auto
    Twrwr................................ - Auto
    CS/ODT Pin Fine Delay................ - Enabled
    Bank Swizzle Mode.................... - Enabled
    Auto Tweak Performance............... - Enabled
    Optimal Performance Mode............. - Enabled

>ODC Control Mode:

DRAM Drivers Weak Mode.............. - Normal
    Output Drivers Comp................. - Normal
    >Channel A:
    CPU On-die Termination.............. - 300 ohms +/- 20%
    DQS Drive Strength.................. - 1.00x
    Data Drive Strength................. - 1.00x
    MEMCLK Drive Strength............... - 1.00x
    Addr/Cmd Drive Strength............. - 1.50x
    CS/ODT Drive Strength............... - 1.50x
    CKE Drive Strenght.................. - 1.50x
    >Channel B:
    CPU On-die Termination.............. - 300 ohms +/- 20%
    DQS Drive Strength.................. - 1.00x
    Data Drive Strength................. - 1.00x
    MEMCLK Drive Strength............... - 1.00x
    Addr/Cmd Drive Strength............. - 1.50x
    CS/ODT Drive Strength............... - 1.50x
    CKE Drive Strenght.................. - 1.50x

>PWM Settings:

PWM Control.......................... - Enabled
    CPU VID Control...................... - 1.36250v
    CPU Vid Special Add.................. - Auto
    CPU NB Vlotage Control............... - 1.33750v
    CPU NB Vid Special Add............... - Auto
    DRAM Voltage Control................. - 2.12v
    SB PLL 1.2V Voltage.................. - 1.20v
    NB Core Voltage...................... - 1.250v
    NB PCI-E Voltage..................... - 1.120v
    NB HT Voltage........................ - 1.270v

Genie BIOS Settings:

Timing Mode.......................... - Manual
    Memory Clock value or Limit.......... - DDR 1066
    PCIE 3,4 State....................... - Auto
    PCIE 2 State......................... - x2
    CPU TLB Cache Fix.................... - Disabled
    AMD K8 Cool & Quiet control.......... - Disabled
    CPU Clock Ratio...................... - Auto
    Spread Spectrum...................... - Disabled
    CPU Host/HTT Clock................... - 225mhz
    CPU Host/HTT Boot Up Clock........... - 225mhz
    CPU Host/HTT Adjustment Gap.......... - 5mhz
    PCIE Clock........................... - 100mhz
    EDIT: Settings reflect my current stable setup and i'll modify it if it turns out unstable.
    Last edited by justapost; 04-27-2008 at 11:36 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    w00t,

240Mhz HTT is pretty much stable. I ran Prime95 for 14 hours and 30 minutes. 2.76Ghz CPU, 2.4Ghz NB, 2.16Ghz HT and DDR960.

Now testing timings since my CPU REALLY has an 'anywhere near or over 2.8Ghz fobia'. Which sucks, but nothing to do about.

Been testing with timings and subtimings. Although some subtiming makes one core crash (1st time it was 3rd, 2nd time it was 2nd). But with just 4-4-4 and TWR (or however it's called) at 4 forced trough BIOS it seem stable thus far.

Still I stand my point, I would have prefered higher CPU clocks though. I think it's still strange 2.76Ghz is stable and at any Vcore around 2.8Ghz and over is a no go.

Justapost has more or less same problem, looks like we indeed got a crap stepping.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    -Intel Core i7 920 3841A522
    --CPU: 4200Mhz| Vcore: +120mV| Uncore: 3200Mhz| VTT: +100mV| Turbo: On| HT: Off
    ---CPU block: EK Supreme Acetal| Radiator: TCF X-Changer 480mm
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    --Blck: 200Mhz| QPI: 3600Mhz
    Graphics:
    -Sapphire Radeon HD 4870X2
    --GPU: 750Mhz| GDDR: 900Mhz
    RAM:
    -3x 2GB Mushkin XP3-12800
    --Mhz: 800Mhz| Vdimm: 1.65V| Timings: 7-8-7-20-1T
    Storage:
    -3Ware 9650SE-2LP RAID controller
    --2x Western Digital 74GB Raptor RAID 0
    PSU:
    -Enermax Revolution 85+ 1250W
    -Windows Vista Business x64

ORDERED: Sapphire HD 5970 OC
    LOOKING FOR: 2x G.Skill Falcon II 128GB SSD, Windows 7

Xtreme Addict
    And oh yes, Im wondering... How do we check whether Vnb is actually being applied or not? There's no way, AFAIK, to check Vnb so Ive been wondering. ATM I use Special Add option to be sure.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Addict
    Lol, thank you for the update rammsteiner. It made me realize that im on 2250MHz HT speed atm.
    Still trying to install 64bit debian here. It worked once with above settings but froze on the second try. Trying to stabilize it with higher CPU and NB VID's atm.
    In 1066mode 225 seems to be the stable limit here. 227 boots but freezes soon.
    I use relaxed timings and try to find the lowest voltage for the mem at this frequency. With the 3-07 bios i got 4-5-5-15 timings up to ~580MHz at 2.3V during first tests.

Xtreme Addict
    Nice!

I think using 4 DIMM's is ruining some RAM clocking for me at this point. Although I dont mind, Im very close to settings I used on X2.

Some timings applied via Memset make the system BSOD while I can boot up fine if it's done by BIOS. And some BIOS timings aren't being applied in real.

My NB seems to be clocking fine then, I just dont get the poor CPU results really. How much I'd love to understand, I just dont. I can imagine too many Volts, too high temps or the wall of a stepping (like ~3.5~3.6Ghz on F3 Windsor) would stop a CPU clocking more at a certain point. But we all know and see people hitting nice clocks with B3 Agena, so there's no wall. But Voltage scaling is just... not there. I only added a little bit of Vcore to make sure tighter RAM settings wouldnt make the CPU crap over.

Im actually starting to wonder if it's possible that with a certain batch a bug occures between BIOS and CPU? Like Vcore isnt being applied. On the otherhand I think it is since temps rise with more Vcore.

[EDIT]
    http://en.expreview.com/2008/04/24/t...helf-tomorrow/
    I demand DFI releases this for AMD! And switch mounting holes for the heatsink so RAM coolers actually can be used without interfering with the TRUE.
    Last edited by Rammsteiner; 04-27-2008 at 08:05 AM.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justapost View Post
    Lol, thank you for the update rammsteiner. It made me realize that im on 2250MHz HT speed atm.
    Still trying to install 64bit debian here. It worked once with above settings but froze on the second try. Trying to stabilize it with higher CPU and NB VID's atm.
    In 1066mode 225 seems to be the stable limit here. 227 boots but freezes soon.
    I use relaxed timings and try to find the lowest voltage for the mem at this frequency. With the 3-07 bios i got 4-5-5-15 timings up to ~580MHz at 2.3V during first tests.

Achim......I hope you are not experiencing the corrupted Bios Phenomenon that I had a couple of months ago. Sure sounds like it though! If thats the caase then what was stable proven settings for many hours Prime or otherwise would fail within minutes and no longer be stable. If you are experiencing that let Me Know and I will re give the very long winded procedure thats involved in sorting it out. Let me know if I can help
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Addict
    Overall this memory tweaking does not have an big impact on performance but it's fun to play with. In opposite to X2 I recognized Max Async Latency has an big impact on performance. It's value gets optimized with some pattern testings during startup. I recommend you relax MAL if you play with other subtimings.

Debian installed fine here with 1.3625V CPU-VID and 1.3325V NB-VID. I tried to run the phoronix-test-suite and the system froze during a compilation test (build-imagemagick). So I lowered the ref HT to 215MHz to see if it's stable here.

Xtreme Addict
    Achim......I hope you are not experiencing the corrupted Bios Phenomenon that I had a couple of months ago. Sure sounds like it though! If thats the caase then what was stable proven settings for many hours Prime or otherwise would fail within minutes and no longer be stable. If you are experiencing that let Me Know and I will re give the very long winded procedure thats involved in sorting it out. Let me know if I can help
    Thank you for the offer Brother Esau,

I verified my 2.8GHz/2.2GHz setup with the lowest voltages i found 1.3125V/1.25V. It primed fine for ~5hrs. But it froze during wise testing. I did not test normal application usage very often during my lowest voltage trials so i think i just discovered that problem now.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Can I call you Howie? JK.....why don't you put you're Mugshot up instead? That is unless you are on the back of a Milk Carton somewhere (Have You Seen This Man)
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Addict
    Well, I miss MAL options in both BIOS and Memtest. There's Maximum Read Latency at 54 or so. It freezes at 50~51. But indeed this setting has a big impact, and MAL had a huge impact on X2. That's why I ran RAM 1:1 to get tighter MAL. With a devider I could only get 6~7, with 1:1 4ns was the best I could.

Ill try upping multi from 11.5 to 12 for CPU sometime and check whether Special Add would help better than normal Vcore.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Addict
    Can I call you Howie? JK.....why don't you put you're Mugshot up instead? That is unless you are on the back of a Milk Carton somewhere (Have You Seen This Man)
    LOL, i start to like this avatar. But it seems i get some of it's karma since i use it.
    Howie is some sort of insider joke in the hip-hop scene here and he's and 80's guy. I also like stocius's avatar.
    Well, I miss MAL options in both BIOS and Memtest. There's Maximum Read Latency at 54 or so. It freezes at 50~51. But indeed this setting has a big impact, and MAL had a huge impact on X2. That's why I ran RAM 1:1 to get tighter MAL. With a devider I could only get 6~7, with 1:1 4ns was the best I could.

Ill try upping multi from 11.5 to 12 for CPU sometime and check whether Special Add would help better than normal Vcore.
    You are right it's MRL on phenoms i mixed that.

215MHz ref HT passed the phronix-test-suite here I'm testing with 220MHz now (CPU 2750MHz).

EDIT: 220MHz passed - Results
    Last edited by justapost; 04-27-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    Most likely you'll be able to add another 2Mhz and top out there for CPU speed.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtreme Addict
    Most likely you'll be able to add another 2Mhz and top out there for CPU speed.
    I made my way up in small steps 222,224,225MHz and i'm benching under 64bit debian since an hour without problems

Just left a watermark on the phoronix-suite with an 430s kernel build time here.
    Less than half the time all others got. (I'm the only one with a quadcore in there)

225MHz Result

Gonna run memtest now and plan to find the lowest voltages for this setup this week.

EDIT: Ran a full memtest serie. Then booted into winxp and it froze during 3dmark06 install while priming. Enough for today.
    Last edited by justapost; 04-27-2008 at 12:15 PM.

LOL, i start to like this avatar. But it seems i get some of it's karma since i use it.
    Howie is some sort of insider joke in the hip-hop scene here and he's and 80's guy. I also like stocius's avatar.
    Thanks.

Xtreme Member
    JP, in 425 (which I found out is beta) I saw a warning that NB VID must equal CPU VID. I wonder is this is what you are actually seeing as unstable?

I'm back on 416 and stock. I can run programs that load the system be every now and then when I start a new program or just surfing I get a program crash or a rare reboot. I just got finished building a cad project and running the simulator back and forth between screens and did not see any problems.

CPU VID = 1.292. (CPUX 1.262).
    NB VID = AUTO
    RAM on 1.9 stock.
    All others Volts and settings AUTO.

I'm beginning to think these need 1.275 to 1.325 to run but some of you have seen lower numbers with a DVM. I'm looking for stability for now until we know more of what is going on. I want to believe both the CPU and MOBO are OK just the numbers are not where they need to be.
    Main Win64; Phen940BE, Sunbeam Cooled, DFI LP790FX-M2R, 2x2G Corsair, R3850XT
    Production XP; Athlon 6KBE, GByte POS mobo, 2x2G Gskill 800, R3750XT.

Vista 64 Test; GP9500, ECS740M, 2x2G GSkill, IGP.
    Server; 4 X 8347 Opterons, 8x1G Kingston.
    XP Home Test; A5000BE X2, ECS RS485M, 2x1G Wintec, IGP.
    S&Gs Test; A5000BE X2, ECS A770M-A, A5800 X2, ECS KA3-MVP-580X, 2x1G ?

Xtreme Addict
    I made my way up in small steps 222,224,225MHz and i'm benching under 64bit debian since an hour without problems

Just left a watermark on the phoronix-suite with an 430s kernel build time here.
    Less than half the time all others got. (I'm the only one with a quadcore in there)

225MHz Result

Gonna run memtest now and plan to find the lowest voltages for this setup this week.

EDIT: Ran a full memtest serie. Then booted into winxp and it froze during 3dmark06 install while priming. Enough for today.
    Oh ffs, this is more scary then bad actually. You seem not to be stabler after all... so do I. It ran so many things ok! And then, re-installed XP64 and after install I boot up and it freezes... Trying your 220Mhz method now woth a 10xNB multi. RAM at DDR1066...

Im going mad really.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

Xtremely Kool
    Pheww! that was close, nearly hit the buy AMD Phenom Quad Core 9850 buttton

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Final8ty View Post
    Pheww! that was close, nearly hit the buy AMD Phenom Quad Core 9850 buttton
    So what addition does this post make?

9850's are AWESOME, but you got top be lucky enough to get least not the stepping in my sig. Didnt see any bad performing other steppings yet.
    Synaptic Overflow

CPU:
    Motherboard:
    -Foxconn Bloodrage P06
    Graphics:
    RAM:
    Storage:
    PSU:

So what addition does this post make?

9850's are AWESOME, but you got top be lucky enough to get least not the stepping in my sig. Didnt see any bad performing other steppings yet.
    My 0809EPMW is also a bad clocker. 2.8GHz @ 1.27V is max. 2.85 is unstable even at 1.47V. NB does not like more than 2.2GHz....

I'll order a new one soon.

Page 4 of 57 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast