Thread: Q9300 Retail BOX, am i reading my temps right?

Q9300 Retail BOX, am i reading my temps right?

Hi

Just got my Q9300 installed in a gigabyte X48-dq6, aside from the mb reboot loobs, the mb seems a very easy overclocker, with every thing on auto exept ddr voltage and cpu voltage ( 1.3250 ) it did 444x7.5 =3330Ghz prime stable 1 hour plus!!
    But the temps reported by core temp seems too high to be true!!

@stock idle= 48
    overcloced idle= 55, load= 85 !!
    real temp is 10 deg less
    My motherboard cpu censor is giving me 25 deg less than core temp

My cooling is TR ultima 90I + 120mm (fan open air)

Can any one help

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Trust Real Temp with "--" for Idle Temperature Calibration. Also try Speedfan, which tends to give you the most accurate informations about your system temps and your CPU temps.

And ultimately... check your voltage, heatsink, and everything else... etc...

I've seen my X3350 go as high as 78-79C in Real Temp (that'd be 89C in Core Temp!) until I used some extreme air cooling methods.

Quote Originally Posted by RunawayPrisoner View Post
    Trust Real Temp with "--" for Idle Temperature Calibration. Also try Speedfan, which tends to give you the most accurate informations about your system temps and your CPU temps.

And ultimately... check your voltage, heatsink, and everything else... etc...

I've seen my X3350 go as high as 78-79C in Real Temp (that'd be 89C in Core Temp!) until I used some extreme air cooling methods.
    the Q9300 has different core stepping(M1) than the Q9450/X3350 (C1)
    Speed fan gives me 5 deg more than real temp for the DTS
    and gives -25 deg for the MB cpu censor
    and just to be sure i used a TR IFX 14 with dual 120mm fans, and i only got 3 or 4 deg less

Xtreme Mentor
    Accuracies of core temperatures are a subject of major questions. Intel (nor AMD for that matter) publish calibration data for reading the on die thermal sensors, as such in most cases is might as well be a random number generator.

To level yourself on your temps, run some benches at various clocks up to your max clock... does it continue to scale? If not, then it is throttling most likely (choose a bench that is not BW limited, SuperPI is a good choice) and at that point you can peg the temp reading as 'this is where I don't want to be'. Scale back from there.
    One hundred years from now It won't matter
    What kind of car I drove What kind of house I lived in
    How much money I had in the bank Nor what my cloths looked like.... But The world may be a little better Because, I was important In the life of a child.
    -- from "Within My Power" by Forest Witcraft