Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

Thread: Innovation Cooling's Diamond 7 TIM test results

Hamster Powered
    Count me in for the test strip.

I think after seeing the "Pea" sizes used that I will pull the mount tomorrow to confirm spread pattern. The MX-2 had an even spread pattern (should have taken a picture), so if the D7 was not applied properly for this TIM the testing won't be fair and accurate.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    I found some pricing - Not too bad, sold by the square foot or roll - sq ft $57.00 IHS is what ? 1.2-1.3 inches? I can cut it up and send it out. Probably 2 per mount in case somebody has a misfires on the first one.

So how much is everybody going to need?

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by tastymannatees View Post
    I found some pricing - Not too bad, sold by the square foot or roll - sq ft $57.00 IHS is what ? 1.2-1.3 inches? I can cut it up and send it out. Probably 2 per mount in case somebody has a misfires on the first one.

So how much is everybody going to need?
    I am only doing the test on one Q6600.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Xtreme Member
    what I would like to do if possible is scan the tested result and then post along with the tested thermal results for that particular configuration which will make it easy to compare.

If I don't get enough out of this group I'll revisit a couple of the other giveaways to expand the sample I need at least 20 to 30

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    what I would like to do if possible is scan the tested result and then post along with the tested thermal results for that particular configuration which will make it easy to compare.

If I don't get enough out of this group I'll revisit a couple of the other giveaways to expand the sample I need at least 20 to 30
    I have 13 potential candidates.....all quads. Coolers are, 7 Fuzion blocks, one TRUE, and 5 Zalman 9700s.

(Side note - I really love the TRUE!! What a cooler. I won't go back to 9700s after trying one out. I just wish it was 3/8" shorter. Hard to get it in rackmount cases.)

Bob
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    I would say minimum of 2 pieces. I would like to see the mounting preassure of the fuzion and my 6002 but still have not got the new quad put in and the e6600 out side to test yet. I will be able to get that done by the end of the week I am thinking.

it all depends on how many test you want I guess because like bob here he can put it on 13 chips so say 1 per chip and 1 or 2 extras just in case of a mess up
    Last edited by littleowl; 04-05-2008 at 09:33 PM.

Xtreme Member
    A spectrum of results is good, good bad indifferent, same sink, same block whatever. And if you have a scanner handy to scan the results would be helpful.

It would be nice to generate some charts Pressure vs performance - pressure vs Cure time and maybe tag some sinks with the better pressure/mounts.

Hamster Powered
    Update: 04/06/08
    11:30:00

* Keep in mind that my WB is slightly Convex.

TIM Spread Pictures:

New "Pea":

Last edited by SiGfever; 04-06-2008 at 08:14 AM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by David_L6 View Post
    I just thought I was going to put the Diamond 7 to a tough test today - a QX6700 that runs hot no matter what I do. So.... I shut down the computer with the hot running QX6700 (my "main" computer), replaced the AS5 with the Diamond 7. Fought with that !#@$ TRUE. Finally got it all back together. Wouldn't boot up.... Long story short - I had 4 sticks of Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1000 (2X1GB and 2X512MB) die at the same time. Now I'm running 1GB (2X512MB) of non Ballistix Crucial DDR2 ??? (800 I think) and instead of being clocked at 3.55GHz the QX6700 is clocked at 3.2GHz. There's a hit on my WCG output for a couple to few weeks.

It's definitely time to get in touch with Crucial. I now have 8 sticks of Ballistix that are dead. In addition to the 4 sticks mentioned above I also have 2 sticks of Ballistix DDR2-1066 and 2 sticks of Ballistix DDR2-800 that are dead.
    Sorry to hear about your D9 disaster .
    What's up with D9 being dead after a reboot? I've had a set go bad like that too.

all outta gum

Count me in please! I'm testing on 3 systems (1x Kentsfield, 1x Conroe, 1x Wolfdale)

Quote Originally Posted by [XC] Jaco View Post
    Sorry to hear about your D9 disaster .
    What's up with D9 being dead after a reboot? I've had a set go bad like that too.
    It may have something to do with the heat: as long as they are hot they will work, when they cool down - no boot.
    Last edited by G.Foyle; 04-06-2008 at 08:04 AM.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Member
    So how do you mail a pressure sensitive film?

I assume if you just put it in an envelope between two pieces of cardboard just going through a mail sorter or just the weight of other mail on top of it in the bottom of a truck might activate it.

Xtreme Cruncher
    now that is a good question
    I would guess you would need something to put it in that will not flex in at all like a box so to speak

all outta gum
    Maybe put it in a small tube (like a box for photographic film)
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by xoqolatl View Post
    Maybe put it in a small tube (like a box for photographic film)
    but when you roll it you could make lines that would set off the pressure change because your putting it under some pressure.

Wuf
    Could somebody post me link to european webshop which sell these?
    You use IRC and Crunch in Xs WCG team? Join #xs.wcg @ Quakenet
    [22:53:09] [@Jaco-XS] i'm gonna overclock this damn box!
    Ze gear:
    Main rig: W3520 + 12GB ddr3 + Gigabyte X58A-UD3R rev2.0! + HD7970 + HD6350 DMS59 + HX520 + 2x X25-E 32gig R0 + Bunch of HDDs.
    ESXI: Dell C6100 XS23-TY3 Node - 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    ZFS Server: Supermicro 826E1 + Supermicro X8DAH+-F + 1x L5630 + 24GB ECC REG + 10x 3TB HDDs + Brocade 1020 10GbE
    Lappy!: Lenovo Thinkpad W500: T9600 + 8GB + FireGL v5700 + 128GB Samsung 830 + 320GB 2.5" in ze dvd slot + 1920x1200 @ 15.4"

Xtreme Member
    Looks like small box is the ticket.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    A thin CD case may also work. Then that can be placed in an envelope.

It has to hit 28 PSI in order to activate. I would think it really is a problem to send the micro-pressure stuff. It's only takes .2 PSI to set that off.

Another idea...When you place your order, ask SPI how they ship their samples. That should provide the answer.

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

Mr. Boardburner
    I would love to help. From time to time I have the impression that my standard CNPS mounts aren't really applying a lot of pressure.
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Cruncher
    i've been following this thread and just made a purchase with petra's for some D7 and Shin-Etsu X23-7783D to do some comparing with my AS5. when i have results i'll post em here. also made a request for some trial pressurex, we'll see what happens. i'll find out how my lapping is on my hsf and ihs.

i'll be testing on my x2 4200 cooled by a thermalright ultima 90, possibly trying my 7900GS vid card. may try it on my p4 2.8 laptop which idles at 50C and using the tv tuner its 60-70C, no theres no dust either.
    XS WCG Rules: #1: don't pull fart_plume's finger #2: Dave aka Movieman, don't give him your phone number if you like your hearing
    XS WCG Note: There are 2 sets of points, WCG and Boinc. WCG = 7x Boinc

Project: Dark Matter (<- link) - Asus Maximus II Formula, Intel X3330 3.4ghz @1.32v under load, corsair ddr2 1066 8gigs, evga gtx260 core 216, pc p&c 750W, EK Supreme HF Nickel, iandh 175 res, Swiftech MCP355, Black Ice GTX G2 240, Lian Li v1200b

silverstone tj07 build log

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    A thin CD case may also work. Then that can be placed in an envelope.

It has to hit 28 PSI in order to activate. I would think it really is a problem to send the micro-pressure stuff. It's only takes .2 PSI to set that off.

Another idea...When you place your order, ask SPI how they ship their samples. That should provide the answer.

Regards,
    Bob
    I'll browse Staples next week and find something CD cases should work.

Hamster Powered
    Update: New application of TIM

04/06/08
    21:20:00
    Ambient 22.6c
    Cure time: approx. 8.75hrs

Idle:
    Core 0: 34
    Core 1: 30
    Core 2: 34
    Core 3: 31

Load:
    Core 0: 45
    Core 1: 43
    Core 2: 45
    Core 3: 44

Last edited by SiGfever; 04-06-2008 at 06:04 PM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Hmmm, I started a cure test with one of my machines which was re-shuffled parts from my prior reports. This one is an IP35 Pro, Q6600, TRUE machine.

D7 applied, reasonable pea size, pic below.

Idle temps
    CT idle 30,31,28,28
    Ambient 22.6

Load (BOINC) temps
    CT load 42,45,40,43
    Ambient 22.6

I ran for 2.5 days and got the following....

Load (BOINC) temps
    CT load 46,49,44,46
    Ambient 24.4

Allowing for 2 degree ambient change, I got a 1 degree rise. Decided to rip off the sink and here's what I found.....

CPU side

TRUE side

How I managed to get it like this, I don't know. I pushed straight down on it, with no twisting. As we all know, it's not easy to put on the TRUE screws, but I usually start on one side, then start the cross side screw. Then I start the other corner's screws. When I get them all started, I crank a couple turns on each one in a cross pattern until they bottom out.

Hmmmmm

I took the opportunity to throw some AS5 on and try that out for a couple of days. Healthy pea blog, straight down with the sink, no twist, no squish. Here's some initial data on that. I'll update this post as it goes.

AS5 Idle temps
    CT idle 33,34,31,31
    Ambient 23.9

AS5 Load (BOINC) temps at 3.5 hours runtime
    CT load 44,48,44,44
    Ambient 23.5

Note, here my initial D7 data wins by a degree....We'll see how she cures. Then I'll go back to D7 with a slightly bigger blob.

So, it is possible for me to miss-apply this stuff somehow........

Bob
    Last edited by 123bob; 04-06-2008 at 05:57 PM.
    Go Here, Or Here

Hamster Powered
    Hmmm, I started a cure test with one of my machines which was re-shuffled parts from my prior reports. This one is an IP35 Pro, Q6600, TRUE machine.

D7 applied, reasonable pea size, pic below.

Idle temps
    CT idle 30,31,28,28
    Ambient 22.6

Load (BOINC) temps
    CT load 42,45,40,43
    Ambient 22.6

I ran for 2.5 days and got the following....

Load (BOINC) temps
    CT load 46,49,44,46
    Ambient 24.4

Allowing for 2 degree ambient change, I got a 1 degree rise. Decided to rip off the sink and here's what I found.....

How I managed to get it like this, I don't know. I pushed straight down on it, with no twisting. As we all know, it's not easy to put on the TRUE screws, but I usually start on one side, then start the cross side screw. Then I start the other corner's screws. When I get them all started, I crank a couple turns on each one in a cross pattern until they bottom out.

Hmmmmm

I took the opportunity to throw some AS5 on and try that out for a couple of days. Healthy pea blog, straight down with the sink, no twist, no squish. Here's some initial data on that. I'll update this post as it goes.

AS5 Idle temps
    CT idle 33,34,31,31
    Ambient 23.9

AS5 Load (BOINC) temps at 3.5 hours runtime
    CT load 44,48,44,44
    Ambient 23.5

Note, here my initial D7 data wins by a degree....We'll see how she cures. Then I'll go back to D7 with a slightly bigger blob.

So, it is possible for me to miss-apply this stuff somehow........

Bob
    Bob,

I did the same thing as you can see in the above post. I have never had this issue when applying MX-2, it always spread even across the CPU and block. After this current "blob" has one week of run time 24/7 I will pull it again and reinspect the pattern.
    Last edited by SiGfever; 04-06-2008 at 06:07 PM.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    Bob,

I did the same thing as you can see in the above post. I have never had this issue when applying MX-2, it always spread even across the CPU and block. After this current "blob" has one week of run time 24/7 I will pull it again and reinspect the pattern.
    Yup, I see that. Curious how cleanly we missed areas....
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Member
    Yup, I see that. Curious how cleanly we missed areas....
    Maybe that's where the twist came in at Anandtech. If you start on one side it might tend to push the paste in the opposite direction and give an uneven spread. Do you remember which side you started on?

I've got a busy week this week but if I find time I'll see if I can model it with a glass slide and a heat sink tomorrow.

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast