Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3643444546
Results 1,126 to 1,135 of 1135

Thread: Asus P5E3 Premium Wi-fi-AP

Xtreme Member
    Been there and done that! You're right on about the platinum kit sucking. I switched to the reapers and have had better luck. I've got 4GB going now. I've been fairly limited with the quad and this board as well. People with Corsair dominators have definitely had a better go of it. I bought into this board right after it came out. This was my first build. I've learned my lesson well and will definitely do more research before doing this again and not be so quick with the trigger finger. At this point, I also would tend to favor a different manufacturer. Sorry I don't have more to offer you. Good luck.

yeah first time Ive built a decent system too. Just learnt not to trust online reviews about computer stuff, obviously they got a different board to me... Ive pretty much got mine running pretty strong now though apart from running the ram at a lower rated speed but I was able to speed up the timings so thats good until I get some decent ram. the e8500 is running at 4050mhz on stock voltage and 450 fsb...

Im gonna try to get into water cooling this winter so I can still run it fast when summer comes, is there blocks you can use for your northbridge? has anyone else tried water cooling with this board?

got some corsair dominator 1800mhz modules to replace the crap ocz platinum ram... I think its dead now anyway. now the ram cant hold up stably at all.

Ive also picked up a ek cooler for my 4870x2 and a swiftech water cooling system. Looks like it had some nice parts in it for the price. EK also makes a list of blocks to replace the northbridge and southbridge and the mosfets on this board... Im not going to go that far just yet.

If the ram works a bit better then I might keep goin with this board otherwise Im gonna grab a rampage extreme while theres still a few around, doesnt have some of the wifi features of this board though.

Guys,

I think this new 0704 bios rocks. I agree with everythine anyone has ever said about OCZ platinum ram I tried 3 different kits of OCZ 1600EB 2x2gb kits.....none would run AT ALL in this board. I had them swapped out for 1800mhz reapers and I had them running-prime stabel after a couple of voltage bumps. NO problems for over a year. Recently, I had some stability problems, and found my CPU was heading south from running 4.05ghz 24/7 @ 1.34v. It just wouldnt do it anymore. I got a new CPU, and found that I could run 1.16v STABLE at 4.05 ghz......

One weird thing, is that around the time I saw the old CPU taking a dump, I switched to the new bios (0704) I started playing with voltages. For all this time, I've had to run 1.65v on the NB (fan cooled of course) and 1.9v on the ram to be able to run a 1800mhz 8-8-8-27 1T Perf Level 7, but now I was able to lower the NB to 1.55v (safer) and the ram to 1.8v. I am absolutely positive that with the old bios (0505) and the old CPU I could never run the NB or ram that low. I'm not sure if the new CPU is responsible in part, or if it is the new bios, btu This board rocks, if you can find the right memory for it.

yeah think Im starting to think that running the chips that far above their rated speed has gotta be cutting their life back even if it seems 100% stable. I also noticed the massive improvement in the new bios... finally... I was just taking back the voltages and the timings in disbelief.

Eventually I got greedy though and the ram took a dump for the final time though... I think Im gonna burn em or just smash em with a hammer or something... hehehe farken ocz 1600eb first time I ever got down to performance level 7 manually anyway... damn you got 1t... Ive never ever got to enable that one maybe with the new dominators...

Actually, I couldn't believe it either. OCZ tech support said they were kinda suprised too. I don't know if all Reaper 2x2gb 1800mhz kits will do it, but these needed a small .02v bump in NB voltage, and they were perfectly stable. I like that I can run the ram at 1.8v now. I hear these boards over-volt the memory, and at 1.9v in the bios, they got pretty warm when running prime or gaming.....less is definately more, as I want this build to last another year.

damn got the new ram but no dice. Is it possible that you can burn out your memory slots on the motherboard? I can only run my ocz ram in one really slow setting. manually configured, defaults dont boot.

I changed over to my corsair dominator 1800's and they wont boot at any setting default or manually configured, I can get into windows but it freezes while its loading.

ocz's fail memtest immediately but they can still run and I can still get on the net with occasional bsod's. CPU still seems fine and everything else on the board is running fine... unless the ram is DOA...

Has anyone else had issues like this?

turns out my northbridge went bad. rma'd it and picked up the rampage extreme. if i was running anywhere over 1.5 on the nb in future i would definately be looking at aftermarket cooling or your livin on borrowed time with good ram u shouldnt have to run it that high anyway... peace out fellas good luck with this thing...

There is a new BIOS update for ICH9R

Bios here: http://www.mediafire.com/?s6i4d1bzxh54hmq

Forum here: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Quote Originally Posted by Mekar View Post
    Did you try it? Is it stable? For what i read it was custom made.

Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 3643444546