Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1781

Thread: My Dual Harper - Asus Z7S WS living review *56K warning*

version 2.0
    STEvil,

I'm trying to reply on your thread at the Asus forum.
    So far haven't been able to login there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    STEvil,

Hey STEvil
    I will also reply on your thread, just have to get my exams over today
    Z7S WS#2
    2 x Xeon E5420 3GHz
    4 x 2GB CSX 800mhz FB DIMMS
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Quadro FX 3700
    300GB Velociraptor

Quote Originally Posted by angelshonnny View Post
    Hey STEvil
    I will also reply on your thread, just have to get my exams over today
    ... and? did you pass
    Asus Z7S WS
    2 x Xeon L5410@3.0
    4 x 2 GB FB-DIMM 800mHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Club3D 4670 GPU
    Adaptec 5805
    2x Samsung 750GB Raid0
    6x WD RE3 1TB Raid5
    Watercooled (Alphacool 360, X2O 750)

c[_]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaco View Post
    STEvil,

Is Taymans from here or elsewhere?

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

version 2.0
    that's me (I wanted to choose another screenname )

Problems with Adaptec RAID Controllers?

Hi Guys,

My fanout SATA cable just arrived for my 2405 so I hurredly but carefully set it up. The problem is, I can't get the Adaptec to work at the same time as the onboard controller. Is it normal that they are mutually exclusive? When I go into the mobo BIOS, the primary boot device is 'Hard Drive', the RAID arrays on the Intel controller no longer show. If I try to boot (my boot array is still on the Intel) I cannot...

I have mine plugged into the white x16 mechanical slot.

I see some of you have Adaptec controllers - has anyone else had problems like this? I eventually want to install Windows on the Adaptec, but this has kind of thrown me out a little. Also, I thought Adaptec controllers run natively under Linux without special drivers, but this doesn't seem to be the case?

Regards

Andrew
    My Workstation:

Asus Z7S Motherboard
    2 x Intel L5420 Xeon 2.5Ghz - Overclocked to 3.3GHz, currently underclocked to 2.0GHz
    2 x Kingston 800MHz 4GB FB-DIMMs
    Microsoft 7 64-bit, Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    1 x Adaptec 2405 Hardware RAID Controller 128MB RAM, 800MHz Dual core processor
    2 x OCZ Core 60GB SSDs in RAID 0 - 280MB/s Sequential Read with 0.2MS access times!!!
    1 x WD Caviar Green 1TB
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 6950
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 5450
    1 x Benq G2400WD 24" Widescreen TFT
    Watercooling System for CPUs and Northbridge
    1 x Antec TruePower Trio 650w Power Supply
    Thermaltake Armor Case with Optional Side Fan

Total System PassMark PerformanceTest Score v6.1 - 5007.9 @ 3.08GHz

Xtreme Cruncher
    if you set the sata ports to IDE/achi, does it work then, or will it do the same thing??
    Asus Z7s WS
    2 x5450 Xeon @ 4.015ghz
    Quad channel DDR2 FBDIMM 8GB
    2 ATI 4850 1gb in Crossfire
    4 250gb SataII in Raid0
    1TB SataII
    Sata DVDRW
    BluRay-Rom
    Windows Vista Ultimate x64/OSX Leopard 10.5.5(Video cards dont work correctly)

IDE works, haven't tried AHCI yet. It's good to know I have a fallback, but it looks as though I'll have to put my other RAID array on the Adaptec as well, I had hoped to keep the other two ports free for more SSDs...

Will try AHCI in a few minutes, what are the main differences, pros & cons etc?
    My Workstation:

Asus Z7S Motherboard
    2 x Intel L5420 Xeon 2.5Ghz - Overclocked to 3.3GHz, currently underclocked to 2.0GHz
    2 x OCZ Core 60GB SSDs in RAID 0 - 280MB/s Sequential Read with 0.2MS access times!!!
    1 x WD Caviar Green 1TB
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 6950
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 5450

Need help

Hi all, I just got this motherboard and I can't seem to get it to boot. I am using 2 x E5430's but cannot seem to get my motherboard to boot. I get an F.F. code. I have all the electrical 3 electrical plugs in and am using a Thermaltake 850watt PS. These 2 chips were working fine on an Intel Skulltrail which I moved 2x QX9775's on. I am a little disappointed that I am stuck with using LGA 771 coolers, unlike the Skulltrails LGA 775's and to be honest had I known that I would have just gotten another Skulltrail. Somehow I was curious about Asus dual socket since I use Asus motherboards a lot.

Does anyone know what the FF code is?

Thanks in advance

Wuf
    Well if your cpus are E0 stepping flash newest bios.
    Otherwice dead mobo...
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Quote Originally Posted by Madman666 View Post
    ... and? did you pass
    And now I have 3 weeks holiday Just got this damn thing going again after I pulled the plug after the exams yetsterday( Vista didn't want to shut down, again). When I switched it on this evening, I got a message at post saying 'CPU changed remember to check out the settings' Haven't touched the damn CPU. Driving me Another strange thing. When I checked the stepping of the xeons on the net before I installed them, it showed E0 stepping, but CPU-Z shows C0. What's that all about, or was it just me that checked or read wrong?

and then the muliplier on processor #2 is 6? I have loaded defaults in BIOS. Maybe the CPU is ?
    Last edited by angelshonnny; 01-19-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Z7S WS#2
    2 x Xeon E5420 3GHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Quadro FX 3700
    300GB Velociraptor

Quote Originally Posted by s0lid View Post
    Well if your cpus are E0 stepping flash newest bios.
    Otherwice dead mobo...
    I am not sure what stepping E5430's are, but I just received the motherboard today from ANT and I am guessing it must have the very latest BIOS. The thing is I cannot even get a post to be able to upgrade the BIOS. Seems like an unbelievably stupid thing for Asus to ship a board in 2009 that can't support a processor that Skulltrail supported in early 2008.

Anyway will non Xeon dual core or quadcore processor work? Or does it have to be a Xeon processor?

Thanks

Wuf
    Quote Originally Posted by spiro View Post
    I am not sure what stepping E5430's are, but I just received the motherboard today from ANT and I am guessing it must have the very latest BIOS. The thing is I cannot even get a post to be able to upgrade the BIOS. Seems like an unbelievably stupid thing for Asus to ship a board in 2009 that can't support a processor that Skulltrail supported in early 2008.

Anyway will non Xeon dual core or quadcore processor work? Or does it have to be a Xeon processor?

Thanks
    Well you can't put LGA775 cpu into LGA771 socket, physically impossible.
    You can always take the IHS off and check cpus stepping.

If it says:
    SLANU = C0, mobo fckd up.
    SLBBK = E0, It's time to update bios.

For an example:
    http://xs330.xs.to/xs330/08351/dsc_0188771.jpg

Stepping code reads on the middle line :]
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Thanks
    Hey spiro, where do you live? I know that one of the guys on this forum live in the USA, and he got Asus to overnight him a BIOS chip with the 0401 BIOS on it. If I can remember correctly, it cost him 25$. The chip is removable, if you didn't already know that. And no, mine didn't have the latest BIOS, it has only been released on 24.10.2008(0401 here:http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us). So the most of the boards that are at the resellers at this moment, probbably still have the old BIOS, unless they sell many of these, wich I doubt.
    Last edited by angelshonnny; 01-14-2009 at 02:20 PM.
    Z7S WS#2
    2 x Xeon E5420 3GHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Quadro FX 3700
    300GB Velociraptor

Quote Originally Posted by komseh View Post
    I live in the US... I was talking with tech support and they transferred me to the "BIOS" department. I had to pay $25 to have it overnighted.

I'm pretty frustrated with Asus too. If the first tech wouldn't have told me that the BIOS chip was not removable we could have avoided a lot of wasted time with the RMA.

Edit: Oh also everything is working great now... except I can't get my USB devices to show up. One of the devices is receiving power but not working.
    Quote Originally Posted by s0lid View Post
    Well you can't put LGA775 cpu into LGA771 socket, physically impossible.
    You can always take the IHS off and check cpus stepping.

If it says:
    SLANU = C0, mobo fckd up.
    SLBBK = E0, It's time to update bios.

For an example:
    http://xs330.xs.to/xs330/08351/dsc_0188771.jpg

Stepping code reads on the middle line :]
    Just found it, it was komseh. Don't know if they would be that kind in other countries as well. They definately are NOT that kind in Scandinavia
    Good luck dude
    Z7S WS#2
    2 x Xeon E5420 3GHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Quadro FX 3700
    300GB Velociraptor

Back from the Dead
    Hey spiro, where do you live? I know that one of the guys on this forum live in the USA, and he got Asus to overnight him a BIOS chip with the 0401 BIOS on it. If I can remember correctly, it cost him 25$. The chip is removable, if you didn't already know that. And no, mine didn't have the latest BIOS, it has only been released on 24.10.2008(0401 here:http://support.asus.com/download/dow...Language=en-us). So the most of the boards that are at the resellers at this moment, probbably still have the old BIOS, unless they sell many of these, wich I doubt.
    Actually I am 99,9% sure there is not a single Z7S coming out of the factory that ships with 0401 bios. Asus NEVER ships mobos with the latest bios, this is a mass product company remember - not like DFI or Biostar, where you usually get your mobo with the latest beta bios installed
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

c[_]
    Agree jcool.

I think we should be taking them to the cleaners..

All along the watchtower the watchmen watch the eternal return.

Thanks for the info. Although I am not in the US right now I do have a mailing address there so I can ship there and will be transferred to me. I find it incredible that shipping BIOS is not updated for a processor that was out almost a year ago. I will try to find someone here who has a similar motherboard as I have hotswapped BIOSes quite a few times with no problems. Or at least see if someone has an older Xeon 771 CPU. Otherwise I would appreciate the address where I can buy a BIOS chip that has 401. Has anyone tried to see what BIOS chip it is using, I am thinking maybe I can use an older motherboard with similar chip to hotswap the BIOS once booted and then use the opportunity to write a new BIOS on it. So long I get a post then at least I can do something, that should work in theory.

Also I would greatly appreciate help in trying to get good air or water coolers for these E5430's. On my Intel Skulltrail they were running very happily at 3.2Ghz with one notch up on voltage using Blue Orbs. I had bought 2 even better air coolers, but I laughed when I tried to fit them on. God I miss my Intel Skulltrail.

I send a technical request to Asus:
    Problem Description]
    The BIOS is a pain. The 401 (latest BIOS) does accept the new Xeon's but is very UNstable. Meaning:
    1. When put the Mobo to sleep (S3) it wakes up with a reset bios (having all default settings again).
    2. When rebooting sometimes it thinks you had a bad overclock, and resets the BIOS to default settings.
    3. No settings possible for VTT voltage?!
    4. The bios freezes when you change any settings and THEN try to access the Hardware Monitor settings.
    To avoid this you have to go to the HM settings FIRST and then do all other settings.

Asus is really not scoring points the way they are handling their support on this HIGH-END board !
    It's a shame such a board has to do with such a pittyful BIOS. Hope this will change
    soon....

Thnx in advance.
    Their reply:
    I have requested this to be tested and verified, I expect the results within 2 days. After this I can tell you more about wich BIOS features can be changed or not.

with kind regards,
    TSD@Asus
    Keep u posted
    I urge everybody to send a technical request (or in other words: formal complaint).
    SPAM THOSE LAZY BA....
    Last edited by Madman666; 01-15-2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Asus Z7S WS
    2 x Xeon L5410@3.0
    4 x 2 GB FB-DIMM 800mHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Club3D 4670 GPU
    Adaptec 5805
    2x Samsung 750GB Raid0
    6x WD RE3 1TB Raid5

Back from the Dead
    Want another Asus horror story? Ok then, here it goes.

As you know, I RMAed my Z7S around 7 weeks ago with my distributor, who had to send it in to Asus (obviously, since it has a blown PWM).
    Today I got it back, saying "Warranty replacement done by the manufacturer".
    So I took a good look at it and was quite sure that this was exactly the one I sent them. "Well, they might have fixed the blown PWM or something" were my initial thoughts on this. While checking out the board, I noticed scratches and dents that weren't there before. Also some thermal grease was on the mobo and a few solid states were bent badly to the side.

So I quickly set it up on the table with one of my E5420's, one stick of ram and sure enough.. straight FF, as well as the same coils still emiting their strange whining noises. So - same board, nothing fixed, more broken than ever before. ANd that's what I get for a 7 week wait

I am calling my distributor tomorrow and give em hell, especially since I got a 2nd Z7S in the RMA pipe (Jaco's). If they screw me over on both accounts I lose 800 €. Needless to say I will threaten to change my supplier if they don't get me a new board or a refund - interested to see if they are willing to risk the 100000€ turnover I made with them in 2008 over this issue
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Also I would greatly appreciate help in trying to get good air or water coolers for these E5430's. On my Intel Skulltrail they were running very happily at 3.2Ghz with one notch up on voltage using Blue Orbs. I had bought 2 even better air coolers, but I laughed when I tried to fit them on. God I miss my Intel Skulltrail.
    I'm running L5420s with a pair of these:

http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp...ROD&ProdID=210

They come with the universal bracket for socket 771, I just had to get them angle ground to fit around the stock chipset cooler, any decent metal workshop can do that for a trivial amount of money. I did take some photos of my setup but I can't find them now, I'll have to take some more and upload them...

I'm running 30c +/- 3c at idle and I think the temps can go up to the high 30's under full load (i.e. all cores loaded), I don't recall seeing them hit 40 unless I'm gaming, in which case my overclocked 3870 is also dumping a lot of heat into the loop. My CPUs are overclocked to 3.1GHz - 414FSB x 7.5.
    My Workstation:

Asus Z7S Motherboard
    1 x WD Caviar Green 1TB
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 6950
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 5450

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post

As you know, I RMAed my Z7S around 7 weeks ago with my distributor, who had to send it in to Asus (obviously, since it has a blown PWM).
    So I took a good look at it and was quite sure that this was exactly the one I sent them. "Well, they might have fixed the blown PWM or something" were my initial thoughts on this. While checking out the board, I noticed scratches and dents that weren't there before. Also some thermal grease was on the mobo and a few solid states were bent badly to the side.

So I quickly set it up on the table with one of my E5420's, one stick of ram and sure enough.. straight FF, as well as the same coils still emiting their strange whining noises. So - same board, nothing fixed, more broken than ever before. ANd that's what I get for a 7 week wait

I am calling my distributor tomorrow and give em hell, especially since I got a 2nd Z7S in the RMA pipe (Jaco's). If they screw me over on both accounts I lose 800 €. Needless to say I will threaten to change my supplier if they don't get me a new board or a refund - interested to see if they are willing to risk the 100000€ turnover I made with them in 2008 over this issue
    Sorry to hear, I too would be really PIS...OFF !
    If I ever need to return my board I will secretly mark mine
    Asus Z7S WS
    2 x Xeon L5410@3.0
    4 x 2 GB FB-DIMM 800mHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Club3D 4670 GPU
    Adaptec 5805
    2x Samsung 750GB Raid0
    6x WD RE3 1TB Raid5

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post

Sorry to hear, I too would be really PIS...OFF !
    If I ever need to return my board I will surely note down my serial number, did you check that or did you not note your serialnumber?
    Maybe you have it on photo (used to make your review)?
    Asus Z7S WS
    2 x Xeon L5410@3.0
    4 x 2 GB FB-DIMM 800mHz
    Tagan 1100-BZ
    Club3D 4670 GPU
    Adaptec 5805
    2x Samsung 750GB Raid0
    6x WD RE3 1TB Raid5

Back from the Dead
    I didn't have to mark it.. one PWM coil makes very specific noises when turned on, so what I got back is my dead mobo without a doubt.

Here's the shots of my LCS, the close up shot shows where I had the waterblock brackets cut & ground to fit.

My Workstation:

Asus Z7S Motherboard
    1 x WD Caviar Green 1TB
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 6950
    1 x XFX Radeon HD 5450

Page 51 of 72 FirstFirst ... 414849505152535461 ... LastLast