Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: New version OCCT stability test

Xtreme Member
    i think in the new OCCT they use the same as P95 code for testing the CPU. which is a good thing.
    Q6600 g0 L741 1.4V@35xx-> 8x44x FSB - 5:6 333/800- 2x2gb OCZ XTC Plats@53x mhz - dfi lp X38 TR2, Ultra Xtreme 120 - W7 64Bit - NV GTX275 - Corsair 520 (blew up) -> Toughpower 750W

Xtreme Enthusiast
    I love this version. They took one of the best products for stress testing and made it alot better.
    As Los Alamos director J. Robert Oppenheimer watched the demonstration, he later said that a line from the Hindu scripture the Bhagavad Gita came to mind:
    "I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
    Test director Kenneth Bainbridge in turn said to Oppenheimer, "Now we are all sons of b**ches." wiki

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flexy View Post
    i think in the new OCCT they use the same as P95 code for testing the CPU. which is a good thing.
    We do share some code, yes. i'm using the same libraries (gwnum) and some code for the CPU test was taken out of Prime95 ( which reminds me i completly forgot to mention that in the thanks.txt file). That's why you see a huge *bump* in temperature in the cpu test from 1.1.1b and 2.0.0.

However, the calculations are radically different, using different home-made algorithm which uses a part of the routines of Prime95 (they have proved very effective).

You could call that a "mix" between proven routines and home-made code

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fragmasterMax View Post
    I love this version. They took one of the best products for stress testing and made it alot better.
    Many thanks for your cheers guys, i have to say i'm really proud of what OCCT has become I'm not earning a single $ on OCCT, i'm just going on for "fun", so those cheers are really appreciated

Xtreme Mentor
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetedeiench View Post
    Many thanks for your cheers guys, i have to say i'm really proud of what OCCT has become I'm not earning a single $ on OCCT, i'm just going on for "fun", so those cheers are really appreciated
    I'm sure many here would donate some money to thank you your superb work

PS: Including me of course
    Last edited by STaRGaZeR; 03-19-2008 at 07:07 AM.
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Mentor
    I know I would.
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Xtreme Addict
    We do share some code, yes. i'm using the same libraries (gwnum) and some code for the CPU test was taken out of Prime95 ( which reminds me i completly forgot to mention that in the thanks.txt file). That's why you see a huge *bump* in temperature in the cpu test from 1.1.1b and 2.0.0.

However, the calculations are radically different, using different home-made algorithm which uses a part of the routines of Prime95 (they have proved very effective).

You could call that a "mix" between proven routines and home-made code
    Can you explain how you feel that OCCT is better at stress testing than PRIME95? I'm just trying to understand the differences and how they translate into what people perceive as finding instability sooner. I'm somewhat skeptical of this claim.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by virtualrain View Post
    Can you explain how you feel that OCCT is better at stress testing than PRIME95? I'm just trying to understand the differences and how they translate into what people perceive as finding instability sooner. I'm somewhat skeptical of this claim.
    Really tough question, and pertinent as well

OCCT uses some, not all, routines of P95. That does not mean OCCT and P95 are the same tools. Think of those routines as an engine : you won't say that every car with the same engine is the same, right ? Some will still be faster, more comfortable, etc.

Well, to begin with, OCCT has 2 engines, Prime95 has only one. RAM and CPU tests are drastically different in OCCT, P95's tests are alike, except datum. OCCT and P95 do not share any data either : we're not working on the same number sets, and the routines working with those sets are a bit different in OCCT CPU, and really different in OCCT RAM.

OCCT comes with alot of features that P95 doesn't have (graphs, monitoring,...). But that's not the topic, just mentioning it.

Problem is i can't answer you with a mathematical proof showing you OCCT is faster.

The errors generated in a CPU are random. You don't have any rule governing that, or rather the rules are so complicated, random and impossible to design at the moment. So we can't predict when or what will make a computation error happen. What P95 and OCCT do is make those errors likely to happen, that's about it.

And how do we do that ? Well, by the old empirical method : try, try, and try, and sometimes, you'll stumble on something good. For example, a number you're working on that has a higher probability to raise errors, for some reason. Do not ask me why ! It's just a fact.

And thus i'll be using this number.

And so on.

OCCT has been around for... em, i don't even remember. I'd say 5 years now. In those 5 years, i've worked on gathering those data, taking beta testers results and "feelings", and improved OCCT.

So yes, i can't prove you that OCCT is better. There will always be cases where a failure will be detected by one program and not by the other. Prime95 is still a great tool, and i don't deny its value here. I'm just saying that, in general, OCCT tends to be faster at making errors happen. And i can't prove it. It's just reports of people who say that OCCT is faster, and there have been alot of them.

OCCT and Prime95, even if they share some code, are completly different tools, and i always advise people to use several tools, as to get a better idea at how stable their computer is.

I won't say my tool is the best, i'd just say that right now OCCT seems to be a bit faster according to user experience, and comes with more features.

The more tools the merrier !

My goal is not to steal anything from prime95... i'm just working on another tool for people to get a better idea of how stable their overclock is.

PS : dunno if i said it here, but i'm french, so if you see some spelling mistakes and such, just ignore them, english is not my native language

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by STaRGaZeR View Post
    I'm sure many here would donate some money to thank you your superb work

PS: Including me of course

Thanks

I didn't post that to get some money in fact... i'm happy as i am There are some things OCCT gives me that are priceless (for instance, it's on my resume, and, as you can guess, this draws alot of attention).

There's a donate link on my website, but it is not visible enough. It's shown on " http://www.ocbase.com ", before choosing your language.

I'll try to make a news about that... we'll see.

Still, sometimes, fun things happen. I was working on OCCT in a train (i had a 1 hour-long trip to do), and i was debugging. The guy that was sitting next to me told me (i'm translating, so it won't be 100% accurate) :
    - "Wow, you're not afraid of stress testing your laptop when it's on battery ? I'd rather avoid it if i were you"
    - "Well, i'm not stress-testing, i'm debugging"
    *** 3 seconds pause ***
    - "debugging ?"
    - "That's my own tool, i made some modifications and i'm testing them"
    - "You mean you're tetedeiench ?"
    - "Yes, that's me. I'm amazed you know my nickname"

Turned out the guy had been using OCCT for 2 years, and had been using it the previous week I gave him a tour of the code and stuff, and that was one of the shortest trip i've ever done

That as fun

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks Tetedeiench, <3 OCCT.
    MB Reviewer for HWC
    Team OCX Bench Team

Xtreme Mentor
    Haha what a coincidence, at least the trip was short and you enjoyed it
    Friends shouldn't let friends use Windows 7 until Microsoft fixes Windows Explorer (link)

Quote Originally Posted by PerryR, on John Fruehe (JF-AMD) View Post
    Pretty much. Plus, he's here voluntarily.

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the overview!

It may be that your tool is better at uncovering CPU instability quicker, but it's nearly impossible to prove and I still am skeptical of any such claims. As you say, CPU errors are random.

At any rate, I will add this to my overclocking tool chest again. I used it previously on my current OC and found that I was OCCT stable for an hour when PRIME95 would fail in about 15 seconds. I also found that none of the monitoring worked in x64 due to unsigned drivers.

I really agree with using multiple tools... PRIME95, OCCT, 3dMark, Memtest, Games, etc.

Side story... I remember back in the 80's and early 90's that the way you could test if your PC was "IBM Compatible" was to run Microsoft Flight Simulator (most current version of the day). I guess MS Flight Sim was one of the first stability tests!
    Last edited by virtualrain; 03-19-2008 at 11:20 AM.

Xtreme Mentor
    Great story, the world truly is a small place!

I have a question if you don't mind. With cpu errors being 'random', would you say there is a certain amount of time that should pass before one should feel the 'random error' should have occurred by now if one were to happen at all? People say you should prime a minimum of 8+h before you can be sure of stability, what would you say a duration of time should be when using OCCT? Have you found that after a certain amount of time passing, no errors would appear if the system truly was stable and passed that threshold of when an error would/should have occured if the system truly was unstable? In CPU testing mode how long would you personally feel your system is 100&#37; stable as long as OCCT passed successfully? And in RAM mode?
    Silverstone Temjin TJ-09BW w/ Silverstone DA750
    Asus P8P67
    2600K w/ Thermalright Venomous X Black w/ Sanyo Denki San Ace 109R1212H1011
    8GB G.Skill DDR-1600 7-8-7-24
    Gigabyte GTX 460 1G
    Modded Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Klipsch Promedia 2.1
    1 X 120GB OCZ Vertex
    1 X 300GB WD Velociraptor HLFS
    1 X Hitachi 7K1000 1TB
    Pioneer DVR-216L DVD-RW
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Quote Originally Posted by alexio View Post
    From the hip and aim at the kitchen if she doesn't approve your purchases. She'll know better next time.

Xtreme Addict
    Very impressive program, many thanks for all the hard work put into the creation of this tool.

If I had any money to spare I'd donate some as well haha! Sadly, I have approximately $7 in the bank :P

Xtreme Member
    Why I'm getting a black screen during the test if I don't disable the screensaver ?? Running on vista 32bit
    2x Asus P8Z68-V PRO Bios 0501
    i7 2600K @ 4.6GHz 1.325v / i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.300v
    2x G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600
    Plextor M5P 256GB SSD / Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
    Seasonic X-1050 PSU / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold PSU
    EVGA GTX 690 (+135%/+100MHz/+200MHz/75%) / EVGA GTX 680 SC Signature+ (+130%/+80MHz/+200MHz/70%)

Xtreme Cruncher
    thanks for the heads up on this
    Nikon User
    Nikon D200 (Gone =( )/D300
    Nikkor 18-105mm(Gone) // Nikkor 50mm 1.8 // Nikkor 55-200VR(Gone)
    Tokina 12-24 // Tamron 90mm //
    Manfrotto & Benro Legs // Benro Ballhead.

