Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Phenom 9850 Black Edition on NEWEGG!

Xtreme Mentor
    Wiggy, put that 5000BE back in there an see if it still works...

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet the Mobo PMW failed with the Phenom... BE's require alot of power, not sure the BioStar 770 can handle a Phenom...
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Yah seriously doubt you killed the cpu . maybe but highly unlikely!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    The TA770 can handle ALOT compared to other 770's it is the TF560 that has less Phase and only (4pin for CPU) that id worry about!.. Heatsinks on those FET's will help .I would only run 9850BE in a Mobo with 8pin/24pin...

Do a Cmos Clear maybe remove reinstall ram i bet it resets..Test one stick out at a time too...youd be suprized what little glitches Phenoms have besides the Mobo...Youve probally tried everything in the book...I do know The IMC can trigger errors/restarts even a locked PC/no bios boot...Running to High of MHZ with stock volts and then throw in a power dip from the good old Mobo/PSU and whamo

restart.

I hope your chips Ok....Worst case its probaly the L3 power phase on the 560...that will definatly affect the timing/ ram/ no boot Led on for Ram.
    Last edited by gOtVoltage; 04-12-2008 at 11:07 PM.
    "AMD...Like the perfect Storm,...Everything needs to be just right"
    X555x4SuperCore@4450mhz@1.64v..........

RYZEN 7 1800x/ ASUS ROG STRIX VEGA64/ =EK NICKEL WB, Feser THC 2x360 1x480
    X470 Gigabyte Aorus7, Patriot 3400mhz 16gb dual2x8
    SSD Samsung 970pro,,860EVO

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Daveburt714 View Post
    Wiggy, put that 5000BE back in there an see if it still works...

I could be wrong, but I'd be willing to bet the Mobo PMW failed with the Phenom... BE's require alot of power, not sure the BioStar 770 can handle a Phenom...

it was with the dfi 790fx M2R. second phenom 9850 that died right now im thinking its the board. Both boards work with a 5000+ BE but the 9850's are stuck on C1 on the dfi and memory error with the biostar. tried numerous sticks of ram that all work with the 5000+. both were stock volts one was oc'ed but both died when loading everest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manicdan View Post
    real men like the idea of packing lots of stuff into a very small space, which is what the mac mini is
    ----------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Davis View Post
    PS. I'm even tougher IRL.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    it was with the dfi 790fx M2R. second phenom 9850 that died right now im thinking its the board. Both boards work with a 5000+ BE but the 9850's are stuck on C1 on the dfi and memory error with the biostar. tried numerous sticks of ram that all work with the 5000+. both were stock volts one was oc'ed but both died when loading everest.
    I'm the owner of that 790FX Phenom-killer. Took mine after a few hours, stuck in C1, tried Ballistix and TeamGroup. No other AM2 board to try the Phenom in, I'm going to try mounting my 5000+ soon to check. 2.0 volts on the memory, but the memory was very warm.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggy McShades View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MotF Bane View Post
    I'm the owner of that 790FX Phenom-killer. Took mine after a few hours, stuck in C1, tried Ballistix and TeamGroup. No other AM2 board to try the Phenom in, I'm going to try mounting my 5000+ soon to check. 2.0 volts on the memory, but the memory was very warm.
    My 9500 also died on the first day in that mobo. DFI support says tools like Sandra/Speedfan can cause the bios to be corrupted, which results in C1 errors.
    I got the bios working again with an BE2400 and had no problems with an 9600BE and an 9850BE so far, but the 9500 did not yet post and i tried three different boards. As C1 errors are memory related i guess it's the IMC on the cpu whom stopped working.
    I'd recommend bios versions 130/307 or 331 on the DFI M2A and be carefull with those low IO accesing tools like Sandra/Speefan/Evereset. Best is to run only one of those at a time.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by justapost View Post
    My 9500 also died on the first day in that mobo. DFI support says tools like Sandra/Speedfan can cause the bios to be corrupted, which results in C1 errors.
    I got the bios working again with an BE2400 and had no problems with an 9600BE and an 9850BE so far, but the 9500 did not yet post and i tried three different boards. As C1 errors are memory related i guess it's the IMC on the cpu whom stopped working.
    I'd recommend bios versions 130/307 or 331 on the DFI M2A and be carefull with those low IO accesing tools like Sandra/Speefan/Evereset. Best is to run only one of those at a time.
    So, basically, low level I/O tools corrupt the BIOS, and when it corrupts, it breaks the CPU in the process. I just tried my 5000 BE though, and the board shifted into 88 code. Back it goes, and I'm gonna try to get rid of the thing permanently.

Xtreme Addict
    Can you take the 9500 back for exchange? Should have the 3 year warranty.
    Maybe try that "freezing" method KTE used to "revive" his phenom.

They sell this "dustbuster" which is Compressed air in cans) in North America,which blows C02 (I think)under high pressure,to get the dust out of togh to reach places,anyway if you flip the can and blow it you'll get a -50C "freeze".If it sells in Europe maybe you could try it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6053.jpg 
Views:	348 
Size:	3.5 KB 
ID:	76602  

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Any ideas on what would be the best board for a 9850 Black Edition? DFI is not the answer, although it seems like a lot of the 9850 owners have them.

Xtreme Addict
    Any ideas on what would be the best board for a 9850 Black Edition? DFI is not the answer, although it seems like a lot of the 9850 owners have them.
    Like I said (somewhere here ) I've been looking for a 790fx for
    a long long time,then it hit me:why not ask the devil itself?
    So I went to AMD site, which only "recommends" 2 boards:MSI k9a2 v1
    & the Asus790fx (check revision)
    Msi was my choice a few month ago already, but could not get it in Canada
    until a week or so ago So I picked one up.

Plus (a big one ) thats what KTE is using and he's like a walking Phenom database,one of a kind too

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
    Can you take the 9500 back for exchange? Should have the 3 year warranty.
    Maybe try that "freezing" method KTE used to "revive" his phenom.
    Had the CPU in the fridge at ~-15° tried to mount em as quick as possible just placed the HSF on em, but it did not work.
    I will try to RMA that thing once B2's are no longer available. Maybe i get an 9550.
    Quote Originally Posted by SocketMan View Post
    They sell this "dustbuster" which is Compressed air in cans) in North America,which blows C02 (I think)under high pressure,to get the dust out of togh to reach places,anyway if you flip the can and blow it you'll get a -50C "freeze".If it sells in Europe maybe you could try it?
    Interesting tip i think we have similar cans at work for keyboard clearing purpose.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Have not had issue one with mine with 2 phenoms now Knock on wood
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Addict
    So, basically, low level I/O tools corrupt the BIOS, and when it corrupts, it breaks the CPU in the process.
    Well I did not seak to DFI but it was reported from two users here whom called that lowel level I/O can corrupt the bios. In this case flashing the bios chip helped. Will it break the cpu? I don't know. In my case it can also have been high voltages and high temps or that low IMC hight RAM voltage thing which occured few times short after B2 release (never heard of that again). I'll try to rma that thing(9500) in the future maybe amd can figure out if it was my fault or not.
    I just tried my 5000 BE though, and the board shifted into 88 code. Back it goes, and I'm gonna try to get rid of the thing permanently.
    At 88 code flashing the cmos by pressing reset and power buttons on the mobo always helped.

Xtreme Cruncher
    At 88 code flashing the cmos by pressing reset and power buttons on the mobo always helped.
    Thanks for the suggestion, but nothing changed.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234