Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you cool your Ram?

Xtreme Addict

How do you cool your Ram?

I have been looking at various WCing means to cool ram and none of them look all too good.

How do you guys who have watercooled systems cool you ram (if at all), All the WCing options as well as the air options seem to have the same horrible mounting system, which is to try to clamp on to the memory clips, and their never aligned perfect so its usually only clamped onto 1 on each side as well as having horrible fans.

Xtreme Mentor
    I use these waterblocks from aqua pc. They are gorgeous and cool the ram quite well with ramplex thermal pads.
    They work very well, but the problem is they are 1/8" threads.
    I want to drill them out and tap them for 1/4" threads.. I saw someone do this on a post and it worked well. Now if only I can get the guts to do it

I have an alum rad for those babies, so if you looking for copper, go for the mips ram freezer 4 or individual ones.
    Europeans have a lot of options on ram cooling, while the u.s. options are slim to none.

Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskar View Post
    All the WCing options as well as the air options seem to have the same horrible mounting system, which is to try to clamp on to the memory clips, and their never aligned perfect so its usually only clamped onto 1 on each side as well as having horrible fans.
    Well, I know you're looking for a watercooled solution, but seeing as how you addressed the mounting of fans on RAM, I have to interject. I have two fans (actually very nice, push a lot of air without a lot of sound) mounted on my ram in my system, and the mounting is modular. Easy to take off, easy to align, move, etc. Here's what I did:

There's my RAM cooling solution (obviously before I was anywhere near finished my system, that was towards the middle of the build log).

And here's how it's mounted:

Velcro. Learn to love it. It's easy to put on, easy to take off, and looks good.
    e6600 @ 3.6GHz (400*9 1.54v ~23C Idle ~45C Load)
    8800GTS 320MB (675MHz Core, 1674 MHz shader, 999MHz Memory ~39C Idle ~43C Load)
    P5K Premium - Black Pearl (No vDroop)
    4GB 6400 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-4-3-30-3-3-3
    750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Corsair HX620 Modular PSU
    Silverstone TJ07
    Samsung DVD RW (Stealthed)
    X-Fi Soundblaster
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    D5 > MCW60 > EK SB > Micro-Res > MCR-220 w/ Yate Loon x4
    D5 > Apogee GTX w/ Copper Top (Painted Black)> 2x5 1/2" Bay Res > MCR-320 w/ Yate Loon x5
    D5 > Copper 90° > EK NB > EK Mosfet > EK Mosfet > MCR-220 w/ Yate Loon x2 > T-line > Copper 90°

wow, I might make a velcro mod like that. that looks nice and even better, easy.
    -Asus Maximus Formula
    -e8400(OC soon!)
    -8800GTS 512mb
    -2 gig crucial tracers
    -12700 stock 3dmark06 score
    -10.5sec 1M superpi score!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I don't. These Corsair Dominators run cool enough even when overclocked.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nOcLuE98 View Post
    wow, I might make a velcro mod like that. that looks nice and even better, easy.
    Yeah, just make sure you get fans small enough to fit on there with room for your video card (if you have a long video card like me, my fans are a centimeter or two above the video card). Those fans are like 70mm or so, I had them laying around from an old Logisys 3D Edge which I used to cool my video card. I'm sure 80mm fans would fit, too. The only thing holding the fans together is two zip-ties... loop them through the holes and tighten it down, they stay flat and rigid.
    e6600 @ 3.6GHz (400*9 1.54v ~23C Idle ~45C Load)
    8800GTS 320MB (675MHz Core, 1674 MHz shader, 999MHz Memory ~39C Idle ~43C Load)
    P5K Premium - Black Pearl (No vDroop)
    4GB 6400 Corsair XMS2 4-4-4-4-3-30-3-3-3
    750GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.10
    Corsair HX620 Modular PSU
    Silverstone TJ07
    Samsung DVD RW (Stealthed)
    X-Fi Soundblaster
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    D5 > MCW60 > EK SB > Micro-Res > MCR-220 w/ Yate Loon x4
    D5 > Apogee GTX w/ Copper Top (Painted Black)> 2x5 1/2" Bay Res > MCR-320 w/ Yate Loon x5
    D5 > Copper 90° > EK NB > EK Mosfet > EK Mosfet > MCR-220 w/ Yate Loon x2 > T-line > Copper 90°

Quote Originally Posted by daedality View Post
    Yeah, just make sure you get fans small enough to fit on there with room for your video card (if you have a long video card like me, my fans are a centimeter or two above the video card). Those fans are like 70mm or so, I had them laying around from an old Logisys 3D Edge which I used to cool my video card. I'm sure 80mm fans would fit, too. The only thing holding the fans together is two zip-ties... loop them through the holes and tighten it down, they stay flat and rigid.
    cool this is looking better and better. yeah, I have a 8800gts 512, so it isnt too big. darn... that would cover up the cool lights on my tracers though..
    -Asus Maximus Formula
    -e8400(OC soon!)
    -8800GTS 512mb
    -2 gig crucial tracers
    -12700 stock 3dmark06 score
    -10.5sec 1M superpi score!

Xtreme Addict
    Cool mod

Im not nesicarilly needing a WC'd option, just asking here since im open to the best options available, wither it be WCing or air, and people in this section would have the best advice on it.

Now why do Europeans have the best options? Importing a block from another country really isn't an issue (unless they simply wont export and no site that carries them will either)

What kind of other options do they have that are good that I'm not aware of?

Xtreme Mentor
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/25341/MCH1245/MIPS/

This is a great option if you don't mind spending a little cash.
    of course air cooling is the cheaper option, but this is the liquid cooling section
    Last edited by Eddie3dfx; 03-29-2008 at 10:32 AM.
    Asus P6T, I7-920, 6gb ocz xmp, 4890, Raid 0-1 Terabyte, full watercooled - Triple Loop 5 radiators

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie3dfx View Post
    http://www.ncixus.com/products/25341/MCH1245/MIPS/

This is a great option if you don't mind spending a little cash.
    of course air cooling is the cheaper option, but this is the liquid cooling section
    Nice, that says Nickel, but it sure looks like aluminum (and plated aluminum is just as bad in my eyes)
    All in all looks good, but is that copper and nickel plated brass or something, or is it copper and aluminum?

Xtreme Mentor
    It's copper, don't worry. I don't think mips has any non copper blocks if I'm not mistaken.

Xtreme Cruncher
    @daedality - Wow, that looks so simple yet so effecient. If I ever need a RAM cooler I think I'll do that.
    @Eddie3dfx - That looks like a good RAM waterblock, but watercooling RAM just isn't worth it. RAM doesn't put out that much heat. It especially isn't worth it if you get a $106 waterblock.

Xtreme Member
    Another option is to get a 6-32 threaded rod from a hardware store (essentially a long screw minus the head). I removed one of the unnecessary screws from my mobo and screwed in the threaded rod instead. I then put one nut+washer at the proper height above the ram, slid on a 120mm fan, then capped it off with a washer and butterfly nut. This gives me tons of low noise airflow over the entire area.

You can see it in the upper right in the pic below. It is about 4 inches long; tough to tell from the angle.

Here is a small pic of the installed fan. It cools my north bridge admirably.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fan.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	75424  
    DFI LP UT P35-T2R | E8400 Q743A748 - IHS removed
    Team Xtreme PC2 9600 2x1GB | Auzentech XPlosion
    PCP+C Silencer 750W | 2x36GB Raptors RAID-0 | XFX 7800GT
    Iwaki MD20-RZT | FuZion - 4.4mm - modified ProMount | PA120.3

Xtreme Member
    I just hung a 100mm from a cathode hehe
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Looops 011.1.jpg 
Views:	705 
Size:	186.5 KB 
ID:	75425  
    Kick it oldschool

The Vortex H20 V2.0

Coolermaster ATCS 840 w Window panel
    EVGA SR-2 Classified
    2 x Xeon L5639 Hexcore CPUs, 3.2GHZ
    EVGA GTX 580
    24GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 1600MHZ 9-9-9-24 1.5v
    OCZ Z-Series GOLD 850W
    2 x 90GB Corsair Force SSD RAID0
    Sharp 32" Aquos 1080p
    Benq W500 1080i Pojector.

Watercooling:
    2 x EK Supreme HF, MCR320+Gelid Silent 12 Push/Pull, DD Pump, EK Multioption 100ml Res, XSPC GTX 580 FC block, EK Coolstream XT 220 RAD Gelid Wings Push - CM R4s Pull.

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by NetburstXE View Post
    @daedality - Wow, that looks so simple yet so effecient. If I ever need a RAM cooler I think I'll do that.
    @Eddie3dfx - That looks like a good RAM waterblock, but watercooling RAM just isn't worth it. RAM doesn't put out that much heat. It especially isn't worth it if you get a $106 waterblock.
    I agree that its a bit overkill, but most would agree that it needs some kind of active cooling, and the Air options just aren't that good.

And with a block made like that it would most likely be Very low restriction and unlike most all the other ram WCing options, it doesn't require multiple Y splits along with lower ID tubes to cool them individually or in sets of 2.
    Last edited by Zaskar; 03-29-2008 at 12:48 PM.

I am Xtreme
    I am designing an acrylic ram cooler (using fans) . . .will have a prototype to show in a couple weeks (thanks to Danger Den . . .if the design is good it is theirs) . I used the metal OCZ ones before which work well but the metal is problematic next to a GPU . . .plus I use Ballistix Tracer ram so I like to see the RAM LEDS.

I am Xtreme
    Koolance had a decent setup. Guess it didn't sell too well because it's now discontinued. Kind of easy to make yourself too, have a look.

http://www.frostytech.com/permalinkA...m?NewsID=57293
    Circles SucQ!

If your annoyed by sigs telling you to put things in your sig, then put this in your sig

Bribery won't work on me...just say NO to AT!!!

I am Xtreme
    Quote Originally Posted by KaptCrunch View Post
    acrylic is conductive above 4 volts
    Guess I will have to break out my conformal spray then. Thanks bud.

Waterlogged that Koolance thing is snazzy.

Xtreme Cruncher
    My solution is definitely overkill but it works well. I use ~3 inch screws for my storm so that they stick up about 1.5 in above the hold down plate. Then I just stick a 120 on the top right screw.

Xtreme Member
    Still work under progress...........but you get the idea...........just ordered a Kikboxes Biohazard 1 x 120mm Radgrill to mount on top along with a new 120mm noiseblocker fan for the job

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TM 3.JPG 
Views:	618 
Size:	197.4 KB 
ID:	75439

I mount the fan to the motherboard try with the treaded rods you see to the right of the PC

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P3240040.JPG 
Views:	594 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	75440

Works amazingly well my crucial rams runs at 4.4.4.6 at 2.2V and for the best part is cold to touch and at a stretch luke warm......witch is compared to HOT with out anything.
    Last edited by csjsi; 03-31-2008 at 02:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Xtreme Member
    I have a radiator mounted blowing out (or in not finished experimenting yet) on the removable side panel. well actually its mounted on metal strips suspended where the side panel is, but the point is the fans from it suck or blow air from or over the ram and NB!

Banned
    Mine is using the Corsair Dominator fan and it works great for my needs

I'm just using passive oversized heatspreaders from Patriot (the stock "Viper Fin" type) and with the airflow created by the radiator's 120mm intake fan at the front of the case and 2x 7-volt 80mm fans at the back are keeping the RAM cool to the touch.

I'm using OCZ FlexXLC

Xtreme Member
    I can't believe no one has mentioned this, but the antec spotcoolis absolutely perfect for ram cooling. I've got 2 of them and they work great!
    "Two pentium 4's would make a great miniature George Forman grill!"
    http://heatware.com/eval.php?id=58394

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast