Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dual Harper - Asus Z7S WS living review *56K warning*

version 2.0
    ... Quad FX now that's a complete joke , just ask Alucasa.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Pure :banana::banana::banana::banana:

Does it beat Dave's clover machine?
    Thermaltake Xaser 3 V2000a ALU
    Phenom x4 905e
    4G ddr3
    Ati radeon HD 4850 sapphire
    OCZ Vertex turbo 30G

Xtreme Guru
    this needs vcore adjustment badly. thanks for the review.
    STARSCREAM
    3570k @ 4.6 GHz | Asus P8Z77-V LK | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM | ASUS GeForce GTX550 Ti
    Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Corsair Force GT 120GB | SK hynix 128GB | Samsung 830 64GB
    WD Black 640GB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i
    Corsair AX750 | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 | Antec P280 | Dell Ultrasharp U2410 | BenQ XL2420T
    ROCCAT Savu | Filco Majestouch-2 TKL w/Cherry MX Reds
    MEGATRON
    3770k @ 4.5GHz | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
    SK hynix 128GB | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 60GB | WD Red 3TB (4) | Seagate 7200rpm 3TB (2)
    WD Green 2TB (3) | Seagate 7200rpm 1TB | Dell Perc H310 xflashed to LSI 9211-8i (2)
    Corsair AX650 | Corsair H80i

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    ... Quad FX now that's a complete joke , just ask Alucasa.
    Yeah, I know, a Q6600 will beat it out while costing less, but DAMN it looks sexy! Dual-processor mobos = :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by Blauhung View Post
    Have you tried running the board without the BSEL mod at the default 1333FSB, does the memory run at 667 or 800? It was my understanding that the board would read the SPD and set the 5:6 ratio to hit 800 on the memory, but with the BSEL mod it would set the 1:1 ratio to run at 800. I could be mistaken though.
    Why would I need to BSEL mod the CPUs? FSB can be set from 333 to 500 in 1Mhz increments, like it says in my review.

And no it always runs the mem 1:1. But that is not the problem... like I said, FSB 430, memspeed 860, Memtest pass

Running stock speeds changes nothing, it's even slower. So it's not related to overclocking.
    I have been working all day (12h+) now so I didn't get a chance to try further... but I wrote Asus tech support and I'm gonna call their head office tomorrow

This board could be sooo awesome but right know, it's nothing but a bad joke.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

i am waiting for new bios , maybe tomorow its the day that will come form asus , finaly someone from asus reply to my email .. This board will have the same story just like Tyan Thnder K8WE for my opinion , old great days for Opteron overclocking power

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_eller View Post
    Yeah, I know, a Q6600 will beat it out while costing less, but DAMN it looks sexy! Dual-processor mobos = :banana::banana::banana::banana:.

Eller
    Definately. That's the only reason I would get it. From a pure crunching standpoint, it would be a bad choice, which is why I'm going to build a Kentsfield rig instead. But d@mn, Quad FX sure does look sexy!

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by klajd View Post
    i am waiting for new bios , maybe tomorow its the day that will come form asus , finaly someone from asus reply to my email .. This board will have the same story just like Tyan Thnder K8WE for my opinion , old great days for Opteron overclocking power
    I sure hope they get their asses moving with that new bios.
    Because other than that ed-up bios, this board seems to rock.
    I am currently running memtest @ FSB 450 and it's lookin good so far

Not even the full 1,4V on NB yet...

Also my CPUs seem to rock... how many quads that run 3,37Ghz/450 FSB with 1,17V Vcore and 1,08V VTT in dual mode do you know
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

ODOC
    Sweet workstation for sure...

Would love to play with a dual socket 771 system...

Keep tearing it up.

Back from the Dead
    Damn, it sucks for crunching, too. 2 hours passed and only 34% done. That makes 8 HCC WUs in 6 hours which is just not acceptable for a setup like this. Hell, my Q6600 can crunch 8 WUs in 5 hours max.
    Whatever, I'll keep bugging Asus until they release a working bios.

One good thing though: power consumption is very low, currently needs 203W with BOINC running. Only one 2,5" HDD and no real GFX card though, but also very inefficient PSU (Cooltek 600W which has 75% efficiency at best)

Run Lola Run... Pay for eight , and run for three ....This is a real comparision for Z7S-WS... Asus team maybe wait Skull for sale, to relase the new bios .
    Waiting for the Sun ( like The doors )

Back from the Dead
    I really don't know what you're talking about, but Skulltrail is already being sold.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    I really don't know what you're talking about, but Skulltrail is already being sold.
    LOL, Yea, he confused the hell out of me too!
    Looking at your system, it looks like the basics are there and strong,just some bios tweaks needed.
    I think your going to be very happy with it once the small stuff is sorted out.
    One thought: have you tried the memory in different slots?
    Not saying you have it place wrong but maybe some experimentation and see if any inprovement.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Back from the Dead
    Thanks movieman, I'll try that (currently using slots 1 & 3)
    I am not optimistic this will help though, since many other people with the same mobo have contacted me by now, and they all have different ram combinations using different slots. QuadChannel seems also not to work which I don't know yet, using only 2 dmms.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I'd guess you'll need four dimms to get quad channel working.

sleepin is overrated
    really nice rig there jcool i do hope you get your problems sorted out

there is a lot of untapped power lurking there just waiting to be unleashed.

Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread.. but i am wondering

Did you turn off Snoop Filter in the bios to see if you get a performance boost?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hmm just out of curiosity, does this motherboard comply with ATX standards or does it follow a completely different standard? AKA are the holes for the screws the same as those on an ATX board (standoff points)? Will it fit in a standard ATX compatible case?

Hmmm other then that. real cool setup man. Hopefully ASUS will squeeze out those refined BIOS out to the public soon!
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by fungry View Post
    Will it fit in a standard ATX compatible case?

it will fit in the an atx-case!
    E2160 @ 360x9, max 390x9 watercooled
    GA-P35-DS3
    Cellshock D9GMH @ 545mhz cl5-5-5-5-15
    Palit 7300gt 500/1000 @ 780/1600 watercooled

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by redmodel View Post
    Sorry, I haven't read through this whole thread.. but i am wondering

Did you turn off Snoop Filter in the bios to see if you get a performance boost?
    Just look at the bios screens on page 1, there is no such option. Disabling HW prefetching and something called "adjacent line prefetching" both brings a little boost, but still awfully bad overall performance.

I called Asus tech support yesterday and they said they didn't know about performance issues with this mobo yet... like hell they don't. Anyway, I was told to fill out a form and add some screenshots, which I did. They will be forwarding the information to taiwan and work on a solution, the tech guy assured me.

Well, if they take too long it goes into RMA.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Hope that isn't the case jcool That is if I get to see the light of day for this board's true capability.
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

[QUOTE=jcool;2911208]Just look at the bios screens on page 1, there is no such option. Disabling HW prefetching and something called "adjacent line prefetching" both brings a little boost, but still awfully bad overall performance.

QUOTE]

I have the exact same issue with my Asus DSEB-DG board with 2x e5450.
    When I disabled Snoop Filter, the computer was running okay again.

I guess they just left that settings out in the bios.

I'm just haven't been impressed with Asus' s771 boards. I hope there put mroe support into this bios over the board I got since this board have more sales.

You think I can fit the HR-05 SLI/IFX on NB without having to cut the HR-01-X?

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...#compatibility
    Last edited by redmodel; 04-11-2008 at 07:26 AM.

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by redmodel View Post

You think I can fit the HR-05 SLI/IFX on NB without having to cut the HR-01-X?

http://www.thermalright.com/new_a_pa...#compatibility
    I think the normal HR-05 might fit. The SLI probably won't (hits ram banks)
    Let me know if if you try

Xtreme Member
    Hi Jcool, do you have any update about performance of this board?

I have this board coming in now (although my first choice was skulltrail).

I'm getting the HR-05/IFX NB cooler too. I'll see if I can get that and the two HR-01-X on the board at the same time without any modding.

I'm pretty positive the snoop filter will be fixed on this board. Because once reviewers get their hands on it and see the terrible performance. I'm sure Asus will take notice.
    Last edited by redmodel; 04-12-2008 at 11:54 PM.

Page 4 of 72 FirstFirst 12345671454 ... LastLast