Thread: Pirate Bay Demands Compensation for Blocked Traffic

Xtreme Mentor

Talking Pirate Bay Demands Compensation for Blocked Traffic

hehehe....
    http://www.dailytech.com/Pirate+Bay+...ticle11507.htm

BitTorrent Tracker Shoots Back at IFPI Volleys

Swedish BitTorrent tracker The Pirate Bay is demanding compensation from the IFPI for a court decision that found the site blocked from customers of the Denmark’s Tele2 ISP.

The block, initiated last February by the IFPI, ordered Tele2 to shut off access to The Pirate Bay after a Danish court found the ISP to be unlawfully assisting in the distribution of copyrighted works, by allowing customers to access The Pirate Bay’s BitTorrent tracker and search engine. Critics feared the ruling would soon spread to a number of other countries, and IFPI executives in nearby Norway and Finland announced they were looking into similar court action.

Writing in his blog, Pirate Bay co-founder Peter “Brokep” Sunde said the site will file a legal complaint, asking to be compensated for the time the site spent blocked in Denmark, with proceeds to be spent funding Danish artists interested in sharing their music online, for free. Sunde said the money would be handled by the Danish Piratgruppen, and that unlike the IFPI, The Pirate Bay will only ask for “a reasonable amount of money.”

“The grant will give out money to Danish aspiring artists for making music and releasing it for free,” said Sunde, “And all will be sponsored by IFPI since they tried to those people over. Poetic justice.”

The Pirate Bay’s demand for compensation represents its second maneuver in the case of IFPI v. Tele2: shortly after the block was implemented administrators opened The Jesper Bay, a site for Dutch users that provided instructions for circumventing Tele2’s restrictions.

Sunde notes that while the site has risen from 29th to 24th in Alexa rankings, “we’ve had to do a lot to defend ourselves and that we need compensation for the users that lost access to the site and for the people who are spreading their works using The Pirate Bay.”

Earlier this month the IFPI demanded $2.5m from The Pirate Bay, for its role in illegally facilitating the distribution of a handful of music CDs, movies, and video games.

These guys are awesome.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The Pirate Bay:
    The only torrenting site I know that is always countering something, and never getting busted.

I love it.
    Gigabyte P35-DQ6 | Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 | 2x1GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1066 5-5-5-15 | MSI nVIDIA GeForce 7300LE

Xtreme Member
    “The grant will give out money to Danish aspiring artists for making music and releasing it for free,” said Sunde, “And all will be sponsored by IFPI since they tried to those people over. Poetic justice.”
    I love it.
    CPU: i5 3570k @ 4.2 Ghz
    Memory: 2x4gb Kingston HyperX @ 1600Mhz
    Graphics: Sapphire 6950 Toxic on BenQ XL2420TE
    Board: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
    Power: Corsair AX850W (70A)

HEATware
    Currently playing: Planetside 2, Dead Space 3, Call of Juarez: Gunslinger

Xtreme Member
    man, these guys are genius. always rising above their threats
    my mini-fridge
    MoBo: GA-EP45-UD3P | CPU: Q9550 3.6GHZ @ 1.216v | RAM: 4x1GB 900mhz @ 5-5-5-15 | GPU: GTX 460 900G/1800S/4400M | PSU: Corsair 750TX| HDD's: Seagate 320GB + 500GB, Samsung 1TB | Case: antec p180

Xtreme Addict
    And the latest news are:

http://thepiratebay.org/blog

2008-04-18, for immediate release: Chief police investigator in Pirate Bay trial employed by the copyright industry

Jim Keyzer has had a leading role in the prosecution against The Pirate Bay as head of the preliminary investigation. In the
    upcoming trial he is expected to be a key witness and due to being a police investigator to have high credibility.

Keyzer was also heading an investigation where The Pirate Bay sued some of the mayor media corporations for data trespassing.
    That case was recently cancelled by him.

But....

New information reveals that the 39-year old investigator isn't the objective professional a police investigator should be.
    Since March 16 this year, he is employed by Warner Bros, one of the plaintiffs in the prosecution against The Pirate Bay.
    Keyzer himself confirmed the information but refused to reveal what his position within the company is.

- It was yesterday that the blog, kopit.se, discovered that Jim had changed employer on his Facebook profile. The new employer
    was Warner Bros and we decided to call him up and ask about it. He confirmed that he is an employee there and we can't see it
    in any other way than this being the reward for a work well done from the new employer of the police - the entertainment industry,
    says Peter Sunde of The Pirate Bay.

According to Peter Athlin, Sunde's laywer, the consequence of the information could be that the investigation has to be remade.

- If the trial wasn't already just a political theatre, this clearly shows that this is not a fair and balanced trial. The copyright
    industry stands no chance in an objective legal judgement and therefor have to cheat their way forward. Their legitimacy has hit rock
    bottom, says Magnus Eriksson of copyright critics Piratbyrån (Bureau for Piracy).

- This is a legal outrage. Talk about biased, Sunde continues. Keyzer is in charge of the investigation. No matter the reasons to
    switch employer, this investigation has not been fair. We have felt that the investigation has concentrated on trying to locate something
    to point out as wrong with The Pirate Bay instead of determining if the activities of the site are unlawful or not.

Monique Wadsted, laywer at MAQS law firm, representing Hollywood in the case, comments on the story this way:
    - I suppose this is Warner Bros way of expressing how they feel about the good work Jim Keyzer has done. But nothing inappropriate
    has been going on during the preliminary investigation.

How nice of Hollywood to come up with yet another unbiased voice to tell us the truth...About time to investigate the investigators!

GA-H55N-USB3
    i3-550 L008B555 @4.6GHz (1.36v)
    Sapphire HD 5850 @1GHz/1.3GHz (1.25v)
    GSkill ECO 4GB PC3-12800 @1.33GHz 6-6-6-20 1T (1.34v)

Xtreme Addict
    So the key witness and head investigator of this "case" is employed by warner? Awesome. Now these bastards directly sneak their way into the courtroom, instead of just bribing the government to try to reach their goal of eroding the system. Damn they should just burn in hell. I don't get it. How can companies of one country legally bribe (oh, wait, I think the word was lobbying) their government to use some of their "diplomacy" in order to get the police in another country pursue a group of people that aren't doing _anything_ wrong and that are following the rights of their own country and get away with it like happened with the police raid at pirate bay? I guess this is just another way of world domination, "do what we're made to say by the companies that bribe us or we're not doing buissness with you anymore". But enough with my rant. Concerning this case I hope that the whole case fails due to these facts.
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Why all Swede people that I know of are extremely cool?
    Last edited by Caparroz; 04-19-2008 at 06:22 AM.
    Murray Walker: "And there are flames coming from the back of Prost's McLaren as he enters the Swimming Pool."

James Hunt: "Well, that should put them out then."

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Thanks
    Intel i7 920@ ???| Inno3D 8800GT OC Edition | 3x1 Corsair 1600 DHX | DFI UT-X58 | TT ToughPower 850W

Watercooling: D-Tek FuZion V2, DDC Ultra Plexi top, PA120.3, MCW60, Ek's Res.

Xtreme Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Caparroz View Post
    Why all Swede people that I know of are extremely cool?
    That's cuz swede's in my eyes fights back for their rights and doesn't let the government have it's own unexceptable ways and sometimes go maybe even too far but hey that's another story. I have a couple of examples I could give but I don't feel like turning this into some politics chitchat.
    Intel? Core i5-4670K @ 4.3 GHz | ASRock Extreme6 Z87 | G.Skill Sniper 2x8GB @ DDR4-1866 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 970 OC Windforce 3x | Super Flower Titanium 1000W | ViewSonic VX2268wm 120Hz LCD | Phanteks PH-TC14PE | Logitech MX-518 | Win 7 x64 Professional | Samsung 850 EVO & 840 Pro SSDs

If all people would share opinions in an objective manner, the world would be a friendlier place

Xtreme Addict
    Tele2 Crap, it's allmost like censorship.

They should be banned from DK

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post

Tele2 did it on purpose. They wanted it to be tested on trial. in short, IFPI and others wont be able to try this again.
    Crunching for Comrades and the Common good of the People.

Aussie God
    Quote Originally Posted by nullface View Post

Anything banned from Denmark..?
    We even host the very kind "Hizb-ut-tahrir"...
    Competition ranking;
    2005; Netbyte, Karise/Denmark #1 @ PiFast
    2008; AOCM II, Minfeld/Germany #2 @ 01SE/AM3/8M (w. Oliver)
    2009; AMD-OC, Viborg/Denmark #2 @ max freq Gigabyte TweaKING, Paris/France #4 @ 32M/01SE (w. Vanovich)
    2010: Gigabyte P55, Hamburg/Germany #6 @ wprime 1024/SPI 1M (w. THC) AOCM III, Minfeld/Germany #6 @ 01SE/AM3/1M/8M (w. NeoForce)

Spectating;
    2010; GOOC 2010 Many thanks to Gigabyte!

Ebay Hater
    ah, the joys of tele2.. wasn't too hard to get past it though
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by RPGWiZaRD View Post
    That's cuz swede's in my eyes fights back for their rights and doesn't let the government have it's own unexceptable ways and sometimes go maybe even too far but hey that's another story. I have a couple of examples I could give but I don't feel like turning this into some politics chitchat.
    QFT! Sweden is a good example of how the relation between government and people can be - swedes rock!
    The XS Folding@Home team needs your help! Join us and help fight diseases with your CPU and GPU!!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by p2501 View Post
    can be
    and should be!
    Notice any grammar or spelling mistakes? Feel free to correct me! Thanks

Xtreme Member
    We have faschists here also that want to turn Sweden into Robocop country.

If WB can buy a cop they can buy judges and politicians also. The fight for democracy isn't over...
    And don't forget that the media is on their side, not ours. Watch the film Network from 1976 and you'll know what I mean...
    Last edited by Poodle; 04-26-2008 at 09:55 AM.
    AMD Phenom II 940BE | DFI LP DK790B-M2RS | Echo audio Layla 3G | 8GB Corsair C5 PC6400 | Sapphire HD3870 with HR-03+ | Genelec 8030A | Samsung 244T | Antec P182 gun metal | Thermal right Ultra120 | UPS: APC BACK-UPS RS 1500VA | Windows Vista Ultimate 64 | DAW: Ableton/Sonar | WAN: 100/10Mbit/s | OS on: WD Velocioraptor Storage: Rocket Raid 2300 PCI-E + 4*400GB Samsung T133 @Raid5. Firewall: Tyan Tomcat 945GM | Core Duo T2600 | 2*512MB ram | Nexus PM PSM-5000 | Picu PSU.

"People who enjoy waving flags
    don't deserve to have one".

Xtreme Cruncher
    swedes rock.. once i saw a swede that was more gorgeous than giselle bundchen :P ... i also love isohunt
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

YouTube Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodle View Post
    We have faschists here also that want to turn Sweden into Robocop country.

If WB can buy a cop they can buy judges and politicians also. The fight for democracy isn't over...
    And don't forget that the media is on their side, not ours. Watch the film Network from 1976 and you'll know what I mean...
    Actually Steal this Film 2 is a better perspective if you ask me (and they want you to share actively share it)
    Fast computers breed slow, lazy programmers
    The price of reliability is the pursuit of the utmost simplicity. It is a price which the very rich find most hard to pay.
    http://www.lighterra.com/papers/modernmicroprocessors/
    Modern Ram, makes an old overclocker miss BH-5 and the fun it was

Ebay Hater
    Steal this Film 2 was very good, but I got this weird feeling that half the interviewees were either a little crazy or on something
    In short, both AMD and NVIDIA discovered that their next-generation graphics cards are superior to each others' last-generation graphics cards.