Current Lust = 80-200 Or 70-200VR1 <--Pending

No more computer parts for me... Well for now until I
    really REALLY need to upgrade.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantankerous View Post
    Great story, the world truly is a small place!

I have a question if you don't mind. With cpu errors being 'random', would you say there is a certain amount of time that should pass before one should feel the 'random error' should have occurred by now if one were to happen at all? People say you should prime a minimum of 8+h before you can be sure of stability, what would you say a duration of time should be when using OCCT? Have you found that after a certain amount of time passing, no errors would appear if the system truly was stable and passed that threshold of when an error would/should have occured if the system truly was unstable? In CPU testing mode how long would you personally feel your system is 100&#37; stable as long as OCCT passed successfully? And in RAM mode?
    I can't give you a 100% accurate answer, but personally, i think 4 hours of P95 is enough. Thus i'd advise you to run OCCT for 4 hours, Mix test or CPU followed by RAM. Mind you, this advice is as good as any other given by anybody... it's just my own opinion

Seems a bug was dicovered with very long tests where monitoring never updates its value, after some time... I'm working on it
    Last edited by Tetedeiench; 03-20-2008 at 03:46 AM.

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by icecpu View Post
    Why I'm getting a black screen during the test if I don't disable the screensaver ?? Running on vista 32bit
    It just means that your screensaver is trying to launch, and as OCCT is taking all the CPU, it can't.

nothing to worry about

Xtreme Member
    Thanks for the overview!

It may be that your tool is better at uncovering CPU instability quicker, but it's nearly impossible to prove and I still am skeptical of any such claims. As you say, CPU errors are random.

At any rate, I will add this to my overclocking tool chest again. I used it previously on my current OC and found that I was OCCT stable for an hour when PRIME95 would fail in about 15 seconds. I also found that none of the monitoring worked in x64 due to unsigned drivers.

I really agree with using multiple tools... PRIME95, OCCT, 3dMark, Memtest, Games, etc.

Side story... I remember back in the 80's and early 90's that the way you could test if your PC was "IBM Compatible" was to run Microsoft Flight Simulator (most current version of the day). I guess MS Flight Sim was one of the first stability tests!
    Yes, it's entirely impossible to prove.. and thus user experience is the only way to get an idea of what's going on.

My personal view of this stuff is "Don't give alot of credit to a test passed, but trust the tool that detected an instability". OCCT will, in its stable versions, never report a "false positive", that is an error detected when everything was fine with the hardware.

An error detected is a 100% accurate report, no error detected is just... probability that your computer is stable. The longer the test, the better the probability is. But it's only a probability

Xtreme Addict
    Thanks for the overview!

I also used to trust prime95 small FFT for CPU only testing. Now, that OCCT in CPU mode loads the CPU as much as Prime95, I use both of them. But who wins, I won't be able to answer it, maybe none would be able to do.

However, Small FFT is no longer enough to say an overclock is stable or not. Small FFT/CPOU test will let you adjust the vcore, vPLL and vFSB.

The RAM mode of OCCT gives overclock stability testing a big boost. People often wonder why Prime95 small FFT is stable while games crash in few minutes and F@H bugs. RAM and NB stability account a big part in an overclock. Many people know it well and use Prime95 Blend test for that, or even memtest.
    OCCT in RAM mode really outperforms Prime95 Blend/large FFT and memtest (memtest is still the only program testing the whole RAM integrity because it runs in a dos mode, but it won't heat the RAM or NB as OCCT or Prime95 Blend). Prime95 Blend can be stable for 10h when OCCT in RAM mode will fail in few minutes, usually in less than 20mn, and rarely above 2h. Anandtech now also use OCCT in their tests rather than Prime95, must be a reason there, right?

OCCT in mix mode will alternate CPU and RAM tests, so it will be much more efficient in detecting instabilities than Prime95.

If you read some of the other threads in Intel section, you'll see that many people noted it, Blend mode in Prime95 eating banana comapred to OCCT in RAM mode

And yes, I do agree that people looking for ultimate stability should use many benchmarking programs not only one
    Q6600 G0 L740B126 Lapped, 2x1Gb Kingston HyperX DDR2-1200
    Gigabyte 8800 GTS 512Mb OC 756-1890-1000
    TT Toughpower 750 W (W0116) new 8xPCI-E Rev.
    Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400 AAKS rocks
    WC: Swiftech H2O-Apex Ultra 220 GT + PA120.3 5v
    OCZ XTC RAM Cooler, HR-05 IFX + 80mm FAN (NB), 2x HR-09U type 2 (mosfets), Modded Zalman ZM NB-47J (SB), Arctic-Cooling MX-2
    Vista 32 bits
    ------------
    - ASUS P5K Premium bios 0612: (3.84GHz 8x480) @1.432v

------------
    - P5B Deluxe: 3.60GHz (9x400) @1.33v *** Old Setup (P5B deluxe)

OCCT 2.x Final Download

I would like to give my thanks to the creator of this magnificent tool.

I just tried it a few hours ago, and it took only 30 minutes to give errors where Orthos never reported anything after 28 hours. I know it sounds almost impossible I guess but it is the truth. I've changed a few new settings in the BIOS after that, and it ran for 2 hours and 15 minutes under High Priority, CPU & RAM testing without a single error.

I'll be using this program from now on.
    CPU: Intel C2D E8400 @ 3.8Ghz / OCZ Vendetta & AS5
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X38-DQ6 BIOS F8
    Memory: OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-6400 4GB @ 846Mhz
    GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX285 @ Stock
    PSU: Corsair TX750W
    APU: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Xtreme Mentor
    Are there any new updates to the program?
    Gigabyte EP45-DQ6 - rev 1.0, F13a bios | Intel Q9450 Yorkfield 413x8=3.3GHz | OCZ ProXStream 1000W PSU | Azuen X-Fi Prelude 64MB X-RAM| WD VelociRaptor 74HLFS-01G6U0 16MB cache 74GB - 2 drive RAID 0 64k stripe | ASUS 9800GT Ultimate 512MB RAM (128 SP!!) | G.SKILL PC2-8800 4GB kit @ 1100MHz | OCZ ATV Turbo 4GB USB flash | Scythe Ninja Copper + Scythe 120mm fan | BenQ M2400HD 24" 16:9 LCD | Plextor 716SA 0308; firmware 1.11 | Microsoft Wireless Entertainment Desktop 8000 | Netgear RangeMax DG834PN 108mbps; firmware 1.03.39 + HAWKING HWUG1 108mbps USB dongle | Digital Doc 5+ | 7 CoolerMaster 80mm blue LED fans | Aopen H700A tower case | Vista Home Premium - 32bit, SP1

Xtreme Member
    Thanks

I didn't post that to get some money in fact... i'm happy as i am There are some things OCCT gives me that are priceless (for instance, it's on my resume, and, as you can guess, this draws alot of attention).

There's a donate link on my website, but it is not visible enough. It's shown on " http://www.ocbase.com ", before choosing your language.

I'll try to make a news about that... we'll see.

Still, sometimes, fun things happen. I was working on OCCT in a train (i had a 1 hour-long trip to do), and i was debugging. The guy that was sitting next to me told me (i'm translating, so it won't be 100% accurate) :
    - "Wow, you're not afraid of stress testing your laptop when it's on battery ? I'd rather avoid it if i were you"
    - "Well, i'm not stress-testing, i'm debugging"
    *** 3 seconds pause ***
    - "debugging ?"
    - "That's my own tool, i made some modifications and i'm testing them"
    - "You mean you're tetedeiench ?"
    - "Yes, that's me. I'm amazed you know my nickname"

Turned out the guy had been using OCCT for 2 years, and had been using it the previous week I gave him a tour of the code and stuff, and that was one of the shortest trip i've ever done

That as fun
    Cheers for your great tool m8. Been using it for quite a while now
    Too bad there's no OCCT Pro anymore ...
    Problems with your OCZ product? Please drop me a mail or a PM and we'll solve it
    Du bevorzugst Support auf Deutsch? Hier geht's zum deutschen OCZ Support Forum.

Xtreme Member
    i am using OCCT for a long time already, long before mayn even knew about it ( I could dig out some old threads where i posted on various forums that i found this great stabilty testing tool which finds errors faster than P95 This was like 4+ years ago, i think.

For me OCCT is the "standard" OC testing tool and it gotten even better now - although it's like a love/hate relationship since my nerves surely got wrecked more than one time getting some OC stable...so i "hate" OCCT every time it stops and gives me an error .)

I also agree that a whole range of *selected* tools is best for testing, eg. windows memtest is very good for memory testing. But OCCT is very compact, and 2hrs +/- on "mix" or "CPU" followed by "MEM" is a very good, compact stability test already.
    Q6600 g0 L741 1.4V@35xx-> 8x44x FSB - 5:6 333/800- 2x2gb OCZ XTC Plats@53x mhz - dfi lp X38 TR2, Ultra Xtreme 120 - W7 64Bit - NV GTX275 - Corsair 520 (blew up) -> Toughpower 750W

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast