Thread: Stop those Popups!!

IRC Operative

Stop those Popups!!

If your experiencing those annyoing popups in WinXP heres the solution to stop them!!

go to Start, Run, type MSConfig, clickt he services tab then find messenger and turn it off, this will NOT affect MSN messenger in any way i assure you.

Many people have asked this question so i thought i would post t here and maybe get it stickied so people stop bugging me asking for the solution!

CPU:
    Intel i5 750 @ 4200mhz 200x21 1.344v
    Cooling:
    Corsair H50
    Mobo:
    Gigabyte P55-US3L
    Memory:
    4GB Corsair XMS3 9-9-9-24
    GFX:
    ASUS HD5850 850/1200 1GB

Xtreme Member
    thought I would add a few things;

Messenger is a service that sends messages between clients and servers. Under normal conditions you will not be needing this function. If you do, you already know this You should remove this service to avoid the possibility of "net send" messages from the internet. This has nothing to do with MSN Messenger.

To test for this vulnerability; run cmd.exe and type:
    net send 127.0.0.1 "hello"
    If you get a popup "hello" message, you should disable the Messenger service.
    If you get an error message, you're ok.

disable messenger: run services.msc /s rightclick on the messenger service and choose properties, set "startup type" to "disabled", and click the stop-button.

Xtreme Relic
    I never get the popups and I'm glad because we use net send all the time. If I want to tell my son something...I know he's in his room on the PC and I send him a message "let the dogs out" or whatever, same with the wife when she's upstairs and I'm in the basement.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson (1939 - 2005)

Xtreme Member
    Yeah, many ISP.s use filters to block Messenger spam (mine does ) or have you closed the ports that it uses(firewall)?

Xtreme Relic
    I have a Router Firewall
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

JBELL
    Originally posted by TheDude
    I never get the popups and I'm glad because we use net send all the time. If I want to tell my son something...I know he's in his room on the PC and I send him a message "let the dogs out" or whatever, same with the wife when she's upstairs and I'm in the basement.
    damn your lazy!!! LMAO

Xtreme Relic
    Originally posted by JBELL
    damn your lazy!!! LMAO
    Hey man...cut me some slack...I'm climbing stairs with a cane!
    Ain't technology grand tho? I admit, even without the cane, I would still do it cause it's just plain cool.

Xtreme Recruit
    I also has netsend enabled and don't get the messages. Pretty usefull in my house becuase my mom doesn't use AIM or anything so when i need to tell her something and i know she's checking her email i'll just send her a message.

X. I. P.
    Kinda off-topic, but has anyone found a Windows equivalent to Zephyr for UNIX?

Kinda liked the "lazy" feature of it, it would search for where the person was logged on (wherever that might be) and send them a message.

The epitomy of lazy in a corporate environment, you could message someone without knowing where they were or what workstation they were logged onto!
    The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

Xtreme Relic
    Zephyr is great, you can send automated messages to yourself...little reminders that go off at preset times....but I don't know of a windows version.

X. I. P.
    I just got a PM from a bud on another forum that GAIM is supposed to work like Zephyr (and a lot of other message progs, as well), http://gaim.sourceforge.net/ and http://gaim.sourceforge.net/win32/index.php for the windows version.

I'm downloading a large ISO now else I'd grab it tonight and try it. Tomorrow!

Xtreme Member
    Thanks ACE,

I've been wondering but avoided the repeated noob question
    A Must See if you have ever wondered about 9/11 Pentagon Attack

Popular mechanics Debunk conspiracy theorists

X. I. P.
    They gotta change the name of gaim. As my daughter put it, "ghey IM? No way!"

I haven't discovered any Zephyr features (not yet, anyway).