Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Thread: Innovation Cooling's Diamond 7 TIM test results

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    I have an off question for Tasty, where does magesium lis an the thremal chart in relation to copper and diamond?

The reason i'm asking is I have access to it and was considering making a hs of it.

I'll have temps some time tomorrow or friday. I've been watching the temps on the Opteron all day under load and idle. I'll change the mount inthe morning and watch it all day.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Here's a list of the elements sorted by thermal conductivity, worst to best:

http://environmentalchemistry.com/yo...c/thermal.html

Diamond, while being carbon, is a special matrix thereof. Magnesium is actually not that great. Sorry.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    @Bob,

@Tasty,

What is the cure time for this TIM? I want to give it a fair chance before I pull it to inspect the spread pattern.
    Thanks,
    John
    I don't always know as much as I think I know.

When I test in the lab on a test I am always at optimmum 90-100 psi. and what I see is a drop of 1-2C after two hours then maybe 1/2 C overnight then stabilizes.

I tried it on a few after market sinks with loadings in the 40-60lb range in systems with similar result and did not think it would be an issue. Recent Beta testing giveaways some people report back 48- 72 hrs, week later and announce another 2C-3 drop. So the time component probably is related with pressure and heat and varies some depending on the combined factors

From memory I believe that Intel recommends something like 43lbs +/-10lbs with a max board loading of around 70lbs. I would assume
    from the Intel spec much under 30lbs and you will would not have enough to flatten the IHS, Actually having just filed a cut for a thermocouple recently I am surprised 40LBS does it.

I have run some cursory tests with glass slides and some uncalibrated binder clips. Cold (room temp) and maybe 15- 20lbs perclip typical paste takes about 1 to 2 min. to reach a pretty good spread with 2 clips about 30 sec with four. I took a mic to the glass and checked spread. With ICD7 maybe 5 min. with the 2clip and about a min with the 4 clip configuration. @ 50C ICD7 flows well.
    So the scenario should be some spread when cold and a more rapid spread as it heats up balancing out or seeking the bondline thickness with adequate pressure. Colder systems may take a little longer.

To answer your question fire it and see what happens. if it seems high let it set for a day or so and see if trends downwards.

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by tastymannatees View Post
    I don't always know as much as I think I know.

When I test in the lab on a test I am always at optimmum 90-100 psi. and what I see is a drop of 1-2C after two hours then maybe 1/2 C overnight then stabilizes.

I tried it on a few after market sinks with loadings in the 40-60lb range in systems with similar result and did not think it would be an issue. Recent Beta testing giveaways some people report back 48- 72 hrs, week later and announce another 2C-3 drop. So the time component probably is related with pressure and heat and varies some depending on the combined factors

From memory I believe that Intel recommends something like 43lbs +/-10lbs with a max board loading of around 70lbs. I would assume
    from the Intel spec much under 30lbs and you will would not have enough to flatten the IHS, Actually having just filed a cut for a thermocouple recently I am surprised 40LBS does it.

I have run some cursory tests with glass slides and some uncalibrated binder clips. Cold (room temp) and maybe 15- 20lbs perclip typical paste takes about 1 to 2 min. to reach a pretty good spread with 2 clips about 30 sec with four. I took a mic to the glass and checked spread. With ICD7 maybe 5 min. with the 2clip and about a min with the 4 clip configuration. @ 50C ICD7 flows well.
    So the scenario should be some spread when cold and a more rapid spread as it heats up balancing out or seeking the bondline thickness with adequate pressure. Colder systems may take a little longer.

To answer your question fire it and see what happens. if it seems high let it set for a day or so and see if trends downwards.
    With MX-2 I see the best results after one week of cure time under load. I will give your product the same amount of time before inspecting my mount. I can not test PSI of the mount but it is close to a "Hard Mount" with the springs almost fully compressed.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGfever View Post
    With MX-2 I see the best results after one week of cure time under load. I will give your product the same amount of time before inspecting my mount. I can not test PSI of the mount but it is close to a "Hard Mount" with the springs almost fully compressed.
    I could not ask for any thing more. I am getting high quality feedback here, initially it is the best so far.

PSI is beyond the scope of this effort, It is one of those things that turn up in real world testing and I am speculating as to cause and could very well be something else. Although I might try and get specs from the manufacturers and/or buy a sample of good and marginal result sinks as/if patterns develop and test them myself.

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    I could not ask for any thing more. I am getting high quality feedback here, initially it is the best so far.

PSI is beyond the scope of this effort, It is one of those things that turn up in real world testing and I am speculating as to cause and could very well be something else. Although I might try and get specs from the manufacturers and/or buy a sample of good and marginal result sinks as/if patterns develop and test them myself.
    One thing to keep in mind is that a majority of the guys here use ThermalRight Ultra Extreme(TRUE) heatsinks and to be blunt, the mounts suck but the HS itself is the best available right now.
    Mine when "on the stops" still is relatively easy to move and thats with 3/16" of washers underneath the mount in the center so the pressure on the IHS that many will have here will be lower than what you would expect.
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Okay, Here are some of the results i got so far after ~24 hours of testing with ALOT of pictures.

My setup:

Q6600 @ 3.9ghz with 1.6v
    Asus P5k Deluxe
    Watercooled with D-tek fuzion, PA120.2 etc
    Stock mounting kit with TRUE bracket

****Each mount the screws were tighten ALL the way down to make sure the TIM was spread.

BEFORE WITH AS5:
    TIM: AS5
    Duration: ~1 month
    Ambient Temp: ~20C

Idle Temps (CoreTemp):

core 0: 44
    core 1: 43
    core 2: 38
    core 3: 40

Load Temps (100% WCG Loaded) for 5 hours
    core 0: 60
    core 1: 59
    core 2: 56
    core 3: 57

This is how the mount were with AS5 after disassmble:

AFTER with IC Diamond 7

First try with grain size dot in the center:

Ambient Temp : 21C
    Same Setup and bios Configuration

Idle Temps (CoreTemp):
    core 0: 44
    core 1: 42
    core 2: 38
    core 3: 44

Load Temps (100% WCG Loaded) after 10 minutes
    core 0: 65
    core 1: 60
    core 2: 60
    core 3: 70

As you can see after ~10 minutes of WCG loaded, the load temps were out of hand, so i suspect the spread was not enough and i decide to disassemble the setup.

Second Try with straight line method

Ambient Temp 20.5C
    Same setup and configuration

Idle Temps (CoreTemp):
    core 0: 43
    core 1: 40
    core 2: 35
    core 3: 39

Load Temps (100% WCG Loaded) after ~19 hours
    core 0: 68
    core 1: 63
    core 2: 59
    core 3: 62

After disassemble the setup:

As you can see, the spread was way better than the first try and so are the temperatures.

Will update later with Third Try Pea size in the center and some aircooling testing as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is that a majority of the guys here use ThermalRight Ultra Extreme(TRUE) heatsinks and to be blunt, the mounts suck but the HS itself is the best available right now.
    Mine when "on the stops" still is relatively easy to move and thats with 3/16" of washers underneath the mount in the center so the pressure on the IHS that many will have here will be lower than what you would expect.

Some things work to my advantage and some against. Whats interesting is that good mounts, bad mounts errors in measurement etc. do average out. I can take averages of particular configurations make some power adjustments and I come within a couple of 10th's of a degree of what I see on the bench.

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Nice report Bail....good pics, nice approach on testing patterns! I'll add the best pieces of your report to my next report. I've been minimal with the pics....I like your approach here.

OK, here’s the biggie in my book. Testing against Shin Etsu X23….I’ve have had my best mounts with this paste. It can be somewhat difficult to work with, but very good…..

