Thread: question about an older board

Xtreme Cruncher

question about an older board

I recently built a new computer for myself and want to take my old pc and overclock the piss out of it, well I at least want to see how high I can get it on air. I'll be running am amd 64 fx-55 on an asus a8n32 deluxe board. My question is basically are the nb and sb cooling solutions sufficient for this thing? I was thinking of cutting the heat pipe and nb cooler out of it entirely and putting one of these in its place:

I would maintain the sb block with its heatpipe to the mosfet cooler. This would just sit underneath the heatpipe on the nb

The jury is still out for me on a cpu cooler, though im leaning towards the ninja copper just for the looks of it. This rig, once stable will be my htpc

TIA

Xtreme Addict
    Are these enzotech's heatsinks?
    The FX has it's multy unlocked correct ? if so there "should not"
    be much stress to the NB & SB if you OC with the cpu multi.
    I've never had that board however,input from an (ex) owner
    should help

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Cruncher
    It was learning that the multi was unlocked on this chip that made me start thinking to OC it. Its not the original chip actually. My boss traded me my original 3500 that was on this board for the fx-55. How can you resist that trade!?

And yes this is the enzotech. As far as other cooling goes, I'm trying to keep the cpu as passive as possible, so I'm anticipating a little extra heat than normal inside the box.

Xtreme Cruncher
    please more input!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by pwolfe View Post
    please more input!

Go with what you have "in hand" check the temperatures and add (or not)
    what's needed?

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.