Thread: 3D Mark 06 Won't Work in Vista

Xtreme Enthusiast

3D Mark 06 Won't Work in Vista

Hi Guys

I have an advanced edition of 3D Mark 06 that came with one of my old graphics cards but it refuses to work properly in Vista Ultimate 32bit. When I run the 1.1.0 patch the setup just says that no previous install of 3D Mark could be found and if I run the benchmark without the patch it just turns of Aero and freezes the PC. Any idea what it could be?

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Weird.
    But you can download the standard version from FutureMark's website, and then use your Registration Key with it, you'll have the latest version, and will run fine.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    That's what I think I'm going to try, didn't really want to download a near 600mb app I already have but after getting this on two of my Vista installs, the one I had with totally different hardware in January and the one I have atm, I think there could be something dodgy with the disc. Thanks for the quick response

FutureMark says on their website that older versions don't work with Vista 32/64. Their fix is to download the newest version. Plain and simple.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Actually no, they say you can patch an older version. The v1.1.0 patch states specifically that it adds Vista support or at least it should when it actually manages to detect the install.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    With PC Mark05 in the past the patches available on the website in public wouldn't detect my installation.
    Later I found why:
    The advanced edition key that I was given required a "special" patch available in the password protected area of their downloads section.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Well turns out that the Asus bundled versions aren't updatable:

Q: I'm trying to update my 3DMark06 Advanced to the latest build 1.1.0, but the patch reports that it can't find the current installation. I've received my 3DMark06 Advanced licese bundled with an ASUS motherboard or graphics adapter.
    A: Unfortunately the build 1.1.0 patch installer does not work with the 3DMark06 build included with ASUS products. The problem can be corrected by first uninstalling the current version of 3DMark06 and then downloading and installing 3DMark06 Free Edition build 1.1.0. After this you can enter your registration code and unlock your 3DMark06 Advanced features.
    http://www.futuremark.com/support/3dmark06/

Do a google search, you aren't the only one having this issue. There are a couple ways to fix it. One is to rename a .dll file in the futuremark folder. I can't remember the name of it but I'm sure you can find it in google. Another is to set a parameter in your shortcut... -nosystemupdate or something like that. You can find that in google too.
    Asus P5Q
    Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale C0
    BFG GTX260 MaxCore OC @ 684/1476/1242
    4x 1GB OCZ DDR2 800 4-4-4-4-12
    2x 160GB Excelstor RAID 0
    Thermaltake Purepower RX 600W
    Windows 7 Build 7100

Xtreme Enthusiast
    No worries, got the 1.1.0 install from a friend who already downloaded it.

good to know