Page 1 of 72 12341151 ... LastLast

Thread: My Dual Harper - Asus Z7S WS living review *56K warning*

Back from the Dead

My Dual Harper - Asus Z7S WS living review *56K warning*

Long overdue edit:

Do NOT buy this motherboard. It's design (probably the VRM circuitery) is flawed in such a way that it will inevitably die if you stress it for a longer period of time (for example with crunching). NO amount of cooling, caution, etc will help you here. Not even running stock Vcore will prevent your system from experiencing an untimely death. Believe me, I have tried (3 or 4 times now).

Attention: If you bought this motherboard and it comes with 0116 bios, scroll down to the bios section of this post and update to the recommended bios before you do anything else! Use EZFlash and any USB Stick, works fine. If you do not update the Bios, you'll be suffering from incredibly bad performance. This is due to the "Snoop Filter" option, so make sure that after updating, you set "SF Bypass" to "enabled".

Also note: You NEED an EPS capable PSU, meaning you HAVE to connect both an 8pin and a 4pin 12V power connector to the mobo. If any one is missing, the Z7S will NOT post if populated with 2 CPUs. For 1 CPU, the 8 pin is enough.

Hello again fellow maniacs

As some might already know, I am expecting the Asus Z7S WS Workstation-Mobo to arrive at my house tomorrow.

Update: It’s here

Packaging front:

Back:

Lots of accessories:

However, the FBDimm ramcooling fan wasn’t in the retail package… and it’s not on the manual’s list either.It does say “optional” somewhere in the manual though, so you might be able to buy it somewhere 

Shots of the mobo:

Shots of Buffalo FBDimm installed:

Those heatspreaders are a bit wide I’m afraid, but it’s ok for now.

First run:

One word on the GFX, I couldn’t find my trusty Matrox PCI card, and the only spare PCIe I have is my broken X1900XTX. Use to love that card, when it just died one day while surfing the web 
    It still works, just not in 3D mode. And it produces lots of coloured pixels.
    So please just ignore the red dots in the following bios screens…

Features:

- Dual S771
    - Intel "Seaburg" Chipset, FSB1600
    - ATI Crossfire support w/ 3x PCIe x16 (two of them PCIe 2,0 contrary to Skulltrail)
    - 6 Ramslots for up to 32GB of system memory, DDR2-800 support (FBDimms only)
    - standard ATX form factor, passive heatpipe cooling with mounting holes to fit watercooling (I hope)
    - more to come

Bios Options:

MCH, Vdimm and even SB Voltage as promised, but no VTT and no Vcore

FSB up to 500 in 1Mhz increments

NB and memory temperature, nice (even seems to be halfway accurate)

Even has Asus OC profile.

So, what’s missing:

1. Vcore!!! Probably only with new bios, or EE CPUs only <--- available with Bios 0401
    2. VTT
    3. Any and all memory-related settings, there are no timings, no divider, no nothing

Bios versions:

0116 - initial Bios, sucks performance-wise, can't d/l it anywhere for a reason

0201 - fixed performance issues by allowing to enable the "SF Bypass" option, now shows individual temps for every ram installed, download here
    0302 - slightly improved performance, FSB spread spectrum removed, some other minor changes, download here
    0401 - fixes issues with E0 step CPUs, adds Vcore setting for each CPU individually, range 0,44-1,6V in fairly small increments, current/recommended bios, download here
    0501 - seems to improve the bios reset issues that most people are having with manually set Vcore, download here

Pics powered by www.highend-computer.de
    Last edited by jcool; 11-09-2009 at 09:51 AM.
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Best of luck!
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    Awesome.

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

of the Strawhat crew.
    That's really awesome Jcool! Good luck with it!

XtremeSystems BF3 Platoon - Any XS member is welcome.

Xtreme Legend
    What form factor is that board? You might have trouble fitting those Thermalrights next to that NB heatsink.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Back from the Dead
    Thanks @ all!

Quote Originally Posted by jcool View Post
    - standard ATX form factor
    Really SB, you need to start actually reading threads

I know it's gonna be tight, but it'll fit. If not, screw air - two EK Supreme will always fit
    World Community Grid - come join a great team and help us fight for a better tomorrow![size=1]

Xtreme Legend
    Thanks @ all!

Really SB, you need to start actually reading threads

I know it's gonna be tight, but it'll fit. If not, screw air - two EK Supreme will always fit
    Sorry, I missed that. But I do not appreciate your sarcasm. Not very classy on your part. Fortunately, there is the Ignore function. Hasta la vista.
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

Back from the Dead
    Erm... that was purely meant to be a joke. (How would you have taken it if MM would have written that exact same sentence? ) Sorry if it came across the wrong way, as it wasn't my intention.
    Last edited by jcool; 04-06-2008 at 04:31 PM.

LOL. C'mon guys. Relaaax
    Last edited by [XC] riptide; 04-06-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Back from the Dead
    I guess some people get pissed off real easy
    Nothing I can do here, I apologized and stated it wasn't meant to be an attack or something, just a lame joke.

Now if SB choooses to ignore me, I can't do anything against that. Just makes me sad

Anyway, I'm off to bed now, since it's already 2:30 AM here.

Hamster Powered
    Erm... that was purely meant to be a joke. (How would you have taken it if MM would have written that exact same sentence? ) Sorry if it came across the wrong way, as it wasn't my intention.
    Movieman and myself go at each other in jest but it is always a fine line to walk. If we did not know each other so well I would never try it. S-B is the "Class" part of our team and he works very hard for us. I know that you did not mean ill.

Edit: My apologies to jcool for responding, it was not my place to do so. Consider this a formal apology.
    John
    Last edited by SiGfever; 04-06-2008 at 05:17 PM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Coat It with GOOOO
    I believe the Seaburg chipset does not have the chipset registers needed to choose memory dividers in BIOS. It's not that it's limited to 1:1, just limited to the ratios dictated by the SPD settings of the RAM you are useing. For those here that would be using this though, you are most likely going to BSEL mod anything you put in it to the 1600FSB which makes the high performance 800MHz memory work at 1:1.

I haven't read up enough on it to draw conclusions, but I believe we are currently chipset limited to around 425, and not memory limited, but correct me if i'm wrong.

And Sierra, give him another chance. I know I personally have unintentionally offended people all the time while trying to be clever and funny
    Main-- i7-980x @ 4.5GHZ | Asus P6X58D-E | HD5850 @ 950core 1250mem | 2x160GB intel x25-m G2's |
    Wife-- i7-860 @ 3.5GHz | Gigabyte P55M-UD4 | HD5770 | 80GB Intel x25-m |
    HTPC1-- Q9450 | Asus P5E-VM | HD3450 | 1TB storage
    HTPC2-- QX9750 | Asus P5E-VM | 1TB storage |
    Car-- T7400 | Kontron mini-ITX board | 80GB Intel x25-m | Azunetech X-meridian for sound |

Back from the Dead
    Mornin' guys... "Good" news for you: I seem to have caught the flu overnight, which means I am not a work. And I also think the mobo just arrived, so I'm gonna crawl down there real quick... lol

Oh and Sigfever... don't worry. You are right, no need for you to apologize (enough apologizing done in this thread anyway).
    Last edited by jcool; 04-07-2008 at 02:03 AM.

Diablo 3! Who's Excited?
    Woohoo! Looking forward to seeing what you wrangle out of this guy.

Xtreme Cruncher
    You thought your motherboard had arrived, so rather than running to the door like a kid at Christmas (like I do when I get a package ), you decided to finish your post? What kind of person are you?

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    /me = jealous

i'm not supprised that Movieman was the first to reply... i think he has a dual harper thread sniffing nose

My Free-DC Stats
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    /me = jealous

i'm not supprised that Movieman was the first to reply... i think he has a dual harper thread sniffing nose
    Nah, he just has nothing better to do then sit here on the WCG forum and hit F5 every 10 seconds

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    wow man. how much did those xeon processors cost?
    me > staring at the horizon for good 45nm quadcores!

having said that... are reasonable oc socket 771 mobos expensive?
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

Back from the Dead
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_eller View Post
    You thought your motherboard had arrived, so rather than running to the door like a kid at Christmas (like I do when I get a package ), you decided to finish your post? What kind of person are you?

Eller
    Naw... I'm sick here, remember
    I must've slept for 10 to 11 hours or so... GF picked up the package earlier this morning

Anyway, just uploading pics and rewriting thread - will need a while though so be patient, I'm working as fast as I can (while drinking herbal tea, uah)

Xtreme Cruncher
    Exactly, you're sick, not dead I know if I had something like that board waiting for me at the door it'd take nothing short of a broken leg to keep me from running there

Eller

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by Origin_Unknown View Post
    /me = jealous

yup.. can smell them from a continent away!
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_eller View Post
    Nah, he just has nothing better to do then sit here on the WCG forum and hit F5 every 10 seconds

Eller
    You been peeking again?
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    "servus" jcool. the next german member in the crunching section. very nice stuff you got there. cant wait to see some numbers.

are you posting it on tualatin?

greetings from reutlingen!
    E2160 @ 360x9, max 390x9 watercooled
    GA-P35-DS3
    Cellshock D9GMH @ 545mhz cl5-5-5-5-15
    Palit 7300gt 500/1000 @ 780/1600 watercooled

Back from the Dead
    There you go folks... pics are UP, all you could possibly want for now

Xtreme Cruncher
    DUDE THAT IS SO HAWT AND SEXEH!!!!! hahahaha
    Apple MBP 15": Intel T9400 (2x2.53GHz) | 2x2Gb DDR3 1066 | 9400M + 9600M GT | 250Gb 7200rpm
    Wish List: Return to desktop for some crunch action.

I am on... QuadCaine.

Xtreme Addict
    I knew it had overclock settings , to bad it lacks some options
    Nice pictures, but i see lots of artifacts in the bios
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!