Thread: Tiny scratch on back of motherboard PCB.

Xtreme Addict

Tiny scratch on back of motherboard PCB.

I just got a DFI LP LT X48 board in today and I was examining it for any problems and I saw that on the back of the PCB, right next to where one of the NB pin slots is, there is a tiny little "scratch." It's roughly on one of the little lines that are running all over the back of the PCB. It looks very light though, like a screwdriver just slightly jabbed it or something.

Could this cause any problems? I don't really know what all those... Things running all over every which way on the back of the PCB are, but I assume that motherboards aren't THAT delicate.

Thanks, I'm just rather paranoid, I don't want to put this all together only to find out the motherboard is going to have issues. Rather just RMA it right now and get it over with.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Mid UK. Lift a few rocks, eventually you will find me.
    Can u post a close up image of this please, then we would have a better idea of what we are dealing with. I presume all the tracks on back of mobo are covered with lacquer. If there is no copper showing then it should be OK. A photo would help to confirm.
    Fun Box: Asus P8Z68-V GEN3++Corsair AX850++i5 2500k@4.5Ghz-1.272v++Corsair A50++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++MSI R7970 Lightning++Audigy2 Plat-EX++TBS 6280 DVB-T2 tuner++256Gb OCZ Vertex 4.500Gb Caviar Black.500Gb Seagate Barracuda++Sony AD7240s++Lian-Li PC-60++Linux Mint/Win 7++Asus P238Q

Work Box: Gigabyte H61MA-DV3++Corsair HX620++i5 3450@stock++2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance++120Gb OCZ Agility 3++Linux Mint

Quantum theory in a nutshell: It's so small we don't know where it is, it could be here, it could be there.

Just 'cos it's legal don't make it right.

Xtreme Cruncher
    I've hastily screwed in motherboards and the screw driver has slipped before. I've pretty much stabbed it a couple times with the screw driver slipping off... even around all the stuff near the PCI slots. Everything still works fine.

As s1nykuL said, see if you can get a picture of the damage to see if it will affect the board's performance.

Xtreme Addict
    I tried (even in the sunlight) to get a good pic, but with my phone... The camera just isn't good enough.

I looked at the scratch very closely though, and I can't notice any copper. The scratch appears white, no noticeable bronze/copper color.

**Edit**

I found the charger for my father's DSLR.

I'll take a nice pic with that in a few minutes.
    Last edited by Sly Fox; 03-25-2008 at 03:44 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Sounds good. Eagerly waiting.

L-l-look at you, hacker.
    Even if it doesn't affect performance, I'd send it back ASAP to wherever you got it from. DFI has a nasty track record of trying on BS reasons for returning RMAs, and a scratch on the PCB would be just perfect for them to use to dodge responsibility should your board go bad in future.
    Rig specs
    CPU: i7 5960X Mobo: Asus X99 Deluxe RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR4-2400 CAS-15 VGA: 2x eVGA GTX680 Superclock PSU: Corsair AX1200

Foundational Falsehoods of Creationism

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulsCollective View Post
    Even if it doesn't affect performance, I'd send it back ASAP to wherever you got it from. DFI has a nasty track record of trying on BS reasons for returning RMAs, and a scratch on the PCB would be just perfect for them to use to dodge responsibility should your board go bad in future.
    True. I don't know if MotherBoardPro will take the board back for replacement if it works though. I'm a very paranoid guy, so when I see a tiny little scratch like that, I freak out. They may just tell me the board works, we won't take it back though, or am I mistaken?

Pics coming in a few, just letting the battery get a halfway decent charge.

Xtreme Addict
    Alright, got the pics.

First, the specific scratch in question, close up. That "white thing" next to the circles is the NB cooler pin.

Next is a pic of the entire back.

Lastly, a pic of the top. Dunno, just playing with the camera.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I had a large scratch that crossed over a few traces on my old Asus A7N8X.

They were right next to the processor from trying to use a flat-head screwdriver to install the HSF. It still overclocked to from 1.83 to 2.4ghz just fine.

I honestly cannot say that it would be safe in every case, but I'm sure you'll be fine.
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Cruncher
    That's a black PCB with a brownish laquer on it. The scratch is white, so I'm thinking it just knicked the laquer and not the PCB. Give it a try.

Xtreme Addict
    I talked to a DFI technician and he told me that the scratch would be clearly copper colored if it were actually damaged. He agreed with Polizei that as the scratch looks white, it appears to be the lacquer that's scratched, not what's beneath it.

I'm still rather nervous... I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my gut. However, rationally, I'm sure it's not a problem.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Fire it up!
    Computer: Intel i7-4770k | Asus Z87 Maximus VI Impact | 240GB Corsair Force GT | 240GB OCZ Vertex 3 | 16GB G.Skill Trident X 2400MHz | EVGA GTX690 Hydro Copper 4GB | Corsair AX850 | Steelseries 7G | Logitech G500 | 27" 2560x1440 Overlord Tempest X270OC 120Hz S-IPS
    Cooling: Koolance 380i CPU block | Swiftech Hydro Copper GPU block | EK X3 150 Reservoir | EK X-TOP D5 PWM drive | PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Bloodshed red | Alphacool NexXxos 240mm XT45 | Alphacool NexXxos 280mm UT60 | Bitspower Fittings | 4x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 120mm | 2x Bitfenix Spectre Pro 140mm | Lamptron FC-5V2
    Case: Custom modded matte black Caselabs Mercury S3

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Sly Fox View Post
    I talked to a DFI technician and he told me that the scratch would be clearly copper colored if it were actually damaged. He agreed with Polizei that as the scratch looks white, it appears to be the lacquer that's scratched, not what's beneath it.

I'm still rather nervous... I just have a bad feeling in the pit of my gut. However, rationally, I'm sure it's not a problem.
    The board is fine. You can e-slap me if it doesn't boot up.
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Intel i7 3770k
    ░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░ ASUS GTX680
    ░░░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄░░░░░ ASUS Maximun V Gene
    ░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█░░░░ Mushkin 8GB Blackline
    ░░░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█░░░░ Crucial M4 256GB
    ░░░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█░░░ Hitachi Deskstar 2TB x2
    ░░█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█░░ FSP 750W Gold
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ Fractal Arc Mini

I am Xtreme
    Looks like someone use a pair of pliers to remove heatsink, and slipped a bit. I 100% agree with the "no copper" side, slap a small piece of tape over the scrath, if truly concerned, fire it up, and make sure it works.

But really, if you don't like it, return it and get it replaced with another. This time get an un-opened box

Xtreme Addict
    I can rest easy tonight knowing that my board likely isn't messed up, so thanks a lot guys.

I'll update this thread with results on Thursday when I get the rest of my parts, in case anyones curious.

Regards, kyle.

Yeah, your board should be fine. It would only be a problem if the copper traces were showing, and even then only if it scratched or damaged the trace badly enough to inhibit conduction