Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: TRUE TEC Module (with pics)

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I dont know if i would want to do this, or just get the $300 OCZ phase setup...

Quote Originally Posted by KTE View Post
    scifikg, check post#70, that'll be a real cooling test for you and us
    Yep, 32M only loads one core.

Is the Cu you used Alloy 11000?
    It is Cu alloy 110.

I ran the OCCT v2.0.0.0a auto test for 1 hour.

The highest temperature I saw is below. It occurred about half way through the test.

Temperature cold plate = -0.2C
    Temperautre hot plate = 46.4C

This is closer to what I was expecting to see and a pretty big difference between the superpi test.

c[_]
    Use Real Temp, Coretemp does not work very well with 45nm cpu's.

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    Pretty good temps those, it did work to some degree of decent efficiency there - it can be improved though. Thanks for the tests
    110 has a conductance of 388 W/m-C at 20C BTW.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by n00b 0f l337 View Post
    As Vapor said, each heatpipe has a load for it, most around here are 35W or 50W. Past that they become quite useless.
    Useless to say the least, overloading the heatpipe might make the heat exchanger go into error, you might burn a thing or two. This has not been an issue yet, but I do remember seeing a chart which proves this.

Xtreme Member
    Excellent performance!

Xtreme Member
    you really should think bout manufacturing on a commercial basis if you can produce them for a reasonable price.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
    - Popular Mechanics, 1949

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
    - Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943

Heat

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam__ View Post
    you really should think bout manufacturing on a commercial basis if you can produce them for a reasonable price.
    i see to many complications.. i see it being a cool custom thing but if your going to try and mass produce your going to face too many issues.

most obvious issue is it wont fit on all boards.. every layout is different

none the less still think the design is brilliant

Xtreme Enthusiast
    What about getting some huge copper sinks, say 3 of them. Then put 3 300w pelts on 1 layer, and then a copper coldplate, and then 2 more 300w pelts into another copper coldplate, wich then cools the cpu. I have bunch of 150w pelts, i could mess around with those and see what i can do.

Quote Originally Posted by evil-98 View Post
    i see to many complications.. i see it being a cool custom thing but if your going to try and mass produce your going to face too many issues.

most obvious issue is it wont fit on all boards.. every layout is different

none the less still think the design is brilliant
    This is very true. There is another big problem. It won't fit in most cases. It just barely fits in my coolermaster case. As it is right now, it will only fit on some Intel DFI boards and only in some coolermaster or Lian-Li cases.

Assistant Administrator systemviper's Avatar
    Love the work with the TEC's, It's nice to see some real world application and numbers.

I have always been excited by TEC's but i haven't been around here to see much about them but warnings and negative comments.
    And I know that most people are speaking from direct expierience, but it's cool to see something from concept to Trialz...

Great job!
    HWbot - Team: XtremeSystems
    XS cruncher - Team: XtremeSystems
    OCN Feedback
    HEAT

*** Being kind is sometimes better then being right.

What capacity does you fans run at to get the current temps?
    And where on the coldside and hotside are your temperature probes attached?

Your results are really good, and the heatpipes seem to be working just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorlen View Post
    What capacity does you fans run at to get the current temps?
    And where on the coldside and hotside are your temperature probes attached?

Your results are really good, and the heatpipes seem to be working just fine.
    The fans are at 12V, but I'll be dropping them all to 7V when everything is said and done. When I was testing the module with no load, the hotplate temerature went up 3C as I dropped the fan voltage to 7V.

You can see the cold plate probe in the insulation picture. The hot plate probe is in the middle of the plate just between the corner edges of the TRUEs

Xtreme Cruncher
    I am glad it performed so good.. the usual negative comments seem to be vanishing after your results
    "Study hard my young friend"[/B].
    ---------------------------------------
    Woody: It's not a laser! It's a... [sighs in frustration]

I say but the probe on the CPU heatspreader, on the side not sandwiched of course. I imagine thats the hottest place you can measure without modding to much.
    I just think your results are to good to be true.

Xtreme Cruncher
    his numbers are right where they should be. He has done his homework and knows a lot!

Xtreme Member
    Nicely done, glad it worked out. And congrats on a very nice, clean build.

Only last word of caution, when dropping the fans down to 7v be careful to keep hot side @ or under 50C. Going above that is going to start affecting your peltiers efficiency pretty quickly.
    *I'm way dumber than my dad, please have patience*

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by littleowl View Post
    his numbers are right where they should be. He has done his homework and knows a lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtosDracon View Post
    Nicely done, glad it worked out. And congrats on a very nice, clean build.

Only last word of caution, when dropping the fans down to 7v be careful to keep hot side @ or under 50C. Going above that is going to start affecting your peltiers efficiency pretty quickly.

c[_]
    I think you need to move your probe on the cold side, but otherwise turned out pretty good

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Xtreme Mentor
    I must have missed the answer, but how much power is required for that TEC?
    Thanks,
    Utnorris
    CPUID http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=484051
    http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=554982
    New DO Stepping http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=555012
    4.8Ghz - http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=794165

Desk Build
    FX8120 @ 4.6Ghz 24/7 / Asus Crosshair V /HD7970/ 8Gb (4x2Gb) Gskill 2133Mhz / Intel 320 160Gb OS Drive, WD 256GB Game Storage

W/C System
    (CPU) Swiftech HD (GPU) EK HD7970 with backplate (RAM) MIPS Ram block (Rad/Pump) 3 x Thermochill 120.3 triple rads and Dual MCP355's with Heatkiller dual top and Cyberdruid Prism res / B*P/Koolance Compression Fittings and Quick Disconnects.

Xtreme Member

TEC power in and power pumped

Quote Originally Posted by scifikg View Post
    The fans are at 12V, but I'll be dropping them all to 7V when everything is said and done. When I was testing the module with no load, the hotplate temerature went up 3C as I dropped the fan voltage to 7V.

You can see the cold plate probe in the insulation picture. The hot plate probe is in the middle of the plate just between the corner edges of the TRUEs

Using 12730 TECs at 9.2V, you should be pulling about 18A with a 50C hot side and 50C differential. That's a heat load of about 160W from the TEC itself. The other data you provided suggests you are pumping about 50W with each TEC, for a total heat load of 210W per TEC.

Based on what I can see from other performance reviews, the TRUE has a thermal resistance of about .1C/W with a good fan, so with 210W load, I would expect a 21C rise above ambient. You indicated the probes were at 23.5C with no power, so if we take that as ambient, we would expect the hot side at 45C, so your second test seems about right.

But if the comments by the other posters about the capacity of the heat pipes are correct, then you may be approaching the max for those coolers. I think that you might not be able to put much more heat load on - but I don't have that cooler so I really can't verify experimentally.

This data also suggests the CPU heat load is only 100W - otherwise you would see a bigger heat rise. Your first test had a 60C differential, and with your voltage, you could only have been moving 70W or so and achieve that differential.

All in all your work is impressive, and certainly very pretty. Getting close to 0C is an achievement, and you can play with TEC size and voltage if it turns out you need more cooling with different CPU settings. That would also give you a way to see how close to the edge you are with the coolers - if you increase the voltage and the heat runs way up or the differential does not increase, you may be at the limit.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 05-01-2008 at 01:52 AM.

Xtreme Addict
    That's the best TRUE setup I've ever seen! Great work, Sir.
    Current: AMD Threadripper 1950X @ 4.2GHz / EK Supremacy/ 360 EK Rad, EK-DBAY D5 PWM, 32GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Vega 64 Wave, Samsung nVME SSDs
    Prior Build: Core i7 7700K @ 4.9GHz / Apogee XT/120.2 Magicool rad, 16GB G.Skill 3000MHz DDR4, AMD Saphire rx580 8GB, Samsung 850 Pro SSD

Intel 4.5GHz LinX Stable Club

Crunch with us, the XS WCG team

Quote Originally Posted by Utnorris View Post
    I must have missed the answer, but how much power is required for that TEC?
    Thanks,
    Utnorris
    Power Consumption ~= 2 x 9.2V x 18A = 331.2W
    Last edited by scifikg; 05-04-2008 at 01:49 PM.

Xtreme Member
    im going to do something like this with a 168W TEC.
    Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.60GHz 1.42v
    ASUS Maximus IV Extreme w/ 3604 BIOS
    MSI N780GTX Lightning @ 1254/6502 w/ 331.40 BETA
    2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws-X F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH @ 1600MHz 7-8-7-24-1T 1.6v
    Corsair AX1200 1200W
    Samsung 840 PRO 256GB SATA III (OS)
    Corsair Force GT 120GB SATA III (GAMES)
    Creative Sound Blaster Z w/ Corsair Vengeance 1300 Headphones
    Max Keyboard Durandal G1NL Red Backlit Mechanical Keyboard
    SteelSeries Sensei Fnatic Edition w/ Razer Goliathus Speed Edition (Large)
    ASUS VG278H
    Windows 8 Professional 64-bit
    Corsair Obsidian 800D
    EK Supreme HF Acetal/Nickel + XSPC RX240 w/ 2x GentleTyphoon AP-15 + XSPC X2O 750 Reservoir/Pump + PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD + XSPC
    1/2" ID, 3/4" OD Compression Fittings

One small suggestion. I would try to eliminate as much heat transfer as possible to the cold plate. One way to achieve this is to insulate the clamping bolts. Why not try some plastic transistor insulating mounts and some slightly smaller diameter bolts. The plastic mounts could insulate both plates.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast