Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Creed - First DX10.1 Title

Xtreme Member

Talking Assassins Creed - hold that Vista SP1 there!

Looks like DX10.1 is already giving some real returns. Check it here.

Xtreme Cruncher
    if this is true then AMD/ATI finally has the takes the same performance hit as Nivida when AA is turned on compared to off. and thats up 20%. but im not to sure about this. you would think they would broad cast it if it was DX10.1. and still only 1 game.......it's nice to see extra performance but 10.1 is still a ways off of having a large benefit.
    CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K @ 4.5GHz
    Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: 32GB (8x4GB) Patriot Viper EX @ 1866mhz
    GPU: EVGA GTX Titan (1087Boost/6700Mem)
    Physx: Evga GTX 560 2GB
    Sound: Creative XFI Titanium
    Case: Modded 700D
    PSU: Corsair 1200AX (Fully Sleeved)
    Storage: 2x120GB OCZ Vertex 3's in RAID 0 + WD 600GB V-Raptor + Seagate 1TB
    Cooling: XSPC Raystorm, 2x MCP 655's, FrozenQ Warp Drive, EX360+MCR240+EX120 Rad's

all outta gum
    This doesnt change the fact that AA in Assassins Creed looks very poor. Also it has the same flickering shadows problem as Crysis.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

ive been playing non stop and its got amazing grafix and its probly the best overall grafix, but my game compaired to the bench marks that ive seen i thought that i was doing something messed up it seams like way more than the 40-60 and with 2048x1536 and vsink @ 75hrz it seams like its maxing it out with all of the settings maxed
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Addict

Assassin Creed DX_10.1 Benchmark

Quote Originally Posted by DX10 vs. DX10.1
    1. Altair has certainly come bearing gifts-based on what we've seen above, it seems rather clear that Assassin's Creed is the first title to implement DX10.1.

2. The impact that DX10.1 has is quite frankly greater than expected. A 20% improvement in AA performance is very impressive
    http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=2

Xtreme Mentor
    I just love this game! It's amazingly fun to play and looks gorgeous! Can't wait to reply it again on RV770!
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    I just love this game! It's amazingly fun to play and looks gorgeous! Can't wait to reply it again on RV770!
    That was me until i got to the 5th assassination and got annoyed and started killing all the beggars and drunks in the town. Had to take 2 month break so i can go back to complete it only to be disappointed by the ending.
    TAMGc5: PhII X4 945, Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD3P, 2x Kingston PC2-6400 HyperX CL4 2GB, 2x ASUS HD 5770 CUcore Xfire, Razer Barracuda AC1, Win8 Pro x64 (Current)

TAMGc6: AMD FX, Gigabyte GA-xxxx-UDx, 8GB/16GB DDR3, Nvidia 680 GTX, ASUS Xonar, 2x 120/160GB SSD, 1x WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 6Gb/s, Win8 Pro x64 (Planned)

Xtreme Addict

Assassin's Creed - First DX10.1 Title

"As soon as we finally got our copy of AC, we got around to...playing it, of course (what, did you think we started testing right away?). As it were, between two separate sessions, Service Pack 1 got uninstalled. Intent on resuming our trek through the Kingdom of Heaven, we were quite surprised to notice that performance got perceivably worse on our 3870X2 using rig, in spite of the only different thing being the lack of SP1 (all other available updates were installed after uninstalling SP1). Since SP1 was never proven to be the ultimate performance enhancer, it was quickly discarded as the possible reason for the sudden loss of performance. After quite a bit of useless tinkering trying to figure out what went wrong, whilst going through some whitepapers these two slides seemed to suggest an unexpected yet obvious answer:

That was the thing we were missing, the one aspect of SP1 that might explain the performance delta: it introduces DX10.1, and the X2 is a 10.1 part. As seen above, DirectX in its latest incarnation brings some nifty features that might translate into better AA performance and quality-we were seeing both with SP1 installed. Could it be that AC is the first title to support DX10.1?If that is the case, why was it not actively advertised? Since it seemed we had an enigma on our hands, there's was no easy way out other than to investigate it."

source; http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=1
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywoman View Post
    "As soon as we finally got our copy of AC, we got around to...playing it, of course (what, did you think we started testing right away?). As it were, between two separate sessions, Service Pack 1 got uninstalled. Intent on resuming our trek through the Kingdom of Heaven, we were quite surprised to notice that performance got perceivably worse on our 3870X2 using rig, in spite of the only different thing being the lack of SP1 (all other available updates were installed after uninstalling SP1). Since SP1 was never proven to be the ultimate performance enhancer, it was quickly discarded as the possible reason for the sudden loss of performance. After quite a bit of useless tinkering trying to figure out what went wrong, whilst going through some whitepapers these two slides seemed to suggest an unexpected yet obvious answer:

That was the thing we were missing, the one aspect of SP1 that might explain the performance delta: it introduces DX10.1, and the X2 is a 10.1 part. As seen above, DirectX in its latest incarnation brings some nifty features that might translate into better AA performance and quality-we were seeing both with SP1 installed. Could it be that AC is the first title to support DX10.1?If that is the case, why was it not actively advertised? Since it seemed we had an enigma on our hands, there's was no easy way out other than to investigate it."

source; http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=1
    This was posted before, idk where and can't find it but just read about it here on xs this morning

Xtreme Addict
    Sounds like a leap of logic to me. They uninstalled SP1, it performed worse, and they automatically assumed it could only be because the game uses DX10.1?

Why don't they try the same thing with an 8800 series card and get back with us.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

Banned
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...ighlight=creed

Digged up that thread. Bit misleading title don't want to imply this thread is wrongly posted but it is a repost

Xtreme Addict
    my bad. plz delete
    Case-Coolermaster Cosmos S
    MoBo- ASUS Crosshair IV
    Graphics Card-XFX R9 280X [out for RMA] using HD5870
    Hard Drive-Kingston 240Gig V300 master Seagate 160Gb slave Seagate 250Gb slave Seagate 500Gb slave Western Digital 500Gb
    CPU-AMD FX-8320 5Ghz
    RAM 8Gig Corshair c8
    Logitech 5.1 Z5500 BOOST22
    300Gb of MUSICA!!

Steam ID: alphamonkeywoman
    http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/933ab/

Banned
    Actually, if the other thread is kept it would be wise to change it's title to avoid other threads popping up because the title is so vague! Maybe ask for a merge instead

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Could easily be the mess caused by uninstalling the service pack.
    They better do two tests... windows vista installation 1 without SP1 run the tests.
    Windows vista installation 2 with SP1 and run the tests.
    And of course with the exact same hardware, drivers, etc.

Xtreme Mentor
    yep , i think this game is DX10.0 only

maybe what happen is that when they uninstalled SP1 all the patches for Crossfire/Multi GPU were also gone . (HD3870X2 used)

that patches already came with SP1 , without SP1 you have to install them manually (they are only optional in WU)

regards
    Last edited by mascaras; 04-17-2008 at 06:57 AM.

[Review] Core i7 920 & UD5 » Here!! « .....[Review] XFX GTX260 216SP Black Edition » Here!! «
    [Review] ASUS HD4870X2 TOP » Here!! «
    .....[Review] EVGA 750i SLi FTW » Here!! «
    [Review] BFG 9800GTX 512MB » Here!! « .....[Review] Geforce 9800GX2 1GB » Here!! «
    [Review] EVGA GTX280 1GB GDDR3 » Here!! « .....[Review] Powercolor HD4870 512MB GDDR5 » Here!! «

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by mascaras View Post
    yep , i think this game is DX10.0 only

maybe what happen is that when they uninstalled SP1 all the patches for Crossfire/Multi GPU were also gone . (HD3870X2 used)

that patches already came with SP1 , without SP1 you have to install them manually (they are only optional in WU)

regards
    these patches you're mentioning can't have anything to do with AA implementation:

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=4

besides if game don't have that DX10.1 tech implemented don't you think that NVIDIA would be ringing about it all around the Net?
    Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    With the current hardware ( and generally ) DX10.1 CANNOT help in better AA performance.

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Nedjo View Post
    these patches you're mentioning can't have anything to do with AA implementation:

http://www.rage3d.com/articles/assas.../index.php?p=4

besides if game don't have that DX10.1 tech implemented don't you think that NVIDIA would be ringing about it all around the Net?

those are also results with HD2900 and HD2900 dont have dx10.1 support , although in that results also get better AA with SP1 ............

regards
    Last edited by mascaras; 04-17-2008 at 07:08 AM.

[Review] Core i7 920 & UD5 » Here!! « .....[Review] XFX GTX260 216SP Black Edition » Here!! «
    [Review] ASUS HD4870X2 TOP » Here!! «
    .....[Review] EVGA 750i SLi FTW » Here!! «
    [Review] BFG 9800GTX 512MB » Here!! « .....[Review] Geforce 9800GX2 1GB » Here!! «
    [Review] EVGA GTX280 1GB GDDR3 » Here!! « .....[Review] Powercolor HD4870 512MB GDDR5 » Here!! «

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    With the current hardware ( and generally ) DX10.1 CANNOT help in better AA performance.
    There's a lot that can go into AA performance, you're going to have to go into more detail than that.
    DFI LANParty DK 790FX-B
    Phenom II X4 955 BE (1003GPMW) @ 3.8GHz (19x200) w/1.36v
    -cooling: Scythe Mugen 2 + AC MX-2
    XFX ATI Radeon HD 5870 1024MB
    8GB PC2-6400 G.Skill @ 800MHz (1:2) 5-5-5-15 w/1.8v
    Seagate 1TB 7200.11 Barracuda
    Corsair HX620W

Support PC gaming. Don't pirate games.

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    Ask them to do what I said in my first post.
    And if you guys are that curious about AA performance, ask them to do a AA scaling test as well [ use various AA levels on a specific resolution & game settings, and repeat that for Vista non-SP1 and Vista SP1 ] { with new installation for SP1...not uninstall SP1 and run the tests like it being a "clean non-SP1 installation }.

Concrete conclusions, require "concrete" & clear testing methodology

Theoretically DX10.1 just adds more lighting and other commands if i remember right. It wasn't very important at all. Even Crytek said so.
    My Rig can do EpicFLOPs, Can yours?
    Once this baby hits 88 TeraFLOPs, You're going to see some serious $@#%....

Build XT7 is currently active.
    Current OS Systems: Windows 10 64bit

Xtreme Enthusiast

I'm sold!
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by BenchZowner View Post
    Ask them to do what I said in my first post.
    And if you guys are that curious about AA performance, ask them to do a AA scaling test as well [ use various AA levels on a specific resolution & game settings, and repeat that for Vista non-SP1 and Vista SP1 ] { with new installation for SP1...not uninstall SP1 and run the tests like it being a "clean non-SP1 installation }.

Concrete conclusions, require "concrete" & clear testing methodology
    Does the installation then removal of SP1 impact DX10.1 games? If so how and why? Is there any reason to believe that a complete reinstall of Vista is needed if you uninstall SP1 then reinstall SP1 when playing DX10.1 games? If so, how and why? IMO, this job is something for you to do as it really deviates from the article. There is no information to suggest that uninstalling/reinstall SP1 impacts DX10.1 games at this time. They have already provided enough data to substantiate their claim. Therefore, if you believe that a complete reinstall of Vista is needed we can all benefit if you provided the necessary data to back your claim(s).
    Last edited by Eastcoasthandle; 04-17-2008 at 07:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] hipno650 View Post
    if this is true then AMD/ATI finally has the takes the same performance hit as Nivida when AA is turned on compared to off. and thats up 20%. but im not to sure about this. you would think they would broad cast it if it was DX10.1. and still only 1 game.......it's nice to see extra performance but 10.1 is still a ways off of having a large benefit.
    I guess since it's a NV title, they didn't want to broadcast the fact they don't support DX10.1
    A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast