Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Creative Labs to sue a driver modder (Daniel_K)

Xtreme Member

Creative Labs to sue a driver modder (Daniel_K)

Daniel_K:

We are aware that you have been assisting owners of our Creative sound cards for some time now, by providing unofficial driver packages for Vista that deliver more of the original functionality that was found in the equivalent XP packages for those sound cards. In principle we don't have a problem with you helping users in this way, so long as they understand that any driver packages you supply are not supported by Creative. Where we do have a problem is when technology and IP owned by Creative or other companies that Creative has licensed from, are made to run on other products for which they are not intended. We took action to remove your thread because, like you, Creative and its technology partners think it is only fair to be compensated for goods and services. The difference in this case is that we own the rights to the materials that you are distributing. By enabling our technology and IP to run on sound cards for which it was not originally offered or intended, you are in effect, stealing our goods. When you solicit donations for providing packages like this, you are profiting from something that you do not own. If we choose to develop and provide host-based processing features with certain sound cards and not others, that is a business decision that only we have the right to make.

Although you say you have discontinued your practice of distributing unauthorized software packages for Creative sound cards we have seen evidence of them elsewhere along with donation requests from you. We also note in a recent post of yours on these forums, that you appear to be contemplating the release of further packages. To be clear, we are asking you to respect our legal rights in this matter and cease all further unauthorized distribution of our technology and IP. In addition we request that you observe our forum rules and respect our right to enforce those rules. If you are in any doubt as to what we would consider unacceptable then please request clarification through one of our forum moderators before posting.

Phil O'Shaughnessy
    VP Corporate Communications
    Creative Labs Inc.
    Source
    http://forums.creative.com/creativel...read.id=116332

Digg
    http://digg.com/hardware/Creative_th...mmunity_modder
    Last edited by end3rkid; 03-29-2008 at 01:40 PM.

SLC
    I am with creative on this one... He went too far.

iadstudio
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekFSE View Post
    Doesnt seem right he is asking for donations.
    Case closed. Pretty clear laws on this.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    They should employ the guy, he's obviously got more talent than the rubbish Creative software writers - 1 guy making improvements in which a company like Creative seem to struggle.

I dont think I'll buy products from Creative anymore, they just cannot deliver in terms of software support / compatability.
    i5 2500K @ 4.9GHz MSI Z77 MPower G.Skill Trident 8GB 2400C10
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8GB @ 1784/4004MHz Corsair HX 750 PSU
    Samsung 830 256GB Creative ZxR Thermalright Silver Arrow
    NEC 24WMGX3 24" TFT Fractal Design Define S Win 7/10 64bit

They aren't suing him.

Talking

I agree Creative should tackle this issue in a lot more friendlier way and at least attempt to hire him... Who knows, maybe they have tried... But yeah accepting donations aint right...
    Last edited by frupert; 03-28-2008 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Spelling

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ThunderChunky View Post
    They aren't suing him.
    exactly what I was thinking..
    CPU Intel E8400 4.3ghz (9x478), Poseidon WCL-04 Water Cooling | RAM Crucial Ballistix Tracer PC2-8500 2x1gb | Motherboard Asus P5Q Deluxe | Graphics Card 512mb ASUS 9800GTX+ | Audio X-Fi XtremeMusic, Logitech Z-2300 | Power Supply Corsair HX620 | Case Antec 900 | Input Devices Razer ProClick, Logitech G15 | Display Device Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP, Samsung 226BW

Xtreme Mentor
    What did he do exactly?
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Member
    donations are optional in most cases so if you don't wanna pay just don't pay, creative sucks I had several cards including the expensive ones their support sucks a... they should stop outsourcing those lame "programmers"

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by aiya_au View Post
    exactly what I was thinking..
    Modified Creative software so it was compatable in Vista for one so it was fully fuctional just like it was in XP.

Xtreme Member
    That's a pretty decent e-mail or letter, props.

This is more like a Cease & Desist letter.
    Intel Core i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe | 2x 4 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | 512 GB Crucial M4 SSD | Zotac Geforce GTX 660 Ti @ 1100 / 1600 MHz | OCZ ModXstream 600 PSU | Coolermaster Elite 120 mITX Case

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelly View Post
    They should employ the guy, he's obviously got more talent than the rubbish Creative software writers - 1 guy making improvements in which a company like Creative seem to struggle.

I dont think I'll buy products from Creative anymore, they just cannot deliver in terms of software support / compatability.
    I agree with you whole heartedly on this one Nelly! Obviously if CREATIVE Driver team did not suck so bad at coding software for their Hardware people such as this fella wouldn't need to do such things to provide people with decent drivers for their Hardware products from CREATIVE

Personally I went Auzentech about 9 months ago and I have not looked back since! Auzentech just makes a superior product PERIOD and no Bull Sh**t CREATIVE software to plague my system any longer.
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    12GB - Crucial ECC DDR3 1333
    Intel 520 180GB Cherryville
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

Xtreme Member
    WTF Creative?

Hire him to do QA or development on your drivers

I thought you guys would know better?
    E8400 @ 4.8Ghz on Vapochill LS | NVIDIA 790i Ultra SLI | BFG GTX 280 SLI | PC Power & Cooling 1200W | Bench Sled

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    There is a creative labs facility about 30 miles from where I'm at in Stillwater, Ok. Knew a couple of guys who worked there and from them I could tell how lame they were years ago. The first indication was when i talked to one of these guys and He started bragging on their new video card(serval years ago). When I told him that it had already been reveiwed by Maximum PC and the the Nvidia and Amd cards at the time that it was compared to blew it out of the water, he wouldn't believe me. About a month later He comes up to me and tells me they stoppedallthe research on it and shut down their video card unit..........
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Banned
    Seems like a typical politically correct letter from Creative. don't know all the details of the incident but if as was stated the guy was enabling full functionality in Vista that was previously available to owners of Creative sound cards using XP then Creative should rot in hell...if not and the guy is doing something illegal here and asking for donations in the process well then go Creative shut him down

Xtreme Mentor
    Maybe Creative shouldn't make such rubbish drivers
    "To exist in this vast universe for a speck of time is the great gift of life. Our tiny sliver of time is our gift of life. It is our only life. The universe will go on, indifferent to our brief existence, but while we are here we touch not just part of that vastness, but also the lives around us. Life is the gift each of us has been given. Each life is our own and no one else's. It is precious beyond all counting. It is the greatest value we have. Cherish it for what it truly is."

Banned
    Uh oh, Joe Blow is making us look bad. Shut him down!

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    I bought one of there sound blaster live cards, had to rma it and i have never had one of their live cards work right.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    AUZENTECH......FTW!!!!!!!!
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620
    Areca 1231ML ~ 2~ 250GB Seagate ES.2 ~ Raid 0 ~ 4~ Hitachi 5K3000 2TB ~ Raid 6 ~

if it wasnt for that guy i know atleast 10 people personally who wouldent have gotten creative cards

Quote Originally Posted by Brother Esau View Post
    AUZENTECH......FTW!!!!!!!!

their cards even do better with his drivers (atleast the xfi based one)
    5930k, R5E, samsung 8GBx4 d-die, vega 56, wd gold 8TB, wd 4TB red, 2TB raid1 wd blue 5400
    samsung 840 evo 500GB, HP EX 1TB NVME , CM690II, swiftech h220, corsair 750hxi

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    There is a creative labs facility about 30 miles from where I'm at in Stillwater, Ok. Knew a couple of guys who worked there and from them I could tell how lame they were years ago. The first indication was when i talked to one of these guys and He started bragging on their new video card(serval years ago). When I told him that it had already been reveiwed by Maximum PC and the the Nvidia and Amd cards at the time that it was compared to blew it out of the water, he wouldn't believe me. About a month later He comes up to me and tells me they stoppedallthe research on it and shut down their video card unit..........
    ROFL!!
    Asus Rampage II Gene | Core i7 920 | 6*2GB Mushkin 998729 | BFG GTX280 OCX | Auzentech X-Fi Forte | Corsair VX550
    —Life is too short to be bound by the moral, ethical and legal constraints imposed on us by modern day society.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I think this about sums up the real truth behind it.
    Where we do have a problem is when technology and IP owned by Creative or other companies that Creative has licensed from, are made to run on other products for which they are not intended.
    We purchased your products in good faith with said technology and intellectual property in a working state. It is Creative who chose of their own free will to use Vista as an excuse to purposefuly disable that technology and intellectual property effectively bricking hardware that people paid good money to Creative for. You have absolutely no moral right to complain becuase people are getting what they actualy paid for, albeit from a non Creative source. If you lot had pulled your finger out a year ago, this would not be a problem. Your statement only further proves that this was no more than a financial decision on Creatives part, and nothing to do with wether or not the hardware was capable, becuase it obviously was. I feel Creative saw this as an opertunity to con the consumer into believing that by adopting the Windows Vista operating system, they would be required the purchase new Creative hardware to once again be in a position to take advantage of Creatives technology and intellectual property, a blatent missuse of Creatives market position and extremely bad business practice. Creative has taken their customer base for idiots plain and simple, unfortunately for you, we're not, and incase you were any doubt of that, take a look at your finances. Its only going to get worse.

D.F.I Pimp Daddy
    Quote Originally Posted by zanzabar View Post
    if it wasnt for that guy i know atleast 10 people personally who wouldent have gotten creative cards

their cards even do better with his drivers (atleast the xfi based one)
    Worst choice they ever made was to get wrapped up with CREATIVE because EAX does Jack all Many have brought that argument to the table with gaming and my card runs flawlessly with superb clarity in gaming without EAX and I had a XFI Platinum before this card and hands down CREATIVE Sucks next to Auzentech across the board and I was one of the lucky XFI owners that never had issue one with the card .
    SuperMicro X8SAX
    Xeon 5620

Xtreme Member
    Well, you're not forced install the software package that Creative provides, you can just install the drivers. Not defending Creative, just saying, if you don't like the software, don't install it.
    Home PC: Intel i7 4770K @ 4.6ghz l Asus Maximus VI Hero l Corsair Dominator Plantinum 2400mhz (4x4GB) l Asus GTX 690 l Samsung 840 Pro 256gb l 2 x WD Black 1T storage drive l WD MyBook 500gb External l Samsung SH-S203N DVD l Creative X-Fi Titanium HD l Corsair AX1200 PSU l Planar SA2311W23 3D LCD Monitor l Corsair 800D Case l Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit l Sennheiser HD-590

Water Cooling Setup: Swiftech 320 Radiator (3 X Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm 3 x Gentle Typhoons 1850 rpm) l Swiftech Pump w/XSPC Res Top l Heatkiller 3.0 CPU Block l Heatkiller GPU-X GTX 690 "Hole Edition" Nickel l Heatkiller Geforce GTX 690 GPU Backplate l Koolance 140mm Radiator l Danger Den 1/2ID UV Green tubing l EK EKoolant UV Green Liquid

-Impossible is not a word

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast