Thread: Wireless Adapter / Router Range Drop

Wireless Adapter / Router Range Drop

I've been using a wireless network adapter in my tower to connect to my family's wireless network for the past month. Everything has been fine; I've been able to connect to the internet, browse and download quickly and have had relatively few disconnections, none of which ever lasted more than a minute or two. Yesterday I came home from school and browsed around for five minutes. At that point, my internet connection dropped. I tried all the standard things, like unplugging the router, restarting my computer, checking the cables and antenna. Nothing.

Since then I've disabled / enabled, re-installed driver, downloaded new drivers for anything that could need it and I still have no internet. All the other computers on the network are working just fine. I moved my tower right beside the router and had perfect internet connection. I'm about 30 feet away, at most, from my room, but get absolutely nothing. Is the problem with my network card? Why would it just stop working?

Xtreme Member
    Technology and electronics! RF is based on alot of theory, who knows what actually is happening.

Try netstumbler and see if the card picks up any other wireless networks. There could also be interference from other 2.4Ghz devices - phones, microwaves etc etc.
    Last edited by ben0; 01-31-2009 at 04:05 AM.

Q9650 @ 4.05Ghz
    ATI Radeon 4870x2
    2 x 2Gb OCZ DDR3 @ 1800Mhz
    Evga 790i :-)
    Tagan 1100w PSU :-)
    3 x OCZ Core v2 32Gb SSD's on Perc 5i :-)

Cooling: DTEK Fuzion, PA120.3, EK Res250, DDC18W with Petras Top