Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SPD Editor for DDR3 - How? Where?

Xtreme 3D Mark Team Staff

SPD Editor for DDR3 - How? Where?

SPDTool seems out of date since it wont read anything correctly.

Thaiphoon seems to need to be registerd to actually work, but who knows how you register it, since theres nothing to buy, or registry link anywhere.

systool is severly out of date.

SPD-Z does nothing...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    I know that with DDR3, SPDtool can save and write the SPDs, but not heard of any tools to edit the values/timings
    Last edited by Pyr0; 03-17-2008 at 04:43 PM.
    i950 (3035B684)
    Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
    3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800 7-8-7-24
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Asus Xonar DX
    128GB C300, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's
    Corsair AX850W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

the most I figured out so far, is how to make XMP profiles.

nothing too interesting about that.
    just wanna mess with the TRFC more then Bios will allow...

"The command and conquer model," said the EA CEO, "doesn't work. If you think you're going to buy a developer and put your name on the label... you're making a profound mistake."

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by Kunaak View Post
    just wanna mess with the TRFC more then Bios will allow...
    Yeah, why can't the board makers extend the range ffs

I've not really tried playing much, especially since my p5k3 died
    i950 (3035B684)
    Gigabyte EX58A-UD3R
    3x4GB G.Skill PC3-12800 7-8-7-24
    HIS Radeon HD 6970 2GB & Dell 3007WFP-HC
    Asus Xonar DX
    128GB C300, Velociraptor & Sammy F3's
    Corsair AX850W
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

if you want to get registration of Thaiphoon burner, you can try to email the author
    he'll tell how to get the registration
    I remember it takes about 50 USD
    but sometimes it takes a long time to wait for his reply...

its ok, I am 99% sure that even with registering, it wont work for DDR3.
    I went over to my friends house tonight to see if thaiphoon works on his PC, allowing him to edit and get full use of his ram.
    it works just fine for DDR2.

not having a fully working editor and such, isnt a program limit.
    its just the fact it doesnt yet support DDR3.

I'm not sure which part of ddr3 spd you need to edit
    but for xmp, it worked well in Thaiphoon Burner 5
    but I'm not sure if the checksum of DDR3 spd is correct
    that's the part I need more.....

Xtreme Addict
    I sent mail to W1zzard, he told month ago that SPDTool with DDR3 support is half done. He is very busy, and his utilities are simply the best - ATITool, SysTool, SPDTool, GPU-Z just to name a few.

Xtreme Addict
    Kunaak, if you have DDR3 SPD dump, you can send it to me, i'll do my best to help you.

Pure HEX in making XMP table and editing JEDEC table FTW
    180 pages of DDR3 JEDEC specification and 30 pages of XMP specs, jeez.
    Learning these Divisors and Dividends are little bit tricky.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	xs.JPG 
Views:	4528 
Size:	41.9 KB 
ID:	76591  
    Last edited by Kasparz; 04-14-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    The latest Thaiphoon Burner 5.0 fully supports DDR3 specification and XMP as well since last year. Here is some info http://cbid.amdclub.ru/html/thaiphoon_details.html
    Thaiphoon Burner 5.0 costs $99 USD. I can receive payment via WebMoney.
    Last edited by VVJ; 05-06-2008 at 08:54 AM.

xtreme energy
    $99 is too expensive if you ask. 20-30 would be max imo

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Try to find a better solution!

Xtreme Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi View Post
    Learn SPD programming and hex and you'll be able to make your own SPD, and lot of other hardware things too

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kasparz, are you sure it is so easy? Hm, ask Tony from OCZ first.

SSD faster than your HDD
    Quote Originally Posted by VVJ View Post

Editing an SPD using a hex editor is not hard, I am not sure where that came from and why Tony was mentioned?

Banned
    Yeah $99 is way to steep. Ill just wait for w1zzard, his tools are always TOP NOTCH! You also have to give him credit for releasing the stuff to the community for the love of overclocking, not the love of cash Not to mention free....

Banned
    Not to mention ANYONE can do this, just read up a little and get your calculator

Xtreme Addict
    I'm doing this almost every day. Hex editor+SPD Tool for flashing edited hex file. Just save edited hex file as .spd and thats it. Yeah, chance of bricking stick is VERY high if you haven't got enough knowledge what you are doing about, but even with software you can brick memory. Its all up to users, either they want to use software, or manual hex. 99$ isn't that much for this kind of utility. What i could do editing hex by manual, some bytes by trial and error, until various boards read it correctly would take me few hours for few bytes. That could be done with software in few minutes. I'm not talking about techies with industry EEPROM flashers etc, but about enthusiasts out there.
    Mostly what i have is one DDR3 spd with proper preprogrammed JEDEC table and module specifications, that can be used for making SPD extensions. First of all, you make memory specs+jedec table, and that will make you sure that editing additional bytes won't cause failed post.
    Tony is, I'm afraid to say Nr.1 memory guy I've ever seen with lots and lots of knowledge, but this has nothing to do with him.
    If you're wondering, I'm not working in any memory company, so i have no serious memory manufacturing equipment, and no knowledge from manufacturer, college or else, I've get this by spending months reading useless geek pdf's and howto's going through trial and error, because memory is my favorite piece of hardware, and thats what I'm interested in. Yeah, you might think why the hell 19yr old guy would be so interested in memory spd programming. Don't ask, i have no idea.
    Lately manufacturers make that flimsy SPD's, that i have no idea, what engineers are for. XMP ready modules with bricked XMP profiles, wrong JEDEC tables(yes, JEDEC has standarts about settings at various speeds), wrong JEDEC speeds, that cause board trying to boot at higher freq with stock SSTL voltage, and not reflashing their SPD after purchasing from original manufacturer, and some too tight values due to not enough R&D. And that has been done I'm afraid to say by almost all memory manufacturers.
    Last edited by Kasparz; 05-06-2008 at 01:41 PM.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Kasparz,
    Yeah, you might think why the hell 19yr old guy would be so interested in memory spd programming. Don't ask, i have no idea.
    Well, I think they are interested in spd programming just for fun, but not for overclocking as one man said. To change a JEDEC manufacturer id is the most fun thing for them. LOL! So, if you need any SPD firmwares in my on-line database let me know!

Xtreme Addict
    JEDEC manufacturer ID you cant change to your name, unless you pay for JEDEC to become registered JEDEC member and then you will have hex values, that denotes your JEDEC manufacturer ID.
    But you can write something in s/n bytes.

Xtreme Addict
    Today flashed wrong one Qimonda stick. Missed bank count. It failed to boot after that at all. Then hotplugged on Striker II Extreme, after that spd tool was able to read and reflash spd.

Xtreme Member
    Does any SPD programming software work with DDR3 SO-DIMM? Have Samsung PC12800 in my laptop with 11-11-11 timings wanna tweak them down if possible? Does any of the windows memory timings programs work with haswell?

It depends on the chipset of the mainboard. Anyway, I think Thaiphoon Burner is your only option on more recent platforms.

Quote Originally Posted by chew* View Post
    You can never have enough D9's.

all outta gum
    SPD Tool has last worked on P45 and X58 - you might be able to find a Core 2 Duo laptop to flash it.
    www.teampclab.pl
    MOA 2009 Poland #2, AMD Black Ops 2010, MOA 2011 Poland #1, MOA 2011 EMEA #12

Test bench: empty

Xtreme Enthusiast
    LivingL@rGe81, there's no way to reprogram SPD of Samsung DRAM modules since they come with enabled Reversible Write Protection for the first 128 bytes of SPD. Hynix, Micron and Nanya/Elixir protect SPD EEPROM too. Software is not capable of unlocking protected SPD bytes. Also, keep in mind that Intel does not like SPD reprogramming on laptops. For this reason the SMBus Controller of all mobile Intel 8-series chipsets for Haswell CPU is required to be programmed by BIOS specifically in order to ignore Write commands for addresses 50h-57h (SPD EEPROM devices) what means that the user will cannot reprogram all 256 bytes of SPD. It's a real shame for Intel!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast