Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Thread: Could B3 Phenom be the rebirth of AMD....+1000MHZ OC done!

Xtreme Guru
    What is the date of the BIOS you are using?
    Last edited by SKYMTL; 04-03-2008 at 06:43 PM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonspd View Post
    if I may ask have you tried fsb clocking this thing at all yet

ok alittle early but still me wonders if 300+ or around 350 is gonna be doable.
    AMD dont user Front Slow Bus , they use HyperTransport

Xtreme Mentor
    Good goin' Tony. Lets hope mine is going to be just as friendly on air

That Cinebench is pretty impressive. Very close to Q6600 perf. but that's because of Phenom scaling with speed.

And that NB speed is also quite impressive. I'm looking at plus 15k Sandra there. My B2 did 2596MHz max on NB benchable.

Quite a shocker, 1G oc is quite respectable even compared to K8 and mainly because no one [incl. me] expected it off Phenom. But B2 on water did reach and many benched 2.9-3G.

MotF Bane: the value you're looking at is VID rather than voltage. Look at CPUZ for voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpingJack View Post
    Unfortunately, no.... core temps are not reproted from the DTS on phenom, only from the analog package sensor, and it is not calibrated:

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/howitworks.html .
    Jack, this is one of the most misunderstood features of Phenom that I and Achim have clarified before a few times. Let me explain it again.
    AMD Family 10h Processor BKDG (>page 110)
    2.10 Thermal Functions
    Thermal functions HTC, STC and THERMTRIP are intended to maintain processors temperature in a valid range by:
    • Providing an input to the external circuitry that controls cooling.
    • Lowering power consumption by switching to lower-performance P-state or.
    • Sending processor to the THERMTRIP state to prevent it from damage.

The processor thermal-related circuitry includes (1) the temperature calculation circuit (TCC) for determining the temperature of the processor and (2) logic that uses the temperature from the TCC. The processor includes a thermal diode as well. [KTE: TCC circuitry uses an independent calibrated diode to the rest of the diodes - try shutdown for instance]

2.10.1 The Tctl Temperature Scale
    Tctl is the processor temperature control value, used by the platform to control cooling systems. Tctl is accessible through SB-TSI and F3xA4[CurTmp]. Tctl is a non-physical temperature on an arbitrary scale measured in degrees. It does not represent an actual physical temperature like die or case temperature. Instead, it specifies the processor temperature relative to the point at which the system must supply the maximum cooling for the processor’s specified maximum case temperature and maximum thermal power dissipation. It is defined as follows
    for all parts:
    • For Tctl = 0 to Tctl_max - 0.125: the temperature of the part is [Tctl_max - Tctl] degrees under the temperature for which maximum cooling is required.
    • For Tctl = Tctl_max to 255.875: the temperature of the part is [Tctl - Tctl_max] degrees over the worst-case expected temperature under normal conditions. The processor may take corrective actions that affects performance or operation as a result, such as invoking HTC or THERMTRIP_L.

2.10.2 Thermal Diode
    The thermal diode is a diode connected to the THERMDA and THERMDC pins used for thermal measurements. External devices use measurements from the thermal diode measurements to calculate temperature during operation and test. These measurements are required to be adjusted as specified by F3xE4[DiodeOffset]. This diode offset supports temperature sensors using two sourcing currents only. Other sourcing current implementations
    are not compatible with the diode offset and are not supported. A correction to the offset may be required for temperature sensors using other current sourcing methods.

The default value of the HTC temperature threshold (Tctl_max) is specified in the Power and Thermal Datasheet. [KTE: or read F3x64 [HtcTmpLmt]
    Basically, they're not temps in degrees you're seeing, they're Tcontrol values and can read negative at idle. They are perfectly fine in calibration, they are designed to read lower and higher than actual temps but Tctl_max corresponds to actual Tcase_max temp for the core and that is where throttling begins (HTC activation). However, Tctl curve is not linear to actual core temp so attempts to work them out can become utterly futile.

The only thing you need to know is, the diode temp you're referencing is read by EVEREST/MB utilities as "CPU" but the values AOD/tools report for each core are Tctl values in degrees. When it reaches the Tctl_max, the processor will assert HTC or THERMTRIP_L by default and either change P-States to cause throttling and VID decrease (thereby voltage) or gate the clocks (shutdown system).

Xtreme Member
    Awesome results Tony!

I can't wait to get my grubby little hands on one of these!
    Hope AMD keeps getting them better.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Tony, can you make a wPrime 1024 MT run?

Xtreme Mentor
    Very Impressive Tony!!

Looks like that might actually be stable at 3Ghz near stock V's....

I'm still leary about cranking the voltage on Phenoms, but If they'll do 3.0 around 1.3v's I'll buy one!!

Who am I kidding... I've already been looking.
    Can't find any in the US yet....

Keep the benchies and tweek experiences coming man, and thanks for your contributions.
    AMD FX-8350 (1237 PGN) | Asus Crosshair V Formula (bios 1703) | G.Skill 2133 CL9 @ 2230 9-11-10 | Sapphire HD 6870 | Samsung 830 128Gb SSD / 2 WD 1Tb Black SATA3 storage | Corsair TX750 PSU
    Watercooled ST 120.3 & TC 120.1 / MCP35X XSPC Top / Apogee HD Block | WIN7 64 Bit HP | Corsair 800D Obsidian Case

First Computer: Commodore Vic 20 (circa 1981).

Xtreme Legend
    good to see some half decent clocks

shame about no comparison to intel
    it makes no sense
    but what the heck good to see quad cores do 3.2GHz at least
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia
    Need a GIGABYTE bios or support?

Xtreme Member
    The 3d06 cpu score isn't looking bad at all, good stuff

The fact you don't compare with intel or run pi is pretty funny. Why let people's comments on the internet bother you?

Phenoms seem to scale more than intel as the clock goes up so it would be interesting.. Your hardware your decision anyway i guess

Keep us posted

Regards

Xtreme Addict
    Wow a lot can happen in a day!
    Great job Tony
    I know most people cant wait to get a B3 BE,but I can't wait
    for AMD's 45nm

P.S.
    Can someone explain this SPI obsession that so many fsb lovers
    have? Why not memory bandwidth for example?

World Community Grid's mission is to create the world's largest public computing grid to tackle projects that benefit humanity.
    Our success depends upon individuals collectively contributing their unused computer time to change the world for the better.

Xtreme Member
    He posted Cinebench and 3DMark06 CPU score. I can easily compare the results with Intel stuff. (Of course keeping in mind that AMD scales better in Cinebbech, and that Tony hasn't had a lot of time to play with the CPU)

Can't you?

Or does 'comparison' mean Super Pi by definition? I can guess that part, too. Even @3.5GHz Phenom won't likely break 20 secs/1M. There, you have it. If you want the best Pi times, you should look into Intel CPUs and motherboards. Phenom sucks in Pi calculation and I don't think that's too hard to figure out.

Now, let's get this Pi-this Pi-that out of this thread please. If that's only thing that matters, wait a few days - like Tony says, perhaps someone else will do it.
    I don't check my PMs very often.

Xtreme Member
    How does one make love to fsb? I don't think there's enough room to fit a penis.

You should both chill lol, PI on these should be faster than their predecessors, and scale alot more with the clock, which is what I'd like to see. I was grateful he posted a 3d06 cpu score, and it looks good.

Again, I don't want to see phenom do 5sec pi1m, I want to see how a 3g+ phenom improves the computing time versus a stock one, and compare it with intel. In fewer words, i want to see how it scales. Get it? Yeah.

If he doesn't wanna run it, as i said, tough luck. It's his hardware afterall, I'll wait along.

*note to self, mention pi in an amd thread if you want to be flamed

Xtreme Addict
    The problem is, if you run pi on it, it's not a good look at anything. We all know that pi doesn't do as well on AMD, and it is in no way any indicator of real world performance-therefore it really has no place in the benchmarking world. If it scaled the same for both processors it would be closer to a fair deal, but it does however show us the differences in such as IPC and how efficient the clock scaling is, and is therefore a tool-but as a valid benchmark, I don't see it. Not something as obviously biased toward the intel side.

Tony, excellent work, I'm glad to see that I didn't waste effort and money tuning up this MSI system for B3 Phenom. When the wife says I can do it, I'll be adding one to my roundup as well...

Can you show us any other benches, NOT pi, and possibly at closer to 3.5?

Xtreme Legend
    what the heck are you guys talking about. SuperPi is the best software for testing RAM/system efficiency.

you guys are missing the point about requests for superpi

stop being fanboys

this has nothing to do with that. it is a simple comparison. it shows relative differences between AMD line of CPUs and also Intel Core2 platform

we all know Intel dominates this benchmark. That's not why everyone is asking FFS. Tony posts everest results....that software is a lot more useless than anything else

why is Tony stubbornly ignoring requests. What's the big deal. I hate everest and sisoft sandra crap but if sooo many ppl asked me to post some results with it including fugger i would install and show these ppl those requested results.........if nothing else i'd do it to not look rude
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

Xtreme Addict
    Personally, I no longer even install the stupid benches. Most of the time I don't find the scores indicative of gaming performance, and I really would rather be playing games than watching my computer do endless runs of a benchmark program. Show me a CPU-Z of it at 3.5 and running a game flawlessly, and I'm perfectly content. Because, in the end, that's why I buy this stuff and abuse it. That, and to feed my case modding obsession.

I understand that not everyone shares my view. I wouldn't want them to. Different viewpoints make this place fun, but just remember that my viewpoint has a place just as well as the superpi supporters.

And as for not benching, you know, if he has limited time I'd rather see him pull up 3.5 to stable than waste time on spi and settle for a slower clock.

It's his hardware and let him run what he wants. If he doesn't want to run the stupid thing who cares get over it.
    MSI K9A2 Platinum Bios v1.3 | AMD Phenom 9500 | G.Skill DDR2 1000 @ 1066mhz | ATI HD3850 | Vista Ultimate

the jedi master
    Gentlemen

I work for OCZ, I am not a reviewer, our partners are Intel and AMD, now while Intel are not real bothered about what I do with Core and like me to compare, AMD are a little more sensitive.

So, you will not be seeing comparisons from me, i will be doing them but for my own enjoyment and no one else.

So I will post one side only, this being Phenom in this thread, if you wish to compare go search for Intel benches and brows them side by side with the results you see here....its the best i can do.

When you work within the industry and you are a massively public person you have a whole new set of rules to play by...i hope you all can understand this.

T
    Got a problem with your OCZ product....?
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Tuning PC's for speed...Run whats fast, not what you think is fast

Xtreme Addict
    No problem with it here. I just appreciate the fact that you're willing to share what ya got. If I want comparos, I have both platforms here.

Xtreme Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    Gentlemen

I work for OCZ, I am not a reviewer, our partners are Intel and AMD, now while Intel are not real bothered about what I do with Core and like me to compare, AMD are a little more sensitive.
    ok understood
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

the jedi master
    From now, I will just ignore post for comparisons, if things get heated i will just hit the report button.

So guys read what i post and don't skip important info
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    From now, I will just ignore post for comparisons, if things get heated i will just hit the report button.

So guys read what i post and don't skip important info

Everyword!
    "Angels on the sideline, Puzzled and amused.
    Why did Father give these humans free will?
    Now they’re all confused."

9850(JAAFB AA 0810BPAW), DFI 790FX M2RS(3/05 Bios), G.SKILL 2 x 2GB 1T-5-5-5-15, OCZ 600, MINI NINJA, WD SE16 AAKS 320, HIS3850, bluegears b-Enspirer, Vista 64

Xtreme Mentor
    One quick question Tony. Are you running benches with C'n'Q ENABLED or DISABLED?

Thanks
    RiG1: Ryzen 7 1700 @4.0GHz 1.39V, Asus X370 Prime, G.Skill RipJaws 2x8GB 3200MHz CL14 Samsung B-die, TuL Vega 56 Stock, Samsung SS805 100GB SLC SDD (OS Drive) + 512GB Evo 850 SSD (2nd OS Drive) + 3TB Seagate + 1TB Seagate, BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W

RiG2: HTPC AMD A10-7850K APU, 2x8GB Kingstone HyperX 2400C12, AsRock FM2A88M Extreme4+, 128GB SSD + 640GB Samsung 7200, LG Blu-ray Recorder, Thermaltake BACH, Hiper 4M880 880W PSU

SmartPhone Samsung Galaxy S7 EDGE
    XBONE paired with 55'' Samsung LED 3D TV

the jedi master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightman View Post
    One quick question Tony. Are you running benches with C'n'Q ENABLED or DISABLED?

Thanks
    Disabled
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

the jedi master
    Well managed to get 3.4GHZ reasonably stable. Issues are I was benching 3.3GHZ last night and hit 14000 so I am unsure as to how consistent 3Dmark 06 is at this time...but anyway...here is the bench.

NB speed is around 2.4GHZ, as you see HT speed is 2GHZ
    Last edited by Tony; 04-04-2008 at 04:46 AM.
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Xtreme Legend
    wonder if these chips can handle dice temps as some previous revisions that macci mentioned in the past
    Team.AU
    Got tube?
    GIGABYTE Australia

the jedi master
    Read back man, phase has been tested and coldboot issue was in place.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...&postcount=123
    Have a look over here
    Tony AKA BigToe

Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast