Page 2 of 376 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Numbers: Get 'Em While They're Hot!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    I am using Ubuntu 7.10 64 bit on my local home network.I am going to do that today and try to setup that remote desktop, I remember seeing it....
    System > Preferences > Remote Desktop. Tick the top two boxes, and password is optional depending on how many people are on your LAN. Then download UltraVNC Viewer (bottom download link: UltraVNC-Viewer-104-Security-Update-2---Feb-8-2008.zip), and when using that just type in the local IP address (192.168.0.xxx). Won't allow you to access the computers from outside your local network, but it's dead easy to set up, and gets the job done.

For added lulz, the screenshot is taken using UltraVNC Viewer to access one of my Ubuntu computers

Also, gotta love how long it takes my 1.7Ghz P4 to process these work units

Eller
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	remote_desktop.jpg 
Views:	966 
Size:	124.7 KB 
ID:	74733  
    Last edited by karl_eller; 03-23-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Addict
    Ok, now motivate some lurkers.

>i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by karl_eller View Post
    System > Preferences > Remote Desktop. Tick the top two boxes, and password is optional depending on how many people are on your LAN. Then download UltraVNC-Viewer-104-Security-Update-2---Feb-8-2008.zip), and when using that just type in the local IP address (192.168.0.xxx). Won't allow you to access the computers from outside your local network, but it's dead easy to set up, and gets the job done.

For added lulz, the screenshot is taken using UltraVNC Viewer to access one of my Ubuntu computers

Also, gotta love how long it takes my 1.7Ghz P4 to process these work units

Eller
    The viewer will work on a Windows rig to monitor the Ubuntu rig?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by road-runner View Post
    The viewer will work on a Windows rig to monitor the Ubuntu rig?
    Yep. I'm using UltraVNC Viewer on my Vista desktop to access my Ubuntu cruncher(s).

Eller

Desktop: Q6600 G0 @ 3.6 Ghz | P5E | 2x2 Gb G.Skill PC8000 | GTX 560 Ti | CM690 | TT TP 750 watt | Win 7 Pro x64 | Water Cooling
    Server: i3 530 (Stock) | CM Vortex Low-Profile | Zotac H55-ITX WIFI | 2x2Gb Corsair 1333Mhz | IGP | VX450 | Server 2008 R2 x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    For sure !
    If you're on another ubuntu machine, you can use the built-in Terminal Server Client (under Applications->Internet) as a VNC viewer !

don_xvi helps find cures for cancer, AIDS and West Nile, among other research !
    Donald A. Perlick helps find cures for Alzheimer's, cancer, and Parkinson's, among other research !

Xtreme Cruncher
    Ok had it working but when I remove the video card I can not connect to the machine. I set it to not stop on any errors in the bios. Maybe its because of the Ubuntu log in username and password?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Enabled auto log in but still no go, the MB in question is a P35 DQ6. Maybe it does not work without a VC but it comes on and acts like its working....

Xtreme Cruncher
    Are you able to tell if it's still pulling an IP from the network and is ping-able? If not, then it must be getting hung up somewhere on boot-up :-/

nice guys

FWIW my two meager WCG crunchers are back running as of 5 minutes ago.
    The Cardboard Master
    Crunch with us, the XS WCG team
    Intel Core i7 2600k @ 4.5GHz, 16GB DDR3-1600, Radeon 7950 @ 1000/1250, Win 10 Pro x64

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by rcofell View Post
    Are you able to tell if it's still pulling an IP from the network and is ping-able? If not, then it must be getting hung up somewhere on boot-up :-/
    Its pingable and I see the light blinking where the cable plugs in on the MB. Some reason I cant connect to it with the viewer when I remove the VC.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    go into your bios and set video from pcie to none, that will tell the board and the os it is running headless and allow it operate properly.
    Donate to Xtreme Systems!

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?
    Come crunch WCG and you'll feel like your on QuadCaine"

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by fart_plume View Post
    go into your bios and set video from pcie to none, that will tell the board and the os it is running headless and allow it operate properly.
    Only choice is PCI, Peg1 and Peg2...

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    hmmm, never seen one that wouldn't let you run headless before, well anything newer than a 486 anyway.

Now Showing:
    Gigabyte x48-DQ6, Q6600,OCZ 1066 Reapers,2 750gb seagate 7200.11 hd, BFG 8800GTS 512,PC P&C 750 Quad psu, 24" Sceptre lcd, Antec 900

my wife's system now!
    Intel C2D 6400, Zotac Matx mobo, 1gb kingston mem, Nvidia 7050, I Feel really Good now!
    Jon C2D 6600 Zotac mobo 1gb mem............................................... ................. HTPC qx6700@3.0ghz
    Annabelle Amd 3800+@2.4ghz, Biostar mobo, 1gb ocz pc4500 beta's................. Optyx2 opty165@ 2.1 ghz

'Want a real high?

First loops are like first sex, all hands and thumbs till you figure out what goes where, then it's what ever works best for you.

Xtreme Addict
    What is the rivalry between Xtremesystems and Easynews? They are my newsgroup provider... I'm nearly old enough to boinc lmao
    Respec'
    System:Bunch of crappy overclocked PC's that cost an arm and a leg

Xtreme Cruncher
    It MIGHT be that the X Server is hanging during Ubuntu's startup because of the lack of video card. I can't remember exactly how you get around this, but I think you need to boot into Ubuntu, and then manually set the resolution and such (rather than having it auto). I'm not 100% sure about this, but I'm sure the guys over at the Ubuntu Forums can get you fixed.

Eller

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by SparkyJJO View Post
    nice guys

FWIW my two meager WCG crunchers are back running as of 5 minutes ago.
    ..One for each!
    The XS WCG team needs your support.
    A good project with good goals.
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Frisch View Post
    If you have lost faith in humanity, then hold a newborn in your hands.

Wanna Pull My Finger?
    It's just we want to be number 1, to find the cures for these crappy illness' and be the best at what we do.......BUY HARDWARE!

Now Showing:

my wife's system now!

'Want a real high?

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by RADCOM View Post
    What is the rivalry between Xtremesystems and Easynews? They are my newsgroup provider... I'm nearly old enough to boinc lmao
    When XS first joined WCG in force back in August 2006 EasyNews was the big baddass on the block.. We set a goal to catch them and it will happen!
    From there it's on and after Team 2ch..
    Oh did I mention that both of those teams have in excess of 5000 members and we have a group of essentially 270 that contributes daily..
    Come join us,get that warm fuzzy feeling that you've done something good for mankind.

Hamster Powered
    Quote Originally Posted by Movieman View Post
    When XS first joined WCG in force back in August 2006 EasyNews was the big baddass on the block.. We set a goal to catch them and it will happen!
    From there it's on and after Team 2ch..
    Oh did I mention that both of those teams have in excess of 5000 members and we have a group of essentially 270 that contributes daily..
    But they are 270 Crazed Crunchers.
    XSWCG Disclaimer:
    We are not responsible for the large sums of money that you WILL want to spend to upgrade and add additional equipment. This is an addiction and the forum takes no responsibility morally or financially for the equipment and therapy cost. Thank you and have a great day.

Sigmund Freud said... "Failure to CRUNCH is a sign of Sexual Inadequacies".

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, since the fact VNC would be linked to the X-server(and subsequently the VC) you might have to mess with the config file(/etc/X11/xorg.conf), either manually or with a gui. I don't really mess with X-windows too much, so I don't know for sure.

You might also want to check out the logs for the X-server, should be something like /var/log/Xorg.*.log, with * being a number and the latest log being the lowest value(0).

I'm pretty sure openssh(which would be independent of VC) is easy to set up in Ubuntu, but I don't think I personally set it up the time I used that distro, so I'm not certain if anything beyond installing the package is required. Granted that would require you to do things in command-line(except you can do X11 forwarding to allow you to run GUIs over it, but that takes a little bit of work for windows and you wouldn't have your full desktop), which might not be your preference.
    Last edited by rcofell; 03-23-2008 at 05:36 PM.

Xtreme Cruncher
    Quote Originally Posted by rcofell View Post
    Yeah, since the fact VNC would be linked to the X-server(and subsequently the VC) you might have to mess with the config file(/etc/X11/xorg.conf), either manually or with a gui. I don't really mess with X-windows too much, so I don't know for sure.

You might also want to check out the logs for the X-server, should be something like /var/log/Xorg.*.log, with * being 0 for the most current log.

I'm pretty sure openssh(which would be independent of VC) is easy to set up in Ubuntu, but I don't think I personally set it up the time I used that distro, so I'm not certain if anything beyond installing the package is required. Granted that would require you to do things in command-line(except you can do X11 forwarding to allow you to run GUIs over it, but that takes a little bit of work for windows and you wouldn't have your full desktop), which might not be your preference.
    Well I am not that good with Linux. I got it on I hope its working, will find out if it turns in anything in a few days. Its only a 3Ghz E6400. I think I will just get another cheap VC next month....

Xtreme Cruncher
    Yeah, just pick up some $10-30 PCI or PCIe card off eBay. It's not like the graphics demands for stock Ubuntu are that high :P

Eller

Xtreme crazy bastid
    The latest version comes with compiz-fusion enabled by default (though with crappy configuration controls) so if you're going to use the desktop, get decent graphics hardware. If you're gonna run it headless, spend as little as humanly possible.

Xtreme Legend
    I think we jinxed ourselves with this thread.

Easynews - 5,181,182

XtremeSystems - 4,905,431
    Audentes fortuna iuvat

"Fortune favors the bold"

V3 Xeons coming soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra_bound View Post
    I think we jinxed ourselves with this thread.

Easynews - 5,181,182

XtremeSystems - 4,905,431
    Just a hiccup and a slow sunday..
    LOL..4.9 mil..slow..

Page 2 of 376 FirstFirst 123451252102 ... LastLast