Specs:
    Q6600 G0 VID = 1.275
    Abit IP35 Pro bios = 14
    Gskill 2 x 1Gb regular old 800mhz stuff

Settings:
    FSB: 360 MHz
    Multi: 9x
    Core Speed: 3.24 GHz
    DRAM Ratio: 1:1
    PCI-E Clock: 100 Mhz
    Vcore bios: 1.335v
    DDR2: 1.825v
    CPU Vtt: 1.2v
    vMCH: 1.25v
    vICH: 1.05v
    ICHIO: 1.5v
    DDR2 ref: 0%
    CpuGtlref 0/2: 67%
    CpuGtlref 1/3: 67%

Readings:
    vcore "actual idle" (CPUz reading) : 1.290
    vcore "actual loaded" (CPUz reading) : 1.260

Cooling:
    CPU Block/Cooler: Fuzion - Standard install – screws cranked down very hard to the end of spring compression, then about 2 turns more. Call it a hard mount…
    Before TIM: Shin Etsu X23
    Mount age: about 6 months old.
    Paste pattern: 2 rice grains in the middle with a thin square ring around the "ditch", about 3/16 from the outer edge.

Before Temps:
    Idle-Before: CoreTemp v0.97.1
    Ambient: 26.4C

Core 0: 32
    Core 1: 34
    Core 2: 31
    Core 3: 31

Load-Before: (Boinc-all four cores @ 100%) CoreTemp v0.97.1 @6 months runtime...
    Ambient: 26.4c

Core 0: 42
    Core 1: 44
    Core 2: 38
    Core 3: 39

After Paste pattern:
    Healthy Pea size in middle. See pic below
    Mount: Screws cranked down very hard to the end of spring compression, then about 2 turns more. Call it a hard mount…

After Temps:

After Idle: Coretemp 0.97.1 @5 min runtime
    Ambient: 26.4
    Core 0: 32
    Core 1: 33
    Core 2: 30
    Core 3: 30

After Load: (Boinc-all four cores @ 100%) CoreTemp v0.97.1 @5 min load.
    Ambient: 26.4
    Core 0: 42
    Core 1: 44
    Core 2: 38
    Core 3: 39

After Load: (Boinc-all four cores @ 100%) CoreTemp v0.97.1 @4 HOURS load.
    Ambient: 24.1
    Core 0: 38
    Core 1: 40
    Core 2: 36
    Core 3: 37

My interpretation of the results….

D7 averaged 0.75C better at idle than ShinEtsu.
    D7 was the same as Shin Etsu at only 5 minutes at load.
    D7 was 0.7C better than Shin Etsu at 4 hours loaded. (this factors in the 2.3C degree change in ambient temp…)

So, my conclusion is that D7 can beat Shin Etsu. I honestly didn’t think it would…..

EDIT: Another Data Point
    Farm-04
    After Load: (Boinc-all four cores @ 100%) CoreTemp v0.97.1 @12.5 HOURS load.
    Ambient: 21.2
    Core 0: 34
    Core 1: 37
    Core 2: 32
    Core 3: 33

Ambient delta is 5.2C from "before load" to this data point. Calculating this in and doing the average across the cores, I now come up with a 1.55C improvement. So, it is improving over time, without the twist and with the heavy compression I have in this block mount. Good stuff. END EDIT

To Tasty, some “brain drizzle”.
    1. I got to thinking about the composition of this stuff. It has diamonds as micro particles and the primary heat transfer mechanism. Diamonds are a VERY hard substance. When we twist the mount, are we really screwing it up? We move particles that may have stuck into the mating surfaces, and create micro-gouges in the IHS and HS. Is this better? Should we perhaps not twist and instead apply only downward force? The squish, without the twist? I would think we want to embed the diamond crystal in both opposing sides of the mount. That is the key to diamond’s heat transfer. Transfer is across its crystalline structure. If I twist, do I stack up particles in the grooves and screw up the interface layer? My empirical tests show worse results when I really mash and twist. I blew out the mount on the first machine I reported on in this thread (farm-12). I did that to the second one as well, farm-09. This one (farm-04), I did not do that to, and I won’t. My temps on farm-04 improved over run-time….

2. The Pea size seems golden so far. My best mounts came from that.

3. I’m about to switch gears on the first three machines here. Farm-04, 09, and 12 are going to be playing musical parts for some other testing I’m doing. Therefore, their mounts won’t be able to age. What I’m thinking of doing is exactly some aging tests with them. I’ll do my swapping, record the data on each machine with D7 mounts, then let them run for a week, or month, or whatever you want to see….

4. I have 10 other quads I can test on. I’ll do them all if you want. Most of the rest are Shin Etsu x38, G751 types. I may have one or two AS5 machines. I’ll have to check their logbooks. (For the rest of my teammates, yes, I keep logbooks on each machine. I track the hardware, settings, op systems, clocks, freeze-ups, failure, swaps, etc in the books. Well worth the time to write in them. I can tell you my clocks, for any given config, using the logs….It’s hard to be an Engineer sometimes…..) The question here is on getting more samples. I can cover the 10, but may run out if you want further pattern, application, or aging tests. (And no, I'm not eating the stuff on toast. It really doesn't taste that good... I am intrigued by the bacon grease part though, still.....) I'm up to testing different compositions too. I wonder if a bit thinner, no twist, would result in better transfer. The animal you're dealing with is not like metal or ceramic based TIMs. I find this entire exercise fascinating....and yes, if Innovative profits from it, just remember your friends here at XS/WCG......

Regards,
    Bob

EDIT: This is supplied by my mass water cooler on the farm.....
    Last edited by 123bob; 04-03-2008 at 07:22 AM. Reason: another data point
    If You ain't Crunching, you ain't Xtreme enough. Go Here
    Help cure CANCER, MS, AIDS, and other diseases.
    ....and don't let your GPU sit there bored...Crunch or Fold on it!!
    Go Here, Or Here

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    I would guess that the others you've tried are your server grade stuff. Interesting comment from my perspective, since I have a lot of 9700s, which REALLY do suck, and many Fuzion blocks, which do not. I find the TRUE mount to be very good from the sample, of exactly one, that I have. Can you twist the server stuff as easily as the TRUE? As you know, I've never messed with the gear you know well. Your perspective is worthwhile here.....

What I think would be ideal is for Fuzion, or SwiftTech, to adopt or buy Thermalright's backplate. In the upcoming "musical parts" I'm going to play, I may mate the TRUE backplate to the Fuzion block. The problem with this, from the science perspective, is the number of variables I'll be changing. I don't think I can make a conclusion, unless I spend the time changing one variable at a time...

Regards,
    Bob
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 123bob View Post
    To Tasty, some “brain drizzle”.
    1. I got to thinking about the composition of this stuff. It has diamonds as micro particles and the primary heat transfer mechanism. Diamonds are a VERY hard substance. When we twist the mount, are we really screwing it up? We move particles that may have stuck into the mating surfaces, and create micro-gouges in the IHS and HS. Is this better? Should we perhaps not twist and instead apply only downward force? The squish, without the twist? I would think we want to embed the diamond crystal in both opposing sides of the mount. That is the key to diamond’s heat transfer. Transfer is across its crystalline structure. If I twist, do I stack up particles in the grooves and screw up the interface layer? My empirical tests show worse results when I really mash and twist. I blew out the mount on the first machine I reported on in this thread (farm-12). I did that to the second one as well, farm-09. This one (farm-04), I did not do that to, and I won’t. My temps on farm-04 improved over run-time….

2. The Pea size seems golden so far. My best mounts came from that.

3. I’m about to switch gears on the first three machines here. Farm-04, 09, and 12 are going to be playing musical parts for some other testing I’m doing. Therefore, their mounts won’t be able to age. What I’m thinking of doing is exactly some aging tests with them. I’ll do my swapping, record the data on each machine with D7 mounts, then let them run for a week, or month, or whatever you want to see….

4. I have 10 other quads I can test on. I’ll do them all if you want. Most of the rest are Shin Etsu x38, G751 types. I may have one or two AS5 machines. I’ll have to check their logbooks. (For the rest of my teammates, yes, I keep logbooks on each machine. I track the hardware, settings, op systems, clocks, freeze-ups, failure, swaps, etc in the books. Well worth the time to write in them. I can tell you my clocks, for any given config, using the logs….It’s hard to be an Engineer sometimes…..) The question here is on getting more samples. I can cover the 10, but may run out if you want further pattern, application, or aging tests. (And no, I'm not eating the stuff on toast. It really doesn't taste that good... I am intrigued by the bacon grease part though, still.....) I'm up to testing different compositions too. I wonder if a bit thinner, no twist, would result in better transfer. The animal you're dealing with is not like metal or ceramic based TIMs. I find this entire exercise fascinating....and yes, if Innovative profits from it, just remember your friends here at XS/WCG......

Regards,
    Bob

EDIT: This is supplied by my mass water cooler on the farm.....
    1.The Twist is something that was added recently on the Anandtech giveaway. Some members with lighter loaded sinks were having some difficulty with spreading the paste by compression alone and only had favorable results after they tried it. I use only the compression pea method. The twist should be a light 1-2. Intense twisting may introduce air bubbles(I Probably should put some slide pictures together on that).

2. Pea works well and is supported with the slide pictures. Intel recommends that the entire IHS be covered. I thought it was interesting Bail_w's contact pictures mirrored our slide pictures exactly.

3&4. As much data as I can get. same, multiple variations and Identical hardware all useful. Shin Etsu is one of the better compounds,high quality and I do not have much user data on that maybe 1 or 2 out of 80+ results so I would like to see more.

Just to note.Tower sinks and some water blocks sometimes give me(and other pastes) a problem when mounted vertical, weight of the sink, hoses can sometimes lift the sink .001-.002 on the top side and levering heavier on the downside, perhaps even deflecting the IHS some. It is a little subtle but can be detected in the contact pattern with the compound being a slightly thicker in the top side.

""""I find this entire exercise fascinating....and yes, if Innovative profits from it, just remember your friends here at XS/WCG...... '''''

We can always use working capital partners for expenses, bump us up to first class from business class on those tedious trips to China and Europe, we need to dine at better quality restaurants with our customers and stay @ some of those 5 star hotels to make a better appearance. Send all money to the following PO Box....
    Last edited by tastymannatees; 04-03-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Xtremely Hot Sauce
    And don't forget to send more thermal paste with it to us...

My toys:
    Asus Sabertooth X58 | Core i7-950 (D0) | CM Hyper 212+ | G.Skill Sniper LV 12GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | GeForce GTX 670-2048MB | OCZ Agility 4 512GB, WD Raptor 150GB x 3 (RAID0), WD Black 1TB x 2 (RAID0) | XFX 650W CAH9 | Lian-Li PC-9F | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Gigabyte EX58-UD3R | Core i7-920 (D0) | Stock HSF | G.Skill Sniper LV 4GB DDR3-1600 CL9 | Radeon HD 2600 Pro 512MB | WD Caviar 80GB IDE, 4TB x 2 (RAID5) | Corsair TX750 | XClio 188AF | Win 7 Pro x86-64
    Dell Dimension 8400 | Pentium 4 530 HT (E0) | Stock HSF | 1.5GB DDR2-400 CL3 | GeForce 8800 GT 256MB | WD Caviar 160GB SATA | Stock PSU | (Broken) Stock Case | Win Vista HP x86
    Little Dot DAC_I | Little Dot MK IV | Beyerdynamic DT-880 Premium (600 Ω) | TEAC AG-H300 MkIII | Polk Audio Monitor 5 Series 2's

XS WCG Hamster Herder
    We can always use working capital partners for expenses, bump us up to first class from business class on those tedious trips to China and Europe, we need to dine at better quality restaurants with our customers and stay @ some of those 5 star hotels to make a better appearance. Send all money to the following PO Box....
    How about a beer and a Big Mac?

Here's a bit more data. I'll add it to my report above too.

Farm-04
    After Load: (Boinc-all four cores @ 100&#37 CoreTemp v0.97.1 @12.5 HOURS load.
    Ambient: 21.2
    Core 0: 34
    Core 1: 37
    Core 2: 32
    Core 3: 33

Ambient delta is 5.2C from "before load" to this data point. Calculating this in and doing the average across the cores, I now come up with a 1.55C improvement. So, it is improving over time, without the twist and with the heavy compression I have in this block mount. Good stuff.

Regards,
    Bob

EDIT: All of my data has the mobos in the horizontal plane. I use rack mount cases in the farm, not towers.
    Last edited by 123bob; 04-03-2008 at 07:24 AM.
    Go Here, Or Here

Xtreme Cruncher
    It is very tough to spread the IC diamond TIM, i mean tough. btw, all my mounts were horizontal.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bail_w View Post
    It is very tough to spread the IC diamond TIM, i mean tough. btw, all my mounts were horizontal.
    Possible crude mounting test would be first test horizontal then rotate the board to vertical and see if your temps change. Heat pipe performance might be affected although water and stock type sinks I think would be OK.

What's awkward about this kind of testing is the minutia that emerges when trying to parse the last couple of degrees.

On OC tests the average of 45 or so ended up to be 2.8-2.9 C - Subjectively a well motivated group

Hardwarelogic with the emphasis (I assume) on the "pea" averages increased to 3.7-3.8C - A highly motivated group

Anandtech is in process with "pea" emphasis with only 8 people reporting so far ( I like 20+ for the averaging) is at 2.5C. - Highly motivated group, one user was experimenting spreading the paste with a vibrator

AmdZone which is just about finished come in at around 2.3 C with low enthusiasm, low response rate - Most on those that signed on for a free sample it was their first and sometimes their last post on the forum which is why my focus changed to the more stable, experienced dedicated Distributed computing forums.

You have to assume that different "island" community forums will have some different mixes of before compounds and equipment That will move the averages a couple of 10th's of a degree one way or another.

I would like to get the averages up a bit overall, which should be doable.The devil is the detail.

The break in or cure time I do not have nailed and I would like to be able to say something like "2 hours to 2 days depending on sink pressure" or whatever it works out to be. so some attention here would be appreciated. Thanks everybody
    Last edited by tastymannatees; 04-03-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I see that all most everyone at Anandtech who tested the IC diamond achieve improvement... hmm interesting.

Mr. Boardburner
    Possible crude mounting test would be first test horizontal then rotate the board to vertical and see if your temps change. Heat pipe performance might be affected although water and stock type sinks I think would be OK.

What's awkward about this kind of testing is the minutia that emerges when trying to parse the last couple of degrees.

On OC tests the average of 45 or so ended up to be 2.8-2.9 C - Subjectively a well motivated group

Hardwarelogic with the emphasis (I assume) on the "pea" averages increased to 3.7-3.8C - A highly motivated group

Anandtech is in process with "pea" emphasis with only 8 people reporting so far ( I like 20+ for the averaging) is at 2.5C. - Highly motivated group, one user was experimenting spreading the paste with a vibrator

AmdZone which is just about finished come in at around 2.3 C with low enthusiasm, low response rate - Most on those that signed on for a free sample it was their first and sometimes their last post on the forum which is why my focus changed to the more stable, experienced dedicated Distributed computing forums.

You have to assume that different "island" community forums will have some different mixes of before compounds and equipment That will move the averages a couple of 10th's of a degree one way or another.

I would like to get the averages up a bit overall, which should be doable.The devil is the detail.

The break in or cure time I do not have nailed and I would like to be able to say something like "2 hours to 2 days depending on sink pressure" or whatever it works out to be. so some attention here would be appreciated. Thanks everybody
    I'll see if it changes over the week
    Main rig:
    CPU: I7 920C0 @ 3.6Ghz (180*20)
    Mobo: DFI UT X58 T3eH8
    RAM: 12GB OCZ DDR3-1600 Platinum
    GPU/LCD: GeForce GTX280 + GeForce 8600GTS (Quad LCDs)
    Intel X25-M G2 80GB, 12TB storage
    PSU/Case: Corsair AX850, Silverstone TJ07

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I'm working 12 hr night shifts right now and haven't had time to fight with the TRUE's on my quads. I did try the ICD7 on an E6700 using a Zalman 9700 as that didn't take much time. After ~24 hrs the temps are running approx. 1° C cooler than with AS5 running WCG. I'll start testing on my quads this weekend.

Xtreme crazy bastid
    I'm reading this with great interest, but I notice there's no Australian distributor listed on the site. Is there going to be?

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D_A View Post
    I'm reading this with great interest, but I notice there's no Australian distributor listed on the site. Is there going to be?
    We have been more focused on the white box side of the market than the retailers. it'll happen maybe in the next month or so it just has not been an immediate priority. We will be selling a 24 carat size tube into retail that we have been only offering to OEM/system builders in the next couple of weeks, I will be interested as to how that will be received.

Xtreme Mentor

Xtreme crazy bastid
    Turns out it makes good metal polish, too.

Since I don't qualify for the trials <sniff> <wipes tear> I have a friend chasing me some down in the states.

Xtreme Cruncher
    let me explain how I did my little test. I know, I know that it really is not a great test but still gives me an idea. I put a compound on started the pc up for 5 min at idle watching temps and then loaded it for 10 min and took the temps. I only tested 4 different compounds. I have the ICD7 on the cpu now after my testing just to see how things go with it. Also keep in mind that my room temps are going to be very high because I heat by wood. Let me know if there is any other info I forget to put on here because I took all kinds of notes.

I did all test with a pea sized drop.

Specs:
    Board: ECS 680I PN2-SLI2+
    VGA: sli 8800 GTS 320mb w/ Stock cooler
    RAM: 4 GB Balistix pc2 6400

Settings:
    Stock everything.
    CoreTemp v97.1

Core Speed: Q6600 2.4ghz
    CPU Voltage: 1.24
    PCI-E Clock: stock

Cooling:
    Water loop on cpu only
    Dtek Fuzion with nozzle and pro mount
    D5 pump
    120.3 rad

Before testing starts

ceramique about 2 weeks old and I put it on in 2 lines like Bob did earlier but fatter lines

Temps:
    Room temp at pc. about 12.8c

Idle
    Core 0:25
    Core 1:22
    Core 2:26
    Core 3:17

Load with Boinc

Core 0:32
    Core 1:32
    Core 2:35
    Core 3:28

First Test

Room temp up to about 31.1c
    Compound used for this test is put in a pea sized dot. The compound is Shin-Estu

Idle Temps after 5 min of running:
    Core 0:32
    Core 1:28
    Core 2:32
    Core 3:25

Load:
    Core 0:43
    Core 1:42
    Core 2:42
    Core 3:39

Test 2
    room temp down just a little to 29.4
    compound AS5

Idle:
    Core 0:37
    Core 1:37
    Core 3:31

Load:
    Core 0:47
    Core 1:48
    Core 2:45
    Core 3:43

Test 3
    compound ceramique

Idle:
    Core 0:37
    Core 1:37
    Core 3:31

Load:
    Core 1:48

Test 4
    compound IDC7

Idle:
    Core 0:38
    Core 1:38
    Core 3:32

Load:
    Core 1:47

Also I don't think I put the nozzle in my fuzion the right way and I need to check that. For the most part I think the IDC7 is right on par with the others. I would like to see more of the great testing you guys are doing! Keep up the good work guys. I will keep on testing. and I will be able to take my clocks back up a little here soon. I took pics but my camera is really really old and most of them are not very good. If you want me to post them tasty I will!!??
    Last edited by littleowl; 04-03-2008 at 09:52 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Haha, I thought this was just some April fool's day joke. Good stuff though, Now that its still going, I'm assuming it's quite legitimate.

Use the power of your CPU and GPU to contribute to science! Become a member of one of the most competitive teams in the world of distributed computing, help find cures for diseases and various other charitable scientific causes. It's as simple as running a program! Go visit the World Community Grid and Folding at Home Forums for more information on these projects. CRUNCH 'N FOLD!

xtreme energy

IC Diamond Seven Carat Diamond Extreme Performance Thermal Compound

* contains 92% pure diamond by weight

Test setup:
    Maximus Extreme X38
    E8400 @ 4.1Ghz 1.34V
    2x1GB ddr3, PSU Zippy 700W
    Cooling: TR Ultra 120 Extreme, coin added for better pressure

Thermal compound:
    * Arctic silver 5 (7 days old) *
    * IC 7 diamond *

20 min. prime large FFT, average temp. from coretemp 0.97.1. Idle both 46C (coretemp bug or smth) and ambient is 22C

Well, diamond won by 1C but maybe it needs some time to settle like AS5. So I will see how it performs after 3+ days

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast