Thread: Finished P180 build with pics

Xtreme Member

Finished P180 build with pics

First off, thanks to all the helpful and knowledgeable folks around here for all your collective insight. This is a fantastic little subcommunity. Even though this was my first WC build, it was effortless because of all the information here.

Parts list:
    Iwaki MD20-RZT
    FuZion CPU block with 4.4mm nozzle and a modified ProMount
    PA120.3
    7/16 ID tubing
    3 sets of Koolance V3 quick disconnects
    Sunbeam Rheobus
    Lots of Sanyo Denki and Yate Loon fans

My design goals were to keep the interior of my case (more specifically the motherboard area) as clean as possible so that there would be plenty of airflow over the critical areas. This led me to route my tubing and radiator externally. As the pics below reveal, I am clearly not interested in bling.

First up is the interior:

As you can see, I hacked out the upper hard drive bay and the PSU area so I could put my Iwaki down below. This serves two purposes. First, it places my tubing in the back out of the way where I wanted it. Second, since the Iwaki runs so hot, I wanted it isolated from the critical areas. This required me to move my PSU to the upper chamber. I cut a hole in the upper chamber so I could actively cool the pump (you can't tell from the pick but the underside of the pump is elevated so air can blow all around it). I also placed a fan in the optical drive bays (upper right corner) that can't be seen.

Here is a better picture of the PSU:

The rheobus sits atop the PSU. Kind of ugly there, but as the wires don't impede airflow, it didn't matter. You can also see the PA120.3 mounted up top. I have it attached with wing nuts so it can be easily moved out a window for cold NYC benching sessions. Home Depot was out of brackets so I had to get creative. Meh. Ugly but very functional.

Here is a closeup of the block area:

You can see that I inserted a threaded rod into one of the mobo standoffs; this is what supports the fan over the RAM/Northbridge area. Since my IHS is removed, I could not get sufficient pressure from the ProMount. So I cut off the spring assembly, turned it upside down so the flanges angled upwards instead of downwards, and strapped it down with screws through the backplate.

Here is the front (which is a total hack job):

Not too much to say here other than I LOVE having my power supply switch near the power/reset buttons. It seems so obvious now, but I had never thought about it before. You can also see I added a fan at the bottom in front of the lower hard drive chamber.

Finally, the back of the case:

It's a little hard to see what's going on here - sorry about that. I was a little too aggressive on my T-line; I will probably trim that down at some point. I used the quick disconnects to form three independent systems - the rad, the block, and the pump. Any one of them can be easily removed without affecting the others. You might also notice that two of them are right angled. I figured I had more than enough flow with my Iwaki so took a few otherwise avoidable liberties. My last little trick was to create an extension tube using quick disconnects. When I want to put the rad out the window, I will insert this section between the rad and the inlet to the case (all the way up top) allowing me to move it easily.

Well, it has been a blast building this. Not the prettiest, but I am very happy with the result nonetheless. Thanks again for all the help!
    DFI LP UT P35-T2R | E8400 Q743A748 - IHS removed
    Team Xtreme PC2 9600 2x1GB | Auzentech XPlosion
    PCP+C Silencer 750W | 2x36GB Raptors RAID-0 | XFX 7800GT
    Iwaki MD20-RZT | FuZion - 4.4mm - modified ProMount | PA120.3

Xtreme Addict
    Clean it up and give it some UV lights or led/uv fans. Also a better cable management would be needed. Great hardware en WC stuff, but that thing is butt ugly

I see in you're sig you run a naked e8400? How are the temps?
    >i5-3570K
    >Asrock Z77E-ITX Wifi
    >Asus GTX 670 Mini
    >Cooltek Coolcube Black
    >CM Silent Pro M700
    >Crucial M4 128Gb Msata
    >Cooler Master Seidon 120M
    Hell yes its a mini-ITX gaming rig!

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Hey, I'm sure it really gets the job done for sure with that pump and nozzle!

Question on the IHS-less 8400...is that still soldered to the die or some sort of phase-change/goop material like on the Allendales (21xx)?
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ownage View Post
    Clean it up and give it some UV lights or led/uv fans. Also a better cable management would be needed. Great hardware en WC stuff, but that thing is butt ugly
    I am obviously coming from a different place regarding aesthetics! To me, the functionality is the most beautiful element of my design. UV lights and other such accouterments serve me no purpose (though I certainly respect others who are into that sort of thing).
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM
    Hey, I'm sure it really gets the job done for sure with that pump and nozzle!

Question on the IHS-less 8400...is that still soldered to the die or some sort of phase-change/goop material like on the Allendales (21xx)?
    My chip was wicked hot before removing the IHS and was wicked hot after. Hardly any appreciable temp improvement. That's what motivated the water build (which garnered me somewhere in the neighborhood of 15C improvement at load).

"Solder" is far too strong of a term. There was some stuff there, but the lid popped off on its own while I was razoring the edges without even requiring the application of any heat. Here's a pic:

Chasing After Diety
    ROFL... nice move putting the psu up front. Now you have a face or leg heater!

But anyhow, nice build!
    Nadeshiko: i7 990 12GB DDR3 eVGA Classified *In Testing... Jealous? *
    Miyuki: W3580 6GB DDR3 P6T-Dlx
    Lind: Dual Gainestown 3.07
    Sammy: Dual Yonah Sossoman cheerleader. *Sammy-> Lind.*

[12:37] skinnee: quit helping me procrastinate block reviews, you asshat. :p
    [12:38] Naekuh: i love watching u get the firing squad on XS
    Its my fault.. and no im not sorry about it either.

Xtreme Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by ixtapalapaquetl View Post
    My chip was wicked hot before removing the IHS and was wicked hot after. Hardly any appreciable temp improvement. That's what motivated the water build (which garnered me somewhere in the neighborhood of 15C improvement at load).

"Solder" is far too strong of a term. There was some stuff there, but the lid popped off on its own while I was razoring the edges without even requiring the application of any heat. Here's a pic:

Excellent photo, really helps confirm things. Looks like solder to me...so no funky thermals like on the paste/??? interface of lesser cpu's (I'm still waiting to beat on an 8500 if they ever become available). How high Orthos stable does that one go?
    C2D E8400 @ 4.4 Ghz
    Asus P5K Deluxe
    Nvidia 8800 GTS @ 648/900
    2GB Ballistix
    Dtek, Swiftech & EK blocks, 2x D5, PA120.3, 2, & 1.
    WD Raptor X 150GB & Seagate 7200.10 320GB
    X-Fi Prelude
    Corsair HX620
    Silverstone TJ07
    Dell 2407 WFP

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    Excellent photo, really helps confirm things. Looks like solder to me...so no funky thermals like on the paste/??? interface of lesser cpu's (I'm still waiting to beat on an 8500 if they ever become available). How high Orthos stable does that one go?
    4.2GHz+ with insane temps on air, 4.3GHz on water.

Xtreme Member
    looks well done from a technical standpoint and since this is the first build, its the most important, you can only improve from here! nj!

Xtreme Member
    good WC man ,
    Is your Radiator a Thermochill ???
    Can you post Temps ??
    Idle and Load ??
    i7 920, HD4870X2
    Corsair 6GB 1800MHZ
    GigaByte X58 Xtreme,

Xtreme Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lior307 View Post
    good WC man ,
    Is your Radiator a Thermochill ???
    Can you post Temps ??
    Idle and Load ??
    Yes, Thermochill PA120.3. Current ambients are about 27C. Despite RealTemp's adjusted Tjmax, I am still skeptical about my temperatures' accuracy. You should have seen the load temps on air!!!

Idle:

Load:

Xtreme Member
    That's one ugly rig. That pump is massive. Makes me wonder if it would have fit in my case. What model?
    PC
    CPU: Q6600 Mobo: XFX 780i Ram: 4gb OCZ Platinum 1066mhz VGA: XFX GeForce 8800 gts 512mb HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500gb x 2 Case: Silverstone tj07
    Cooling
    CPU: D-tek Fuzion, quad nozzle + washer NB: ViperJohn 780i SPP/NF200 waterblock VGA: EK-FC88 GT/GTS (G92) Rad: PA120.2 Fans: Noctua NF-P12-1300 x 4 Reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-Micro Tubing: Tygon R-3603 1/2" ID 5/8" OD Pump: Swiftech MCP655 vario