Thread: 9800 GX2 Bios editing/flashing

Xtreme Enthusiast

9800 GX2 Bios editing/flashing

So I can confirm that Nibitor 3.9 can infact read the 9800 GX2 bios

unfortunately, NVflash cannot handle the task at hand here's what you get when you use nvflash to flash your GX2:

one core is still at stock and the other is at my overclocked settings.

guys, we gotta figure this out! any ideas???
    2600k @ 5ghz / z68 Pro / 8gb Ripjaws X / GTX 580 SLi
    2x Inferno raid 0 / WD 1TB Black / Thermaltake 1200w
    Dell 3008 WFP / Dual Loop WC MM UFO

One-Eyed Killing Machine
    You'll have to wait for a new version of NiBiTor more than likely

Xtreme Enthusiast
    why does "wait" always have to be the answer?

Xtreme Member
    the card probably has 2 bios just like 3870x2, you have to flash both cards.
    Last edited by doom_st; 03-22-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Asus P7P55D Pro I5 750 @ 4.0 Ghz(1.32v) 4x1Gb 1333cl9 @ 1600cl8 Intel X-25M SSD 80Gb 2xGTX260 SLI Enermax Galaxy 850w All on water.

Xtreme Legend
    new NiBiT and nvflash worked perfect at 9800GX2.

This card is different from 3870X2 because there are 3 bios at this card. BR04 Bridge bios, Core 1 bios and Core 2 bios.

Save under DOS

Core1
    nvflash -b -i1 xxx-1.rom

Core 2
    nvflash -b -i2 xxx-2.rom

Next, using NiBiT 3.9 edit and flash under dos, too.

Flash bios under dos

Core1
    nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i1 xxx-1.rom

Core2
    nvflash -4 -5 -6 -i2 xxx-2.rom

Xtreme Enthusiast
    awesome, thanks Andre!!!

The Blue Dolphin
    Courtesy to alexio heh Andre?

Good luck sonofander. When I find the time I'll check if I can tweak some latencies in that bridge chip BIOS
    Blue Dolphin Reviews & Guides

Blue Reviews:
    Gigabyte G-Power PRO CPU cooler
    Vantec Nexstar 3.5" external HDD enclosure
    Gigabyte Poseidon 310 case

Blue Guides:
    Fixing a GFX BIOS checksum yourself

98% of the internet population has a Myspace. If you're part of the 2% that isn't an emo bastard, copy and paste this into your sig.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    well then thank you alexio!

and man tweaking the bridge would be awesome!!!
    lets get every little bit outta these things we can

in the bios of the cards, is it safe to raise the voltage? does it even work?

Xtreme Cruncher
    Thanks Andre.

Now if we could only up the voltage a tad.
    QX 9650 | Maximus II Formula | G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) PC2 8500 | Sapphire 4850 X2 2GB| Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1 | 3x's WD 150GB Raptors & 2x's 1TB Seagate 7200.11 | Silverstone OP1200 | SilverStone TJ07 | Dell 2707WFP

EK-RES 250 --> Swiftech MCP655 --> Apogee GTZ --> Enzotech Sapphire NB --> Feser X-Changer 360

Xtreme Mentor
    Can you adjust fan speed in the bios as well as clocks like on the G80/G92 cards? I would like to set the fan speed to like 80-100% constant while also having higher clocks. I don't like installing softare to do the things that the card can do on its own.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Xtreme Member
    I just tried this, I was able to flash the first gpu with ko edition bios and the second one would not flash, it says hierarchy mismatch error, I used the exact same command, but both cards are running at the ko edition speed because the second card overclocks itself to run at the first card speed, it is verified via gpu z, but when I tried to flash back the first gpu to original bios I got the same error, so both cards are running at the same speed but with differnet bios, I would like to actually get them to run with the same bios. I just want to know how you guys got to flash right, because it certainly wont do it for me with the above commands.
    Q9450(VID 1.2375) 3.9GHX 488*8 1.32V LOADED
    Asus P5Q-E
    CRUCIAL BALLISTIX 3GB RUNNING@980MHZ 5-5-5-12
    RADEON HD 4870
    OCZ VENDETTA 2
    WINDOWS VISTA 32BIT
    average room temp 72-76c

Quote Originally Posted by NKD View Post
    I just tried this, I was able to flash the first gpu with ko edition bios and the second one would not flash, it says hierarchy mismatch error, I used the exact same command, but both cards are running at the ko edition speed because the second card overclocks itself to run at the first card speed, it is verified via gpu z, but when I tried to flash back the first gpu to original bios I got the same error, so both cards are running at the same speed but with differnet bios, I would like to actually get them to run with the same bios. I just want to know how you guys got to flash right, because it certainly wont do it for me with the above commands.
    That is completely normal and by design...the BIOS will be different by 1 digit - do not flash the same bios to both cards. Also, note that depending on what version of NVFlash you are using, you will get an error during the first attempt. Just hit F3 and run the same command line again and you will be fine.

Just adding to what Andre said...

There are 3 physcial adapters on this card:

- BRIDGE (i0)

- GTS Card 1 (i1)

- GTS Card 2 (i2)

1. Boot to DOS and backup the BIOS' of both cards (you can ignore the BRIDGE adapter) and save as i1.rom & i2.rom

- command: nvflash -b -i1 i1.rom <enter>

- command: nvflash -b -i2 i2.rom <enter>

2. Load your OS and edit both BIOS' with NiBitor and save as i1mod.rom & i2mod.rom

3. Boot back into DOS and run the following commands (again there is a bug in some versions of nvflash so if you get an error at first attempt just hit f3 and re-run it and you will be ok):

- command: nvflash -i1 i1mod.rom <enter>

- command: nvflash -i2 i2mod.rom <enter>

...now boot your OS and enjoy your new matched O/C clocks.

Let us know how it goes! -v
    Last edited by טּררđרר; 08-23-2008 at 08:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    Can you adjust fan speed in the bios as well as clocks like on the G80/G92 cards? I would like to set the fan speed to like 80-100% constant while also having higher clocks. I don't like installing softare to do the things that the card can do on its own.
    Yes, you can change the fan speed and how fast it ramps up etc. using NiBitor.

1. Open NiBitor and go to Tools/Read Bios/Select Device/OK ...then go to Tools/Read Bios/Read into NiBitor

2. Go to the 'Temperatures' tab.

3. Click the 'Fanspeed IC' button in the bottom right corner.

4. Adjust the temperatures to the desired rates so the fan ramps up quicker.

5. Save BIOS, boot to DOS and flash your edited BIOS with NVFlash.
    Last edited by טּררđרר; 08-23-2008 at 08:27 PM.

hi guys, first time posting here but I seriously seriously need your help here, n hopefully at least one of u have done an Nvidia GPU bios flashing lately.

I have been thinking about flashing my 9800 GX2 bios with a modded/OC'ed version of it. I use Nibitor v4.5a to extract the bios off my GPUs (there's 2 bios apparently, i assume due to the dual GPU), changed the clockrates n voltage n the fan speed on each of them, and I save them as rom files. I call them i1mod.rom and i2mod.rom.

Now I am using nvflash v5.63 dat i download off guru3d.com. However i have been having such a hard time with it for the past 3 days and no matter which version I use, it just keeps giving me problems. :cry:

First issue, I cannot use nvflash to create a backup of my bios (see pic below). Everytime i try it i keep getting the same error, dat write eeprom to file failed, I/O error: Cannot create file.

2nd issue, ok so I use nibitor to do so, n now i have a modded bios, n i wanna flash it onto the GPU. I get this error: I/O error: Cannot Open File: i1mod.rom

I've ran nvflash -r before hand but it doesnt do any difference. I see under help dat there's lots of other options but I dont wanna mess around with something I dont know.

I dont know if it has anything to do with my flash drive or how I booted into DOS (I use those tool discs dat comes with a brand new boxed HDD). Those are the only options i have to boot into DOS since I do not have a FD drive.

I really really do hope dat someone here could help me with this since there's not much found around the net to help me through it. Please help

p.s. sorry bout the huge screenshots, dont know how to make it into thumbnails.

Xtreme Member
    You need a floppy man =]
    - ASUS P5E (BIOS 1201+Microcode Update) 400 FSB - Intel E8500@3.8GHZ (1.28750 VCORE) - Thermalright HR120 Extreme - 8GB Corsair PC28500CS (1066 3:4) - 2*2TB Samsung -
    - EVGA GTX580 3GB - PCP&C 750W - Antec P-182SE - Plextor PX-760A - Plextor PX-W5224A - Samsung 245T - Razer Mamba - Razer Black Widow Ultimate - Razer Megalodon -

hi guys...need help on how to fix this on my 2nd 9800GX2 EVGA.. i just bought this from my friend days ago... for my QUAD SLI setup...but falied=(

heres the prob...
    no multi GPU enable/disable

installed latest driver...191.07, 190.XX.....Windows7 32bit... same prob...its just keep recognizing the other GPU(i think GPU1) as 8800GTS.. and no other vcard..only the EVGA 9800GX2 installed...
    do i need to flash this to a newr version? how?

i had also an XFX 9800GX2..but everythings doin fine...
    Last edited by sqw33d; 10-08-2009 at 10:24 AM.

anyone? pls help...=(