Thread: antifreeze and fiberglass

antifreeze and fiberglass

I've decided that to make my waterchiller i'm going to use 2 drawered filing cabinet as the case, the bottom drawer will hold the coolant and the dehumidifier, i plan on using fiberglass to seal off the coolant from the dehumidifier and to seal off the entire compartment so it wont leak...will fiberglass and antifreeze react at all? also, does fiberglass make an ok insulator or should i insulate the compartment some more before making the fiberglass container? any ideas on how i can make the highest part of my loop not be right at the block? and will fiberglass hold up to -20C temps?

Xtreme Member
    You won't have a problem with a fiberglass container since your epoxy, polyester, and vinylester resins are all impervious to antifreeze. I'm guessing you'll be using polyester.

As for insulation, unless you use a foam core in your fiberglass laminate, you'll probably have to insulate.. A foam core might be your best choice because it will insulate and provide alot more strength/rigidity and you can get by with less layups on either side... (3 layers/side should work)...
    DFI NF4-SLI Expert
    3700+ CABGE 0515SPMW @3.2ghz (291x11) 24/7
    Prometeia Chilled!
    7800GTX Watercooled
    TwinX1024 XMS4400C25
    WD 74gb Raptor
    Dell 2405FPW

www.LATENIGHTBOYS.com

I'd go with insulating the fiberglass just to be on the safe side, though it might not be necessary.

XIP - can sit on his hair
    He probably worked it out after 17years